Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Packard Goose posted:

I can't beleive there is autotune in metal.
You didn't notice Kamelot's obnoxious tendency to autotune the gently caress out of everything recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

IRQ posted:

Roy Kahn's voice, like many, many others, is processed a bit on the albums, but I've heard him live many times and he is quite good and not reliant upon computer processing to sound good. Recently? I don't know. I really didn't care for their last album at all so I don't know, but the guy does have a great voice.
That's really the part that bothers me: he doesn't need it, and yet they do it anyway. Ghost Opera seems particularly bad about it.

Sexbomb posted:

Did anyone else see them on the tour with Fabio? I almost got to interview them, but their label never got back to my editor.
I saw them a few months back; obviously Fabio has a bit of a different style from Roy Khan, but still a great show. Apparently they're already writing their next album even before they pick a new lead singer, which may be interesting.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

IRQ posted:

I wish I could believe that Dragonforce is a joke band, but then I remember that time I had the misfortune of seeing Powerglove (I was there for Symphony X) and people were totally into it.
Dragonforce became famous for a video that portrayed a dueling-guitar solo as the two guitarists playing a video game against each other. I don't think they're in much danger of taking themselves too seriously.

They still only have effectively one song after 4? albums, so I guess if you really, really love that song you should buy their albums and hear 20 variations on it?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nordick posted:

Karevik sounds great, but uh, perhaps they're going a bit overboard with the Khan-mimicry? I'm not really complaining, it's just a bit funny.
It occurs to me that they probably wrote a good portion of this album before they knew who the new singer was going to be.

Also, I wonder if this means Alissa White-Gluz is going to be a permanent fixture on their tours now in addition to Elize Ryd.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Radio Paranoia posted:

Well since you were looking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxvaL8QKUjM

Yeah, I actually like the sound of bagpipes and this would be a half decent song with some guitars playing a couple of the melodies, sadly, that is not the case. They are pretty interesting to watch live though.
Ah yes, the trombone, a traditional Celtic metal instrument.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kumbamontu posted:

Karnivool's Asymmetry blew me away as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJhfVNeJKaA
I found Asymmetry kind of... uneven, I guess? :haw: Their previous album, Sound Awake, is a bit less weird.

There's also a prog rock thread for all of your not-metal-but-still-wanky recommendation needs (Steven Wilson).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Those On My Left posted:

Asymmetry was a big disappointment to me. Sonically, it's muddy as hell. As far as the songwriting goes, it is, as you say, hugely uneven. There's not much to get excited about after track 5.
From beyond that point, Aeons and Sky Machine are both up there with the stuff on Sound Awake, but a lot of the other tracks are forgettable. Also I can't unhear the snare drum, which is mixed way too high for most of the album.

Also tossing in a recommendation for Symphony X as a prog-metal band to check out, since Michael Romeo is some sort of insane guitar-playing robot.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Someone mentioned Vanden Plas a couple pages ago. Apparently they have a new album out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwKckeSE2ug
From what I can tell of this song, it sounds exactly like their last two albums, but I'm okay with that.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Some impressions of the new as-yet-untitled Opeth album. Depending on your point of view, you will either be disappointed or excited that it's apparently the love child of Ghost Reveries and Damnation (and also that there's no growling on this album either).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Detective Thompson posted:

Hey, recommend some metal songs/albums about the sea aside from Mastodon's Leviathan and The Ocean's Pelagial.
Oh, come on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDIkDOtAuoo

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Omnikin posted:

I would pay to see Red Fang and then get out before the parking lot traffic starts
I was at the SF show last week and Red Fang played a really short set, maybe 25 minutes. Opeth played 7 songs from 6 albums, but they're 7 Opeth songs so that was still a pretty long time. In Flames felt like they played forever but I never got into them so I'm not sure whether it's because they sucked or because all of their songs sounded kind of the same to me.

Also, in honor of #metalgate, anyone have any feminist metal to share? (edit) To be clear, I'm talking about metal with explicit feminist themes, not just metal bands with women in them.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 16, 2014

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Gojira are loving great live.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

comes along bort posted:

It's not that weird. There's a huge overlap between people who like Meshuggah and dweeby prog stuff. Though I'd hazard a guess that band probably got their Meshuggah influence second hand through crap like Periphery or Hacktivist.
Karnivool is pretty good for that sort of style, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_E5ae9ZTwk

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The only band shirt I own is a Red Fang shirt I bought because it's the only one I'd seen from a band I liked that didn't look like Jackson Pollock threw up on it.

Trees and Squids posted:

I know we've got some Leprous fans around here. They just released a new song from their upcoming album. I think it's real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G9Qd_84YZs
I thought Coal was Real Good and this makes me happy.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's some pretty cool album art. Here's some pretty lame album art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z3AHbjeb1U
Can they release an instrumental version of this album so I can just listen to the insane guitar-playing robot and not have to stand those loving lyrics?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I feel like I saw something about the latest Caligula's Horse album months ago and then forgot it existed until now. Australia has a bunch of good prog bands for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqaHgRUJXQ0

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Babymetal is actually good and cool, though?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Vargatron posted:

Next topic: Ethics in video game metal journalism.
Didn't someone try to make "GamerGate for metal" a thing that went over even more poorly?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Faffel posted:

Vader chat got me to go check out the Beast, found out Vader have apparently uploaded the album on their own youtube channel in high quality.
There are a bunch of random YouTube channels that got added recently for the express purpose of filling out the catalog for Google's strangely-named subscription service. It might be one of those.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

