Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"I don't have pet peeves, I have major loving psychotic hatreds." - George Carlin

"...you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad." - Morpheus

This thread may be a little bit too PYF-style, but hopefully I (and posters after me) can generate enough content to make this interesting.

Every once in a while, there's a moment in a movie that bugs the crap out of me. usually it's something small, insignificant, and my rational mind is already brushing it off, rationalizing, or justifying it. But the irrational, nitpicky, :spergin: portion of the human brain lights up like a christmas tree. It may ruin the film for you, it may be part of one of your otherwise-favorite films of all time, it doesn't matter: the moment/thing sticks in your memory. Your friends know not to mention it, because you're fully capable of going into a rant about it.

It can be either a small scene in a movie, a cliche in a genre, an ending, whatever. Use spoilers if its reasonable to.

Here are a few examples of mine that I've prepared in advance:

Zombies as Wrecking Crews

I like zombie movies. Generally speaking I perfer the modern "fast" zombie, but there's always a special place in my heart for the classic Romero Zombies. It's easy to see why: they leave you alone until they notice you. After that, they never stop following you. They aren't hunting you in the classic sense, they are simply displacing you. They are weak, but that doesn't stop them from being a threat.

They can also break down a door in 1.2 seconds. Wait, what? Cue the classic needle-on-a-record-player noise.

It happens in almost every Romero Zombie film. Well, maybe not every one, but enough that when I see it, it drives me up the wall. It's like this conversation happens in my brain:

Movie: So yeah, the dead are rising.
Bib's Brain: Coolio. Eating the flesh of the living, despite no need for sustinence?
Movie: You got it. Oh, and the living are bone-stupid, that fine?
Bib's Brain: Fair enough. Anything else?
Movie: Well, there's this scene where a zombie puts his fist through a house's outside door.
Bib's Brain: :supaburn: JESUS gently caress MOST DOORS ARE HARD TO OPEN LIKE THAT! EVEN DUMBASSES ON YOUTUBE HAVE TROUBLE DOING IT! ZOMBIES DON'T HAVE THAT LEVEL OF CONTROL I CANNOT ACCEPT THIS :supaburn:

I know why it happens in the zombie films, but it's the prime example inspiring this thread. It's a completely justified thing from a push-the-narrative-forward method. But gaaaah, it tweaks me off in an irrational way.

The Mist's Ending: Something In The Background

This one talks about The Mist's Ending, so I'll spoiler it. The ending of The Mist has the Core Protagonists escaping into the mist in a car. When they run out of gas, they realize that they are screwed, and they don't have enough bullets to kill each other. The Main Protagonist winds up shooting everyone but himself, including his son. Running into the mist to die, he's discovered by a tank, and the military is purging the mist and its creatures.

But look at this video of the finale What's that white thing in the background? I don't 100% know, but my first impression (which has stuck with me) is that it's one of those pre-fabricated military building. It turned the ending from "Oh, the military was behind them the whole time!" to "Oh, they drove through an impromptu military base for that long stretch of road, and nobody noticed!" Like the FedEx arrow, I'm never going to not see it, and even if someone posts here saying "Oh, it's a big white turd", I'll still see it as what I thought it was.

These are just two, but I'm sure you've had these too: moments that bring out the sperg in you.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm irrationally upset that I had forgotten this thread! :unsmith:

Here's something small from The Matrix:

During the scene where Cypher is unplugging everyone, there's a point where Switch looks in fear before she goes ragdoll. My beef with the scene is that the exact moment she dies, they decided to play a NOISE OF DOOM BAD THING JUST HAPPENED sound. It would have been a stronger moment without that noise, because it would have been as if she randomly dies... Which is kinda what happened.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A BTTF scene that irrationally irritates me is that "...you're gonna see some serious poo poo" really struck me as really out of character for Doc Brown.

