Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
HM2 inspired Blacky-Proggy-Deathy-Doomy Metal Black Lava

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-BemxX-f50

I suspect a fair bit of this thread will be into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Since we were just posting riffs....

I made a guitar nerd video about metal chugging. I included a compilation of chuggy riffs and made an effort to get some of the finest chugs in metal history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lf7hVMYlSo&t=49s

Video is time-coded for the chuggy part (but in case something fucks up...from 49 seconds)

Did I miss anything gloriously chuggy? (Bolt Thrower obviously got a mention)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Hope they dial back on the misogyny because they went a little too hard into the shock factor for a while.

:thejoke:

While I've never been a massive fan, I'd never complain about seeing Steel Panther as part of a festival or something.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Soooooo the stuff I'm listening to is sounding a bit stale. I want something a bit new\different\weird to check out.

Never been a massive fan of death metal, but I dig growls. Just prefer 'em more on Thrashy riffs rather than blastbeats.Case in point: Skeletonwitch

Love some proggy stuff, but I'm very over the Dream Theater style or the Polyphia style gymnastics sorta prog. Also the Opeth "fade-out-into-long-acoustic-section-in-an-echo-chamber" bit is very overdone. Something Tool-ish would get my attention

I flirt with Power Metal but I had a bit of a Sabaton binge recently so I think that itch has been scratched.

Thrash tends to be my go-to, but more the Exodusy thrash rather than the Kreator thrash.

Show me weird riffs.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do Sabaton and Amon Amarth regularly tour together?

If not, why the gently caress not.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol if you don't think the people who still listen to metallica aren't the same people listening to FFDP

Hi. I'm a Metallica tragic and I can't loving stand FFDP.

Also, Kill 'em All vibes from Metallica? Let's fuckin go! Good fuckin' fun blast.

Edit: With "12 tracks totaling over 77 minutes" so about 6 minutes a song. Yeaaahhh there's gonna be riff salads.

H13 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 28, 2022

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

moxieman posted:

Ya'll hearing "Kill 'Em All" vibes in the new track... care to elaborate? Because that's one of my favorite albums from any band ever and I'm just not hearing any similarities to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-7rWKnVVo&t=19s

vs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bW2DMOeDEM&t=32s

No it's not the same song, plus the vocals are a lot more hooky and less "I'm 19 and just gonna scream my balls off" but this is why I used the phrase vibe, rather than knock-off.

The Motorhead drum beat from Overkill helps as well. Also, it kinda sounds more Marshally than Metalllica have in a while? I wonder if they're still using Diezels.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Load is a loving great album.

I mean what a massive shock, that after doing about 3 years of almost non-stop touring for The Black Album, where most shows were 3 hours long, playing setlists which were fairly heavily dominated by the first 4 albums, plus Enter Sandman, Sad But True, and one or two other good songs for The Black Album...

That after all that, the next album you release isn't some speed-obsessed screaming banshee after you just conquered the loving world doing that once before.

Load is the next, most logical step. It's not fair to call it a sellout album because you can tell that they were really into it and doing whatever the gently caress they wanted to.

Reload is a bit meh. That one's a stretch. But Load is solid.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd take:

- Aint My Bitch
- 2x4
- House That Jack Built
- Hero Of The Day
- Bleeding Me
- Waste My Hate
- Mama Said
- Outlaw Torn
- Fuel
- Memory Remains
- Devil's Dance
- Carpe Diem Baby
- Where The Wild Things Are
- Low Man's Lyric
- Fixxxer

...okay 8 off Load and 7 off Reload. So probably an even split in hindsight.

But the fact that everybody argues over which songs to keep and which ones ditch I think gives most of the songs credibility. Though Reload has some legit stinkers like Better Than You and Slither. I'd suggest that Load at its worst is meh.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've heard some bits from Pantera live.

Charlie is doing great, but it sounds exactly like you'd imagine with Zakk Wylde playing Pantera. I'm a fan of BLS etc. so I'm into Zakk Wylde plays Pantera, but for something so desperately billed as a tribute, I dunno, I think Zakk should try to do it more Dimebaggy?

