Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Alfajor posted:

Help me, Goons with Spoons! I'm going to a potluck surprise birthday/new year's party, and the host has laid down the rules as:

My last name begins with an A, so was thinking of bringing something with Arugula, Avocado, Artichoke and/or Asparagus. I have no clue how to make a dish out of this though :haw:. I could also play it cool and bring an "Asian version of" something along those lines. What should I make?

If you aren't afraid of bringing/cooking indian food, I'd go with Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potato curry). That would definitely be vegan as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've heard of (never tried it) putting cocoa powder into chili, maybe that would add some darker flavor to it? Just a bit though, I imagine, you wouldn't want to overpower chili with cocoa powder.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Show Me A Chicken posted:

I'm trying to work out a recipe for saag paneer. I'm having fun trying to make homemade paneer come out right, but the spice blend is flummoxing me. Most of the recipes I find call for cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala, but all of the garam masala blends I find already have coriander (and some have cumin) in them. Is the point of adding coriander in these kinds of recipes assuming that you have a garam masala that doesn't have coriander in it, or is saag just usually a coriander-heavy dish?

Just add in the extra coriander, I'm willing to bet the majority of garam masala powders would have coriander in them already, so it's just to add in more coriander and cumin flavor. When I make a lot of curries they usually ask for garam masala powder as well as extra coriander and cumin, so it's a common thing. The main flavor I get from garam masala isn't the coriander and cumin, it's the warm spices like clove and nutmeg, so more coriander and cumin definitely help out.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Honey Badger posted:

Are there any good resources for recipes like this? Seems like a crockpot should be able to do a lot of different things but all I ever find are disgusting bubba chili, pot roast, and "barbeque" recipes.

I made this black bean soup earlier (it was actually linked previously in the thread) and thoroughly enjoyed it: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/black-bean-soup-toasted-cumin-seed-crema/. It says to brown the vegetables first, but that's probably not 100% necessary if you don't have the ability right now, just throw in the chopped up vegetables. The rest is slow-cooker only. The only "canned" ingredient is the chipotles en adobo, but that doesn't really count because they may be hard to find not canned, and it's only a tiny amount anyway. This makes a lot though, especially for 1 person.

If you are interested in using real spices, whole spices are definitely a good investment (if you have a way to grind them). They'll last longer and be more flavorful.

Edit: You mentioned "flavor spice powder". If you're concerned about that, stay away from things labeled "seasoning", they usually are salt with spice added. Most ground up spices or whole spices won't contain salt. If it's just "ground cumin" or something like that it probably won't have salt.

Edit2: While I'm editing my post with more advice, I'd suggest also making chicken stock in your crock pot. You can put in some cheap chicken parts with some vegetables for a while and have a less-processed chicken stock for soups and other things.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 30, 2012

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

About roasts, I find that cloves are a very good spice addition to a beef pot roast. Use them sparingly, though. One or two is all you'd need to have it be clovey. Chicken stock is also another good option for braising the meat in.

Would the potatoes pretty much disintegrate after 3 hours of cooking? When I make stews I just add them in 1 hour before completion so they're cooked.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I can't help with the some beans are undercooked problem, except for saying that I suffer from that too, but I can say that the crock pot method does work fairly well for beans. You just need to be prepared to pull them out after 8 hours or so on low, so scheduling it would be kind of a pain.

However, you :siren:MUST:siren: pre-boil kidney beans for 10 minutes before slow-cooking since they have some weird toxin in them or something.

A few notes on beans while I'm at it:

Contrary to popular belief, you can cook beans with salt. A lot of people claim that it makes them harder, but as far as I know this is not the case. You can even soak them in salted water before cooking.

However, you should only add acidic ingredients after beans are fully cooked, acid will halt the cooking process and if beans are not cooked, they will not finish cooking very well in acidic liquid.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Yes, that and if you added salt to the water, that contributed too. If you have this problem again, add some baking soda to swing the Ph of the water over to Base, which will actively help with softening your beans (and you don't have to boil them all day anymore).

I like this especially for trying to soften black beans to make a beany slurry for awesome burritos.

