Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Are there actually any real food magazines worth taking? I’ve gotten Bon Appetit and Saveur for years, but can’t say I love either anymore. Bon Appetit is too Brooklyn, kimchi on everything and aimed at people who want to be hip and consume the cool new thing but I don’t think ever actually cook anything. I want actual good, practical, not so chef-ey recipes (I’m sure it will be delicious, but I am not going to spend three days pickling beets to put in my konbucha-infused borscht with leftover housemade sausage ). Saveur is better on recipes and real food, but often reads more like a travel magazine than a food magazine. Cooks Illustrated is boring as poo poo-I don’t really need a recipe for cookies so chewy they are made of bubble gum-and completely uninspiring.

Is there a new Gourmet I don’t know about? I love everything Julia or Jacques or Marcella or Lidia or Ina or Alton ever did, and turn to their cookbooks regularly, but it would be nice to have some glossy inspiration show up at my door every few weeks that doesn’t want me to add seaweed to my beef bourguignon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BrianBoitano posted:

Lol I enjoy bon appetit, but I checked and my last recipe from them required 2 days of pickling peppers.

I think magazines need a hook to sell, and "good basics with flavor but without a lot of fuss or flowery mystique" isn't a sexy proposition. I'd say "Cook's Illustrated but more flavorful" is the premise of Milk Street. I enjoy the podcast but no idea if the magazine is good.

My wife laughed at you and said you're looking for Rachel Ray :laugh:
I like doing things the hard way waaaaaayyyy to much to go in for Rachel Ray. I sort of hate Christopher Kimball but do like the Milk Street podcast too, I'll have to take a look at the magazine.

My dad gave me some old issues of Fine Cooking he had and that seems like it might be the best I'm going to get in print. I'll explore the depths of internet cooking too I guess.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suspect Bucket posted:

You heard it here folks. Braise all your meats in Dr Pepper.
My grandmother's recipe for a big ham involves coating it in mustard, brown sugar, ginger and pepper, sticking cloves in it all over and basting it with a mix of Dr. Pepper and Miller High Life for a few hours and man is it good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Annath posted:

I gotta remember that one.

Suggestions on what to do with a big Virginia Country Ham? I bought it for my mom when I was in Waverly, VA (spitting distance from Smithfield) because I guess I assumed she'd know what to do with it, but she's claiming ignorance.
They can be a little funky, to me in a good way, but not to everyone’s taste. They’re usually very salty compared to a grocery store precooked ham. They make great ham biscuits or sandwiches with mayo and Dijon and Swiss toasted or just for breakfast or sliced like Casu Marzu said. Chop some up fine and add to/sautéed with green beans. The bones are great for soup etc. obviously

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AnonSpore posted:

Is it true that shrimp brains in dead shrimp will cause the flesh to soften and lose its spring? I feel like I read that somewhere and that was why you had to shell and cook shrimp asap after buying, but at the same time I also feel like it could be pseudoscience.
I’ve never heard of this. If I’m boiling shrimp I prefer them head-on because it adds a lot of flavor and have never had a problem of them turning mushy-usually more worried about them getting tough from overcooking. I do live on the coast and get tolerably fresh shrimp, but most shrimp you buy are IQF anyway. I wouldn’t eat the heads because they’re kind of gross, but plenty of people suck the brains out of crawfish.

Kind of cool to know it’s a real thing though. I’d never thought to sous vide shrimps, but I bet it would be good

obi_ant posted:

I like oysters. I've never shucked an oyster before. What tools do I need to learn how to shuck an oyster?
You need an oyster knife, which is different from a clam knife. Get a cheap one from a kitchen supply store, the blade should be pretty thick and kind of like a sharpened oval in cross section. You open them from the small end where the shell hinges. Chain mail gloves aren’t a bad idea either. Make mignonette, yum yum

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

baquerd posted:

Anyone ever played around making your own vinegar from beer or wine? I found some accidental beer vinegar in a container and while I have no intention to eat that, it got me thinking about how to best make homemade vinegar.
You don’t have to do much. My grandfather had a big wine collection, but then 8 years of Alzheimer’s and nobody keeping it cool meant most of it was pretty much vinegar. We dumped most of it in a big carboy with cheesecloth over the opening and stuck it in a closet and act fancy that we have ‘66 Chateau Margeux vinegar. We occasionally add more wine if we have something bad. It tastes somewhere between red wine vinegar and balsamic? A bit more body and mellower than normal red wine vinegar, but near as rich as balsamic.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Weltlich posted:

A question of my own:

Is there a low-salt/sodium thread in GWS already?

I've reached the age where blood pressure is becoming a concern and would like to swap recipies with other people who want to be healthy but also not eat the blandest stuff on the planet.
Rule 1: No muffalettas

My uncle has Meniere's disease and keeping your sodium low is supposed to help with that-I'd be interested in any ideas too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bagheera posted:

I'm roasting a pork picnic tomorrow. 8 hours in the oven at 250 degrees.
I want to serve it with baked potatoes and roasted vegetables, both of which I usually bake around 400 degrees.
If I just toss whole potatoes along with some sliced carrots, onions, and zucchini, will they turn out ok at 250 degrees and extra time? Or will they turn to mush?
I’d cook the pork at 250, take it out when it’s done and set it covered on the stove to keep warmish, cook the veg at 400, and throw the pork back in the oven for the last few minutes to warm back up if it needs it. Big hunks of meat will stay surprisingly hot for a long time. I think vegetables cooked at 250 would be very sad- pork that has cooked 8 hours isn’t going to get hurt by 10 minutes at 400.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have a good recipe for eastern North Carolina/Virginia style vinegary pulled pork in the crock pot or oven?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does cooked rice freeze okay? I just accidentally made like a gallon and a half of jambalaya.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

al-azad posted:

I got a big batch of blue crabs. Anyone have a recipe that's not just steaming? If nothing sticks out they're going in a dry curry.
Take the claw meat with with the claws still attached and batter and fry them. Otherwise crab cakes, just on’t yuck them up with Old Bay. Apparently nobody outside with Gulf Coast knows about fried crab claws?

Raw crab (even marinated in something acidic) just sounds like a really good way to get a nasty bug. Those dudes eat garbage and live in estuaries where every city’s sewer system overflows.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Okra and tomatoes is good too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My dad does this every year and it is excellent:
https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/sage-orange-and-clove-rotisserie-turkey/weber-6436.html

The rubbed sage and orange peel rub is what really makes it good. I'm sure it could be easily adapted to the oven. A good salting the day before is good too-I guess that's sort of a dry brine. Isn't the universal cure for dry turkey more gravy?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pookah posted:

I'm in a totally different part of the world so this may not be any use at all, buuut I've found shops with a high turnover of garlic (in my country, that would be asian supermarkets) have fresher and better stuff than ordinary shops.
This is my experience as well. Your local Walmart probably sells as much garlic in a week as Whole Foods does in a month so it’s generally fresher.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I started making a bunch of roux for gumbo etc. in the oven last night (never done that way before) and had to go to bed before it was as dark as I want. If I put it back in tonight, am I going to be starting from zero or will the browning pick up where it left off once it gets back hot enough? In other words is it going to take three hours or an hour?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bollock Monkey posted:

Smash less forcefully. It will still be way easier than scraping and picking and urgh, why would anyone not smash the garlic a bit before peeling it?!
Cut the bottom off then smash lightly the peel comes off even easier. I’m always amazed how many people don’t know that and try and claw all the peel off via fingernail from the top.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have no idea what Brazilian cheese bread is but I bet it is delicious.

Potatoes Anna or Dauphinois are my go to fancy taters with a roast/steaks, and both are excellent. I like garlicky french beans as a side, or garlicky sauteed spinach. You can get away with creamed spinach if you don't do Dauphinois potatoes-if you do both at one meal it can be cream overload.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

baquerd posted:

Thanks all. Would asparagus and hollandaise be too rich? Really feeling the need to cut the richness overall, maybe just a citrus and kale salad with almonds? Or just acid and asparagus as Doom Rooster suggests.
I've done a really great salad with shredded carrots and arugula tossed with lemon juice and good olive oil and salt and pepper that might be good too. It's in Marcella Hazan somewhere and its light and refreshing and delicious for being so simple. Keep the vegetable light and clean in any case-bitter/acid is what you need. You really can over egg the pudding.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My wife got a recipe from a place we went to in Charleston, "Callie's Hot Little Biscuit".

