Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just got the Batman Inc deluxe, and what smartass did the book layout? A bunch of the intro pages have panels from the book, and most of them are from #8, the Internet issue that is too ugly for me to actually read. Picking awesome images out of this book is pretty simple, but no, let's use screen caps from an 80s computer game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
How did they color Mr Miracle and Sunny Sumo? Same as the HC?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone know if the Miles Morales USM will get the same OSHC treatment Parker did?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Happy Hippo posted:

Didn't a Spawn collection come out a couple of years ago that cost over $1000 and had something for all five senses, ie, a scratch and sniff component, sounds like those annoying greeting cards, etc? I thought I saw an article about it about two years ago and now google yields nothing.

I think that was an April Fool's joke.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I've had the X-Statics since it came out and it's been fine. I hear glue fails more easily in humid places, but New England has treated all my books well.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Uthor posted:

Hey, they put out paperbacks, a box set, Absolutes, an Annotated version, and now two HC omnibus sets of Sandman. Logical!

Sandman in 2 volumes?
1000 page HCs are the holocovers of this era.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

wildlele posted:

Does DMZ get better? I picked up the first few trades and got pretty bored. This might be one I just hit up the library and use my money for IDW Artist Editions.

I'd say no because I was immediately pulled in by the story and the idea of NYC becoming a failed state, and the rest of the series keeps going along the same lines. It is really great for what it is, and I could imagine double dipping for it, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I don't know if I'd recommend it to people who weren't American, really.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Everythings

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The whole Adversary fight is really lazy, you may want to stop now and imagine how awesome it could be.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone have any reason for me to hope that the Morales Ultimate Spider-Man will be collected in OSHCs? The Vol 3 TPB and Spider-Men comes out in 2 weeks, and I haven't seen any announcements.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

If it's a book that has yet to be released they will get it. If it's old stock don't always count on it.

Also on that subject, my insider info says DCBS/IST may be going up for sale shortly.

It looks like DCBS has more stuff than usual in their specials, any thoughts on how wise it would be to order something that won't be out for a while?
And I guess DR STRANGE AND DR DOOM TP TRIUMPH AND TORMENT is getting reprinted? Cool.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Metal Loaf posted:

What TPBs tend to be the biggest sellers; "catalogue" releases (by which I mean reprints of classic stories, such as Marvel Masterworks and Essentials or DC's Showcase series) or collections of more recent stories?

As I've mentioned before, I've been checking out a lot of the Marvel Masterworks stuff (the re-released versions with black covers rather than the silver-bordered ones that came out ten years ago) lately and it strikes me as more than a little odd how much of it has gone out of print and how only specific books seem exceptionally difficult to find. For example, over the past three or four years, Marvel have re-released the first nine Fantastic Four Masterworks collections, but the second, fourth, fifth and sixth seem to be exceptionally difficult to find, whereas the rest are easier to track down.

I might ask, while I'm here, what's a good resource for developing one's understanding of how the comic book industry works behind the scenes, in this area and others?
Comichron is a great resource for sales info. Forum/Funnybookbabylon poster Edge & Christianson (?) also knows a lot of poo poo about this kind of thing. Otherwise it's mainly rumor-mongering.

My question: I'm about to say gently caress it and buy up TPBs of the Miles Morales USM. It's been coming out for 2 years or something, any reason to hope it'll get an OSHC release like the Parker stuff?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I don't know why they're dragging their feet on Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2. Get that poo poo out already.

If you mean the Morales stuff, I'm with you. I gave up and got TPBs, tho, and I'm glad I get the stories at least.
I wish they got back to large trades, even just thicker TPBs, for the Ultimate line.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think this was mentioned here, but I'm excited for The Colossal Conan, which collects issues 0-50 of Busiek's Conan run. I have heard good things and now apparently I will have the option of reading all of it, assuming Dark Horse doesn't suck at omnibuses.

I'm also confused as to why Chew needs an Omnivore edition (10 issues each) along with a Smorgasbord edition (20 issues each). That just seems...kinda silly.

