Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dan Didio posted:

It doesn't come up very often, but Jah's insistence on calling things like Game of Thrones 'epic fiction' is really, really funny to me for some reason.

I always figured it was being it's being either respectful or slightly mocking of Amir. His enthusiasm for sci-fi and fantasy has been mentioned a few times, and how much Seth hates it.

"I'm trying to explain science to this loving kid, and he's talking about fuckin'...gremlins and epic fantasy. Like, 'Oh, when Bumbledorf came over the hill with Bramblebeans, and he had the Googlebottoms and their feet were all hairy...' I AM TALKING ABOUT REGENERATIVE loving MEDICINE, rear end in a top hat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SullivanPRIME posted:

Foremost to attend college, 200 to goo a month, call Teeana Mackay

"I'm not going to give this number out."
"I did."

I like Seth's style. You put your number up on a flyer asking for a lesbiamis roommate, dammit, that's out in the world.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Somebody start a Kickstarter, if we get $81k we can get Sethro out of that plane.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

brainsforbrains posted:

In the middle of the afternoon no less. Hanging out the side door of a Chevy Cheyenne in a full-blown k hole. Seth must have been a goddamn riot to hang out with when he was on drugs.

Until he's having full-on Vietnam night terrors on your couch.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Only by a few hours. New episodes have been up Tuesday about lunchtime pretty consistently for a few months now.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

sockpuppetclock posted:

Wiki status: dope

I miss the long list of trivia that some stick-in-the-mud deleted long ago

quote:

• Jonathan claims to be a vegan but is often seen eating cheesy Dorito snacks and various fish.
  • Crackerjacks are the official snackfood of the podcast
  • Before moving to Los Angeles, Seth had a job as a mailman in his home state of Massachusetts. He was notorious for forgetting to pick up from particular mailboxes.
  • Seth has been romantically linked to Jennifer Aniston and Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I just read through all 4 of those suckers and none of them have a mention of the resurant thing. Your typings writing checks your body can't cash Depo

I also found no mention of the restaurant, but at least one of the interviews produced this gem:

quote:

And what comes out of [The HBO Sponsorship]?

Jah: About $400 each per month.

Sethro: We don’t discuss figures. What comes out of it? Can I tell you what comes out of it? Being associated with HBO. Which has more Emmy nominations in the last 10 years than any other loving network. That’s what comes out of it, Patrick.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AnnoyBot posted:

If you want You Look Nice Today to come back, you'll have to find a way to cripple Adam's filmmaking career. His unavailability is what basically stopped YLNT.

There was a new episode last week :eek:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Air Julio posted:

Amir borrowed my tenga and hosed up one of the nibs.

I seriously gotta stop listening to this show while I'm working.

I saved this week's episode to enjoy while donating blood. I got to the Tenga part during peak lightheadedness and was worried I'd start laughing way too hard for the blood drive staff.

"Uhh Yeah Dude: Nibs, gabs, joobs, bobs and libs. That's a crazy vag!"

Binowru posted:

That's so much worse than I could have even imagined.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The only real difference between a 2006 episode and a current one is which TV shows and celebs they're discussing. The freeform structure and easy back-and-forth was there from pretty much day one.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Carwash oval office posted:

As long as your hunting and tracking skills are superb, it is without a doubt worth starting from the beginning. That poem honestly made me cry.

I almost forgot just how much great stuff like JAH!nathan's Poetry are in the very early episodes. The Red Hot Chili Peppers "inspired" rap is one of my favorite bits in the show's entire history, primarily for Seth's reaction. Same for "Lunatic."

"Sorry I am giving you all this poo poo/But it just helps to write out whats going on in the mind of a lunatic."
"gently caress YOU, man! Gimmie that thing...oh my God, it really says that."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 3, 2012

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Half of Dracula posted:

They met when Seth was working at a video rental store, as I understand. In the late 90s?

Had to be post-2001, because the film that brought them together was Living Dolls: The Making of a Child Beauty Queen. Jonathan was in the store with a friend, he mentioned it to the clerk and Seth pulled his own copy out from behind the counter right then and there.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Does anyone remember what episode it was where Jah talked about rescuing a dog and a celebrity (keeping it a surprise for folks who haven't heard it) drives up and gives him a thumbs up and says hey GOOD JOB

Episode 151.

That story gives rise to a great Seth quote over a year later: "You're a junior Hulk, I'm a Marine, and we're training to be astronauts."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Power of Pecota posted:

I totally lose it whenever Seth goes off on current-day Cheech & Chong, and I think this is the best one I've heard. Mime it! Neeeeee-Eeerrrrrrr

"Mime the J" is such a great phrase.

