Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

I love the taste, but I think I suck at floating things, hardly an eye popper. What's the trick?

I made "Crimson Sunsets" the other day, and they were good. It's even easier to make a pretty layered drink with grenadine because it just sinks to the bottom. The port is supposed to float on top, but mine was pretty much the same color as the gin and lemon, so it didn't add to the layering effect. I guess you could put some purple food coloring in it or something.

It's just:
a couple shots of gin,
shaken together with a couple dashes of lemon juice and ice,
and strained into a cocktail glass.

Then you:
put a squirt of grenadine in the middle; it drops to the bottom
and then you float a little port wine on top.
^ The back of a spoon works. There is also a think called a *brolly (sic) that I've used to make Black and Tans, but mine only fits on a pint glass.

* Edit: just googled it for spelling. Apparently, the word "brolly" is British slang for an umbrella. Searching "Brolly spoon black tan" might find you one.

another edit: I just remembered seeing bartenders use a spoon that was bent backwards to float drinks. Google "Uri Geller".

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Slimchandi posted:

Two weeks ago I was wondering how to make for the red drink with gin that I had last summer.

Now I've read this thread back to back, and have the start of a wonderful problem. Thanks thread.

NB. not pictured, fridge full of soda tins, Fever Tree tonic and vermouths, and freezer FULL of ice cube trays.

I just bought that same citrus press. So rad.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I want to start making my Mint Juleps in a "proper" cup but I'LL BE DAMNED IF I AM GOING TO PAY 15 bucks for each loving "julep cup".
http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Stainless-Steel-Round-Sauce-Cup---8-oz-Capacity-c166p28506.html
Did I just beat the system?

I have to get a dozen of them, but I bet they're great little things to have around anyway.

Yea or neeeigh? Any other ideas? Measuring cups? Sugar shakers?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

I mean, if your primary interest is in having a proper cup, you'll pony up for a proper cup. If you primary interest is in not spending too much money, I'd just forget about having a proper cup in the first place and use whatever you've been using. I definitely wouldn't get a stainless steel half-sphere and serve a julep out of it because it'll just look silly.

What you should really do is spend like $90 after shipping and get a sterling silver julep cup because why not go for broke?

They're actually cups, not bowls, but they are shallower than I'd like.
I guess I care less about the "proper" cup as I do about the properties of the cup. Appearance is secondary, but still an issue.

I'm going to buy two of those cheap 8-10 oz. 3-piece shakers and try using the bottoms of them. I just found some for 4 bucks each -and if they don't do the trick for me they can just go in with the camping gear.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Slimchandi posted:

I'm thinking of mixing up some Adios Amigos cocktails for friends next week.

http://cocktailquest.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/adios-amigos.html

How essential would a VSOP cognac be for this drink? Could I get by with a VS brandy or cognac instead? They seem to be comparatively expensive spirits in the UK.

In the U.S., the cheaper brandy is almost always sweeter -much sweeter. It will be fine, I'm sure, but you might want to reserve out some of your simple syrup until you've tasted the drink. The author's "improvement" on that drink sounded way too sweet to me in the first place. I'd start with none of the simple syrup and then maybe add some in to taste.

dema posted:

Moscow Mule is a good summer drink. Just made some for my wife and I.

http://www.esquire.com/drinks/moscow-mule-drink-recipe

Where did you get those awesome cups?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 25, 2013

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any cocktails that use coriander/cilantro? I really love that herb. Would be nice if it could be whisk(e)y based so I don't have to buy more alcohol.

The obvious companion for cilantro would be tequila, but if you really want to go with whiskey try a julep.
The flavors and oils are concentrated differently than mint, so you will have to experiment with ratios, but maybe start with:

A wad of cilantro, say maybe enough to loosely fill the bottom quarter of a rocks glass.
A tablespoon of simple syrup.*
Muddle it at the bottom of the glass.
Fill the glass with crushed ice.
Drizzle several ounces of whiskey over the ice until it's full.
* you could just use a sugar cube or some fine sugar and a splash of water -honey even, though that will change the flavor.

I think a mojito with cucumber and cilantro would be pretty great too. That's a rum drink. Google it and then substitute for the mint and add some thin cucumber slices.