Salt in the water for cooking beans won't affect the time much at all. Salt is actually supposed to shorten the cooking time, but only be a few minutes. Salt is fine with cooking beans, it's acid that messes it up.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You just say SWIM (someone who isn't me) when you reference what you've done all the time, it's a great system.

On a more serious note regarding gas ranges: I was helping my parents prepare our Christmas meal in their new house with a gas range, but a pot of water took forever to boil on it. Maybe it's because I'm used to electric stoves (used them all my life with a few exceptions), but it took way too long to bring a big pot of water to boil. It seemed like a lot of the heat was travelling around the sides of the pot, could that happen because the pot wasn't close enough to the flame? The stove is messed up? It was a big soup pot type of thing, so it wasn't too small for the burners. We ended up putting the thing on the wok burner the stove has so it would finally boil in a timely fashion.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

one of them is probably a shichimi togarashi

This is a bit of a stab in the dark, but I think it might be the middle 2? They've got the character for 7 on them (apparently shichimi togarashi has 7 ingredients according to google?), and they're the same characters. The green one on the far right is definitely the Szechwan pepper, it's got "mountain" and "pepper" on it, another name for Szechwan pepper according to wikipedia. I think the left one translates to "gang", or maybe "ingredient". I just put 一味 into google translate. This is just me stumbling through google though, so I might be really off.

Edit 2: Ok, I take back the green one being szechwan pepper. I think it's japanese pepper, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanthoxylum_piperitum. Googling around for sansyo, a lot of the bottles are green so maybe that's it.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 4, 2012

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TehKeen posted:

So I'm trying to make homemade tortilla chips from scratch. Does anyone have any advice on doing so? I'm waiting on my masa to finish resting before I cook the tortillas up and I'm planning on using this recipe, minus the seasonings ( :pauladeen: ) to do the actual frying of the chips unless anyone has a different suggestion.

I figure you'd probably do this already, but definitely cook the tortillas before attempting frying them. I tried to shortcut making tortilla chips by just frying slices of thin masa dough, but they puffed up and weren't really tortilla chips at the end. Fresh made tortilla chips are definitely much, much better than the store-bought stuff in bags, though. If you've got access to a tortilla press it will simplify the process greatly, but it's not very common. I don't have any recommendations for shaping tortillas without a press, unfortunately.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

To add to the umami/anchovy discussion:

I was reading in the latest cook's illustrated about how umami flavors can be further enhanced by including a Disodium guanylate or disodium inosinate component with an MSG component. Apparently the two synergize and create a better savory flavor than either alone. So for vegetarian options, I think dried shiitake (they contain the Disodium guanylate) and kombu (they have the MSG) would help more than just some MSG powder. They also mentioned that anchovies/sardines already had a mixture of both of those chemicals, so they're a good addition to a lot of food. IIRC, fish sauce just contains the MSG, at least how they had it listed on their chart.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Doh004 posted:

This came out alright. It was lacking a lot of curry flavor and I think I would attribute that to the lovely Thai ingredients that I had from my local generic grocery store. Here's my process:

- Heat neutral oil up until shimmering, place 5 chicken thighs in
- Brown on both sides, reserve
- Turn down heat, threw in two onions to let get translucent
- Throw in some cumin and toasted coriander, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, fresh chopped ginger
- 3 big tablespoons of the yellow Thai curry paste (lovely Roland brand)
- Put chicken back into pan then pour in two cans of coconut milk
- I put another glob of curry paste in as it didn't seem yellow enough, half a juice of lime
- Throw in sliced red pepper and carrot
- Simmer for ~30 minutes

It tasted like a yellow chicken curry but there wasn't really any sweetness that I thought would have come with the coconut milk and the curry flavor wasn't pronounced. Next time I don't want to use that paste and find the actual spices. Also, I think I should find thai basil and some other herbs to freshen it up more.

How far off was I?

This sounds fairly close, but the majority of thai curry recipes I see don't brown the meat before adding the curry. I've seen it like this:

-Either:
a) heat a smallish amount of coconut cream until the oil separates
b) put some oil in a pan
-Add curry paste and spices and cook until fragrant
-Add coconut milk, cook until simmering
-Add some water (optional)
-Add chicken
-Add vegetables (Assuming your vegetables take less time to cook than the chicken).
-Add fish sauce

I've never seen onion in thai curry, but I don't see how that would hurt it either. I've only ever cooked the green variant so it might be in the yellow one for all I know.

