Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Glenn Danzig posted:

THE DC UNIVERSE BY ALAN MOORE HC
Written by ALAN MOORE
Art by JIM APARO, BRIAN BOLLAND, PARIS CULLINS, GEORGE FREEMAN, DAVE GIBBONS, KLAUS JANSON, KEVIN O’NEILL, JOE ORLANDO, GEORGE PÉREZ, KURT SCHAFFENBERGER, CURT SWAN, RICK VEITCH, AL WILLIAMSON, BILL WILLINGHAM, JIM BAIKIE and MICHAEL LOPEZ
Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
On sale FEBRUARY 8 • 304 pg, FC, $39.99 US
The work of Alan Moore (WATCHMEN, V FOR VENDETTA, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN) during the 1980s is a benchmark for great stories with fresh approaches to iconic characters. Collected in this volume are all of Moore’s Superman and Batman stories, including ACTION COMICS #583, BATMAN ANNUAL #11, BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, DC COMICS PRESENTS #85, DETECTIVE COMICS #549-550, GREEN LANTERN #188, THE OMEGA MEN #26-27, SECRET ORIGINS #10, SUPERMAN #423, TALES OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL #2 & 3, SUPERMAN ANNUAL #11 and VIGILANTE #17-18, plus VOODOO #1-4, DEATHBLOW: BY BLOWS #1-3 and more!

Does this not include Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? I would have thought that would be worth explicitly stating instead of putting it into the "and more" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That is Superman #423 and Action Comics #583, they just didn't title it.

Ah, cool. Thanks!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Apparently DC put up 13 issues of Shade the Changing Man on their digital platform. Does this mean that they're planning on releasing the rest of the trades? Please?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

Wait. What is this? I just bought a copy of the Alan Moore book from my LCBS but have not had the time to read through it. What's the matter with it?

According to Amazon, it's missing The Killing Joke, so probably like, half the reason to get it in the first place. I'm sure there's various other QA issues as well, but that was the major complaint from reading Amazon reviews.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

but then you have the downright insulting Incal which butchered Moebius' art completely

Can you expand on this? I tried googling it, but couldn't find anything about it. I thought Humanoids publishing was generally really good about preserving stuff, especially considering that it was founded by Moebius himself.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

In 2004 DC signed a deal with Humanoids to reprint The Incal in English. DC ended up recoloring and censoring everything and it looked butt loving awful. Most recolors preserve the line art but this reprint would regularly alter and paint over the lines. You couldn't even tell it was drawn by Moebius. It would be like asking a child to paint over the Mona Lisa or something.

Thanks for this information! Good to know that I have a good version of the book, but geez, that is some godawful coloring. Why anyone would do that to someone else's art, let alone frickin' Moebius, is beyond my understanding.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't know how kosher it is to talk about Kickstarters here, but this one is probably worth it. Sullivan's Sluggers, to me, would have gone unnoticed except for the very significant fact that it features art by James Stokoe. Look at that art, seriously. You can probably safely ignore all the words because your eyes will just be looking at the art, but I'm sure the words will be okay as well.

Anyway, the project announced stretch goals, one of which would be an omnibus size and another would be a slipcase. I just really want the omnibus size, so hopefully there will be some movement generated here!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

On a tangent, are any of the non-Moore Top 10 stories actually worth checking out? I miss that world so much, but since it's so character driven, I can see someone just messing that all up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So can anyone report on the Invisibles Omnibus? Should I just pursue the TPBs or will this thing not fall apart instantly/lose half the page in the gutter?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't know if manga is kosher in this thread, but does anyone know anything about the Nausicaa box set to be released in November? (Amazon link here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...&pf_rd_i=507846) Specifically, what size should I be expecting? I imagine they are the small manga-sized digests given the price, but I would like to be pleasantly surprised for a larger print size. I can't find any information on dimensions or whatnot without throwing up a bunch of the older sized prints.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's a problem with mine. Some words are literally cut in half vertically which makes it look like they somehow cut off the layer that contained the lettering. Anything below that line (about 80% of the way down the page) is just unlettered.

It's about four pages where this happens and nothing really vital gets cut off but it is annoying to see such sloppy quality control for an expensive book.

I just checked my book and this bums me out. What are the chances of getting a reissue and replacement? Has there been any precedent?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

redbackground posted:

:frogsiren: ATTENTION: IT'S A BSS RAFFLE! WHAAAAT?! :frogsiren:

I have no idea how to take photos of bookshelves well.

I also have no idea where to put Little Nemo, since...well, look at it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Shameless posted:

Hickman confirms the inevitable...

There was a first FF omnibus!? I don't see it on Amazon unless I am blind and/or dumb.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, I'll second this. Frankly, I thought started to go down hill once the Adversary was revealed, because Willingham's initial plan for who the Adversary would be seems like it would have been so much more awesome than the way it turned out with the character he ended up using instead. Thanks British copyright law!

Now I'm curious, who was the Adversary supposed to be? I didn't mind who it ended up as, except for the anticlimactic end of it all, but I'm curious who else it could be.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't think this was mentioned here, but I'm excited for The Colossal Conan, which collects issues 0-50 of Busiek's Conan run. I have heard good things and now apparently I will have the option of reading all of it, assuming Dark Horse doesn't suck at omnibuses.