I'd go see it though.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

UnFOURgiven

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDyDpdFZHBo

New Metallica.

...as a Metallica tragic, even I can admit this one is a tad generic.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
(Apologies for the double-post, but I kinda assume people are gonna want to respond to the new Metallica song and was therefore worth it's own separate post for quoting reasons)

remigious posted:

Glad to see Thomas Winkler still doing his thing post-Gloryhammer.

https://youtu.be/i3u_JGmq5Fs

This is good fun, but who the gently caress mixed this? ALL SYNTH. NO VOCALS. NO GUITARS!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OeC9CGtWcM

Ooft...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Yeah, my gut reaction to 72 Seasons is that it's not bad, but not great either. It's just alright. Metallica in cruise control. Not exactly writing any new chapters for their formidable legacy, but not the kind of embarrassment they'd trod the floorboards of in the past.

There are worse fates for a mainstream hard rock/metal band, I suppose.

I dunno...

It feels like "If an AI wrote a Metallica song..."

Pretty much this whole new Metallica album and...marketing feels very modern and very Not-Metallica.

Like, for better or worse, one of the cool things about Metallica is that they kinda were always doing whatever the gently caress they wanted to do. Hence Load, Reload, St. Anger, Lulu etc. I mean you may have hated those albums (PS: gently caress you Load is awesome) but there was some level of honesty in what they were doing.

I mean there's the classic "Metallica sold out" argument but I always felt that Metallica were still steering the ship and the marketers worked around whatever they were doing.

There's just something about the new songs and the new marketing that feels as though the band isn't steering the ship anymore. The songs are generic, the guitar tone is lacking in gain and a bit "friendlier" and the interviews and stuff have been what you see from pop bands.

Yeah yeah yeah, Metallica is Pop blahblahblah pre-emptive shut the gently caress up. A million of you are gonna claim that they sold out with The Black Album (hell some of you to be smartasses will say it was with Ride The Lightning when they had a ballad) others will say it was with Load or whatever. I'll acknowledge that there are reasonable arguments to be made for all those points in time, but the recent stuff really gives me a "sellout" vibe

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Not gonna lie. All this new stuff sounds exactly like the band that made Death Magnetic and Hardwired... to Self-Destruct to me.

Kinda.

To me, Death Magnetic is a "return to form' (even though it was meh) and Hardwired was the better version of that.

This feels like a meh version of Hardwired.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on NeO's new album?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

This is loving great.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Double post, but y'all had like 12 hours to get onto this.

Have you been missing Skeletonwitch? I would suggest this is a bit thrashier and less atmospheric, but otherwise is gonna scratch a similar itch.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've only listened to it once, but 72 Seasons for me is the first Metallica album that is...aggressively nothing.

Like 'em or hate 'em. Load, Reload, St. Anger were all a thing. Death Magnetic was an attempted "return to form" from St. Anger. I felt like Hetfield was happy to be playing some properly thrashy fun riffs again so it wasn't just a "return to form" for the fans. Hardwired was a refinement of Death Magnetic. Like they've all had a vibe.

The singles released from 72 Seasons is a great snapshot of the album. Lyrically it feels like they're stuff that "people think rock music fans would like" and...well so do the riffs.

There's still great Hetfield moments. Kirk also has a few genuinely great moments.

The production is half decent this time, it doesn't feel\sound squashed to hell except Hetfield's guitar isn't as aggressive as you'd expect and is kinda a more overdriven AC\DC rather than the mid-scooped, thuddy joy. Rob's bass gets a few moments of awesome too.

But remember how Disturbed got a bit of fame from their Sound Of Silence cover? Then their next album had like 4 acoustic ballads which were obviously targeting people who got the new album because they liked Sound Of Silence?