A lot of recipes recommend adding water, so that can extend the coconut milk a bit.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to go get ingredients for the curry paste. Some of the ingredients might be hard to track down, it's a whole lot easier to just get a better curry paste if you think that's the problem. I've used the Mae Ploy brand before and it's served me fairly well on the few occasions I've made thai curry (green though). Plus they last a long time in the fridge. I found it at a local asian grocery.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Thanks for this. What did you mean about the oil separating from the coconut milk? This happened with mine. Am I supposed to take the oil out?

If you just put a bit of coconut milk in the pan and cook it for a while, it should separate, more so than anything that will come from the bulk of the coconut milk. Kind of like rendering the fat out of a piece of bacon for cooking or something (but totally different since it's a liquid). I've read you can skim the thick part from the top like cream from milk. On the other hand, I'm not 100% sure if this can be achieved with canned milk, they might put in some additive to prevent it from breaking, so it's probably best to just use oil initially and add all the coconut milk after sautéing the paste.

I wouldn't remove the oil at the top, since the curry paste has been cooked in it. It has a lot of the curry paste flavor in it. There shouldn't be a huge amount though, maybe the skin from the breasts contributed a lot to it?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yehudis Basya posted:

1) After grinding up seeds for various dishes, I am so freaking pissed that I used to purchase things like "ground cumin". I need some cardamom- does it matter if I grind from black or green cardamom pods? Furthermore, do I just take a hammer and crush the pods to get seeds, discard pods, and grind seeds?

2) Can you heat fresh leaves in a dry pan on the lowest heat possible, and grind the leaves up to get your own supply of oregano, thyme, etc, or is there a far more superior and super secret method available?

3) Mixing and match (pink) masoor dal and (yellow) moong dal in a stew- gross flavor combination or delicious? Recipe calls for the moong dal only, with broccoli and coconut.

4) Fresh coconuts. My store has 'em. But are these gross like tomatoes-at-the-store-gross, and should be subbed with canned coconut pulp (I guess you would call it)? Same question for tamarind- buy the fruit or the bricks or the concentrate or the paste?

Also, guess what! Methi seeds are the same thing as fenugreek seeds! Agh.

Confession: I've never bought whole cardamom before (it's drat expensive), but I do know that the green is different from the black. The green is usually used for sweet stuff, like coffee or chai. I don't know what the black is used for, but I remember reading it has a different flavor (it was also cheaper at the indian mart I used to go to). No idea on how to prepare cardamom though.

I'd say if you've got fresh herbs, just use them fresh. Some of the flavors are slightly different in the dried herbs though. Fresh basil has a different flavor than the dried version, I assume the same is true for most herbs. Traditionally herbs are air-dried.

If I were you i'd just mix the two if you want, they're just beans to a first approximation. Sure, they might have subtly different flavors but it's not like you're suddenly adding apples to a curry or something. I know i've seen recipes that use mixed dals before (like lentils+moong+chan dal etc) so just go for it.

I haven't seen a coconut in a grocery store since I was a little kid, so I can't help you out on that. Although now that I'm thinking about it, I really want a fresh coconut. I think I could make a pretty drat good curry with the milk. Then I'd have a bunch of coconut shreds left over for macaroons or something. Plus the water I guess, but I don't know what to do with that. Maybe make a mixed drink with it or something silly.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

What recipes would you guys recommend for someone who doesn't get home from work until midnight? I eat a couple small meals at work, and I'm hungry by the time I get home, but don't want a complicated recipe. All I've been doing is tossing a chicken pattie or two in the oven with a handful of French fries and calling it a night, but that gets old fast. I'm not a big salad person either. I prefer hot foods.

I'd say prepare a good portion of soup/stew sometime that you're not working and just reheat it after work. Soups and stews reheat very well, some even might be better after a sit in the fridge for a while. Just throw the soup in a pan until its nice & warm or in the microwave. You can eat it with some nice bread or some other starchy side for a good meal.

