Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Korean radish tends to have a bit of green around the crown, whereas daikon tends to be completely white. This isn't a hard and fast rule, obviously. Also, korean radish tends towards round, whereas daikon is more long and slender. Korean radish has a stronger, more peppery taste, although you also get at bit more bitterness. Daikon is much less bitter, but also more mild in overall flavour. All that said, the actual differences in taste are rather subtle, and both can readily be substituted for the other, depending on what you can find.

THANK YOU. This was the foundation of my argument, except that I didn't explain it as well as you did. I kept saying "this tastes more radishy then daikon".

As for blenders, I do like my stick blender, and I made a LOT of hummus in my old stand blender before I bought the food processor. I never use the attachments for the stick blender, but my mom says she really likes the wisk and cup for certain things. :shrug:

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

I love me some sautéed collard greens with garlic and lemon, but what else can I do with them? Use them like Kale and just put them in everything? Soups, Slaw, added midway into a braise?

Yes, in general you can sub collards for kale in almost anything. If you are getting sick of eating them cooked, try them raw, or raw food style (chopped and gently massaged with some acid). My GF really loves raw collard wraps for almost anything, but the texture is a little too waxy for me, so I usually give them a quick steam first.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, the cult of TM (followers of the Maharishi) don't eat onions, garlic, mushrooms or peanuts because they are "tamasic", which means they "inhibit transcendence". So instead of onions and garlic, they cook with asafoetida (hing), a pungent herb that sort of tastes like garlic and onions.

You also aren't supposed to drink any fluid while eating, and doors on houses that face south are banned.

I wish I was making this poo poo up. :smith:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dino could probably tell you more, it's most prevalent in southern Indian cooking, but it does bleed over into some nearby cuisines. It's one of the ingredients in the Ethiopian spice mix that my GF and I developed, which someone reposted about halfway up the page.

Its so powerful, that when you buy jars of it, it's about half powdered binder (much like most smoke powders). It will ruin other spices nearby, so seal it up good (I use a ziplock inside a jar inside a ziplock). Raw it smells awful; people have used it in the past to keep evil spirits away. Once you cook it, it smells delightful, and has a nice earthy taste. If you've ever been to a South Indian's home, you'll recognize the smell.

Good stuff, but not for people new to Indian spices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, and corn meal helps.

For the record, I use a lipless cookie sheet.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I’m thinking of adding artichoke hearts, anything else I should consider? Herbs/spices/etc? What about side dishes or better cheese?

Do it! Chokes are great with pasta. Asparagus would be nice too. Herbs, try some basic Italian herbs blend. As for better cheese, assuming that you used canned "shake cheese", you need to buy some whole hard cheese and shred/microplane it yourself.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Every time I've used corn meal (in a home oven) I've felt like it was more of a pain in the rear end than it was worth.

If I'm worried about poo poo sticking, I'll just use a sheet of parchment. For something like a pizza you just put it directly on the stone when the pie first goes in the oven, then do the tablecloth trick and pull it out after (literally) a minute or so. Doesn't affect the quality of the crust, and there's never any cleanup.

I know, I know, the girlfriend and I have these argument every time we bake pizza. She likes the parchment, even though it crisps up black if you leave it in. I agree that it's easier, and arguably better, but I just really like coarse corn meal on the crust. Doesn't taste like much, but I like the texture.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Are there any good breakfast casseroles?

Yeah, every year my mom makes one for breakfast Christmas morning... we joking refer to it as "breakfast lasagne". Not quite a souffle, clearly not a quiche, but more of a casserole in a lasagne pan.

I'll ask her for the recipe.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hard to go wrong with the recipe on the can of Quaker oatmeal. I like using oats as a binder instead of breadcrumbs.

A mixture of 50/50 beef and pork is a good way to go, and sometimes I use mild (sweet) Italian sausage for the pork. Add your binder, an egg, some herbs and spices, form into free-form loaf on a cookie sheet, paint top with ketchup, bake at 350 until it looks done.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Charmmi posted:

Sauerkraut is cabbage and salt. The salt extracts water from the cabbage and yeasty things that live on cabbage leaves turn that water into tasty sour juice.

Charmmi beat me to this, but I've been making sauerkraut with the following method: slice cabbage in food processor, gently massage in some salt (about 1 teaspoon per head of cabbage), cover with a plate, put a weight on the plate (plastic gallon jug filled with water), cover with a towel and let sit for around five weeks. The only trick part is the massaging: you want to break down the cabbage just slightly, just enough to get some of the moisture flowing.

Supposedly, organic cabbages will have livelier yeast, but I've never had a failure. I suppose that it just takes a little longer to get to the right level of acid? To that end, spiking the new batch with a little of the (live) brine from the old batch will cut your fermenting time in half.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Does sauerkraut also smell?

drat straight it does! It smells like Angel Farts. :swoon:

It actually doesn't smell nearly as strong as kimchi, because diakon is so smelly. We are currently fermenting a batch of kraut with raw garlic and caraway seeds, and that definitely smells a little funkier then usual.

therattle posted:

Thanks guys! Would vinegar and/or sugar affect fermentation negatively? The only thing I can think of is that the acidity from vinegar might retard fermentation, but I did add a splash to the kimchi and that stuff was fizzing like soda water.

When I made kimchi there was very little liquid, which concerned me, so I topped it up with brine until covered. Is this not needed? I thought fermentation required an anaerobic environment.

If the natural byproduct of fermentation is acid, how could adding acid retard the fermentation? There is also no need to add vinegar, just wait till the lactic acid reaches your desired level of sour, and then fridge it. Like kimchi, it will continue to ferment in the fridge, albeit very slowly.

As for sugar, never tried it, but it might turbo-charge the lactobac a bit? We won't know until you try.

You only need enough brine to cover the cabbage. Doing the massage method I mentioned, and then pressing it under a weight works just fine; if all goes well, you never need to add ANY fluid. If you store your ferment someplace where the brine can evaporate, you should add enough brine back to the pot to cover. I only had to do this once, and I used 1 teaspoon per cup of water to make the replacement brine. We had to do this because we originally used a (cleaned) rock as a weight, but it was breaking down in the lactic acid, and we had to remove it and skim off some brine. You can read more about that delightful caper in one of the girlfriend's blog posts:

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2012/09/introducing-angela-12-days-old.html

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A Traditional Irish meal: boil a pot of potatoes without any seasoning. Set the pot down in the middle of the table: guests reach in with their hands, pull out a tater, carefully peel it (the peels contain deadly poison), and eat it plain. Then have a three hour argument over the superiority of different potato varieties; this is known as "good crack".

All-American holiday option: add green food coloring to the boiling water.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Holy poo poo, Squashy Nipples, you just got scienced.

You say that like it is a bad thing. :allears:

I knew that alcohol generally exhausts itself at some point, but it hadn't occurred to me that the same process would work with lacto, too. If the lactic acid won't go above a certain concentration, why does it keep fermenting forever?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Use whatever you want. I usually buy udon and the yellow ramen noodles, because that's what I like. GoWithChrist likes Shirataki noodles, and those are a pretty traditional choice... just make sure you can handle the fiber load.

I like to use the Udon at the end, to soak up the last of the thickened broth.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

This is the real crime. I feel like I just found out Santa is really my dad or something - disappointed, saddened, as I watch a little more magic disappear from the world.

Agreed... but at the same time, I'm amused that Dino is so afraid of bugs! I can just picture Dino standing up on top of the kitchen table, screaming like that housewife from the 60s' Tom and Jerry cartoons, all because he saw a bug on the floor. You do know that people eat bugs, right?

That said, I must admit that we've gone to buying peeled garlic at Market Basket at my house. I blame the girlfriend. All HER fault.

EDIT: Ok, that came off a little harsh, sorry man. I too am super grossed out by fruit flies, and do a lot to prevent them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Should I just pick a vegetable, roast it, and give it to him?

Yes.

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

What are some herbs/spices/flavors that I can incorporate that can make it more interesting, without alienating him completely?

NO!

He is clearly a supertaster, which means his taste buds are the opposite of subtle... to him, everything tastes like it's been turned up to 11. Health wise, the important thing is to get the green stuff into him, so for the short term I would just give up on taste. I would focus on getting him to accept different veggies, different textures, cooked simply with just a little salt. Try some lightly wilted spinach, and then try kale.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Squashy Nips - We've tried the online tests and surveys and they say he isn't a supertaster, but who knows exactly what their efficacy is. He was raised on five things, all made from cans, and he still eats those five things. (Oh, I got him to eat chicken fried rice last week! Six things!) We both grew up and still live in the Midwest, so he's had a hard time breaking out of that diet.

A swing and a miss! Please disregard everything I said.

Scott Bakula posted:

Considering how often English food gets mocked, just what exactly happens in the US midwest?

Dark things... heinous things.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

angor posted:

I want to make the birds eye into a paste. Any suggestions?

Cut the stems off, briefly blanch them in boiling water (about 30 seconds, tops), and then grind to a paste in your food processor. If you want juice, you can squeeze it though a cheesecloth, or if you want paste you can strain it through a sieve to remove the remaining seed pieces. Add a little salt and tiny pinch of sugar.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I would split the peppers and deseed them, rather than have to put them through a sieve at the end. Also, reserve some of the water you blanch them in so when you process them, if the paste gets too dry/unworkable, you can just add a little bit to thin it out.

