Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

redbackground posted:

Saw this on CBR:
I knew they were "upgrading" the coloring of the Flex HC a little bit, but I had no idea it was this drastic:

Original on the left, 2012 version on the right.

Goddammit, DC.

I hadn't looked at anything from the original for a while. I didn't notice it at the time I reread Flex, and now I won't ever unsee it. Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I just don't know. We get it a wee bit cheaper if it's initially ordered so I'm trying to make a call on this.

You know, I want one. I really do. But I want to see it first, see how they handle a book that big losing things in the gutter.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

al-azad posted:

In 2004 DC signed a deal with Humanoids to reprint The Incal in English. DC ended up recoloring and censoring everything and it looked butt loving awful. Most recolors preserve the line art but this reprint would regularly alter and paint over the lines. You couldn't even tell it was drawn by Moebius. It would be like asking a child to paint over the Mona Lisa or something.

Couple of images here.

Safe example of the censoring

NSFW censoring examples

Whoever was in charge of the decision to do this needs to be ousted from the industry completely.

Is this the most recent edition of the Incal?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

d00gZ posted:

Naw, the most recent edition is superb.

Okay, that makes sense. I was just incredibly confused, as people were heaping praise on that. I didn't pick it up when it came out, and of course that means it's a pain in the rear end to get now.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Shameless posted:

Looks like the two Batman issues ARE being included in Absolute Final Crisis as well as seven new pages of story by Morrison & Mahnke.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1204/09/dcjuly.htm

Is that a price drop too, or is that their price, rather than MSRP?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I barely even noticed the recoloring on my first reread. Then I looked at the old printing. It lost a surreal quality that was there in the day-glo castles and neon striped Mentallium Man.

It's still good, but it does feel like it's missing something (but it's not something you'll really know you're missing if this is your first read).

And yeah, gently caress the whitewashing.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I am?

drat it!

It'll sit happily with the first two volumes of Fraction's Iron Man run. How hard is it to make something look pretty, Marvel?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

friendo55 posted:

I want what you have.
This is fantastic.

I don't know how far back that's from, but I really hope he's read I Kill Giants by now. drat drat good book, and the hardcover is pretty much essential for it. Not only is the art beautiful, but the paper quality on the paperback is really lacking.

And oh god I want those bookcases. I long for something that's strong enough for me to trust something as massive as the Complete Calvin and Hobbes on the top shelf.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

PelvicNerve posted:

After reading the Ultimate Avengers omnibus this week-end, there's no way I'm buying anything Ultimate related for a long time. That poo poo was offensively stupid. My worst buy in a long time.
I have honestly no idea how they decide to price things. I'll probably buy this.

Make choices based on artists and writers, not publishers/lines.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Illvillainy posted:

I just dropped £105 on Kirby omnibi. Kamandi Vol. 1, OMAC, Cap, and the 2 available paperback volumes of the Fourth World.

I feel simultaneous guilty and not guilty.

Pretty reasonable price and great reads all around, you made a good choice!

Does anyone know if the Frank Miller Elektra Omnibus is difficult to get ahold of? We've got two just sitting on the shelf...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

Diamond had them in stock up until early this year, DCBS has like 10 of them on their shelves.

K, that's what I figured, I just know that the Daredevil omni wasn't too easy to come by and wondered how the Elektra one was doing.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

TheManWithNoName posted:

I only have the Animal Man one so far and it's just a basic trade. The top of the spine seems to be color coded based on what group it belongs to like The Dark or The Edge.

Is it numbered? This really shouldn't be something that we need to ask, but I haven't bothered looking at the new 52 trades close at all.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

wildlele posted:

Yes it is numbered, same with the Batman HC.

I really hope this isn't just an accident on DC's part, but rather a trend that continues.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

It doesn't generate the sales to demand one sadly.

Really? I just assumed it was a case of them knowing what would deserve a hardcover in 6 months when they launched the New 52. I'm sure there was a time for Animal Man where it could've turned that around, but I get the feeling that nobody expected it to perform as well as it did.

BioTech posted:

I bought the trade and didn't really enjoy it. What do you guys like about it?