If you've got a crock pot there might be some recipes you could put in all day while you're at work.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I figured this would be the best place to ask: anyone know a good way to remove turmeric stains from floors? A bottle of turmeric took a tumble today off our fridge (no I don't know what it was doing there, I just moved in) and got a bit on the floor. I wiped off the dust, but we're left with a bright yellow splotch on the floor. It's one of those fake-tile type floors, I think.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How about a souffle? That's eggy, isn't it?

I made this mouse before and it uses eggs instead of whipping cream: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/05/perfect-chocola/ but be warned, it's an understatement to say it's rich, it's pretty much half butter & chocolate with some eggs thrown in.

You could make an angel food cake, but then you'd have about a dozen egg yolks, so make some custard out of that or something.

You could also crack them into a glass and drink them before your morning run at 5 AM to bulk up for the big fight, but I hear that's frowned upon these days.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Valdara posted:

I just cooked some chicken thighs by putting them in the oven with liquid, vegetables, and foil on top. I've never been able to figure out the difference between baking and roasting meats, but whatever. They are skin on and bone in, and there is a lot more liquid left than I started with (chicken broth and a generous splash of balsamic vinegar). I have two questions.

1) Can I put the leftover skins and bones in my freezer for stock? I've done it with bones before, but I've never saved the skin.

2) Can I keep the cooking liquid and use it in a few days? I will be getting an enameled Dutch oven off my wedding registry, and I want to take the same ingredients (chicken thighs, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, potatoes) and braise them to see how the different method changes the tastes/textures. Is that reasonable, is that super weird, or is that breaking five different laws of food safety?

I don't see why you couldn't keep the cooking liquid, provided the chicken was adequately cooked in it and it's been safely stored for the few days. I'd taste it to make sure it still tastes alright before throwing it in with more chicken. Although I don't know if you'll get a very different result. Braising is mostly about slowly cooking in a liquid, and chicken with vegetables in an oven that are covered by foil sounds like braising to me. Although I wouldn't save it more than like once or something, mostly since you'd be heating and re-heating it a bunch.

You can definitely put the skin in for stock, I put whole chicken pieces in for stock (skin and all) and it's good so you might as well use it instead of waste it. You'll get a lot of fat you'll want to skim off though (and you can use the fat later for other things). I would think the skin would have a good amount of connective type tissue and contribute a lot of gelatin to the stock as well, which is something you definitely want.

In my mind, baking and roasting chicken are pretty much the same thing. I think of dry heat when I hear both of those, but "baked chicken" brings to mind chicken roasted with some type of coating or something. The braising comes in when you put in liquid with the meat and let it cook in the liquid.

Totally unrelated: I made a chorizo and black bean stew and I made the decision to cook the chorizo with the (dry) black beans. The chorizo turned out completely black from the cooking water. In hindsight, pinto beans would probably have made a better choice so I'm not eating black pieces of meat. Still tasty, if a bit unsightly.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Someone tell me why potatoes don't suck and why they shouldn't be replaced by sweet potatoes in almost every application.

I think I must be crazy, since I don't like eating sweet potatoes. Too sweet potatoey for me. That said, I think sweet potato salad might be strange, I don't know if the vinegary/mayonnaisey flavor would work for sweet potatoes. I don't know how sweet potato corned beef and hash would turn out either, I'm not enjoying it in my head (but then again I don't like sweet potatoes so I could be biased).

On the other hand, maybe sweet potato breads could be fertile ground for potato replacement? I don't mind a bit of sweetness in bread, so I think some hot buttered sweet potato rolls sound kind of good. Plus you'd get a bit of orange color in it.

I think the potato really brings a starchy thickness to dishes as opposed to the sweet potatoes sweetness. I have a huge sweet tooth, but I don't really like sweetness in a lot of savory recipes, so potatoes should stay where they are.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 4, 2012

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

While we're on the topic, is there a basic video tutorial that's goon-approved for cooking in a stainless steel pan? Now that I don't have to deal with my dad*/brother ruining pans, I bought myself one with some birthday money.