Hell come to think of it: it's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but doesn't Doc actually say that he might use the time machine to bet on something?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think in one of the BTTF commentaries, they joke that McFly men are genetically disposed to being attracted to women who look like Lea Thompson (or whatever her name is)

A small, very potent annoyance I've always had with Edward ScissorHands: if Edward needs to eat (he says he's hungry at one point), what was he eating before the family found him? It annoys me as much as it annoys me that it annoys me, because I love the movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

If I recall correctly, the flashbacks indicate that another one of his inventor's creations was a cookie-making machine. He clearly was eating cookies.

But the castle and its machinery are covered in cobwebs, suggesting inactivity :colbert:

(I thought the same at first)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

We don't see the room with the cookie machine, smart guy. It's probably the one pristine portion left.

I wish I had read this when I had it playing a second time last night while doing other tasks, but I'm pretty sure at the end when Ryder grabs a Scissorhand, you see the cookie machine stuff in disrepair. But I can kinda buy that :)

DrBouvenstein posted:

He was getting killed in three days. He didn't have the luxury of time. Had he months to work with, he probably could have concocted a miniature refinery of sorts in his lab/shop and created a close-enough analogue of gasoline from whatever oil he could get.

I can't remember where I read it, but I recall some historian saying that there were oil refineries at the time, and that gasoline was regularly produced (inadvertently). They had no need for it, so they'd basically toss it. Brown could have gone to one of those refineries and asked for a bunch of that 'useless' gasoline. But the obvious things arise: poor quality gas, car might not work right with it, Doc was gonna be shot, no plot without a conflict, etc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Synonamess Botch posted:

Plus there's still the distance and terrain issues. The DeLorean was a sloth on good gas, it would take forever to get it up to 90 on home made petrol and he'd have to do it without any roads.

I thought the use of a DeLorean as the time machine was partially done as a joke in the first place: a regular DeLorean on regular gasoline would never make it to 90 on its own, much less any of the materials put on the car to make it time travel.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Theglavwen posted:

Page back or whatever, but wait: Edward Scissor-Hands was an invention? Like, some sort of Frankenstein's-Monster thing?

In one of the flashbacks, there's a book with a series of diagrams that lightly touch on what Edward was. The basic progression was:

• Scissorhands Robot
  • Scissorhands Robot With Human Legs
  • EdwardIs With Organicish Body
  • Edward Pretty Much Human, Minus Hands
  • Edward as a Total Human

The Inventor died before the last step. It's funny, I'm pretty sure I saw a different version of the Inventor's Death as a kid, because I remember thinking that Edward accidentally destroyed his New Hands and that caused the Inventor to die of shock.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

Naw, as the Inventor was showing Edward how awesome those hands were, he died. Edward, attempting to hold onto his intended hands, cuts them into a million terrible pieces.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I saw a edited-for-content version when I was younger, because in my memory it went something like this: Gets hands, Edward cuts them, Inventer frowns, falls down. It wasn't until watching it recently that I saw a bit in there where Edward tried to touch his father's face.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This happens in more than just films, but its gotten to the point where that whenever I hear a bad guy define a protagonist as "resourceful", I want to blow my brains out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I think all AllSpark-accidentally-made transformers weren't supposed to be considered evil, just amoral as a result of going from Unthinking Machine to Suddenly Sentient Machine Organism.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
People were talking about the scene earlier:

What irrationally irriates me about the Switch Dying scene in the Matrix is that they put this DOOMBADTHINGSJUSTHAPPENED noise as she's unplugged from the Matrix. I think the scene would have been much stronger had she just went from alive and worried to ragdolled, with no sound effect to show the precise moment she's been unplugged.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Watching Oblivion today reminded me a Movie Moment that is not only Irrationally Irritating, but Goonilly Irritating.