Yeah, but then you lose some heat! Best not to gently caress with the innards until after you've ground it up. Besides, deseeding tiny peppers is a pain in the rear end.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

The stalky things are beets. They're just longer than usual beets.

To add to this, beets come in a very wide range of sizes, shapes and colors, but they all roast up yummy. I had some beets roasted in a balsamic glaze last night at a friggen' Bertucci's (mid priced pizza and pasta chain) that were every bit as good as what I make at home; it's just that hard to screw them up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My go to soy sauce is Yamasa (Japanese style).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The fresh version is very hard to find, most recipes call for powdered. It's similar to fresh ginger, so I would probably handle it that way.

And yes, it supposedly has impressive anti-inflammatory properties.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I randomly saw it at Market Basket a few months ago... I was surprised, MB is really good at stocking local ethnic items, but I can't think of any cultures in the area that use it fresh. Jamaican curry power uses it dry, but outside of that, I dunno.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm sick of buying cheap basters at the supermarket. I only use one maybe 2-3 times a year, but sitting in my drawer they dry rot and barely last a year.

Anyone have a recommendation for nicer one?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sounds like tekkadon. Cook rice top with tuna.

Yup. Bear in mind that the Japanese will some times throw an egg on top of nearly anything.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

To hijack this, I'd love ideas for what to do with rhubarb, besides pie.

Cobbler. A lot faster and easier then pie, no need to make a crust.

Pizza Dude posted:

What are some good things to cook with yogurt. I bought a lot of yogurt.

Make tatziki and serve with Greek/Mediterranean food.
Marinate some chicken in yogurt and spices and grill.
Mango Lassis.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Not when something is preserved by smoking and pickling. In an airtight container, chipotle in adobe keeps forever in the fridge, regardless of whether you grind it up or not.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

TVP (textured vegetable protein) is the only thing that comes close texture-wise, and it's the only meat substitute that I really enjoy.
Buy it plain though, the stuff that's made up to "taste like" chicken is kind of gross.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I lived in LA, there was an awesome German beerhall that had great German food... I miss that place! There are NO German restaurants in Boston. There is one good butcher/wurst maker on the North Shore (40 minutes away), but that's it.

My girlfriend's new coworker is a German immigrant, and he makes his grandmother's Rouladen once a week for the place they cook at (well, almost; his grandmother's original recipe used horsemeat). He sent her home with a sample, and it was fantastic!!! He was impressed enough with our home made kraut that he said he was willing to share the recipe, and when he does I will gladly share with you Goons.

EDIT:
Baked beans, here is a vegan version done in a crockpot.
http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2013/03/crock-pot-baked-beans.html

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 13, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cook it till it falls apart on its own.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Slifter posted:

Just following up about my adventures with Tamales.

For reference here is the recipe I used.

1 3/4 cups corn kernels pureed
3 1/2 cups masa harina for tamales mixed with 18oz hot water
8 ounces unsalted butter
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder

The kernels of corn gave the masa slightly better texture and flavor than just masa. I used frozen corn because of the time of year and the difficulty in getting good corn in my area, if I can find good corn in the future I would totally try it again, otherwise I don't think it is worth the added bother. It is interesting to note that the masa failed the float test miserably, but turned out light and fluffy in spite of it.

The only other interesting thing I did was peel my roasted peppers in a bowl of water and then use that to rehydrate the masa, it definitely added some nice flavors.

I've never gotten consistently useful results out of the float test, either. But you just know when it's dough, right?

If you can find (or make your own) fresh ground masa, the texture is so much better that you won't need to add sweet corn. Also, lard makes for a better texture then butter, you should try it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How tall is a tree?

There are many, many ways to make "curry powder". Your best bet is to buy the basic Indian spices and start tinkering from there.

EDIT
I love Dino's use of spices, check out his Indian food thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516815&pagenumber=1

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 21, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^ I'm so old that we used to take pemmican with us hiking in the Boy Scouts.

Shnooks posted:

Also, I bought a ton of besan/chickpea flour to make pakoras, but I'm not sure what else to try. Suggestions?

Flat breads. Make them like a large crepe in a hot pan, and use them like tortillas or naan. We also do this sometimes for quick and easy Ethiopian food, when we didn't plan a day(s) ahead to make proper injera.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dino suggestion is great, of course, but if I had to cook a can of black beans, I'd do it vaguely Mexicanish. Toast some fresh cumin seeds in some butter, add minced garlic and onions. Once the onions are more or less cooked, add the can of beans, and then hit it with some powdered cumin, chipotle (minced adobo or powder), chili powder, and some oregano. Simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavors, turn off the heat and stir in the juice of 1-2 limes. Sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro on top and eat.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

These are the ultimate smoothie maker. Expensive, though. We have one and it's just sick. Still make hummus in a food processor, though.