* my dad, despite his degree in materials engineering with a focus on metallurgy, never realizes how easy it is to ruin a cheap pan. Or even a decent one, sometimes. Fortunately, he was easy to hide things from.

Yeah I know you asked for a video/tutorial, but this is just from my experience. The main rule for most of the stuff I put in stainless is that it needs either oil or water to cook properly. Trying to cook things without a reasonable amount of a cooking medium is just asking for trouble. Get the pan hot, add in oil (enough that it will cover the bottom), then put your stuff you want to cook in. There are exceptions for some meats (bacon should render out its own fat).

That said, the #1 rule of stainless pans are that they are not nonstick pans. If you cook eggs in them, they'll probably turn out messy. Be careful of anything starchy, like potatoes, they like to stick and burn too. This is also the best advantage, since you can brown things really well in a SS pan, like meats and onions. This helps develop a good flavor for the dish.

And if you mess up your pan too much, just cook something acidic in it, like tomato sauce. Valdara mentioned a rice patina developing on a pan. I have that happen to me a lot, but if I just cook some tomato in it it tends to just disappear.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How many meals/day we talking about here? Also is this literally all you have (like do you have tons of spices, anything liquid like milk or something?) What about butter/oils?

Anyway:
* Use the tomatoes to make some tomato sauce and use the tomato sauce on the spaghetti (this sounds like an adventure game). You can add in some of the bacon for flavor (you've got 2 lbs, so I'd say don't be shy with the bacon, that will help you stretch meals I guess).
* Save all the scraps for some sort of stock. Carrot peels, crappy outer sections of onion, celery ends, meat trimmings, stems of cilantro, pretty much everything. Save the meal using stock towards the end so you can just throw everything in there.
* If you have tons of spices, make a dal type of thing with the lentils and serve it with rice. Depending on how much of each, Rice & beans will keep you fed for a while. They both bulk up a lot, and with spices aren't too boring.
* Use the ham with the dried peas for a pea soup type of thing. Use some of the bacon as well with that. Serve with rice or some starch.
* Roast the chicken thigh quarters, save the bones & skins. Eat with taters.
* Make a stock out of the leftover bones & vegetable trimmings
* Choose one:
-Chicken stew (chicken + stock + carrots + potato + homemade noodles)
-Beef stew (beef + stock + carrots + potato + homemade noodles)
* Serve artichokes with homemade bread. Probably just a lunch type of thing I guess?
* Cook the oatmeal with the fruit.
* Eat grits with bacon
* Fry a lot of eggs and serve with bacon and bread.
* Save all of your bacon fat and make biscuits with it or something.
* Bake a lot of bread

There's got to be a good use for tons of bacon fat, I have a feeling you'll be rolling in it after a while.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'd say at least check a thrift store before buying new stuff. I've found old revere ware stainless steel pots & pans at goodwill before (and bought them). Just clean them out real good, stainless steel doesn't really get old and used like nonstick, but don't buy it if it's pitted I guess. You might find cast iron there as well, but those can be in poor shape. It might be worth it to just buy a new one, I think they're relatively cheap.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Any suggestions on my earlier pate a choux recipes? I don't really want to waste ingredients.

I know i've used the second one you mentioned (http://ruhlman.com/2009/01/pate-a-choux/) before and had it work. They definitely puffed up and were hollow so I'd call that a success. A short google has that recipe pop up in various places. The one I originally used was for gougères here: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/10/black-pepper-and-thyme-gougeres-just.html#uds-search-results, which is that same recipe, halved. I also found that one on some random blog, but it links back to the ruhlman thing. So i'd just go the old fashioned way and measure it out by volume. I'll bet the most important part is the technique and baking, and less the ratio of ingredients. I can't really comment on the "best" recipe though, I have only made them twice and I forget what the first recipe was. I know it was from joy of cooking, though.

hayden. posted:

Someone please tell me:
2. How to cook chicken breasts that i can then refrigerate over night and eat at lunch after being microwaved that tastes good.

Healthy is the key. Thanks!