I dislike it when a movie depicts a scene that would normally have nudity, but due to ratings/actors, can't show it. Not because I desperately want to see the assorted goods, but because the various tricks used to hide said goods never look natural. Posing, special sheets, whatever.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Related note: I'm getting tired of villains having to be thoroughly vile. Can't they just be ordinary and competent people in the service of the bad guys? The sleeper agent can't just be a soldier who works for the Elysians, he's got to be a sadist and a rapist as well. This gets tiresome, it's like the audience won't understand they're supposed to root against him if he's just Otto Skorzeny, so he has to be Ted Bundy. Either the author can't conceive of shadings of moral difference, or the thinks the audience can't.

I think the bolded parts have a lot to do with it. It's not that the audience can't conceive of shadings of moral differences, but that they can, and are all too willing to do so. If your thematic goal is to make sure that nobody stands on the side of the Bad Guy, he has to become a Really Bad Guy.

The bad guys in Elysium have to be over-the-top bad guys, because the filmmakers don't want you to think about how horrible it'd be if everyone on Earth suddenly had the ability to be practically immortal whenever they want.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's something that annoys me about a movie I absolutely love, The Cabin In The Woods:

So the whole gimmick of the movie is that these Ancient Beings demand a specific type of horror movie, with absolutely no deviation from that horror movie.

What I get tripped up about is how outdated / restrictive the horror movie the Ancient Beings want. Nowadays, we (in general) like horror movies that deviate, rather than adhere to, genre cliches. If they are so stubborn about changes to their desires, wouldn't they want to see horror experiences dating back even farther than ~35 years?

Maybe it's older than my movie-watching experience, but I don't think audiences felt ripped off if a virgin died in a slasher film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a feeling I posted this before, but I'm on my phone and can't find the "look at your history in this thread" button:

The scene in Close Encounters has a crowd of Indians singing the Iconic Five Tones. The problem? They aren't singing the right notes! It's made worse by the fact the next scene has everyone listening to a recording of the singing, suddenly singing it accurately.

I've been told that they are singing the right notes (that we hear it played as 12345, and they are singing it 45123), but it doesn't work for my ears.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or how a creature tens of millions of years old was never discovered before some loveable rednecks in some podunk town started getting eaten by them and then started appearing as far away as Mexico.

Tremors is the best comedy monster series, but you can't look too closely at it.

The best thing about Tremors is when they say "These things have existed since the precambrian era!", even the least-educated person pointed out how impossible that was. The response was "Yeah, but here they are, so :iiam:"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Watching the Alien collection on BR and seeing certain scenes over and over has revealed something that I think'll bug me more than it should:

So, the chestburster. Hell, I'll even show an image of a really fancy model. How the gently caress is a flat-faced, flesh-foreheaded thing getting through a sternum? The drat thing is designed to prevent stuff from the Outside to getting to the Soft Bits inside, and while I'm not a doctor, I figure the same bone prevents a Soft Bit from getting out.

This shouldn't bug me, but it kinda is :(

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Huh, some of those examples work, kinda, to reduce my annoyance!

I have another example of an irritating moment, but with a twist: the moment became irritating because of a third party.

There's a scene in Catching Fire where the main character, played by Jennifer Lawrence, has put a spigot into a tree. She's looking up at it, eagerly, waiting for the water to come out, which she eagerly consumed.

The problem? I saw this movie with my roommate, who has known me long enough to know that while I can dish out dirty jokes, I can't take them. The fact that I have a bit of a crush on Jennifer Lawrence didn't help.

So during that scene, my roommate leans over and whispers something along the lines of "Pretty hot, eh?". After a second of confusion, I got the joke. The end, right?

Nope! I took someone to see the movie last night (since they didn't have any family around), and sure enough, my brain decided to see that scene in that context. My normal brain knows its not like that, but the Crude Male Brain can't help but make that joke. And it annoys the hell out of me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

guess MIB2 is one example of this: The first film ends with K getting back with his old high school sweetheart and L comes to work for the MIB.

The next film, she left him between films so we can get right back to pissed-off K again and L gets mindwiped and sent back to the morgue.

Why?! It's not like you can't recast, or work that character development into a story or like you can't reassign them to support roles to keep J and K back as a team, again.