I've seen the Ninja for half the price and it has good reviews on Amazon but I haven't personally used one.

Consumer Reports liked the Ninja more then the Vitamix, which is crazy bullshit. Vitamix FOR LIFE!

(maybe they just compared the consumer model, I dunno)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^
I just roast them, works good enough for me.

therattle posted:

I just saw my grocer has fresh turmeric. My instinct is to grab it, but I don't know what will be really good to make with it (vegetarian). Any suggestions, good goons?

This just came up like 10-15 pages ago. Only certain cuisines use it fresh; Dino had an answer but I don't recall what it was.

therattle posted:

I'm thinking of making my own paneer, so a fresh turmeric paneer dish might be good.

DO IT! You can taste the freshness.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tupperwarez posted:

Hey guys, got some questions about making masa, specifically the soaking/boiling step:

1. Does the corn have to be soaked in a cal solution (calcium hydroxide) specifically, or can it be any type of alkaline water?
2. How bad of an idea is soaking coarse-ground corn in the alkaline water instead of corn kernels? Or is this actually viable?

I live in Dongguan, China, so kansui and other types of alkaline water are readily available. Regular field corn is also available, but so far I've only found them in big-rear end hog feedin' bags. Coarse-ground corn is more readily available in sane amounts. (Of course, 5 seconds after I post this, I'll find a TaoBao seller with exactly what I want...)

Any info would be great, thanks!

1. No, you don't have to use cal, but it is ideal because it is less poisonous then other options, and it doesn't leave residual flavors after you wash it off. Do you have Amazon.com in China? Even if you can find a small packet, a little goes a long way. That said, if you have other alkaline solutions that are typically used in pickling/food processing, there is no harm in experimenting.

2. SUPER BAD idea. The whole point is to partially dissolve the pericarp (outer shell). The insides barely get wet.

In general, this is something that just takes practice, if only because of how much corn varies. You may find various recipes online, but you still need to monitor the process, paying attention to the smell and feel of the corn, to know when it's done. I used a purpose made masa grinder (looks a lot like a manual meat grinder, but with a different grinding plate), but you can use a food processor. Grind finer for tortillas, and coarser for tamales and gorditas.

EDIT
Here is the link that originally inspired me, some good info:
http://www.cookingissues.com/2011/03/09/mesoamerican-miracle-megapost-tortillas-and-nixtamalization/

Also, here are my notes from my ISCA entry where I made tamales from scratch:

quote:

2 pounds corn, 2 tablespoons cal, 12 cups of water. Bring to rolling boil, turn heat back to a low boil/simmer, cook for 15 minutes and turn off flame. Let soak for 1.5 hours, the water will get cloudy and gross looking from the dissolving pericarp. Drain, and then agitate with your hands to break up some of the pericarp. You want some remaining, as it provides workability to the eventual dough (and tamale dough needs more then tortilla dough). That slime on my hand is mushy, partially disolved pericarp. Soak and rinse twice more, and we are ready to grind.

Again, every batch of corn is different. Let your nose guide you.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 2, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like a mustard vinegar sauce on pulled pork.

DING DING DING! Listen to this man, mustard sauces of all varieties are amazing on pulled pork. I make a somewhat similar one with habeneros.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

What's IKEA cookware like?

Meh. It's OK; like most of their products, it provides a reasonable bang for the buck. I'm very suspicious of the non-stick coating on their pans, so I've never bought any. So I could be wrong about it, let me know how it goes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Put me down for butter in cookies, and butter only. :colbert:

And yes, creaming the gently caress out it in your Kitchenaide is key to the process.

SubG posted:

I know this doesn't apply to most people asking in the general questions thread, but a puddle machine makes putting together a Hollandaise (or Béarnaise or crème fleurette or whatever) dead loving simple. Yolk, water, butter in a bag at 148 F/64 C for around 45 minutes give or take. Comes out looking like rear end, but hand whisking will put it together in no time. I haven't actually forced a Hollandaise to break to try to bring it back together this way, but presumably if the sauce wasn't overheated first time around it'll work exactly the same way, since the sauce is an emulsion.

You've done it again, my mind is totally blown. I've always assumed that the traditional way done right before serving was the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Unfortunately fried chicken is the one western food that Korea has improved, Korean style is incredible.

If you mean, "improved over KFC" then pretty much anyone can do that. :colbert:

Sidebar: KFC's global reach is always shocking to me when I travel overseas. Some cultures aren't so big on burgers, but it seems like everyone everywhere likes fried chicken.