Your best bet would probably be some kind of stewed chicken. I would think the liquid would allow for better microwaving, and depending on your stewing liquid it could be fairly healthy. You could put it on a starch and make it a meal (like rice or bread or something), or include some potatoes, or sweet potatoes maybe? They're healthier right?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Fraction posted:

In practical terms, what is the difference between caster and icing sugar? Particularly for when baking cakes, cupcakes, etc. I've had difficulty finding caster sugar in the past and was advised to use icing sugar, and my cakes have tasted fine with it but I'm just curious.

Caster sugar has larger grains. According to wikipedia, it's about 10x bigger than powdered/confectioner's/icing sugar. The powdered/icing/confectioner's sugar also contains cornstarch to keep it from clumping.

As for practical differences, the finer the grain the quicker it should dissolve. So finer sugars would be good for things like drinks or something you want the sugar to dissolve really well relatively quickly. If you just need sugar for a regular old cake, caster sugar or powdered sugar shouldn't be necessary, the sugar should dissolve in the cake. For Icing you want as fine a consistency of sugar as possible since the sugar won't dissolve, so powdered sugar is best there. Think of eating creamed sugar & butter from a cookie recipe as an icing. It would be kind of gritty. If you use powdered sugar though it will be smooth.

The other major concern would be that volumetric measurements of the different sugars will weigh different amounts due to the grain size. 1 cup of granulated sugar would weigh differently than 1 cup of caster's which would be different from 1 cup of powdered. So don't freely substitute them by volume, it would be like using kosher salt instead of a fine table salt when measuring salt. The content can vary by a lot.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Hey GWS,

I've got to make a Spanish/Mexican inspired dish for class tomorrow. I'm cheap, my cooking experience and supplies are limited, and certain obvious choices are already taken, like nachos, beans and rice, and drinks are out.

I was gonna go with refried black beans, topped with some crumbly casero style white cheese, and wrapped in a corn tortilla. A dozen or so of those, baked in an oven till crisp... Yes. That is what I've come up with.

Observations, criticisms, or suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated.

How about Arroz con Leche (Rice pudding)? It's rice, dairy (milk and evaporated/condensed milk), sugar, and some spices. That seems cheap, should travel well, would be easy to make a big batch of, and probably easy since you don't really have to care too much about making perfect rice for it since you're just going to drown it in dairy and sugar. The downside is it's a bit boring and not what most people think of when they think of mexican food.

I'd say in general a dessert might be a good idea, but I might be biased since I've got a really big sweet tooth.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Rahtas posted:

Well, I ended up using the recipe I found in a roux that I looked up how to make. I think I cooked it too long, so I added some milk and a little butter. In the end, it tasted pretty good, but it ended up a bit gritty. Anyone know how to make it smoother?

I can't say I've ever had Béchamel (that's milk+roux) be gritty. Lumpy, sure, but I wouldn't describe it as gritty. I'd say make sure to cook it well enough, and remember that you can never stir it enough, but you can definitely stir it too little! I always add cold milk to hot roux and whisk a bunch. Right after you add the milk it looks messed up and not combined, but when you bring it back towards the boil it will thicken up properly. Keep stirring the milk/roux mixture until it thickens, too, since you could develop local pockets of thickness and thinness. You shouldn't need to add any extra butter to it, though.

How much milk did you put into it? I don't want to be presumptuous but it sounded like you were going to just use the roux for the sauce and ended up putting milk in it since you thought you burned it. Just roux by itself would probably taste weird, it's just the thickener part for the milk. Maybe try 1 cup of milk per tablespoon of flour/butter? I'm not sure on how thick that would be but it's a good start.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

LongSack posted:

This is Tennessee, the hippies are few and far between :)

Great, then you can just give it to one of those crazy survivalist types, I'm sure they'd have a diesel truck!

Seriously though, how much are we talking? If it's a small amount I'd put it in an old peanut butter jar and pitch it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Awesome, apparently google can convert ¥/100g to $/lb (The answer is $2/lb). Anyway, I'd say it kind of sounds like a cross between chicken chili/stew/pulled pork (but with chicken). You've got beans & tomato (chili) Chicken stock (good for a chicken stew) and you pulled everything apart after cooking off a bunch of liquid (kind of like pulled pork). Did the beans get mashed? Then you've got some refried beans in there too!

