Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Turk February posted:

I'm just going to leave these tracks here.

Necrotic Disgorgement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugrc568oAbE

Really digging this, just picked up the album. That album cover would make a great shirt.

Edit: gently caress yeah: http://www.comatosemusic.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4139

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Monkeytime posted:

Updated band list for Maryland Deathfest XII. I'm very, very excited for Mgla, Taake, Witchrist/Diocletian and Solstafir, but the whole lineup is looking really solid. Ulver was the big announcement today.

ASPHYX (Netherlands)
AT THE GATES (Sweden)
BONGRIPPER
CANDLEMASS (Sweden)
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK)
GOD MACABRE (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
GRAVES AT SEA
HEMDALE
MACHETAZO (Spain)
MGLA (Poland)
SARKE (Norway)
SOILENT GREEN
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
TAAKE (Norway)
TANKARD (Germany)
ULVER (Norway)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

Really excited for Candlemass. Too bad Messiah isn't in the band anymore, that'd be perfect. Other than that, really want to see Taake as long as the singer dude wears some sturdy pants. Oh and I feel like Unleashed might be fun, though I've never seen them before.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Even though they changed their style, I still like Satyricon and enjoyed the past 3 albums. I'll probably like the new one as well.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bozz Factor posted:

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in like forever and as you might guess, I'm back because I need something from you. Honesty is good. My band put out an album and I think you'll like it if you're into Slough Feg, Manilla Road, or obvious stuff like Iron Maiden. Lots of guitar harmonies with a balance of heavy and melodic stuff. Think late 70s/early 80s metal before everything was super defined. (but we are still influenced by modern stuff as well) The link below takes you to bandcamp. You can listen to the whole thing there and buy it for 7 bucks if you like it that much. Either way, effluvious praise welcomed and harsh criticism tolerated.

Children of the Reptile - Children of the Reptile

Like it a lot, just bought it!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

This is like Opeth but even worse.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

MrBling posted:

In terms of power metal there's really no reason to listen to Hammerfall since this is where they stole their entire sound anyway.

Also, listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz6Q4UV-iPI

the second best power metal album around.

I appreciate this. I haven't really dug deep in the power metal rabbit hole but I have an unhealthy Running Wild addiction that I've been dealing with for the past few years. I really need to branch out and find some new stuff.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

QPZIL posted:

It was cool the first time I listened to it, but I really haven't liked much they've done since Beyond the Permafrost. That album has so many catchy parts and things about each song that were memorable. Ever since then, they've just been suffering from Marduk Syndrome - nothing but fast riffs without a lot of substance.

Granted, they've had some glints of brilliance in each album, and there's a few things I like about the new album, but in general I just don't like it as much.

My thoughts exactly. I was really into SW when Permafrost came out, now I don't even listen to them anymore.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

First three were pretty solid to me but the album before this new one kinda just melded together and sounded the same. Haven't listen to the new one yet but it sounds like it has the same problem.

Maybe we should be careful what we wish for when we want a band to keep their original sound. When they don't grow or at least try something new, their songs seem to sound all the same. Kinda like Obituary or AC/DC.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Monkeytime posted:

The (monstly) final lineup and venue information for MDF XII was just announced.

Three venues will be used; the first, a gigantic parking lot/open area just north of downtown that will have two stages, the second is the Baltimore Soundstage, a medium-sized venue that will host the grind/crust type bands, and finally Rams Head Live, a large and very nice venue with enormous capacity that will host the headliners. They're all within easy (like 5 min) walking distance of one another and in the same neighborhood as the old Sonar venue so for those of you familiar with MDF all of the same hotels will be there to overcharge you like usual.

Just booked my hotel at the Mt. Vernon. It's like $96 a night and close to the big lot area. I think HIE/Sleep Inn is still the best location, but I can't find any deals. It's like $175 at the HIE and $200 at the sleep inn unless you pay for a non refundable right now . I really don't want to tie up $700-$800 till May.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

thepitgoddess posted:

I just...can't get into Skeletonwitch. The internet loves them but they are just SO mediocre.

Tribulation were great! I'm not a fan of In Solitude's music, but they were really good to watch. Of course, Watain are the masters of live shows. I don't think I've ever seen Watain as a five piece, and I've seen them on like, every tour since their first ever US one. I am wracking my brain, but I don't think I've ever seen them play as more than a four piece.

I kind of like it though- with Erik just singing, there's a lot more little nuanced things in the live show that make it more like a ritual, which is totally their style.

I'm over Watains music but their live show is just so loving good. I wish I could have seen that tour, the new Tribulation album is one of my new favorites.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

This is pretty cool. Twice a year, metal4africa.com, the website that I help run does a festival with between 8 and 9 local bands from Southern Africa. Every now and then we try to get in a band from a neighbouring country and this year in January we got Overthrust from Botswana. Somebody filmed their full set and popped it up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEVhkRMRG1k

I'm fascinated by the spread of metal on the African continent, and a lot of it seems to correlate directly to infrastructure. Botswana does not have the best internet connectivity and as a result the music is still very raw, primal and straightforward, whereas Kenya which has a far better connection to the outside world is producing much more "modern" metal. Then you've got Egypt and Tunisia which seem to spawn way more European-esque bands (lots of power and prog stuff there) because of proximity.