While there are some really pretty things in there, I didn't like most of the art and the story seems to be crawling. I feel that in the whole trade nothing happened but "there is a bad thing, lets run from it" on repeat for page after page.

I love Sweet Tooth and bought this because of Lemire's name on it, but felt very disappointed.

I don't really know what to say to this, as it felt similar enough in tone to Sweet Tooth that I usually compare them (better comparrison than Essex County).

What I like about Animal Man:
-Travel Foreman's artistic style is something that we don't really see a lot of outside of Vertigo. It feels like he's much more of a gesture artist than others and his facial expressions were spectacular.
-Again on the art, Foreman has drawn some of the creepiest scenes I've seen in comcis in some time. It's disturbing without being grotesque.
-Buddy, despite being the hero, is imperfect, but not in the trendy broken "multi-dimensional" hero way. His imperfection is that of every father and of everyone who tries to reconcile what they do with who they are.
-Ellen is possibly the best portrayed female character at DC right now. I've only read Morrison and Lemire's Animal Man runs, but both of them really hammered home just how great she is at everything she does.

There's more, but to me, Animal Man feels like the perfect synthesis of horror, superheroes and family. I don't think I've found a single thing I could complain about. I've barely noticed losing Foreman on the art just because Pugh is that good.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

solidrooster posted:

It's also an oversized hardcover. So it will now match the rest of Morrison's deluxe Batman HC's.

Except for Time and the Batman.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

krut posted:

Haha do you really think they'll do that?

What do you mean? They've already announced the B&R Absolute.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Nodoze posted:

Will they honor this in-store?

It looks like there's a "pick up in store" option. When I clicked it, the price was $25.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Random Stranger posted:

I got it. I didn't notice anything really off about it but nothing really special either. It's just your standard well-executed OSHC. Good if you don't have the material (I didn't) but I wouldn't upgrade any existing hard covers for it.

I did because my bookshelf looked funny. Now it looks less funny (gently caress you Time and the Batman). It was also a pretty solid price point and I know some people who may want my old hardcovers.

So, does anyone know if the page count on the Infinite Crisis omnibus is around what I'll be getting if I buy The Invisibles one? Saw that thing at the shop today and good god is it immense.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

solidrooster posted:

Did you notice what the binding was like on Infinite Crisis? God I hope it's a nice sewn binding. Nothing glued down to the spine please!

I didn't! Despite my love of hardcovers, I'd have a hard time telling the difference without someone explaining it. I think sewn bindings have that little bit of fabric at the spine and typically curve out, right?

If no one has an answer for you, I can check next week, assuming the thing is still there.

edit: poo poo, the Invisibles one is 3-400 more pages? Have they announced if that contains the letters columns? Would it probably just be cheaper/more enjoyable for me to get the single issues?

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 28, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Tato posted:

The US volumes don't use the solid color scheme like on the fronts and backs of the UK editions. They're mostly white and feature different head shots of Judge Dredd on all the volumes (except for 3, which has Judge Death).

They do, however, maintain the bizarre spine design of the UK versions, where the volume numbers seem to go up and down at random. The US spines look just like these, they're just white with black text instead of the colors.

That looks like they scale the "Judge Dredd" so the font is proportional to the thickness of the book. Kinda messy, but probably not random.

I really wish someone would put people with an eye for design aesthetics on the creation of spines for TPB's. :(

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

I think it's a decent design, actually. The problem is that it's only a good design across multiple books if each book is the same thickness, and that's not the case here.

That's actually exactly what I meant and should have been a bit more specific, I suppose. I think they're pretty, but having it set to scale with the thickness of the book just makes the differences stand out.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I can't wait to get my hands on the new Scott Pilgrim tomorrow. Nathan Fairbairn is such a beast of a colorist.

Does anyone have the special edition from SDCC? What do you think of it?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

xK1 posted:

I'm downloading it now. I was planning to buy the print version (and I still might), but Comixology just sent out codes where you can upgrade to the color version (if you already had the B&W one, obviously) for $1.99, so I jumped right on that.