This feels like an album made to target people who liked the Metallica scene in Stranger Things. The whole thing feels like it's an album made for what people who THINK Metallica\Rock fans would like. With a few genuinely kickass riffs sprinkled throughout. I would suggest they had a bunch of kickass riffs sitting around on their riff tapes, but I feel like management told Metallica to put out an album ASAP with what they had.

And...oddly enough, that hurts more than them releasing something genuinely bad. I wonder if it's the super clean high-production value which is making it feel so "corporate" for me, so I'm hoping the album improves with a few listens, but I honestly couldn't tell you how half the songs went after the first listen.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The last song is great.

I feel like there was some soul put into the last song. But...otherwise?

woof.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
THAT BEING SAID.

72 Seasons being meh doesn't suddenly make the recording of ...And Justice For All suck. That is still easily the greatest Thrash Metal album of all time, with the two nearest contenders being Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightning.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
AJFA has Blackened and Dyer's Eve.

That concludes my Ted Talk. Thank you all for coming.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Southern Cassowary posted:

these are the two highlight songs but ajfa has poo poo like the title track and frayed ends of sanity which drag out way too long

The song AJFA is loving great.

Also, I admit the verse\chorus of Frayed Ends is meh, but the middle section of Frayed Ends is probably the best thing Metallica ever put to tape.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Arguably, S&M was when Metallica was at their peak.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

idk i always thought BT was kinda like the tempo of the music they play: mid

I love Metallica more, but you sir can get the gently caress out.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

remigious posted:

New Gloryhammer is extremely cringe to me. Especially knowing that the band is full of racist misogynists. I simply cannot give them another chance.

And we're all very proud of you.

That being said, would it be a reasonable thing to claim that Tom has one of the best power metal voices?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Luke-Warm take.

Rust in Peace is barely thrash metal. While heavier, it's not much harder than the Black Album.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

(I've always kinda hated Dave's voice so I never gave RIP a solid crack. I've given it a few spins over the past few days and I gotta say, aside from a few legitimately amazing riffs...it's pretty drat mid)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
RIP just isn't that fast for the majority of it. For Thrash, it's fairly mid-tempo for the majority of it.

Holy Wars - Thrashy (loving awesome too), which then gets Sabbathy...
Hanger 18 - Thrashy at the end? The first half of the song is kinda just metal...
Take No Prisoners - Thrashy
5 Magics - Has a Thrashy bit? Otherwise just metal...
Poison Was The Cure - Thrashy after a 1 minute long intro in barely a 3 minute song
Lucretia - Fun riff, but not thrashy
Tornado of Souls - Would've been an amazing Dio song 'cos he would've written better lyrics.
Dawn Patrol - lol
Polaris - Who cares?

Take No Prisoners is the only song that's thrashy for the whole thing. Everything else kinda goes into standard Metal tempos. Plus aside from Dave's voice (which I still hate) it doesn't exactly have a super aggressive sound either.

I mean compared to Master of Puppets?

Battery - Arguably the greatest Thrash Metal song written.
Master of Puppets - Thrashy aside from a middle interlude
Thing That Should Not Be - Sabbathy
Sanitarium - Ballad, but thrashy at the end?
Disposable Heroes - Thrashy as gently caress
Leper Messiah - Sabbathy
Orion - Not Thrashy but too awesome to care (albiet with some semi-thrashy moments)
Damage Inc - Thrashy as gently caress.

Half of MOP is pretty much straight-out thrash.

...And better.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

all of you are wrong the best thrash is chance era skeletonwitch

source: revealed to me in a dream

...I mean yeah it's pretty high up there.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hulk Krogan posted:

Nevermore is unfuckwithable in general, imho. I bought Dreaming Neon Black blind and the EKG beeps into that opening riff of Beyond Within was the most crushing poo poo I had ever heard.

Sucks that Obsidian Conspiracy sucked, that they broke up, that Warrel died, and that Jeff Loomis is just a hired gun in Arch Enemy now.

For some reason I always get Iced Earth and Nevermore confused.

'Cos when I saw that list of sadness of ex members I was thinking: "Didn't one of them get done for being part of the Jan 6 Riot?" but I was thinking of Schaffer in Iced Earth.