One day I'll have done enough research to write a proper piece about it, but the lay of the land as it is seems to change drastically the further north you go - South Africa being the exception to the rule.

I know this post is like a week old but thanks for this. I remember a year ago or so, a goon posted something on Botswana metal scene. Picked up the Crackdust album from that and been jamming to it since then. I'm digging the Botswana sound.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Xandoom posted:

So I'm a huge Amon Amarth fan and noticed they were playing in my city in February. Would this be an event that would be suitable/safe to bring my 15 year old kid brother along?

He's 15, what is he some kind of pussy?

Possibly! It was awhile ago.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Varg posted:

Jose Mangin's host slot on Liquid Metal in the late afternoon weekdays is pretty good though, he usually plays good poo poo and gets a lot of cool interviews with people.

That guy is a loving tool and that's why the station sucks. It was ok years back before he ran it (playing mostly a lot of pantera, slayer, megadeth and poo poo). I don't know what they do now a days but they used to have a decent Death/Black/Grind/Gore hour every day and Ian Christy (he's an alright dude) had a great metal history show. Either way, it's 90% garbage they play tons of poo poo that's not even considered metal.

If you like classic rock, Ozzy's Boneyard is pretty decent. They'll play the usual classic rock songs and mix it in with some Megadeth, Motorhead, Meryfulfate, and a little Manowar here and there (and other classic bands that don't start with M).

Now if you want good a "curated" music show with good underground metal, go subscribe to Hell Cast. It's part metal talk show part radio show. It's by far the best choice when listening to poo poo in the car.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

You guys are acting like Amon Amarth doesn't tour the US twice a year.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Toxic Holocaust, Cannabis Corpse, Red Fang, Nile :350:

Just went looking for what the hell Nile is up to, found this:

Costa Rica :argh:

e: New album from new band from Nile's other guitarist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE4gz9g4lC4

This almost sounds like it could be another Nile album. That is a-ok by me!

Edit: This album is like DARE for metal heads, either way it's still awesome.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 2, 2014

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

Went to Mayhem Fest yesterday, goddamn. Bit small but loving King Diamond and Slayer, how could I not go?

Here in WA they had a $15 groupon for the fest. Me and friend bought that. We ended up sneaking into pit area and getting right up front for King Diamond. Deal of a life time.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just got back in from Hellbash last night and it was loving amazing. Satanic Warmaster was the highlight for me, also Archgoat, Shitfucker, Demonic Christ and Black Death was amazing. Though it was a little hot, the venue was pretty sweet too. Sound was excellent and the lights were some of the coolest I've ever seen at a non-arena show. Good amount of people there but it was not hard to get up close even when most everyone was inside.

The hotel next to the fest was loving amazing too. They did not give a loving gently caress about anything. I mean it was horrible, but perfect for the fest. I read reviews of the hotel before going and I'd just see poo poo like "Bed bugs" "blood on the sheets at check in" and "manager cussed me out".

So I got there Thursday morning before the fest and if I didn't know any better, I would have had thought it had been abandoned for the past 5 years. There was broken glass in the parking lot and a "fountain" filled with beer cans and cigarette butts. Mind you, this was before anyone showed up. Inside this 8/9 story hotel and suite, it featured a full on dive bar with cheap beer and liquor which we obviously made into a metal bar. I felt like the Fresh Prince who found his cab.

But that was just the beginning, so many awesome and terrible things happened there, such as:

Heard stories about "checked in with no sheets on the bed" "house keeping left me a half a sprite and a half full ashtray"

People were pissing out the windows onto the street/ people smoking in the lot.

You could just go up to the desk and tell them you lost your key and tell them your room number and they would just give you the key without checking ID.

Kid staying there turned 21 on Saturday night. He was excited about getting carded for beer but then they never carded him.

Cut off time at the bar is apparently never

You could hear your neighbors puking and/or loving through the walls.

Some one got shot on Saturday night?? I was there but I don't remember or I had already passed before it happened.

I almost got hit in the head by someone throwing their alarm clock out the 8th floor of the hotel window.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Being disgusting == metal apparently.

Yeah it makes MDF feel like a trip to Disneyland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

MrBling posted:

poo poo, Jim from Nunslaughter suffered a stroke.

They set up a donation thing to help with medical costs: http://www.gofundme.com/da3v7zgg and there's a some updates on their facebook page.

It seems like he's somewhat ok, considering what happened.

I like what HHB said "Obituary raised money to give us a lovely album, why don't we raise money for a man who still gives us good music"

Seriously, even if it's a buck or too do it. It's very easy to donate for a well deserving dude.