I'm having a hard time picturing any whiskey going well with cilantro, other than maybe a blended canadian. The bright flavor really should go with something light like rum or gin.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

rxcowboy posted:

I'm sipping another manhattan with scotch right now,

what's a good blended scotch to try? I've read excellent reviews of Teachers, Black Bottle, Famous Grouse, White Horse and Chivas 12. I'd be using the scotch for Manhattan's, Old Fashioned, Sours, Affinity and even Scotch and Soda. All of the ones I've mentioned are pretty close in price around here between 18-25 a bottle.

I get Johnny Walker Red at the high end of that price range, J+B at the lower end. BUT, that might be because my liquor stores have very little variety. No Famous Grouse or Teachers here.

Have you tried a Rob Roy instead of a Manhattan? It's virtually the same. I just found Peychaud's at amazon if you don't have it in your store.

http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/rob-roy posted:

Rob Roy
(Scotch, Sweet vermouth, Peychaud's Bitters, Maraschino cherry, Lemon peel)

Ingredients
2 oz Scotch
1 oz Sweet vermouth
1 ds Peychaud's Bitters (or Angostura bitters)
1 Maraschino cherry (as garnish or)
1 twst Lemon peel (as garnish)
Instructions
Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass (or on the rocks), garnish with cherry or twist
Notes
Can also be made "perfect" with half sweet and half dry vermouth, or "dry" with all dry vermouth.
http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/rob-roy

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

nrr posted:

zmcnulty posted:

I have one of these, Japan's gift to the world of rusty nails: http://sanosyoukai.com/cc/
Pretty awesome because it forces the bubbles out during freezing, giving completely perfect ice spheres every time.
How is this (as in, does it work and is it efficient and good and etc.) and do you know where can a dumb round eye who can only speak english order one/some from?

A couple pages back, but I just bought this set of two spherical ice molds for :10bux:. They have great reviews, unlike the silicone, two part sphere trays. The balls are a little bigger too -2.5". I'll report on it when they come in at the end of the week.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Devoz posted:

Any suggestions for things that I am missing?

Rum - Aged:

Ron Zacapa 23
El Dorado 21 Year Old
Angostura 1824
HAVANA CLUB SELECCION DE MAESTROS

Rum – White / Cachaca

El Dorado 6 Year Old Silver Rum
Leblon Cachaca
DOMAINE DE MARQUISAT DE STE MARIE RHUM LONGUETEAU

Rum - Spiced

Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
Cruzan No. 9 Spiced Rum
Hurricane Harry’s Spiced Rum
Sailor Jerry’s

Rum - Standard

Mount Gay Rum
Blackwell Gold Rum
Diplomatico Reserva
Bacardi 8 year old
Grand Reserve Plantation Rum
Bacardi 151
Mount Gay XO
Angostura 1919
El Dorado 12 Year Old

Rum - Flavoured

Malibu Coconut Rum
Malibu Berrylicious
Malibu Sundae

Whisky - Canadian

Alberta Premium Dark Horse
Black Velvet Toasted Caramel
Forty Creek Barrel Select
Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve
Forty Creek Copper Pot
Collingwood Whiskey
Tap 357
Lot 40 Copper Still
Canadian Club Sherry Cask
Canadian Club 12 Year Old
Sortilege
Sortilege Prestige
MASTERSONS 10 YEARS OLD STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY

Whiskey - Irish

Irishman 70
Jameson 12 Year Old
Bushmills Black Bush
Connemara Peated SIngle Malt Irish Whiskey

Whiskey - Scotch

Ardmore Traditional Cask
Isle of Jura Superstition
Amrut Fusion
Glenmorangie Original
Glenfiddich 15 Year Old
Talisker 10 Year Old
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old
Highland Park 15 Year Old
Glen Garioch Founders Reserve
Chivas Regal 18 Year
Laphroaig 10 Year Old
Aberlour 12 Year Old
AUCHENTOSHAN 12 YEARS OLD
Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra
Glenlivet 18yr old
GLENMORANGIE QUINTA RUBAN
Bowmore Darkest 15yr
LAGAVULIN 16 YEARS OLD

Whiskey - American / Bourbon

Buffalo Trace White Dog
Buffalo Trace Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
Bulleit Bourbon
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Knob Creek Bourbon
Blanton’s Bourbon
Cyrus Bourbon
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon
1792 RIDGEMONT RESERVE BARREL
Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr Small Batch
Angel’s Envy Bourbon
Gentleman Jack
Sazerac Rye 6yr

