Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Outside of Craigshouse and To Catch a Predator, I think this is my favorite segment they've ever done.

"How to know your car? That's secret"

Jesus I just now realized those are from college students. I thought they were from elementary school children the first time I heard it. Great segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Pompous Rhombus posted:

"It is a car of sincerity." gets me every time.

They talk about high school and having more freedom in college... elementary school ESL classes in Asia are basic stuff like colors, days of the week, "HELLO HOW ARE YOU?", etc.

I teach high school English in Japan, and the things my students say/write are a lot more innocent/naive than Western people of the same age. I have some 17-18 year old girls who unironically rock Sesame Street pencil cases, and if you give the class a word search (happened once), even the shittiest kids will work on it with absolute dedication. There's really nothing too childish for them; I'll throw the doofiest looking clipart on a worksheet and they'll all think it's cute.

My kids' English is a LOT worse than those letters, to the point where there wouldn't be much comedy value (they don't have the vocabulary to be that creative, 98% of it would be really formulaic and boring), otherwise I'd try and do the same thing. If I saw some kind of opening to include it in a lesson I still probably would try something, and e-mail the best ones to the show.

I did ask a kid if he was a pineapple today, to which he replied "A little".

Actually I live in Aichi, 'sup Japan dude. :hfive:

The thing about those being written postcards is what surprised me when I finally realized they were college-aged. The Jr. High kids I used to teach would crank out stuff better than that on written assignments. It's probably apples/oranges, depending on motivation/history/etc.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I always thought Uhh Yeah Dude was a podcast by assholes, for assholes. Isn't that why we like it? That's why I like it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Isn't there a Patreon url of old shows? I've got the goon-made (I think) url, but I thought I remembered them saying something to that effect. Probably just my drunk memory loving with me.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Gotcha, thanks. I'll just stick with the RSS feed then.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Beastie posted:

Patreon pulls in over 12k a month. They’re already effectively living off the podcast, even though they both have jobs. I’m sure that portions of that 12k go to editing, merch, airline tickets, but they’re definitely making a respectable living off the show.

My understanding was that the money basically goes to Seth (so he doesn't work anymore) and Jah keeps sucking off the tit of his dad.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 8, 2019

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Am I the only one that quits listening once they start their outro about spreading the word/iTunes/Patreon? I'm a donor already, and it seems like they rarely say anything else of substance once the spiel starts.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

clopping and cumming posted:

Exactly. You have to hear the boys give the proper goodbye. It’s perfect.

drat, I knew I was missing something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Guess I'm listening to the whole spiel from now on.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I have a huge UYD backlog, and I'm only now getting to the mid-January episodes. They're already freaking out about it. I can't imagine what the more recent eps must be like.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Jippa posted:

After reading the chapo thread it made me think. Did seth ever talk about watching uncut gems (adam sandler)?

He definitely talked about watching it, but I can’t remember what episode or even his take. I’m tempted to say he was incredulous at the fact people enjoyed it, but that’s not much of a stretch given his usual takes on Sandler.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

inferis posted:

I’m guessing the recording messed up and they thought they lost more than they actually did

There was a super-fast mention right before they went it again that they had an audio screwup. At least on the first version posted.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Jesus. Has no one told him about the controversy behind it?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Pryor on Fire posted:

What else are the idle dumb rich going to spend their money on? It's this or video game hats.

Video game hats aren’t sending the world to hell in a hand basket. NFT/crypto in general is a plague on Earth and among the worst things the idle rich could possibly spend their money on.

It’s a notch below actively burning rainforests.

At the same time, there’s a certain amusement at Jah making awful decisions he eventually feels deeply shamed about. This is one of the bigger ones.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
For olds like Jah (and I) the term used to be “disassociation”. It’s fallen out of favor for “dissociation”.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Deleted the archives a long time ago, tried to find the link, but Patreon is only giving me the live link. Where did it go?

vvv: many thanks! I deleted it from my feed, and completely forgot how I got it in the first place.

double edit: huh, my Patreon login doesn’t work and I have no idea what login Jonathan “gave me”. Not the biggest deal I guess. :shrug:

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 22, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Thanks!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

uhhyeahdude.com/archives, use the password you'll on the Patreon, right underneath the heading Posts on their page are tags to filter by and the third one is "UYD Archive Password" (looks like it's still the same one from a 2019 post?)

Thanks to both of you, but I'm an idiot. I deleted my live show feed, re-added it via the Patreon link, and the archives RSS showed up in Overcast.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 23, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

n8r posted:

130k / 2 plus fees doesn’t seem like an amazing living in LA.

I would bet anything Jah doesn’t take home a single penny from that. Dude is shopping for real-estate and leases a new top-of-line whip every few years. Pops has deep pockets.

Jeff might get some.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Ages ago a goon posted a link to a private podcast feed of UYD back eps. Is that still up?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Did Jah ever get his custom made guitar back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Think it was 843 when Seth talked about the Jimmy Dean meatless sausage/egg biscuits.

I had some last week. Mr. James Dean would indeed be rolling in his grave. :barf: