Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Street Soldier posted:

Are Omnibuses and Absolutes actually readable? Normally I'd rather buy a hardcover set but most things that are released in Omnibus format are impossible to get separately in hardcover. Is there like a cutoff for a readable amount of pages, like Punisher Max at ~550 is okay but The Invisibles and New X-Men aren't worth the effort at over a 1000 pages?

I'm done buying them because I prefer a more readable format. They have gotten thinner though, they use really crappy paper now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Epic Collection line is pretty cool. It's a shame they aren't released more frequently, though.

I like omnibuses, but then again I haven't experienced any of the horror stories about books falling apart on the shelf as others have.

Epics have been coming out two or three times a month for awhile now. How fast do you want them?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

The main problem with epics is they are supposed to cover a lot of series, so they aren't very focused. So the have released like twenty but they are spread out over like fifteen series. So unless you are interested in many of them it doesn't look like much.

Yeah they keep announcing more and more additions. Still no Dr. Strange though but the (19th) Hulk volume will be out soon. If you include Star Wars there are 49 released or announced volumes across 16 series. I'm totally suckered into the concept and every time they announce more it's fun to see how they fit into the puzzle.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I have the first four Morrison-centric JLA hardcovers and bought vol. 5, but they don't match up at all. Looking into it it seems like DC switched up the contents for the TPBs. Now I can't decide whether to dump the HCs for the TPBs or not.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Thinking of selling my three Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck HC's and I'm seeing that they are going for a lot on the market. What's the best place to unload books these days?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

They seem to have cancelled the new X-factor trade, which sucks as I wanted to read hat clusterfuckk.

I think that one is being resolicited as part of the Epic line.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

redbackground posted:

I just wanted to show off the current status of my Wonder Woman hardcover collection

I also had these done:

Thank you and have a good day.

These are awesome, I love custom binding. Post some interior shots!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

obi_ant posted:

gently caress it. Just got the omnibuses.

I prefer the original colors but it's still freaking Sandman, you'll enjoy it no matter what.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I don't really care for the omnibus format but I'm in for any Justice League volumes as I doubt they are ever going get as far in TPB.

Also in for Hellboy and BPRD, haven't read any Hell on Earth because I've been waiting for the hardcover!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

How is 70+ comics only 1080 pages?
It should be even bigger than the Invisibles omni.

I'd say someone messed up and included the contents of volume 2 as well. No way that's one omnibus.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pretty cool omnibus announcement for later this year - Captain America by Mark Waid and Ron Garney.

You know, I read part of Waid's run in the Epic collection that came out not to long ago and I wasn't that impressed. I really didn't like how he wrote Sharon Carter at all. I like pretty much everything else I've read from him so I was pretty disappointed.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

If it wasn't for Waid we would have no Sharon Carter. She was dead for a good decade until he brought her back.

I realize that but she was SO. MAD. every issue it got annoying. Also the finagling to get Cap and Skull teamed up was a bit much.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

JordanKai posted:

Does anyone know why the Abe Sapien hardcovers aren't going to include the stuff from the first two TPBs? Are they already collected somewhere else or something?

That's a bummer now I'll have to buy two TPBs that won't match.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Barristicide posted:

Thanks, everybody! I think I'm going to go with the Deluxe Editions.

I'm selling the first two, PM me.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are you sure about that? Under that branding, they've only put out three JLA volumes, full stop.
#3 was out in April.

They've put out three Silver Age trades which are equivalent to the first omnibus, issues 1-30.

The three omnibii collect 1-113. The first two are Silver Age, last Bronze Age, but as mentioned the first one came out before DC settled on the current design. There are plans for more including the Detroit era.

Edit: not my pic

McGurk fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 23, 2017

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Time to break out the Sharpie.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

As a Venom and symbiote fanboy, did any of the myriad Venom solo series get collected? I know of the Lethal Protector and The Enemy Within TPBs, but there's huge swaths of Venom series from the 90s that I don't think have been reprinted in trade form.

Likewise, did the Toxin solo series ever get collected, or the "Planet of the Symbiotes" Spidey miniseries?

Maybe I can hope that with the Venomverse thing happening that maybe some of the older Venom stuff will get some love.

There's this one in November:

Venom: Carnage Unleashed Paperback – November 28, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Carnage-Unleashed-Larry-Hama/dp/1302907964/
COLLECTING: VENOM: CARNAGE UNLEASHED 1-4, VENOM: SINNER TAKES ALL 1-5; MATERIAL FROM AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL, SPIDERMAN SUPER SPECIAL, VENOM SUPER SPECIAL, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL, WEB OF SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

sporklift posted:

So I just got the new Abe Sapien HC. Does the Hell on Earth series precede it? It seems weird to release them out of order especially since they don't seem to mind waiting years in-between releases

Yep it says in the introduction of the new Abe Sapien book it takes place after Hell on Earth volume 2 which comes out next year.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I’d be all over that box set if I didn’t already have the series.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

For Spidey get the first two Epic collections (covers all of Lee/Ditko) and Kraven’s Last Hunt.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I have the Hellboy Library editions but the OCD part of me wishes they would come out in hardcovers the same size as the BPRD books.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

JordanKai posted:

The Saga Continues...

:negative:

As far as a series of releases over 7~ years goes, I’ve seen far worse. I think Hell on Earth is the longest I’ve trade-waited for something.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I rearranged some of my bookshelves recently:

I think it's kind of obvious that I started from the bottom and sort of lost interest by the time I got to the top, though.

Move that silver age Flash book next to the other ones and I’ll give you a B+.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

drat that looks cool. Would pair nicely with that Maximum F4 book with the one panel per page gimmick. Which I also don’t have.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

radlum posted:

I've started collecting Daredevil TPBs and HC and I got Nocenti's Touch of Typhoid omnibus. Besides the Heart of Darkness omnibus, there aren't anymore collected editions of her run right? , is the Fall from Grace omnibus the only one from the era between Nocenti and Kevin Smith's runs with the character?

Window’s Kiss collects #365-380 (the last issues of volume 1). It’s pretty bad though.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

Do the Marvel Epic Collections get reprinted? I was going to buy volume 1 of Spider-Man but it's sold out almost everywhere. I know it came out in '14 but you'd think they'd keep these books in print.

Several have been reprinted. I can’t imagine them not keeping evergreen runs like that out of print for long.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Why is the hardcover BPRD vol 3 so hard to find now? Really don’t want to pay a ton.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

As a general rule, the further into a series you get, the fewer copies of reprints will be printed.

I realize that but it’s only been out for a few months. Guess I’ll grab volume 4 ASAP.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Is this a new volume 3 or something? Because I've had a V3 on my shelf for a few years.

Yeah, should have been more specific. This is the Hell on Earth volume 3 which just came out in November, and is now fetching over $100 on Amazon.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Awesome!! Ordered it thanks

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I just got another Ollie's 10% off postcard...

What’s the plan for all these books? No offense but most of them aren’t worth owning.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

^burtle posted:

You should know better than to try and talk Rhyno out of these purchases.

I have been watching too much Marie Kondo apparently.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Not sure if this is where I read it, but it seems they put Amazing Spider-Man Epic 1: Great Power back into print:

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-EPIC-COLLECTION-TP-GREAT-POWER/JUL140723

I grabbed a copy at my local Barnes & Noble before I realized it was in print again. But at least it shows Disney and Marvel are keeping the epic line constantly in print?

I mean... I wouldn’t use ASM vol 1 as proof that the entire Epic line will always stay in print. It’s evergreen. They have reprinted a few other Epics though, Iron Fist comes to mind.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

JordanKai posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with the Cable & X-Force omnibus? It was supposed to come out today, but pretty much every online retailer now has it listed as unavailable and all of them now provide disparate new release dates.

It came out on July 3.

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/CABLE-AND-X-FORCE-OMNIBUS-HC/JAN191084

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd bet on it. Any reason why they wouldn't finish it off?

Because DC...

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I only order from Instocktrades anymore, their packaging is seriously bomb proof. They always beat Amazon on price and it’s free shipping after $50.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

JordanKai posted:

This is going to be the Joker's backstory in Joker 2.

Some people like their TPB spines to match, but I prefer multiple choice!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

JordanKai posted:

I've been filling out my collection with OoP stuff I've been meaning to pick up but haven't/hadn't found a good deal on yet. I got my hands on volumes two and three of Morrisson's New X-Men for a fair price, as well as the huge gets of both broadsheet-size Little Nemo HCs for less than €100 total. :woop:

(They don't fit on any of my shelves...)

I forgot I had that huge Little Nemo set in a closet...it's too big to keep out anywhere in my house. Only eBay listing I see is $1800 lmao good luck with that.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

sporklift posted:

Well the $1700 one is absolutely stupid. But all the sold listings I see are incomplete. They don't include the case or supplemental book and are selling for $150. So I wouldn't be surprised if I could get $200 out of it? Who knows with Ebay. I just listed the Young Avengers omni for $45 and had it up for a couple weeks with no bites then someone snagged it for the $75 buy it now price.

Edit:

Amazon sellers have the Little Nemo starting at over $700.

It is a really beautiful book but it is so unwieldy.

It's an amazing book and I will most likely never sell it...but yeah it's too big and heavy to read anywhere but on a table or floor. And I think it's still smaller than the actual newspaper comics were? Insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

i googled, 1.2 feet tall is just...drat

all my oversized stuff like artist eds are still on the way, now i'm curious how it stacks up to something like the art ed of black hole...

it does look like a gorgeous set, surprised that was only 100 bucks back in 2014

Yeah here are some pictures (not mine), it's even taller in the cardboard case thing. Looking at my Amazon history I paid $128 when it came out back in 2014 or $7.11 per pound @ 18lbs.