Vodka

Stoli Elite
Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka
Sobieski
Whipped Cream Vodka
Cake Vodka
Chocolate Vodka

Gin

Citadelle
Broker’s
Hendrick’s
Beefeater
Plymouth
Bluecoat Gin
The Botanist

Tequila

El Jimador Reposado
El Jimador Blanco
Cazadores Anejo
Milagro Silver Tequila

Mezcal

Jaral de Berrio
Zacbe Reposado

Sotol

SOTOL HACIENDA DE CHIHUAHUA PLATA

Calvados / Apple Brandy

Calvados Boulard
Laird’s Applejack

Pisco

Pisco Aba
PISCO SOLDEICA

Cognac / Armagnac / Brandy

E&J XO Brandy
Janneau Grand Armagnac
DELORD 25 YEARS OLD BAS ARMAGNAC
Plum Brandy
Hennessy Black
Courvoisier 12 Year Old

Other Liquors

Lucid Absinthe
Zen Green Tea Liquor
Schloss Kirsch

Liqueur - Fruit

Chambord
Xante
St-Germain Elderflower
Pama Pomegranate
Alize Bleu
Southern Comfort
Luxardo Maraschino
Grand Marnier
Sour Puss Lemon
Bols Blue
Labbe Francois Cassis
Hayman’s Sloe Gin
Triple Sec
Golden Pear
Heering Cherry Liqueur
Creme de Banane
Cherry Brandy
Apricot Brandy
Peach Schnapps
Melon Liqueur
Soho Lychee
Countreau
Hypnotiq
Seve
Luxardo Limoncello
Creme de Violette
Creme Vyette
Sour Puss Raspberry Liquour
LAPPONIA LAKKA CLOUDBERRY LIQUEUR

Liqueur - Nut / Dessert

Frangelico
Roasted Chestnut Liqueur
Luxardo Amaretto
Butter Ripple Schnapps
Creme de Cacao
Barenjager Honey Liqueur
Glazed Donut Liqueur
Blueberry Pancake Liqueur
Whipped Cream Liqueur
Kahlua
CRIOLLO CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY LIQUOR
Criollo Salted Caramel

Liqueur - Other

Strega
Cynar
Fireball Whiskey
Aperol
Campari
Fernet Branca
Nonino Quintessentia Amaro
Peppermint Schnapps
Green Chartreuse
Skinos Mastiha
Drambuie
King’s Ginger Liqueur
Benedictine
Anice
Pimm’s Cup
Galliano
Dancing Pines Chai Liqueur
Domaine de Canton
Xaica Hibiscus flower liquor
Vermouth / Fortified Wine

Vermouth/Fortified Wine

Lillet Rose (out)
Lillet Blanc
White Dry Vermouth
Sweet Vermouth
Dubonnet Rouge

Me.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Loutre posted:

I ended up with

Tanqueray (had tried it before)
Luksusowa
Cruzan light rum
Maker's Mark (girlfriend twisted my arm into it)
Rittenhouse
Epsolon
Dekuyper O3 (after a long time staring at the Cointreau)
Luxardo (was surprised to find it at the cheaper local liquor store)

All for around $155. Looking forward to this weekend!

Also just realized I totally forgot Scotch even after writing down Famous Grouse. Next time.

You can get a half gallon of Evan Williams for less than a fifth of Makers. I actually prefer it.
Try Pepsi challenging your girlfriend with it some time.
Old Crow is OK too.
I don't think any Bourbon is better than EW until you get near and just over $30. Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, 4 Roses, Blanton, etc.. I like them all better than EW but not enough to buy them regularly. Makers' 46 is pretty drat good though.

gently caress vodka. Just get Schmirrnoff; there is absolutely no reason to spend more than that on a neutral spirit. The only Vodka I like is Stohlichnya and that's because it's not proper Vodka, in that it has a flavor.

Try more Gins.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
This kindle book is free today. It's just loving awful, from what I've skimmed so far, but it's free. Cocktails: A Beginners Guide to Making Classic and Contemporary Cocktails at Home

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

Just get one of these -- literally all you have to do is slice the lemon/lime in half and squeeze it in this thing.

Seconded. If you don't have a citrus squeezermajig then you aren't drinking enough.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

mich posted:

I made this David Wondrich recipe last night and I really liked it. Refreshing, summery, not as vegetably as you might imagine.