A human heart posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Paul Chain recently and one of the cool things about him is that he doesn't have any lyrics, he sings in this weird phonetic language that sometimes results in recognisable words and sometimes doesn't.
You can sing complete nonsense using actual English words, too; The Mars Volta is an obvious example.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

TollTheHounds posted:

High on Fire was pretty good actually, kind of like if Motorhead was actually any good. I bought a tote bag.
I sincerely wish these two sentences fit in a thread title.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

TollTheHounds posted:

As for your bold claim about Pirate Metal not being a Genre...
Pirate Metal is as much a genre as Whalecore.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Bal-Sagoth is back?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Varg posted:

also, tote bags are OUT, coffee is IN!
Metalocalypse is a documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFURd_EOIuU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm totally down with '70s prog and holy gently caress did I love Opeth at one point, but jesus they're really terrible at this.
Yeah, I keep trying to like New Opeth, but it's just really boring for the most part. Maybe Mikael Akerfeldt should spend even more time around Steven Wilson and maybe the latter's songwriting ability will rub off on him.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm a Shitface McPissypants, but Haken's Affinity is probably still my #1 of 2016
:agreed: and "Earthrise" and its cheesy 80s video is my jam. I could never get into The Mountain the same way for some reason.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm digging it, but I thought the singles for the last two albums were pretty solid and then both of them had a bunch of dead weight tacked on. We shall see!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

tote up a bags posted:

Good news, Opeth didn't meltdown after making Watershed, they just changed their name to Soen. Lykaia is probably going to be my album of the year and it's only Feb.
This seems a lot better than the earlier Soen stuff I'd heard: the earlier albums mostly just sounded like a less interesting Tool.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Chromatic posted:

Brann and Troy actually sound pretty good live from the clips I've seen. Brent sounds like a cat being strangled. Like sounds that nothing on this earth should make.
Which is weird, because on studio tracks he just sounds like Ozzy.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Bandcamp is definitely probably the best for digital purchases. 10% from physical merch is still probably a good deal, at least a lot better than they would get from their label.

It also rules that bandcamp is doing very well:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/01/24/everything-is-terrific-the-bandcamp-2016-year-in-review/
Cassettes are old enough that people actually buy them again?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kilometers Davis posted:

Pretty sick so far but I stopped it until I could listen on earbuds. Power metal via iPhone speakers doesn't have the right oomph.

I'm hoping I enjoy the album. I got into them with their last and I've always been 50/50 on whether or not I like them a lot.
The audio mix on the YouTube version is kinda dogshit for some reason; apparently it's not like that on streaming services. So your iPhone speakers might actually be appropriate.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's been over ten years since Dragonforce blew my mind in high school and made me practice the gently caress out of guitar so I'm going to give this song an honest chance and embrace it. I haven't heard a DF song in a long time.
They've made, what, four albums now since everyone collectively decided to stop caring about them? As far as I can tell, they're all basically the same except they changed vocalists at some point.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
New Leprous, although they're calling this more a rock album than a metal album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSlX1zXnfM

In a similar vein of "skirting the boundary between prog rock and metal", new Caligula's Horse announced for September.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1uTpaXYyU

i think these guys take the crown for "worst metalcore scene whatever"
This is a very bad song, and one of the related videos from the same channel is called "Dating a 15 Year Old? (Response)" which is something special.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Van Dis posted:

What are some good new releases in prog (aside from King Goat and Persefone)
Some of these are more prog-rock than prog-metal, but Soen (they only mostly sound like Tool now!), Voyager, or Disperse.

New Caligula's Horse is coming out soon too.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
From a completely separate genre: New Caligula's Horse is finally out. It's good: less mellow than Bloom and more like the album before it. Here's another single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Wgxj5-q98
As a prog nerd, this is probably my AotY so far, pending some more listens. Apologies for interrupting your black metal discussions.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

il_cornuto posted:

I always have a hard time remembering what actually came out this year vs what I listened to for the first time that actually came out previously.
I keep having this idea floating around my head for a thread about "your favorite albums of <year> as of now": go 5 or 10 years back and pick out a retrospective AotY that you still like and listen to from that year. This would be different from AotY from <current year> because (a) your musical taste might have changed, and (b) you might have discovered an album in a band's back catalog.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Troy looks slightly less crazy than normal. Only slightly.

Kilometers Davis posted:

lmao I ignored this at first but I like it. Poppy metal is fun and I want more of it.
There's a surprisingly large subgenre of indistinguishable Beauty and the Beast pop-metal bands. Let's see what Elize Ryd (speaking of Kamelot, since she was one of their long string of female guest singers) is up to...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfk7YZJtmeo
Oh.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Lid posted:

Mastodon are notoriously inconsistent live - sometimes they sound as primal as Remission and Leviathan and other times they seem to be high as gently caress and half assing The Hunter. Having seen them with Gojira and Baroness makes clear the differences because Gojira are always technically on point and Baroness are one of the few bands that might as well be rock stars with the "it" factor thanks to how charismatic John Baizley is.
Two of the three members that sing sound like poo poo live (Brent can't even pull off his Ozzy impression, and Brann is trying to sing while drumming). Also I think they're tired of playing Blood and Thunder even though the crowd always loves it. They're not as good as Gojira, sure, but Gojira is amazing live and there's plenty of room in between Gojira and "not worth seeing".

Really, the selling point for that tour for me is that they're coming to the Greek Theater in Berkeley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Fabio Lione is just the right amount of cheesy power metal vocals.