Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

slartibartfast posted:

And John's intense dislike of the audio cryptic crossword puzzles!

I'm convinced John's obvious hatred of certain bits makes them that much funnier. His groans and snide comments whenever he realizes Andy has launched into a string of puns never fails to crack me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
The puns are what got me into The Bugle in the first place, long live the puns!

Also voted that I'd happily pay a dollar an episode. Hopefully if/when they do find a new home they'll be able to basically continue the same show. Is there any chance that the Times will restrict their usage of recurring bits, like NBC did with Conan? My guess is since it's just a little podcast they won't care, but you never know.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I saw John Oliver perform this weekend at the DC Improv, and even though I recognized a good chunk of the bits from being worked on the Bugle, it was still 100% worthwhile. He has an awesome, hilarious stage presence and physical bits that I didn't really remember from his Terryfing Times special, and ended the show by ripping on a drunk woman who kept shouting comments. The bit just kept growing and getting weirder and it was so perfect, he finally wrapped it up and was like "I can't really top that with how I was going to finish, so good night DC!" :3:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

How are u posted:

The only person I know of who can match Zaltzman in puns is the completely unrelated Ken Rudin of NPR. Actually, not only do both men have a genuine gift for punning, but they both have an encyclopedic knowledge of sports facts.

I'd love an It's All Politics/The Bugle crossover podcast :3:

Hahaha yes! That would be the most fantastic thing! I love the way NPR covers sports, it always cracks me up.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Popelmon posted:

Did John reuse a few jokes from his Daily Show bit about Obama/drones? That really confused me because I thought for a minute that I had listened to the episode already.

I don't watch enough Daily Show to know about that, but he definitely polishes some Bugle bits to use in his standup, so it wouldn't surprise me. Still totally worthwhile to see him live.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Boom, bitches. Listen to your heart's content. I started from the very beginning a few weeks ago, I've gotten through the first 25 or so. For the most part they really started strong and just kept it up, I'm impressed.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've listened to a couple of the micro podcasts from Andy, and they're fine, but I don't enjoy them nearly as much without the back-and-forth of John being involved. Just feels a little stale.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Popelmon posted:

I just started to go trough the backlog (starting from episode 1) and holy poo poo are the early episodes great.

I did the same thing recently and was blown away. I was expecting them to take a good while to find their footing, get their rhythm in sync, figure out their style... none of which happened. Grade-A Premium Bullshit right off the bat.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

ieatsoap6 posted:

A: I really enjoyed last week's episode.
B: I'm super excited to see what kind of merch they make! :dance:
I'll believe it when I see it. They've been talking about selling poo poo for ages now.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Poopy Palpy posted:

I honestly considered just stopping the episode after Andy's introductions because I couldn't see the episode getting any better, but then John stated singing.

Haha I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. That was a phenomenal intro bit, even by Andy's lofty standards.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Lady Gaza posted:

I'm going to see Andy's show on Friday, I'm hoping for lots of puns.

Please report back on whether his shows are actually as empty as he makes them sound.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Jet Jaguar posted:

This picture really is fantastic. John's expression is what makes it.

http://thebuglepodcast.com/?p=521

Hahahahaha that's awesome. Thanks for posting it, I was in the car when I listened and of course totally forgot to check for it by the time I'd arrived.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Isn't the Bugle on hiatus for another week or two? I remember being sad about how long they said they'd be off.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yep. My eyes kind of glazed over during the lawyer bits, but my god that intro was chock full of some high-density bullshit from Andy.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm apparently in the minority, I've never really cared for The American's shtick. But then again, I loved The Congressman's Penis and Andy's pun runs, so maybe I'm just broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Andy is on RHLSTP this week, it's an Avalon special!

Can somebody translate this for me?

• Locked thread