2 tablespoons fresh corn kernels
4 halves cherry tomatoes
1.5 oz campari
1 oz gin

Muddle the corn and tomato
Add campari, gin, ice and shake
Double strain into cocktail glass and optionally garnish with a sage leaf

The fruitiness with the bitterness at the end made it kind of taste like eating a grapefruit.

The corn is uncooked?

vvv
Mighty, mighty pleasin' -corn squeezin'.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 4, 2014

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
We like some pungent olives in our martinis when we have cheaper gin like Gordons. Sometimes even garlic and bleu cheese-stuffed. We've even used pickles when we were out of anything else.

When we get our nice, local gin –or any nice gin, really, we usually go for a much more subtle cucumber garnish. Try that.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Elderbean posted:

I got a handheld lemon/lime juicer today and it's made my life so much better.

Friends are having a party saturday and I wanted to make some cocktails but nothing too crazy. I have Gin, limes, lemons, Vodka, Cointreau, Rye, Campari, Bitters (Angostura, Orange, Peychaud's) and Sweet Vermouth. Any suggestions?

I prefer the non-sour version of a Derby, but I never have Benedictine anyway and a sour Derby is a great use for your lime squeezin's.

I use Bourbon but go ahead and use your Rye:
2 parts whiskey
1 part Sweet Vermouth
1 part orange liquer (your Cointreau is fine)
1 part lime juice (a little more if you want)

shake and pour into a chilled cocktail glass or coupe.

Maybe an orange twist garnish?
You could throw in a lime wedge, in which case go light on the lime juice and people can adjust their own drink to preference.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Idk the Kirkland bourbon tried was more than okay. Two buck chuck did used to be good, but it would have been impossible to maintain that quality at the volumes they sell it in now. I'm sure it is something decent but I'd be thinking node along the lines of like stoli than grey goose.

Costco's alcohol buyers are the most powerful alcohol buyers on earth so it's probably not something bad.

Two Buck Chuck is a blend, so, The Trick, I've been told, is to buy one bottle then open it and drink some in the parking lot. If it's good you go back in and buy it by the case because the whole batch is good.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Death of Rats posted:

Just bit the bullet and myself a bottle of Campari after all the pro-Campari posts in this thread. Made myself an Americano (was going to make a Negroni, but I have stuff to do tonight) -- that poo poo is super more-ish, but the bitter-as-gently caress aftertaste is definitely something I'll have to get used to. The actual flavour of the thing was awesome though. It washed away the bitterness entirely, leading to this unstoppable cycle of drink-aftertaste-drink that will end very badly if I keep making them. Ended up adding another half-measure of vermouth to sweeten it up a bit though (I thought I liked bitter things - IPA, bitter, Kinnie (Maltese bitter orange drink), but this is a whole other level).

What entry-level Campari drinks do you guys use to get someone into it? Also, will the bottle expire, or will it keep indefinitely?

I sometimes put a splash of Campari in my Manhattan. There is the Boulevardier which is usually 5:3:3 Bourbon (or rye) Campari, and sweet vermouth but I don't like it as much as my Manhattan with Campari –which ends up being something like 4:1:1 plus a dash of aromatic bitters.

edit: ha. : 3 : = :3:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A lovely drink but still, this should happen:

Change the name of Jack & Coke to "Lemmy".

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wachter posted:

I like the sentiment, but I'm 100% sure that's fake. Weird font, artifacts, the fact that you don't shake and strain a Jack & Coke, and the fact that if you did your shaker would just explode in a torrent of fizz. There's no mention of it whatsoever on the Food & Beverage website, but that hasn't stopped a bunch of metal websites running the story.

edit: Well, gently caress, I'm wrong. That's insane.

I didn't even look at the recipe; that is pretty hosed up. Although I have heard of people preferring flat cola in their drink, I can't imagine someone shaking up ten ounces of it. Perhaps it's an elaborate troll designed to give rubes the ol' wet head?

But yeah, even if that article was fake I'll probably still use the term "Lemmy" for a Jack and Cola forevermore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

To give you an idea he claims he likes cocktails with 'structure, that change flavor as they linger"

Here's one for him. (The first one is what I was thinking about, but I guess any of them). http://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/11/20/9616000/brood-stock-broth-cocktails