Dark Horse has done really well with Hellboy and BPRD.
Chew is just that good.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Does Marvel still come out with the OSHCs for Avengers and New Avengers? Any thoughts when one will be out for Hickman's work?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
yeah, OSHCs are the best.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
They make up for it by publishing things like the New 52 Omnibus. First issue of 52 different, unconnected series.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

We stopped ordering the DH digets omnibus books completely because half the time they show up with chunks of pages falling out. They're a terrible product. IDW releases an identical format with no quality issues. DH is slowly becoming the worst at making trades.

This surprises me because the Hellboy stuff is done really well.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Zachack posted:

Why would they be hard to find? Is Lapham trying to erase any evidence of his pre-Avatar output?

Pretty sure he published it himself, and I guess he just did a small run and doesn't want to do another.
It's a shame because I'd definitely pick that up. Some great stuff.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Vertigo is really going through with the Invisibles Deluxe versions!? Amazon lists it as Feb, and DCBS has it on their special order page. Thought it would get lost like the Lucifer HC's
There's also a special edition Locke & Key vol 3, but I missed out on the first 2 and $50 for 6 issues is pushing it, esp when I already have it in a nice HC.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
To make you feel better, binds do have problems. The comics generally have lesser paper quality vs TPBs, the ads are often still in place, and a lot of Omnis are physically larger. Plus, binding isn't free or anything. You definitely save money if you bind hard to find trades, if you're trying to copy a trade you can get in the $5 bin, don't.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I haven't used CheapGraphicNovels, but dcbservice.com had X-Force for $50 as well, and they're good folks, so the pricing isn't insane.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Uthor posted:

Has there been any word from the Bendis camp about the sixth Powers OSHC? Seems to me like they have enough material at this point to make it happen.

Just saw it on the specials list at DCBService
http://www.dcbservice.com/highlight.aspx?id=4

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Happy Hippo posted:

Anyone know if there are any plans to collect Fraction's Defenders into an OSHC? I've heard it's great and I dig my shorter runs collected in the biggest books possible.

I'd be surprised. Defenders came out a while ago, didn't sell that well, and I think Marvel has cooled off on the OSHC thing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Wow, Alias was one of the first omnis Marvel made, is it still worth anything? Time to sell out and get the reprint.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Glenn Danzig posted:

You're a few weeks late. eBay was flooded a few weeks ago when the reprint was (unofficially) announced.

But I invested in comics because they can only go up in value!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Sundowner posted:

I should buy an omnibus.

It's a great way to read fancy comics and get a huge bicep.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hakkesshu posted:

I forget, is there any significant format difference between OSHCs and Marvel's regular hardcovers? I've decided that I want to own Thor: God of Thunder in physical books, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the larger collection that comes out in the fall. If it's just a matter of thickness, I don't care.

The books are 1 or 1.5 inches taller, too. Plus, nerd cred.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is Godland good? It seems weird and interesting.
I picked up the first Glory trade. It was neat and different enough, but it did not grab me.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How are Image's deluxe hardcovers, anyways? I already have the first three trades of Saga on Comixology, but I kinda want to pre-order the HC if they're typically good quality and/or big.

I have the Y collections and they rule. It probably varies by creator for Image, Chew and Skullkickers are also great, but they have the glossy printed cover instead of Y's dustcover.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That was me, I'm happy to say after all this time.

You are a hero. I grabbed a couple of books I would not have gotten otherwise

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
So they're coming out with a Deluxe version of New Frontier. It's been on my todo list for a while, but would I be happier with the Absolute? I tend not to care about sketches in the back, but it looks like the abs may have new content too.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is Hawkeye coming out in omnibus before a vol 2 OSHC comes out?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm gonna have to donate some bone marrow or something so I deserve a treat like that

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Aren't the HCs printed in the order the issues came out, and the TPBs are grouped by stories?
I know my HCs are in the printing order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, I haven't used them in a while but my impression is they're mostly good folks who went a bit to poo poo around/just before the pandemic. Or maybe that's just me, I don't know