I'd suggest using your own spice blend, you could probably make it better that way. Less salt, since you should correct the seasoning at the end, and you can add spices you like and leave out ones you don't.

Then instead of salsa you could add some good, fresh tomatoes and peppers and onions, although I don't know if you can get those in japan. If not, I guess there's really no way to improve on salsa.

Since you have a pressure cooker, definitely cook the beans yourself next time. I've always heard its easier in a pressure cooker, and it's definitely cheaper and tastier when you make them yourself. I don't know if they sell dry kidney beans in japan, but you could probably use azuki beans instead, they're from Japan.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You could put them in yogurt (like lowfat yogurt maybe since you're on a diet?) and just eat that, should be tasty enough. You could put them in cereal or oatmeal or something. Maybe a few on a salad? Also that's a whole lot of frozen fruit you've got.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, I'd go for eating them sausages. I'd do a smell test before eating, though. If it smells good there shouldn't be a problem.* I'd use it as soon as it's defrosted though, don't keep it around after defrosting, I think freezing only retards growth of bacteria, it doesn't kill them so it's still as "old" as it was when you froze it. I'd make sure to cook it through as well, just to be safe.

*By reading this footnote you agree that I am not responsible for any bodily harm done by taking my advice

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Smooglepoot posted:

I just made a lemon meringue pie today and there was some liquid that collected between the layer of meringue and the filling. Is this because I over cooked it? The recipe told me to put the meringue on when the filling was still hot, then I baked it in a toaster oven with a baking setting. The meringue was only slightly browned on the tips but it was firm all the way through.

The reason I used a toaster oven was because I had forgotten that we were having trouble with our regular oven.

Define "some". In my mother's lemon meringue pie, the meringue never really sticks to the lemon part, I guess having a bit of liquid is a good descriptor. I'm not talking puddles here, though. If the meringue was only slightly brown on the tips, there's no way you overcooked it, unless you did it at a super low temperature, then weird things might have happened. Meringues do have a propensity to "weep" by losing moisture (a lot of times on the top in a kind of unsightly fashion), so it's probably that. According to the internet, placing the whipped egg whites onto really fuckin' hot filling is the best thing to combat this.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

tuyop posted:

So, regarding my freezer full of pounds and pounds of berries:

I've tried blueberries in oatmeal (plain rolled oats with apple sauce and cinnamon, can't believe this poo poo is like .2 cents a serving), and in Greek yogurt with hemp hearts. However, they kind of taste like cardboard and have really lost a lot of their berry texture. Does this mean that they're old and I should just suck it up and throw them out? :(

Do they taste alright pureed? There's still a few things you could try to avoid the texture of the whole fruit. You could try to make some fruit leather, a brief google search suggests that you don't necessarily need to add sugar to the fruit, so it would be more diet friendly than jams/jellies. Essentially you just puree the fruit to roughly applesauce consistency, spread it thin on a pan and dry it out in an oven/dehydrator.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So does winter squash not keep as well in the fridge? That's what the internet says, but I just pulled one out (a yellow acorn squash) I have had in the fridge for like a month and it seemed fine (hard shell, no bad smell, no blemishes other than one spot that was just a nick during handling probably). Should I avoid refrigerating them in the future? I think I'm going to bake them then stuff them with some corn and tomatoes, since I need to use those up. Then roast the seeds, of course.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Altair X89 posted:

I'd like to use dried beans more often, but every time I've cooked them in the past they wind up having a different texture than canned beans. I follow all the directions involving soaking and not adding salt and all that, but they always turn out the same. Kind of gritty I guess? They never seem as good as canned beans but dried ones are cheaper. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to deal with it? :(

Just out of curiosity, what are you using the beans in?

It's kind of crazy how many wives-tales there are about dried beans out there. Don't worry about salt in cooking bean water, it does not make any difference. Cook the beans in salted water so they're well seasoned when finished. Soaked or unsoaked will not cause a bean to be uncookable, it will only change the time. You can cook unsoaked beans, provided you cook them for a long enough time. You can also soak the beans in salted water beforehand (although I forget the proportions) That said, a few things might be culprits:

* Hard water might be a problem
* Acidity will stop beans cooking, so always add fully cooked beans that have the ending texture in acidic dishes
* Old beans will not cook as well as newer beans.

I'd say just keep cooking them until they're tender. Beans will definitely be "chalky" until they're tender, and only time will render an uncooked bean tender. The time they tell you to cook the beans for is really only a guideline, the times can definitely vary widely based on a lot of factors. If they're not tender, just keep cooking them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nwin posted:

What's the trick to making soft chocolate chip cookies? Cold butter, melted butter, put the dough balls in the fridge right before the oven?

I guess this is rather obvious, but don't overbake them. When they start to brown a little on top is a good starting point to pull them. If they're well brown on top they might be too done and will be less soft.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

I fried some egg rolls the other day in a stainless steel saucepot and was left with some really hard/sticky residue that I can't get off of for the life of me. It's not actually where the oil was sitting(only had about 2 inches of vegetable oil in there), it seems to be where the oil splashed a little bit. It's towards the top of the pot on the inside.

Anyways, I tried soaking overnight, soaking in super hot soapy water, boiling water in the pot, barkeeper's friend and nothing gets it off. Anyone have any suggestions?

It looks like you used acids and detergents, but no bases. Some metals during processing go through an alkali degreasing step, so if it's a fat that's the trouble, it might be worth it. Try pouring some baking soda over it and making a kind of slurry or something and letting it soak. If that doesn't work, you're pretty much left with steel wool as mentioned above.

Electron Voltaire posted:

I'm a plastic-phobe and have stocked up on a bunch of variously sized Pyrex bowls for leftovers. It takes more money and space but it works.

I bought one of those pyrex containers that looks like a cylinder meant specifically for keeping leftovers, and it's my best food container. It cleans real easy, doesn't pick up odors or colors, will last a long time, and has a very good lid on top. The lid doesn't get very messy, so that should last for a long time, too. You can even put it in the oven (without the lid, obviously).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well if they're habeneros, maybe go for a jerk kind of spice? Traditionally jerk uses scotch bonnets, but habaneros are supposed to be similar. I'd say go for allspice (most important), and cloves (use very sparingly, cloves are incredibly powerful). I don't know if jerk flavors would translate that well to a pickle, but maybe it will be great. Only one way to find out.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Quick Guacamole recipe with an interesting twist?

Normally use a couple of avocados, some garlic, tomato, onion, jalapeno, line, cumin, cilatro, cayenne. I mean, it's always pretty dang good but I'm going to a taco themed dinner party tonight (!!!) and was asked to provide some guac. Was thinking of trying something a little interesting.

I guess when I say "something interesting" I'm thinking of how some folks put pears into an apple pie. But not? poo poo I dunno.

Suggestions?

I've put some chipotles en adobo into guacamole before, it was pretty tasty. It had a smoky flavor as well as being a bit spicy from the adobo sauce. I imagine you could chop up the chiles and put them in as well. It does slightly change the color though, since you're adding red stuff to green stuff but it's not that bad.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My mother's friend, who is korean, visited Korea a bit ago and brought back some candies. One of them was green tea chocolate and it was actually decent. Another one was a garlic candy, and it was possibly the foulest candy I've ever placed in my mouth. It was a gel-like consistency and fairly sweet, but it had an overwhelming flavor of garlic in it. That candy must be a microcosm for contemporary korean cuisine or something.

Speaking of korean cuisine, how does home-made kimchi compare to commercial stuff I can buy at the grocery? I bought some a while ago, but it had a really strange and off-putting flavor to it so I didn't eat very much of it. The best way I can describe it is that it reminded me of the taste inhalers (like for asthma or lung stuff). Was it just weird preservatives they put in it, or a bad brand or something? Or does kimchi just have a strange taste I don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

I have a about a 2-3 lb block of pastrami sitting in my freezer and I'm looking for some simple things to do with it besides slice it up for sandwiches. Googling's just bringing up how to make it.

How about Pastrami Hash? Pastrami is a bit like smoked corned beef (probably an oversimplification, but whatever). It's cured & smoked brisket I think, so maybe it could stand in for corned beef? Is it very fatty? The fattiness should improve the hash, I think.