Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

theDoubleH posted:

Stock question #2: Is it safe to let it cool overnight, outside? Overnight low is 42 F. Last time I made stock it was below zero so I went for it.

Google says that 42°F is 5.5°C, which is (barely) in the danger zone for bacterial growth. The outside temperature is also likely to fluctuate, so you have no idea how long your stock would be in that danger zone, or where in the zone it would fall. Basically, you would be sending bacteria an engraved invitation to come flourish in your stock (which is a great growth medium for them anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Thanks! Gonna try to figure out things to do with it later.

Marmalade!!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Meningism posted:

Suggestions for some nice gluten-free recipes to go with gluten-free dumplings? A friend wants to cook dinner for his girlfriend, and is at a loss for ideas (beyond the dumplings) Nothing overly complicated, as he's a beginner in the kitchen.

What kind of dumplings? Jiaozi? Pierogi? Soup dumplings? More information is necessary here.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Meningism posted:

Sorry, looks like dumplings covers a wider variety of things than I thought. Jiaozi seems closest to what I'm thinking off.

Maybe something to go with some steamed rice? She's also sensitive to things like onion, and some fruit.

A crispy slaw-style salad might be nice - shredded carrot and cabbage (with or without broccoli stems) tossed in a light dressing that complements the flavours of the dumplings. You could also float the dumplings in a broth-based soup, which should be gluten-free unless you add something like wheat-containing soy sauce to it. If the dumplings aren't meaty dumplings, maybe a meat dish would be appropriate, and most of those are gluten-free unless you actively add flour or are using a gluten-containing prepared sauce. I wouldn't serve rice if dumplings are the main course - that's a lot of starch!

As for the other gluten-free question asker (potato and jam? Seriously?), make this cake as a layer cake and put jam between the layers.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I have a bunch of chard and bok choi and I have done so much braising and stir-frying lately that I'm pretty tired of it. Anyone have any bright ideas for something especially delicious?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I was thinking about dumplings, maybe in broth...do you have a favourite recipe?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure, I like chard in dumplings, the leaves are nice and the ribs can be minced and provide a water chestnut like texture. Remove the ribs and cut the leaves into chiffonade. Brunoise the ribs. Sautee with some minced mushroom, a touch of soy, and some sesame oil until wilted, add the rib brunoise and cook for a bit longer, don't overcook though. Add to some raw ground pork (don't use extra lean, it will make the dumplings dry) with a bit of minced garlic, fresh grated ginger, minced cilantro, white pepper, salt, an egg, a bit of cornstarch, then mix it thoroughly, then mix it more, and then more. You want to get the ground meat from a crumbly texture to a paste like texture, this involves a lot of working the meat. In the dumpling this corresponds to the difference between a crumbly meat filled dumpling to a coherent succulent meatball inside a wrapper. After working the meat, put it in the fridge and cool thoroughly. Then fill in wrappers, either homemade or store bought.

Thanks! I'm excited to eat these; they sound delicious. I have finally perfected a recipe for gluten-free (actual celiac disease! not weirdo hippie fake gluten allergy!) dumpling wrappers and now all I want to do is make dumplings all the time.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I actually found that it was hard to get the trick of just glutinous rice flour (because you have to do the thing with the boiling water, which is not the easiest), but I'll figure out that method someday. I use plain rice flour with tapioca and corn starches in there to keep the texture fine, plus a teeny bit of xanthan gum to help them roll out. It's the not-very-good-at-cooking person's solution! One day I'll figure out how to do it the boiling water way but there are many more failed batches between me and that day.

Wheat starch is in itself gluten-free but I wouldn't recommend it to people with severe allergies or Celiac disease, because it's very difficult to find wheat starch that hasn't been cross-contaminated with just tons of gluten.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure, I like chard in dumplings, the leaves are nice and the ribs can be minced and provide a water chestnut like texture. Remove the ribs and cut the leaves into chiffonade. Brunoise the ribs. Sautee with some minced mushroom, a touch of soy, and some sesame oil until wilted, add the rib brunoise and cook for a bit longer, don't overcook though. Add to some raw ground pork (don't use extra lean, it will make the dumplings dry) with a bit of minced garlic, fresh grated ginger, minced cilantro, white pepper, salt, an egg, a bit of cornstarch, then mix it thoroughly, then mix it more, and then more. You want to get the ground meat from a crumbly texture to a paste like texture, this involves a lot of working the meat. In the dumpling this corresponds to the difference between a crumbly meat filled dumpling to a coherent succulent meatball inside a wrapper. After working the meat, put it in the fridge and cool thoroughly. Then fill in wrappers, either homemade or store bought.

My dumplings were really delicious; thanks for this. Working the meat made all the difference.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

toplitzin posted:

1) Chili powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin are the big three "taco" seasonings. play around with the ratios by making some ground beef tacos, then apply the ratio to your crock pot meat.

2) The beans will swell a little as you soak them overnight. You'll probably only need one bag of beans per batch, or you can mix your bean types if desired.

3) The canned tomatoes are actually ok for this, you could try the rotel brand if you want some different flavor instead of "just tomato"

Bonus: there is an entire slow cooker thread here, check it out!

Just remember that if the beans are kidney beans, they have to be boiled at a rolling boil for at least ten minutes before they go into the slow cooker to destroy the phytohemagglutinin. Cooking at low temperatures in a slow-cooker actually increases the toxicity of this substance up to five times, so just boil the beans while you're browning your meat.

edit: Also don't use the soaking water to boil them in, and don't put the boiling water into the slow cooker.

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 11, 2012

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Vlex posted:

I've come into an rear end-load of Thai basil. I'll be making Pad Kra Pow tonight, but what do I do with the rest of this massive bunch?

Does it freeze? My gut says not, but do you guys have any methods for preserving the herb?

Chop finely, put in an ice cube tray with enough water to cover, freeze.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

LikeFunOnlyBoring posted:

I'm cooking this weekend for my boyfriend's dad for Father's Day. We're grilling filet mignon. His sister is a vegetarian, so I was trying to come up with a good grilled vegetarian option. I don't want to just do a grilled portabella mushroom on a bun. That's boring, and I can do better.

I was maybe thinking of doing a homemade veggie burger, but I am having trouble finding a reliable recipe, so I was wondering if anyone here had a good recipe for a delicious veggie burger, or had other ideas of something I could make for her. It doesn't really have to be grilled, but I figured since the grill would be out anyway. If it's something I can get ready ahead of time, all the better, since we're going to be busy until then and I'd like to get a jump start on the food today.

Overcook a cup of rice so that it's extra-starchy and soft. Add an equal amount of black beans and mash together. Add very finely diced onion and garlic, some chopped cilantro (unless she hates cilantro; then use parsley) and salt and pepper. Form into patties. I would cook these in a pan instead of a grill, but they're delicious, especially topped with fresh tomato and spinach.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Lullabee posted:

Went to a birthday party yesterday and the guys mom had made these delicious pesto chicken sandwiches. She said the pesto was just a simple olive oil pesto, out of a jar. It looked like some kind of spices mixed with the olive oil. It was just a loaf of bread, olive oil pesto and mayo mix, chicken with provolone cheese. My question is - what is a good simple pesto olive oil?

Your question is a little unclear.

If you're asking what kind of olive oil works best for pesto, I would say extra-virgin olive oil.

If you're asking what you put in that oil in order to turn it into pesto, basil pesto traditionally has basil, garlic, pine nuts, and pecorino romano cheese. The basil, garlic, and pine nuts are very finely chopped, the cheese is grated, and the oil is then mixed in.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

I have a block of paneer I liberated from my mom's fridge and now I don't know what to do with it. :(

Is there something simple that comes to mind?

Saag/palak paneer and mattar paneer are two pretty well-known dishes featuring paneer, or you can simply cook it in your favourite curry. You can also grill it and use it as part of a salad (I make one with cucumber and cilantro that's quite nice), or as a brochette with veggies.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Taha posted:

My garden is cranking out zucchini like there's no tomorrow.

I have given some to friends and co-workers. I have donated some to the local soup kitchen. I still have a bunch that need to be picked soon!

I usually just saute them with fresh herbs, or coat them in balsamic and grill them. I don't really know what else to do.. Does anyone have any good zucchini recipes that they'd be willing to share?

Stuffed zucchini! Hollow a good-sized one out and stuff with a mixture of cut-up zucchini innards, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant if you've got it lying about, and then top with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake until browned. Delicious.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Yesterday I cooked a turkey for American Thanksgiving (because why not?) and then used the carcass to make stock, as I usually do. Brought it to a rolling boil then lowered it to a simmer, covered it and went to bed. This morning the temp was 58° C, which is juuuuust in the danger zone. How concerned should I be about this?

I won't be too devastated if I have to throw it out (even though I hate to waste food) because my husband forgot to take the lemons out of the cavity when he put the carcass in the stock pot and the stock does taste weirdly lemony.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I did uncover it to check the temp but then brought it back to a rolling boil immediately afterward. Hurrah! Strangely lemony turkey soup for supper tonight!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
My spouse's boss is coming to dinner and I find myself suddenly living in a 1950s sitcom.

He eats ground beef and chicken but no whole cuts of meat and no other animals, vegetables, pasta (gluten-free only) and dairy products. I think legumes are OK but I'm not positive, and gluten-free grains like rice should be fine too. He rejects dishes with identifiable egg but is not allergic to eggs as an ingredient. I'm a boring person who has a boring repertoire of recipes, so I'm taking this as a chance to cook something interesting and delicious, but I don't know what. I would love some ideas for fancy, tasty, boss-appropriate recipes, if anyone has any!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Drifter posted:

He doesn't eat vegetables? :psyduck:

Can you make, like, vegetable-free chicken curry or something? Could you slice a steak as though he were a four year old?

No no, he DOES eat vegetables. I know: it's the opposite of the usual picky eater, and the sentence was perhaps worded confusingly. He eats: ground beef and chicken but no whole cuts of meat and no other animals; vegetables; pasta (gluten-free only); dairy products. Maybe legumes, probably gluten-free grains.

My personal opinions on grown adults who have a list of edible items that can be counted on one hand aside, I would like to be hospitable and provide a great meal, and I'm also looking forward to the challenge since I'm home on medical leave from pregnancy complications and bored as hell.

edit: Tamales are a cool idea! I've never made them before. His daily diet is pretty much plain pasta with plain tomato sauce. Sometimes salad or other raw vegetables. He's an interesting character.