Oh, that's really awesome of them!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, can I request now that somebody let me know next week if the Invisibles Omnibus loses a lot in the gutter and whether or not the letters columns are included?

I really want to pull the trigger, but I don't want to regret the purchase at all. At least it's been confirmed to be sewn, from what I'm reading..

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

JackDarko posted:

Is the binding sewn or glued?

I think it's glued, but they glued one of the little ribbons at the top that tends to be on sewn bindings? With the size and the amount of glue (looks like something between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch), though, I'd imagine it's going to last a while.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Alhazred posted:

Sorry, don't have a camera :(

Are there letter pages? I don't expect them to be there, but at the same time, they actually had a pretty decent role in sharing the ideas of the series...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

^burtle posted:

I don't know what it means that aside from Final Crisis and BaR, I can't find a third book.

Same. Nothing else is really worth it. If you and a friend want to go in on it, though, it's a pretty solid deal?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if manga is kosher in this thread, but does anyone know anything about the Nausicaa box set to be released in November? (Amazon link here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...&pf_rd_i=507846) Specifically, what size should I be expecting? I imagine they are the small manga-sized digests given the price, but I would like to be pleasantly surprised for a larger print size. I can't find any information on dimensions or whatnot without throwing up a bunch of the older sized prints.

The original series was printed here at standard American comics size, and I'd expect the same for this, honestly.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Random Stranger posted:

We're definitely in the holiday shipping season. I got the Metabarons hardcover, the Donald Duck hardcover, and Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind box set on my doorstep all on the same day. That's a lot of good comics to get all at once...

How big are the Nausicaa books? I've been debating pulling the trigger, but this month is a goddamn killer for me on trades.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

xK1 posted:

They're pretty big.

Ugh, I just dropped money on Absolute FC, and it is wonderful, but seeing how big those are and how much I love what I've read of it, I have to get them.

Was going to order it last night, didn't, and now it's under review at Amazon. God dammit.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 8, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Well, we'd better mark them up to $100 then

Edit: I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating a bunch, because the 3rd Party prices aren't terrible, but one vendor has it at $9,999 :shrug:

Most of them just do stupid poo poo like that automatically.

Anyone know if we are ever getting a reprint of The Incal? Was just reminded that I don't own it in the Indie thread.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Adam Strange posted:

Humanoids did two print runs of it already. Is the second already sold out? I swear it was just done just a few months ago.

Not seeing it on Amazon for MSRP.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

OGB posted:

Marvel February 2013 stuff is up. Looks like we get a New Warriors Omnibus and sadly, Hawkeye's going straight to trade, no hardcover in-between.

Sadly? You wanted another of their premiere hardcovers?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

OGB posted:

While ultimately I prefer a nice large hardback, having the trades released in hardback first at least lent a level of consistency. Maybe it's OCD.

I guess? I've grown to loathe Marvel's love of $20 4-issue hardcovers.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I bought that many books in the last 3 years alone.

I think he means in one go, which I kind of agree with.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Ghost Boner posted:

The Invisibles omnibus: Worth my time or should I stick to trades?

Is the material in the omni different to the trades (recoloured, censored, etc.)?

I broke down and took a copy home from the shop the last time I worked. I haven't done a direct comparison, but the art is oversized and generally looks better.

It can be difficult to read in the sense that the book is unwieldy, but it is never difficult to actually read anything going on. The way they've got the spine, you don't lose stuff to the gutter, even in the dead center of the book.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Dear DC: please don't open with the #0. I really don't think you want it at the start of that Batman Inc hardcover.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

gently caress. You're probably right. Just gonna wait for the complete 52 Inc hc we'll eventually get.

This is dumb and I hate DC. Guess I'll be waiting too.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

Once G-Mo is off Action they won't get any of my money aside from trades.

I mean, I'll be picking up Multiversity, assumedly. But yeah, once Morrison is off books, DC's going to have a hard time keeping my money. I love Jeff Lemire, but Rot World has been dragging more than a bit and I don't really think Animal Man is something I'd pick up in the trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Sandman gets an Omnibus now too? gently caress you DC, this is just getting dumb.