I'm also confused as to why Chew needs an Omnivore edition (10 issues each) along with a Smorgasbord edition (20 issues each). That just seems...kinda silly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

Holy poo poo, The Colossal Conan book is huge!

Is it actually readable? I'm tempted to buy it for myself as a Christmas present, but man. That is huge.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is this what I think it is? Is Marvel finally publishing the Alan Moore Miracleman books? http://www.amazon.com/Miracleman-Book-The-Original-Writer/

I don't know why they wrote "the original writer" instead of Alan Moore, if that is who it is.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's a side by side comparison with my next-largest books:

Goddamn.

Someone actually cared about Sliders past Season 2.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How are Image's deluxe hardcovers, anyways? I already have the first three trades of Saga on Comixology, but I kinda want to pre-order the HC if they're typically good quality and/or big.

I have the Chew Omnivore editions and they are great, but I also don't look at things with great scrutiny. If nothing else, it didn't crumble in my hand and I didn't notice anything getting lost in the gutters.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Zachack posted:

Taschen has finally officially listed the Little Nemo collection:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/01129/facts.winsor_mccay_the_complete_little_nemo.htm

Only $125 on Amazon, although a few details seem wrong there.

So I guess they're not going to print any more of those giant collections? They were really great, despite being pricy as hell.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I admit I have no idea what the hell happened in vol. 3 of Casanova. I think I only had a tenuous grasp of what happened in Vol. 1 and 2.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I wish they had just finished the Splendid Sundays volumes, unless those two volumes cover the same content as the Complete Nemo. I can't find any information on it, so do they?

Also guess who got their Saga HC signed by BKV :smug:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

obi_ant posted:

How does The Authority and Planetary intermingle? I'm currently reading the Planetary omnibus and people have mentioned The Authority as well. Is there an Authority omnibus I should be looking into?

They don't really, except for the fact that they're in the same universe. If you're interested, the only Authority worth reading is Ellis's and Hitch's (short) run, which is in hardcover. I guess if you can stomach Millar you can continue onwards, but nobody quite had the same scale of ideas as Ellis, unfortunately.

Planetary is more or less independent because that's sorta what a super clandestine group tends to do. Their nemeses are another super clandestine group, which may explain why The Authority never gave a poo poo. Except for one crossover (where the two groups still never meet), they are pretty much separate.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Note that the hardcover Stormwatch collections don't include an issue of WildCATS where, uh, let's just say "poo poo went down," which may make the issue following it really, really confusing and seems like it comes out of nowhere. It's really a shame.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

beergod posted:

This thread is almost always dead, so I'm going to post my latest orders and encourage you to do the same so we can talk about our cool books:

I will follow suit!

Two Brothers by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. I know nothing about this, but I loved Daytripper enough that I was willing to blind buy it.

Fatale Deluxe Vol. 2 by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Brubaker/Phillips noir has yet to steer me wrong. I want more Criminal and Incognito though, so I hope they actually go back to those someday.

Sandman Overture by Neil Gaiman and JH Williams III. It's Sandman, so I'm pretty much obligated to get this, even if Gaiman's last few writing endeavors have left me somewhat cold. Short form is where he really shines, though, so here's hoping it's good.

Looking to get Multiversity and probably more Courtney Crumrin books in my next order. I realize I'm not at all the target audience for Courtney Crumrin, but they feel like good comfort reads, despite the very uh, dark turn that Book 2 ended on. Maybe because of the dark turn?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I liked Ellis's run on Authority, but it felt like it was basically just a prologue adventure to something bigger and better...and then it gets handed off to Mark Millar.

I thought Stormwatch was readable but unmemorable other than THAT issue and Change or Die.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Uthor posted:

Ellis ends his run killing God. What's bigger than that?

I guess that's fair, but I guess I just wanted more adventures with that crew besides the two we got before Millar Millar'd it up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Uthor posted:

Have you picked up the new Wild Storm? It's not just Authority, but it's Ellis doing a new telling of the early days of the Wildstorm universe.

I kinda hesitate on Ellis series nowadays since he never seems to really finish them. I still mourn Fell and Desolation Jones.

Also is The Wild Storm set in the DC Universe now or did they disregard all that stuff?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Uthor posted:

Sandman

Even with something like this, they change stuff like the cover aesthetics, and you don't want to be one of THOSE people whose books don't line up well (to the best of the publisher's ability, which...seems to be surprisingly inconsistent sometimes). Also, you may also be subject to recolors, like in Sandman, but this is probably a lesser concern with newer comics.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone else order books from Amazon and they arrive in poo poo condition?

I never order TPBs from Amazon anymore because they package them like poo poo. I got something once that was packaged in one of those bubble wrap lined envelopes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I've noticed that my ability to retain plot threads has vanished over the years. Like I can never remember what exactly has happened in East of West or Saga or etc. It basically means that I have to binge series, which usually means a years long wait for them to be finished, but at least there're usually nice HCs available.

Getting old is certainly a thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

IST is doing thier black Friday thing

Is this on now because I don't see any indications of a BF sale?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Does anyone know if the Lumberjanes HC series will continue or is my collection going to be like Giant Days where it's split between HC and TPB?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can anyone recommend a vendor that isn't IST or Amazon? IST doesn't have the items that I want, which is sorta weird (Once and Future HC, for reference).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations and rundowns!