"Y'know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get the best weed in LA, and I'm gonna roll it up, and I'm gonna see Tom, gonna go to Madeo and see him come out of a $200 dinner, be like 'Yo T-Dogg,' and slip him a J and so he DIES that night."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 25, 2012

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I grinned pretty hard the entire time Seth talked about taking Johnathan to all his old stomping grounds. I really want them to talk about that experience on both the live show and for shows afterwards, no way they can contain it all in one hour

They should make a full weekend of it and offer a UYD Haverhill walking tour. Take a bus out from Boston Saturday morning to visit the sleepy suburb where Seth's story began. See the apartment Marsha almost burned down with an errant boom nail, grab a slice at Papa Gino's, marvel at the convenience store where Seth used to play Galaga and swipe beers during the prime of his life.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Binowru posted:

I assume it is, but I don't think we ever got that picture they supposedly got with her, so who knows?

The real question is, what was the present that Seth got her for her birthday the next year when she was the oldest person alive? It gets a STRONG reaction from Jonathan, and then tells Seth not to reveal it and that he'll post a picture of it. To this day I can't imagine what it could have been.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sunman posted:

We went to the bar next door afterwards and about 20 minutes later Jonathan rolled in so we got to chill with him some more, it was pretty rad. And he apparently stole a bunch of coronas from The 'Dise, which I thought was strange.

They were probably just taking too long to take his order. Remember, Jonathan copped to shoplifting small things when inconvenienced.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Also, random, but I think I've settled on my 'what episode should I listen to first?' episode: 127. It contains a ton of the video'd youtube clips that people tend to recommend here (Denny's New Slogan, one of the best 'Who's Parenting Harder' bits ever, some awesome craigshouse (shout about this cock!)) plus a bunch of other awesome bits too. Check it.

I introduced two friends to the show with that episode, completely by accident. It was the random episode I had picked for a long drive, and by the Denny's segment they were dying laughing. I got a little nervous when they started the Craig's House segment, thinking the new listeners might find it extreme (I mean that's PRIME Craig's House period,) but that naturally that was the part that had them laughing the hardest.

And on top of that, Seth's best bit calling Jonathan out as a fake vegan! "'I'm Vegan. gently caress Doritos, I'd never eat a Dorito.' I've seen you eat Doritos! 'It's an exception, I always give myself an exception. One...or two.'"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

GobiasIndustries posted:

edit: also, because I clearly can't praise this episode enough: It's No Big Deal, You Need To Get Over It.

"You 'Saw God?' 'I saw GOD, Satan Woman.' You're askin' for it!"

CortezFantastic posted:

He wasn't calling Jah out, just someone he knew. Jah didn't stop being vegan for like two more years.

This was pre-Tuna (Tunee) eating. Seth calls Jonathan out on saying that he's a vegan but routinely eating cheese. "I've literally only eaten with this guy like three times in the last month, he's had cheese at all three meals."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

soru posted:

I don't listen to Jordan Jesse Go because I find Jesse to be a douchebag, but didn't they do the same thing to the Penny Arcade guys?

Quite. Apparently they spent almost an hour in Jesse's house before Jordan showed up, and found him to be incredibly off-putting (Which, coming from the PA guys, says something.) Their takeaway:

I've never listened to either the UYD or PA JJGo episodes, because I've heard nothing but bad things.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CortezFantastic posted:

Another missing week of an episode. Jah on another trip?

:confused: Episode 333 went up last Tuesday, with a record date of July 26th. They've been posting later in the week, but I don't think they've missed a week in a while.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mcvey posted:

Seth, I saw your car. It was a wonderful car. Blue body, brown roof. Correct? It is a car of sincerity. How to know your car.

"But the 'brown' is rust."
"Well...listen, it's a car of sincerity."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ScarletOHara posted:

Does anyone know offhand what the episode is where Seth keeps launching into rants about being in AA? I want to say it was somewhere in the 100's, but I can't find it in Weck's wiki.

125 has the story of being trapped in a "makeshift rape room" by a gay dude at his first late night meeting on Melrose, and his second AA meeting in Beverly Hills with Chuck Negron of 3 Dog Night making a big, lovely speech ("I got laid!...I used to have of threesomes," and I'm thinking, When is this story going to go sour?)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Crankit posted:

I just listened to episode 112 and Jonathan said his butthole got fingered as a kid, I'm pretty :stare: right now. Does he ever clear up what happened to the fingerman?

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope! It's mentioned again, but with no real resolution. The takeaway is, don't put your kid in a Sci-Ti preschool.

"Motivatah."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Loved Seth's breakdown regarding Beck's new sheet music album.

"I don't want to be involved in the process. I'm not a musician! You're the fuckin' professional! I'm a professional podcaster, I don't think of ideas we could say in a show, take it to Beck, and say, 'Interpret.' 'Jif is doing a contest - Interpret!'"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

C-Euro posted:

I believe the term is "boy-cunts" :eng101:

UYD: Boy-twats and Guy-cunts

The entire camera crew audibly cracking up when Jonathan asks the director "Can I call you Guy oval office from now on?" is one of my favorite moments in the entire series. "Oh, I've been working with this great director, his name is...Guy oval office."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

edit: oh my god this ep is so on point. Seth's mini-meltdown on the MySpace trucker hat, the guy who dug up a corpse, stole the head, and turned it into a bong... awesome.