What always gives me a giggle is when a band has an entire wikipedia page dedicated to the number of lineups a band has had...case in point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iced_Earth_band_members

It's fun because you look at who has been in the band the longest, and generally that person is the rear end in a top hat.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always felt that Maiden never wrote a full album. Pretty much every Maiden album has 3 or 4 absolute loving standout amazing songs, and then...filler-ish.

Mind you, those 3 or 4 standout songs would easily justify the albums existence and would be better than any song by a majority of metal bands.

Brave New World I feel is one of their most consistent albums where every track is pretty killer, and I think Paschendale might be one of their best songs. Always really liked the lyrics to Paschendale too for some reason.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Exodus for pit riffs...

Also Gojira.

Edit: Also gently caress you Metallica has some amazing pit riffs.

H13 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 24, 2023

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I keep forgetting Scenes From A Memory practically ends with a Brian Williams soundbite.

I still argue this is their best album.

It features the most amount of restraint that Dream Theater has ever been able to show. Admittedly that's not a whole heap, but it's better than most.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm sure this has already been posted.

But even if it has, it deserves a repost.

Doctor Teeth posted:

i'm listening to train of thought for the first time in like 15 years and i forgot that labrie tries to do the James Hetfield whoa-oh thing on As I Am and it's really funny

Train Of Thought overall was such a Metallica ripoff. I haven't listened to it for about 15 years, but I remember there were an awful lot of riffs which were very slight variations of Metallica riffs. Considering they used to cover the entire Master of Puppets album live, a love letter to Metallica as an album wasn't a massive surprise.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sleep Token is kinda metal Billie Eilish.

But boring and bad 'cos I don't hate Billie Eilish, but I do kinda hate Sleep Token.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blue Labrador posted:

I got new headphones and decided to test them out with my favorite Metallica album (Ride the Lightning), and it's always nice to be reminded that classic Metallica could be eloquent when they wanted to. Like, For Whom the Bell Tolls has such raw and punchy lyrics, it rules.

Also, Call of Ktulu might just be my favorite Cthulu adjacent media. It has such a nice, dreadful, occult atmosphere to it that I wish more Lovecraftian things succeeded at nailing.

Call of Ktulu also has Cliff Burton's best performance on it. The Bass Wah is fuckin' sick and adds so much to the atmosphere of the song.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh look it's time for the biggest Metallica apologist to speak up.

The Voice of Labor posted:

would metallica have stayed better for longer had cliff burton lived or was the fame or the meth or the ego or whatever writing already on the wall?

AJFA wouldn't have happened. AJFA is their best album. It's raw and it's painful which is where Metallica were at the time they made it and it's goddamn perfect in every way.

I would argue SOME form of Black Album would have happened. Black album happened 'cos Metallica were tired of playing ridiculously complicated, 8 minute long 220bpm epics and wanted to start playing things that kicked rear end but were also fun to play. I defy any guitarist to play the main riff to Sad But True in anger without a poo poo-eating grin on your face.

They wanted to play stuff you could drink beer and play, rather than do a shitload of coke before you could play it.

Load and Reload are fairly obvious pathways to continue after Black. So I think we would have seen a SIMILAR arc.

...but I think if Burton lived, they would have probably been a mainstream version of Tool, that generally played in 4\4, but with wah-induced guitar solos with a bunch of weird harmonies. Cliff was always big into bass effects, Bob Rock taught Metallica that bass actually needed to be heard so I think Cliff would've really got a spotlight.

I always interpreted it as Lars' bad attempt at the Slayer beat. However I would like to remind you that AJFA is goddamn perfect in every way and I'll keep screaming that regardless of how accurate the counter arguments may be.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Count Thrashula posted:

drat I wish I could listen to Woods for the first time again

Thanks to this thread, I listened to Woods 5 for the first time.

Can confirm, it kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been catching up on Behemoth's latest (which I think came out last year)

I kinda dig it, but jesus what an awful mix. Where the hell is the kick drum?