I can't say 100%, but I think the actress was annoying to the rest of the cast when making the first one, so they knew early on that they didn't want her back. Given the story has a literal memory wiper, it's not the worst example.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was a UFO guy years ago that said kids who are afraid of clowns are likely victims of alien abduction and see the features of clowns similar to the Greys.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space, believe it or not, actually gave a solid reason / guess about it. The aliens in the film are the cultural source of what we consider clowns, and somewhere through human history most people forgot that the chalk-white dudes with floppy shoes and red noses were dangerous and to be avoided. Those that are scared of clowns have that instinctive reaction that most don't.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

when in reality it's isolated to a vanishingly small percentage of a single generation of people from one planet, so how could there be enough to be a hassle throughout the outer planets, especially if they're also known to just hang around in a part of space around said home planet napping or something instead of reaving?

I only skimmed a few episodes of Firefly, but I think they said that they inadvertently "recruit" people they run in to: if they don't kill you, you go insane in the process and become one of them yourself.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Keeping the BTTF stuff going, I think I read that in the era depicted, workable gasoline was basically useless and a byproduct of making things they actually needed. Doc could have gotten all the gas they needed for dirt cheap, and while it was low-quality enough that it would eventually gently caress the car up fierce, it would have worked for at least one run.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Regarding the Looper discussion, I figured the future just had really really good CSI tech, making it impossibly difficult to murder someone 'cleanly'. Sending people back in time was the best/only way to ensure that the victim simply vanishes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not a moment per se, but still counts since it's a spergy thing:

Wreck-It Ralph's core plot is that the titular character, being the bad guy, never wins. But here's the problem: games of that era were designed in such a way that the bad guy always wound up winning. Ralph on Level 1 might be a pushover, but Ralph on Level 30 will be too fast to beat. Sure, there might be a neckbeard who can win until the game shits the bed because nobody was supposed to get past Level 255, but that's rare. Ralph always wins in the end.

I completely understand that the answer to this is "If he doesn't act in a certain way, there's no story", but it still annoys me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

'La gorge' means bosom or throat, so gently caress off dude.

So what? Old etymology doesn't matter as much as modern definitions. Nobody equates "gorgeous" with "busty".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

Alright, fine, whatever. Y'all just keep using the word gorgeous to describe little children, I'll be over here not creeping everybody out.

I wouldn't use that term to define a child, because it is kinda creepy. Your argument as to why its creepy was debunked.

One has nothing to do with the other.

It does irrationally irritate me that our language doesn't have distinct "she is visually appealing" and "she's sexually attractive", I'll grant you that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not really the domain of this thread, but I'm of the opinion that the Alien design has become so iconic in its own right that the phallic symbolism doesn't even factor in for most people. There's no room for "this scares me and I'm not sure why, turns out it's a penis" when you've been conditioned to understand that This Alien Is Dangerous And Will Kill You.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love the movie, but it kinda irritates me in Ghostbusters how the actors are clearly acting that they are shaking and struggling with their. It might've been a technical thing at the time (having to keep the proton guns stable to put in the special effects), but it looks so fake/we-are-sure-acting-like-this-is-a-struggle that it takes me a little bit out of the picture.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have this inkling I'm wrong, but isn't one of Divergent's major plot points is that the rest of the world is perfectly fine, and that once Chicago drops the whole faction thing, they'll be welcomed back by every other city that's figured it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Some of the extended universe stuff about the Predators even takes it further: they like hunting us because we're really really dirty fighters.

Not a movie, but the Command and Conquer game that had the aliens in it dealt with this topic pretty well. They were supposed to invade after humanity had wiped itself out flinging Tiberium all over the world, but arrived prematurely with what is essentially non-military units at their disposal. Powerful compared to the locals, but still only harvesting units nonetheless.

Your AI assistant points out how dumb sticking around is, but your boss is too obsessed with harvesting Tiberium that he orders you to stick around.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Apr 18, 2014

• Locked thread