Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wezlar posted:

Speaking of bad gimmicks, how did Randy Orton get to be in Evolution/be the Legend Killer when like every other second generation wrestler gets saddled with some terrible gimmick and buried in WWE?

It was predestined that he was the best wrestler of his generation for some reason, and thus he was blessed with lovely low-heat title reigns and some boring matches with HHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flashy_mcflash posted:

They had Batista, easily a top 5 wrestling-to-acting transition, as a silent lackey for D-Von Dudley

And they covered up his physique! I'm beginning to suspect that Vince has always been an idiot and guys like Pat Patterson actually did all the genius scouting and marketing credited to him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dacap posted:

I would have zero faith Vince wouldn’t gently caress up a guy like Brian Cage who seems like he was built in a lab to be the perfect WWE ideal.

He'd love Cage for a few weeks, then suddenly proclaim that he's too short and can't work and ship him back to developmental, where one of his knees would immediately explode.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

My guess is that he's a Universal Life minister.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Fushin posted:

Zandig also probably has extreme levels of brain damage so at least I understand him having lovely political views.

Zandig was an rear end in a top hat well before that.

Rarity posted:

Hell yeah, the obvious interests there are Pillman and the Smiths but I'm really interested in the FMW and XPW episodes. What's the Ion Croitoru deal about?

He was a legit outlaw biker who went to prison for murder and once conspired to blow up a police station.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lumbermouth posted:

I thought Flair cut like right at his hairline so that the blood would seep into his hair? But then again he probably had the money to pay for cosmetic surgery.

He probably got the same forehead graft surgery that Terry Funk did. His forehead absolutely looked like poo poo for a while there.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

I think Mox also told some dudes off for using the term "ring rat".

He did. Eddie Kingston was mentioned as a gentleman in the locker room, and one of that lovely Crist brother's victims implied that Colt Cabana stuck up for her.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Old man Taz developing a sense of humor and grounded perspective on his career and legacy is not something I expected to see, and man is it great.

Lamuella posted:

Lance Storm is offering video coaching for wrestlers. He gives an example of the written critique he gives to people (they also get a 1 hour Zoom call) and I can only hope for ever getting critique this thoughtful and constructive and helpful for anything I ever do.

Compare this to the really lovely post-mortem emails that Quack used to send out after Chikara shows, thinking they were helpful and professional. It's night and day.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think Terry Funk v. Flair I quit was the best match in history until Okada faced Omega.

I'd go so far as to say Terry is one of the top 3 greatest of all time, and you could absolutely make a case for him being #1. He's also a case where I can't imagine what he'd be doing with his life if pro wrestling didn't exist.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Repackage Keith Lee as "The Internet Male" :goodshit:

Keith "Well Actual" Lee

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ICR posted:

The marathon not a sprint comes from they will buy up all the talent.

I got a friend of a friend in MPW who is being pursued hard since she appeared on AEW.

Gonna get wild in the coming months. The tag team tournament Wwe is doing is specifically because AEW is the premier destination for tag teams right now and they lost out on Bear Country (who never wanted to go there anyway).

It's also worth noting that while WWE/NXT have bigger and more visible women's divisions, their booking of said divisions is loving terrible and they've ruined more than a few can't-miss prospects in just the past year or two.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'm not really so down on WWE's women's divisions at all. The matches are good to great, the right people are champions right now and it's arguably the most diverse roster on the planet with every woman's gimmick being totally unique to her. They're pushing Bianca who is a star, they're finally letting Sasha have the superstar run she deserves, and Asuka is the most decorated woman in WWE history. I can't find much to dislike outside of maybe the fact that NXT goes nowhere, but that's not something that can or will ever change. In the meantime some of the NXT's women's matches are among the best of the year regularly. I think the women's wargames match from two years ago is a top 5 war games match in general.

Agreeing with the diversity and that Bianca is something special, but I don't have any confidence in them not loving things up with her the way they did with Rhea Ripley, among others. It's an extension of the problem I have with WWE's booking overall; there's no point getting invested in any of these people because they'll get cooled off the second they get too popular.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

He should steal Yoshitsune's

https://mobile.twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/964125239570587650

Yoshitsune is a sad story and a sad man.

Didn't he plant weed on Nosawa and get him arrested in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Who is the very tall woman behind Mei?