The basic recipe is:
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk.
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature.
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon melted butter for glazing.
  • 2 cups self-rising flour, preferably White Lily brand, plus more for dusting
They are amazing and freeze well, too.

If you google "Callie's Hot Little Biscuit" you can find all sorts of recipes.
I'll have to try that. I have a friend who swears by making them just with self rising flour and whipping cream, but I haven't ever tried that either.

I basically do the recipe on the bag of self rising White Lily, but add a bit more shortening and a dash of salt. There's enough shortening if you grab a handful of flour with fat cut in and squeeze and it sticks together but only barely. I used to use all Crisco because that's the way I learned, but I've started using about equal parts butter, Crisco, and lard for the fat and it is a nice balance of flavor and texture. I add the buttermilk (full fat if you can find it!) a little at a time until the dough just comes together-too much milk and it gets too sticky. The I roll them out about 3/8" thick, and fold the dough back on itself a few times to make some nice layers. Repeat one more time if you want to, but don't work it too much or the biscuits get tough. Roll out 5/8" or so thick and cut. I've started doing them in a cast iron skillet I preheat in the oven like for cornbread and it gets the bottoms nice and crunchy. Brush the pan and the tops with melted butter before you bake and bake 10-12+ min at 475.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anne Whateley posted:

Who caressss. I feel like the WDJSJDD MUST BE RARE brigade is way pickier than the well-done team at this point. I'm happy with rare, but if I had to choose between rare and a good crust -- which I think is often the dilemma of inexperienced home cooks -- I would pick a good crust. I dgaf.
Salt steaks and stick them on a wire rack in the fridge uncovered 24 hours before cooking. Take them from the fridge and stick them in the freezer for 10 min before you cook them. You can now cook the poo poo out of them in a skillet for a nice crust (and the surface of the meat is nice and dry from that fridge/freezer time) and have a perfect medium rare inside.

For me for an inch thick steak, 4 min on the stove over medium high in a preheated skillet, flip it over and stick the skillet in a 550 oven for 5 min followed by a 10 minute rest is perfect.

I’ve never understood why you’d want to sous vide a steak because I’ve always figured it would get way over cooked before you could get a nice crusty outside, but I’ve never had a sous vide steak to know what I’m missing.

All that being said, I’d rather have a steak a little too far toward medium than a little too far towards black and blue.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bagheera posted:

A quick tip for folks making Christmas sweets: use almond extract in place of vanilla extract. It's awesome.

Almond whipped cream (1 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp almond extract) tastes amazing, much better than the same made with vanilla extract.
Pecan pie with almond extract in place of vanilla has a richer flavor.
Although I always use vanilla beans in creme anglaise, a dash of almond extract gives it more flavor.

I've used lemon and orange extract as well, but those turn out good or bad depending on the recipe. Almond extract works every time. I've yet to find a recipe where swapping almond for vanilla didn't improve the flavor.
I do love almond extract and a splash in addition to vanilla is usually great in baked stuff(especially in a pound cake) but I find almond to be much more powerful and I think a 1:1 substitution would be very very almondy to my tastes. I haven’t ever tried adding some to whipped cream and I could definitely see it being great in custardy things-I’ll try it out in those, thanks!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Morales posted:

Doing a bone in prime rib for Christmas tomorrow. It’s been sitting in the fridge unwrapped since yesterday.

Two questions:

Should I season it now? It’s going in the oven in about 20 hours. Would it have been “better” to do it yesterday?

How long is this fucker gonna take? I did a practice one last week that was 5.5lbs, it took almost 3 hours at 225. This one is 8.5lbs so I am thinking it’s going to take 4? I wanted to try 200 this time but I don’t want to put it in at 630am when dinner is at 1:30.
Season it now, yes. I got my roast (4 ribs-9.5#, and the butcher gave me some extra chunks of fat so I'll have plenty of dripping for my Yorkshire puddings and gravy!) yesterday and salted it heavily and left it on a rack in the fridge to be cooked Tuesday. I didn't used to season it that far ahead and it was always still good, but its worth doing if you have the time.