I'm a big fan of the This Week in Florida story about the woman thrown through her sunroof in an auto accident.

"How much does she weigh?"
"600 pounds."
"HOLY loving poo poo! How do you get out of a sunroof, are we sure this wasn't, like, a convertible topless Paul Wall-style stripper car?"

I get the feeling that Jonathan was prompted to ask how much she weighed, but the reaction sounds like genuine surprise.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

well why not posted:

Imagine Seth trying to live in NYC.

48 hours after moving in, he'd be at Penn Station buying a one-way Amtrak ticket to Haverhill.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

All Else Failed posted:

They had a stint with HBO sponsoring them and even then, it was really not annoying at all. They have something that so many people lack in this age of ads and corporate sponsorship.

Integrity. You can tell they care about doing the show right.

It's never about the money, even when it comes to HBO (Also I'll take an excuse to repost this:)

Seth Romatelli posted:

We don’t discuss figures. What comes out of it? Can I tell you what comes out of it? Being associated with HBO. Which has more Emmy nominations in the last 10 years than any other loving network. That’s what comes out of it, Patrick.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

little munchkin posted:

I think they were just given a lot of creative license with how to do their promotion. Comedy Bang Bang was doing a bit at the same time called "Entourage Recap" which pretty much made fun of the show but based on the timing I suspect both were paid for by HBO.

I just started listening to CBB a month or so ago and heard my first episode with an Entourage Recap this week. So brilliant. [Entire theme song plays] "Turtle doesn't have enough tequila!" [OH YEAHHHHH, OH YEAHHHHH]

I believe the HBO thing was real - in the interview I quoted earlier, Jonathan said they get about $800 per month for doing sponsorship messages.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bango skank posted:

Anyone else notice the album art for 343 is a drawing of Seth and Jonathan laughing and slapping?

Yes, loved that. The Pier 1 bag is just icing on the cake.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

soru posted:

They've mentioned how they met before. Seth was working at a video rental store and Jonathan came in with his wife/gf and they were talking about how crazy that HBO documentary "Living Dolls" is. Seth pulled out a picture from a drawer that he kept on hand of the main girl in it because he's a crazy person.

via their wiki, it's mentioned in episode 10:

UYD Wiki posted:

Seth tells everyone to TiVo for April 22 at 4:35 a.m. on HBO to watch Living Dolls, the documentary upon which Jonathan and Seth first founded their relationship when Seth worked at Rocket Video in the early 2000s (Jah: “It was one of the first things you and I ever talked about as barely acquaintances at the video store before we really knew each other. You knew everything about it and we had just seen it and you of course had seen it 15 times already.”) Jah remembers that Seth had a cut-out of the main character, Swan, in a drawer. Seth thinks he had it on a t-shirt

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Juche Couture posted:

I think the first time I had to leave the room because I was laughing so hard was Jonathan's poem that ends "Sorry for giving you all this poo poo, but it just helps to write out what's up in the mind of a lunatic" and Seth's response of "gently caress you".

"Let me see...oh my God, it really says that."

Best reaction.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

C-Euro posted:

You can't just say stuff like that without mentioning which episode the clip is in.

The "Lunatic" poem is in episode 34, approximately 57 minutes in.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I loving love that segment, I am pretty sure it's my favorite.

Naptime, Jew.

Snacktime, Jew?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Helvete posted:

I'd never seen TCAP before but after the UYD segments I looked up a ton of them on youtube and felt like I was probably put on some kind of government watch list. The cat episode was so unbelievable that I told someone about it irl and they were like, "why the gently caress were you watching some kind of bestiality pede show? Are you cool?"

No. No I'm not.

I was having dinner at a Chinese restaurant a year or two ago, and both of the 40-odd inch TVs behind the bar were turned to a TCAP rerun on CNBC with the closed captioning on. I was starring at it, watching poo poo like "Blow your cat" scrolling up the screen, and none of the other diners seemed to notice. A UYD-listening friend was with me, and we were both having an intense "Are you people cool" moment as old ladies and families sat there with graphic sexual dialogue just constantly streaming across the room.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I definitely got the vibe that it was an audition tape he cut back in the day, but not an actual "This guy did this at a random casting call!" A practical demonstration of "This is how intense I can be."

Hopefully they'll discuss it on next week's show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ellaybee posted:

mommy

mommy

mommy

"CALL SECURITY, I'M A PUSSY"

I hope it's real just so we can point to it as an example - "No, for real, he was always fresh."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

nub posted:

You know, I think I really only have two great albums in me.

She just has the perfect eyes for this project...whatever, it's not important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RobTG posted:

Where the yatube video of Amir catching OJ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nguAYekFbZo

I shouldn't think that a bunch of wealthy teen shitheads rolling around LA chasing OJ with a portable TV is cool but here we are.