Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Kettle corn IS vile, though. So is caramel corn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I still don't understand how it takes someone more than 2 minutes to scramble a loving egg.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

California has lifted its ban on foie gras, and I'm going to go buy some this weekend.

Anyone wanna recommend a good dish?

Make this.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

They were pickled green strawberries and they were delicious.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had never thought of that. I think. ill go out and get a spare tray.

Or go buy a bunch of cheeses and stretch your palate. Or make red sauce. Or coq au vin. Or something.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What should I do with a lamb shoulder?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

twotimer posted:

what a strange recipe. the bit about adding 'mashed and whole berries to the batter, stirring just to combine' is suspect. where i come from, purple muffins are thought of as being amateurish- something a housewife creates by accident. i reckon you should push the blueberries into the batter after they have already been portioned into the muffin tins. that will keep the muffins from turning purple.

That's stupid, who cares if they're purple? Shove in as many berries as will fit. Housewife my rear end.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What goes with merguez?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

KettleWL posted:

Couscous, tomatoes, onions, zucchinis, mushrooms. I know a lot of dishes with it use some type of sweet - golden raisins, dates, apricots, etc. in the North African line of cooking, but for my money Merguez is just really drat good sausage and should be used with whatever the hell you like. Traditionally it's Southern and Eastern Mediterranean cuisine.

I ended up serving them with that corn salad I posted in the chat thread and a pile of arugula.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Deviled eggs with crab are loving amazing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Check the flavor, if it's a little weak you can add a bit of salt to perk it up but if that does not fix it your probably screwed. Only other thing I can think of would be to bloom some more curry spice in some hot oil, add the curry to that, let it simmer for a while and hope that it all incorporates well. I've never tried that so YMMV.

This should work. Just add more flavors.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Serranos ought to be quite a bit spicier, yes.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

d3rt posted:

True, the other one without cream is gross.

No, this recipe is true and correct and delicious. If you think it's gross, you made it wrong and scrambled the egg or something.

It's true that the site could use some cleanup though. Maybe a GBS Cooking archive.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

I brought the ATK German potato salad recipe to work, and it persisted as a side to the sausage plate for like 6 years:

2 pounds medium red potatoes (1 to 2 inches in diameter), unpeeled, scrubbed, and halved if smaller or quartered if larger
Table salt
8 ounces bacon (about 8 strips), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon whole-grain German-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

1. Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover in large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender (thin-bladed paring knife can be slipped into and out of potatoes with little resistance), about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup potato cooking water, then drain potatoes; return potatoes to pot and cover to keep warm.
2.While potatoes are cooking, fry bacon in large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate; pour off all but 1/4 cup bacon grease. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until softened and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in sugar until dissolved, about 30 seconds. Add vinegar and reserved potato cooking water; bring to simmer and cook until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup, about 3 minutes. Off heat, whisk in mustard and pepper. Add potatoes, parsley, and bacon to skillet and toss to combine; adjust seasoning with salt. Transfer to serving bowl and serve.
Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish. Published September 1, 2003.

I make a similar thing except no sugar, with seasoned rice vinegar, 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs, and lots of paprika and cayenne. Mmmmm.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Thanks to a CSA I have a poo poo ton of red bell peppers and sweet potatoes, neither of which I really like. I have already souped and stewed. Besides just dicing the bells and hiding in salads, any other ideas?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Ferment the sweet potatoes with jalapeños, garlic, and onion. Enjoy the best salad accompaniment.

This sounds weird and interesting. Recipe?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Renzuko posted:

Anyone got a decent boozy eggnog recipe I can make? I'm going to buy some swing top bottles so I can just use those to store it in the month and a bit until christmas.

I do have archives, so if anyone still has one of the links to the old eggnog threads that'd be great.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

General Venereal posted:

It's not gonna be a tofu cake, just a cheesecake with lactose-free butter and lactose free cream cheese. :) Oh, and no citrus of course. But it's part three of a dinner I've planned for my friends' tenth anniversary, which currently consists of "tear and share" garlic bread with artichoke soup and crisped parma ham, boeuf bourguignon and cheesecake. I'm not the most advanced cook, but these were the best I could come up with considering I'd like to prep as much in advance as possible, and given the allergies:

Lactose
Nuts
Anything that resides in the sea
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Raw carrots (must be boiled to mush to not pose a threat)
Raw apples, pears, tomatoes.
Exotic fruit like kiwi, mango, pineapples, citrus, bananas. European fruit is okay though.
Paprika

Any other dessert recipes catering to the above would be greatly appreciated though!

That sounds like a whole list of bullshit. Just poison them.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Veskit posted:

What should I throw into a tomatillo green salsa besides some onion, lime, garlic, and something to heat it up?

Don't forget salt.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Veskit posted:

I thought that was just a default round these parts. And pepper of course!

Just making sure!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Bagheera posted:

Best way to make a pitcher of margaritas or other Mexican cocktails for a dinner party?

On September 16, I'm hosting a dinner party for Mexican Independence Day. 8-12 people total. I can make good margaritas and pina coladas one/two glasses at a time with a cocktail shaker. But I don't want to make people wait while I make them individually. Could I just pour 3 cups of tequila, 2 cups of Cointreau, and a cup of lime juice in a pitcher and stir? Any issues if it's made a few hours ahead of time?

Also, what's a decent bottled lime juice? I'm not going to juice dozens of limes by hand for this. Actually, I probably end up juicing dozens for the salsas and pozoles I'm making. So I'll be sick of it by the time I start playing bartender.

There is no substitute for fresh lime juice, period. Make a friend help. If you juice them ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the fridge because the flavors will start to go off immediately. You can't do it the day before. For a pitcher that serves 5, mix 250ml good 100% agave tequila, 100ml fresh lime juice, and 150ml agave syrup diluted with water to about 50/50, and a shitload of ice. You may need to adjust to taste based on lime quality. Do not make this ahead of time, do not add Cointreau or any other orange bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I got one of these and haven't looked back. I only even use it for margaritas in the summer and I still think it's paid for itself.
https://www.amazon.com/Switol-Citru...rds=hand+juicer

Hello, wish list.