I've always used the recipe out of my grandmother's copy of the The Gourmet Cookbook, Vol II which says to season the roast with salt (pretend you didn't already salt it and you'll be fine. Beef loves salt and pepper) and plenty of pepper and brown the roast for 20 minutes in a very hot (450) over for 20 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350 and continue to roast for 10-12 min/lb for rare, 15 min/lb for medium, and 18 min/lb for garbage well done roasts. I think current food science would tell you to cook it low first and then raise the heat to brown it, but doing the 450 first gets the house smelling like roast beast sooner and that is worth something. For medium-rare I take it out at 120-125F internal temp and let carry over heat do the rest. Sometimes the outside 3/4" or so gets a little more well done even with resting, but that's where all the good fat is and it can take the heat and is good crunchy. I let it rest a good half hour while I do the gravy and Yorkshire pudding and it is always still plenty hot.

Make your gravy with homemade beef stock and those good drippings and flour and plenty of pepper and a good glug or three of Bordeaux and you'll have a good dinner.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Qubee posted:

I'm trying to get in the habit of buying whole chicken carcasses and cutting it into thigh / breast / drumsticks myself. After a lifetime of buying these things neatly prepackaged, is the chicken meant to look as gross as it does whole? It's always got a bunch of blood in it and just looks very unappealing, and my rookie attempts at quartering it usually leave a somewhat mangled mess. I'll have thoughts in the back of my head where I'm telling myself "no, this doesn't look right, I shouldn't eat this / cook with this" but I ignore that and do it anyway, cause I figured it's just out of my comfort zone or something. Food tastes heaps better though, probably cause I'm cooking bone-in.

Am I just being a squeamish baby? Also, my food hygiene consciousness kicks into overdrive when using an entire chicken carcass, I just become hyper aware of anything it touches and I bleach the countertop after I'm done, but using the neatly prepackaged stuff, I'm generally alright with just washing the chopping board and sleeping easy at night. But I've got a fear that I'll be contaminating my entire kitchen or something with salmonella.
This might help you cut them up more easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfDsNRXPKE8
Jacque explains it so clearly, but butchers the breast section a bit differently. Also to cut the leg away from the thigh, if you put it skin side down you will see a line of fat separating the leg from the thigh-stick your knife in there and wiggle and your knife will find the joint. If you quit buying chicken parts and start buying whole chickens you will save money, get pretty good at cutting them up and be able to impress all your friends, and quickly accumulate a bunch of backs and wings to make great (free) stock out of.
If you want to be really amazed, watch Jacques bone out a chicken in like a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZkAHCR1D0

I went to my Mediterranean (actually Persian but they have everything) grocery today and got some Soujouk seasoning because I liked the name and it was a pretty color-what should I put it on? They also had baharat seasoning-what is that? I love their brown zaatar in couscous with chickpeas and parsely but I noticed they also have green-is there a big difference in flavor?

And on that note, is there a Julia Child/Marcella Hazan of Middle Eastern/Levantine/Turkish/Balkan food?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for the advice re: middle eastern seasonings/authors. I just did a chicken breast with soujouk mix as a rub and sautéed and made a little pan sauce with lemon juice and parsley and it was delicious, if not quite traditional.

The seasoning has a really great umami sort of flavor that I’ve tasted in a lot of middle eastern food but have never really nailed down the source-what particular spice is that? Or is it just a result of the synthesis of a bunch of different flavors? I was thinking allspice or fenugreek, but only because I don’t really have any idea what those taste like individually.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BraveUlysses posted:

so i had a "pan roast" at a place in san diego recently and want to replicate it at home...seems like its a creole 'inspired' dish

https://www.yelp.com/menu/the-dive-skc-san-diego-2/item/pan-roast

i found a couple recipes but they seemed to vary wildly
I’ve never heard of this but it seems sort of like an etoufee with plenty of cream in it?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is what I’ve used before
https://www.marthastewart.com/335600/julia-and-jacquess-chocolate-roulade

It’s flourless and stays fairly flexible but still will crack-just cover the outside with more buttercream and nobody will ever know.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s pretty stout-not like a soufflé or something. I think it would hold up fine, especially if you filled it with buttercream instead of whipped cream and put buttercream on the outside. I used to use it as the center of my yule log and then do buttercream and meringue mushrooms and stuff on the outside.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Eeyo posted:

How do you remove cabbage leaves without tearing them? I had an idea where I'd stuff cabbage leaves and briefly grill them on a hot skillet. Like lettuce wraps, but you get a little of that nice blistery, charred cabbage and it's a little warm. It worked ok, but I only managed to remove one cabbage leaf without tearing it.
I've seen Julia Child stick the whole head of cabbage in the freezer for a while to make a giant stuffed cabbage. I guess freezing the leaves breaks all the cell walls open so they lose their rigidity and just turn floppy when they thaw?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Think of vegetables/herbs that braise for a long time as seasoning, not as edible. They give up all their flavor to the pot and lose their individual personality and turn into mush-you probably don't eat the stuff leftover after making stock.. Lots of old Julia Child et al. recipes say take the vegetables/meat out, reduce the braising liquid until it coats a spoon, correct seasoning, and then return the meat to the pot and add vegetables cooked separately as a garnish. Alternatively, add the vegetables you actually want to eat at the end and cook them for 20 minutes or whatever they need and they'll taste like carrots cooked in beef juice and be delicious and not taste like brown carrot mush.

Reducing the broth enough makes a huge difference and a splash of fresh wine a few minutes before it's done cooking will help brighten it up too, and add delicate herbs like chopped parsley or chives off the heat at the end.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Squashy Nipples posted:

Thanks! A little more involved then I was planning on, but I've had success with beer-battered fish before.

I'm not sure I'd fool around with all the freezing/peeling stuff, but do use big onions with thick layers. I usually do a beer batter with a light brown beer like Newcastle or Amberbock. You can add some soda water or a an egg white beaten to light peaks for extra light/fluffy/cripsy batter too. The cornstarch helps keep it light as well. Garlic/onion powder are good in fried batters like that too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The absolute best thing to do with really skinny 1/4” chops is to bread them and quickly deep fry them like chicken and they come out all crispy and the fried fatty parts around the edges are so delicious. Sometimes I use boneless ones and pound them out real thin and bread with panko and pan fry in butter and make a mushroom sauce like jägerschnitzel.

Another way to cook smothered pork chops: get bone in center cut or blade chops 1/2-3/8” thick. Season with salt and pepper, flour lightly and fry them in 1/4” of veg oil until they are nice and brown-you’re just browning them not trying to cook them. Make gravy with the grease in the pan and some flour and chicken stock. Add kitchen bouquet if you feel like it or whatever other seasonings float your boat. A little thyme is nice too. Layer the pork chops with sliced onion and bell pepper in a glass dish and pour the gravy over them or put the peppers/onions and chops back in the pan with the gravy. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 325 for 1.5-2hrs, until you can about eat the pork chops with a spoon. Serve over rice with turnips greens or butter beans or some other vegetable cooked with more pork.

Source: I’m from Alabama

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DasNeonLicht posted:

Anyone have any favorite cast-iron skillet recipes? I just got one for my birthday.

I'm looking forward to making (trying to anyway) lots of pan-roasted chicken thighs. Roasting whole chickens in them also seems fun?
The ‘easy southern cornbread’ recipe on the bag of Martha White self rising corn meal mix is good. Preheat the skillet in the oven and rub butter or bacon grease all over it before you put the batter in. Use full fat buttermilk not regular milk and add a pinch of salt.

Friends don’t let friends put sugar in cornbread.

Steaks are great in cast iron too. Dry off steaks and salt well-leave on a wire rack in the fridge overnight. Throw the steaks in the freezer for 10 min before cooking, get the skillet good and hot, turn the heat to medium/medium low cook steaks on one side for 4-5 minutes, flip them over and put everything in a 550 degree oven for 4-5 min until done to your liking. Put steaks on a plate and rest for 10 min with a little butter on top.

I’ll have to find this great recipe from Saveur or Bon Appetit for Georgian-style spatchcocked Cornish game hens cooked in butter till they’re crispy all over with some yoghurt garlicky sauce that’s fine in cast iron.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suspect Bucket posted:

Fantastic article.

I make hoe cakes, no one can tell me what to put in those.
Hoecakes are just like improved but simpler cornbread with extra crunchy and definitely A++

I didn't know sweet/unsweet cornbread fell along racial lines-I just thought sweet cornbread was an Upper South/yankee innovation. Here I've always just had unsweet cornbread from white and african american cooks, but I'm in the very deep south.

Jaded Burnout posted:

How is it that I can never get sausages right? The most basic of basics. I always wind up with weirdly chewy and tough skin. Help!
Have you tried poaching them in water for 10-15 min to cook them through and then just crisping them in a pan with a little fat? That's what I usually do and I am satisfied with the result.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stringent posted:

Pure bullshit, I'm white as hell (North Carolina, just outside of Charlotte) and I was raised on Jiffy.
White/savory cornbread might just be a deep/lower south thing regardless of race. I’ve always thought of sweet cornbread as a northern/upper south thing. North Carolina (especially around Charlotte) is practically yankees these days anyway.

E: I’m from south Alabama and it’s mostly white/savory/crunchy cornbread (I love the little sticks) here regardless of race. Someone should make a map like the coke/soda/pop map so you know what kind of cornbread to expect.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 26, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

poeticoddity posted:

Seconding this. The only time I've ever been thankful that corn bread was present at a meal was when someone messed up making chili and it needed to be thickened to avoid being worn on my shirt.
I've had it from mixes, I've had it made from scratch by old southern ladies, I've had it at restaurants that were nice and ones that were nice little hole-in-the-wall places. It has none of the redeeming qualities of corn or actual bread.
The only preparation of corn I've tried that's more disappointing on flavor and baffling in popularity that's common in the US is grits, which I can only assume was invented to feed POWs captured by the south during the US Civil War.
Bless your heart.

How long is too long to marinate chicken breasts in an acidic (olive oil and lemon juice and salt and pepper and herbs) marinade? If I forget about it for an extra 24 hours am I going to have bizarre ceviche chicken that’s dried out after I grill it?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Someone posted the below Creole Etouffe recipe a while back and I grabbed it. I was thinking of trying to make it, but when reading through it to make sure I understood it. For the instructions bit, in Step 1 (I bolded) it says that the roux should get dark red. The instructions (at the bottom, also bolded by me) also say that you can use oil instead of lard, which is what I would do - will flour and oil turn red with no other ingredients here? Am I missing or mis-understanding something?
You cook the flour/oil very slowly and the flour browns. You can make roux in a skillet on the stove and stir constantly to keep the flour from burning, or you can make it in a skillet in a 325 oven but it takes a long time. You can also buy jarred roux at the grocery store sometimes-you want dark red/brick roux for that recipe.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some name for a category of dairy-added, whipped gelatin desserts? I got the impression there was something from the 60's that wasn't just stirring in some Cool Whip or whatever and often was done in layers. You still see it now, but there isn't a categorical term for it.
Charlotte Russe and any sort of Bavarian are basically whipped cream or whipped cream and custard stiffened with gelatin and put in a mold. Julia Child’s book is full of them, and Charlotte Russe is particularly delicious.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I make my own (it’s super easy!) and they’re soft, but I think even if they were hard sitting in the mold with the other stuff they would soften up.

Charlotte Russe and beef bourguignon and real bolognese are in the category of ‘things that still surprise me with their deliciousness every time I make them’

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 4, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

captkirk posted:

Any recommendations for a first Italian cook book? I'm getting sick of recipe sites (and the ads, javascript popups asking if I love food and want to give them my e-mail, lovely autoplay videos and all that) and just want to drop some money on a decent cook book.
Marcella Hazan is great but I also really like most of Lidia Bastianich’s books if you want something with pictures for inspiration. Lidia’s Family Table and Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy are my two favs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What role does oil play in semolina pasta, like what will adding more or less do? Is there a thread for pasta
I wish there was a pasta thread!

In my experience, more oil = less egg yolks = less rich/tender pasta. For instance, Lidia's recipe I use for homemade egg pasta has 'rich man's' pasta with 9 egg yolks and 2 TBSP each of oil and water per 2C flour, and then 'middle class' is 1 yolk, 3 whole eggs, 2 TBSP olive oil, and 'poor man's' is 2 whole eggs, 1/4C olive oil and 3Tbsp water. She recommends the poor man's pasta for lasagna or ravioli because it holds up a bit better. It is still miles better than dry pasta. I usually make a half recipe of the middle class one with 1 egg, 1 yolk, a tbsp of oil and then water as needed and it's enough for ~2-4 servings. A whole recipe just takes too long/too much space to roll out unless I'm really feeding a crowd.