Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

I gave it a Guns tag what more do you want. "What are we going to do tonight Rider?" "Same thing we do every night Waver. Try to take over the world!" was too long for the field.

HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE

that is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Lamquin posted:

I remember watching Fate/Stay night when it was airing in 2006, but other than that I'm clueless about the whole series!

I can't recall much at all about F/sn since it was 5 years ago. Should I rewatch it to understand this "prequel", or will I be fine with at best a vague understanding of the whole thing?

Fate/Zero was written with the intent of being standalone, so you should be fine. Besides, the F/SN anime will do jack squat to prepare you for this, since that is only an adaptation of the first third of the actual plot, and F/Z draws heavily from the last third.

But if you were going to read the VN at any point you might want to do that now, since F/Z will spoil significant plot points without mercy.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
Whoops, Gen Urobuchi is NOT the series composer, only supervisor.

InsaneZero fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 26, 2011

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Ahaha, they sure censored the hell out of that scene.

There was a ufotable event earlier that had the production team saying that they're going to censor Caster's antics for the next few episodes in the TV broadcast.

Enjoy those blu-rays!

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Really though, I'm kind of just wondering whether Kotomine really tried to kill Irisviel, and Avalon kept her alive until Saber came, or if he just shanked her and left.

Kotomine just shanked her and left. He did it mostly to keep any pursuers distracted.

Anyhow, Avalon did nothing for Shirou until after Saber was summoned. After all, it's last use was 10 years ago, and it used up all of the mana then.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

I am almost certain that it's just a vocal recording over a playthrough of the Ilya's Castle mini-game from Fate/HA.

I'm entirely certain that it's just as you described it. Absolutely everything in that episode was from that mini-game.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
Ionioi Hetairoi was goddamn boss.

Also, am I the only one that noticed that Tokiomi makes no appearance in this episode despite having a line in the episode preview? Probably a scene that'll be added back in for the Blu-rays.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-6151.html

The full version of episode 11 will air January 2nd.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Oh look, they fixed the faces already. :allears:

Now the wait begins for the subs.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, Gilgamesh. :allears:

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
So apparently, the blu-rays are out. With it comes a translated booklet containing several interviews with various members of the ufotable staff regarding the many aspects of the Fate/Zero adaptation.

If you've got a wallet to burn (or just google the scans), I recommend that you guys read it, because it's a really fascinating read. It also contains story details about the second season (not explicit enough to spoil anything, but enough info for LN readers to figure out what's being referred to).

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17415605

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17419135

MORE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

^^That reminds me of how much better Berserker would have looked if he wasn't CGI.

Was there any concrete reason why they did that? Was it some sort of budget thing?

According to the staff interview from the Fate/Zero blu-ray box, it was because Berserker has a black haze effect surrounding him that did not mesh well with traditional animation at all. So what the staff ended up doing was first animating Berserker normally, then applying the CG on top of the animation, then applying the haze effect.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Personally I think trying to convey "indistinct and otherworldly" with CGI and a black DBZ aura is a bad stylistic choice, but that's just me.

Actually, the actual reason for the black haze is to depict that there's something surrounding Berserker that's hiding its identity, but it was rather difficult to depict that with traditional animation since there's no sense of depth. It would simply look pasted over instead.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

The speech about how Tokiomi treats the lesser daughter like poo poo would fuel any suspicions that he knew (whether or not he really did).

If Tokiomi really knew what Zouken was doing, he'd be furious, both as a father and as a mage.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
So, I've been looking up on who in ufotable has been doing what for Fate/Zero, and I've noticed that while Fate/Zero does look great, several of their more notable animators have been conspicuously absent thus far. People like Tetsuya Takeuchi (Yuri Seijin Naoko-san) and Takayuki Hirao (Kara no Kyoukai: Paradox Spiral, Gyo) have minimal to almost nonexistent presence in this anime up to this point.

Judging from the interview included in the blu-rays and several observations made from other forums, it seems the primary focus of Fate/Zero in terms of visuals is not based upon traditional animation, but rather the usage of digital photography and CGI. Specially, the usage of the latter to simulate a virtual camera, which would be used similarly to live-action cinematography. You can see examples of this plastered all over the second OP, with the camera pans and zooms near the beginning, the lighting in the shots of Fuyuki, and the shot behind the motocycle near the end.

This isn't anything necessarily important to most people, but I thought it was interesting when somebody pointed that out to me.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

DerLeo posted:

I can't say I know much about traditional animation: they're basically acting as if they're a film crew with a camera, instead of just doing whatever, right?

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist. The backgrounds and props were probably 3D environments originally, to achieve this effect.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Thing is, this is supposed to result in the "Broken Phantasm" effect

Broken Phantasm only occurs when a NP is overloaded with mana.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Most likely, to the novel readers so how long is this flashback going to be and how heartwarming is it going to be?

Bambi-levels.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

You're entitled to your opinion and everything, but I don't get why people keep saying these flashback episodes are here to clumsily and far-to-lately illicit this "missing" sympathy for our hero. I keep seeing people say that all over the internet and I think its bullshit. This is not loving Naruto we're talking about here.

This flashback (in the novels at least) happened right after Saber calls Kiritsugu out for being a douche and wondering what happened to him in his past to make him what he is. Its the answer to her statement.

You can say that its there to blatantly and ham-fistedly tell the audience what to think and how to feel about this character, but I think that's short-changing the author. There is more going on than I SUFFERED SUCH A TRAGIC EVENT AND MY FATHER WAS EVIL, A BLOO BLOO. These flashbacks are here to encourage you to form your own conclusions about Kiritsugu, his methods, and his ideals. Not to spoonfeed you from the Instant Sad Jar.

Actually, I find that these flashbacks are more important for other narrative reasons that I can't explain right now due to spoilers. I do agree that these episodes aren't intended to make Kiritsugu suddenly sympathetic, since if they had intended to do that with these flashbacks they would've been placed before episode 16.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

The real tragedy at the end of the episode isn't Kiritsugu's killing of his father, it's his decision that he did something wrong. But this is not presented or touched upon, and I have extreme doubts that this will happen or that Kiritsugu will be called out on it.

This is a story by Urobuchi. You should know better than to think this by now.

EDIT: And if I remember correctly, he does get called out on it the minute after.

InsaneZero fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 9, 2012

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
This episode just screams "BUY THE BLU-RAY". There's just a lot of obvious editing done, especially in the first half of the episode.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
https://twitter.com/hikaruufo/status/214021914283352064

Like I thought, the full episode complete with OP will come in the blu-ray version.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Sylvyfish posted:

Also, maybe it's just me but I like it when they cut the OP out of certain episodes. I feel it makes them seem more important. I know it was cut kind of poorly in this one, but as a general rule I like it.

The OP was only cut due to time constraints, really. The full version should retain the OP.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Gutsy posted:

"Ideals are bad, period" doesn't fit with Fate/stay night's themes, though.

Then again, Urobuchi is incapable of writing anything that's not filled with despair.

Fate/stay night doesn't completely say that ideals are bad, but it does make a point that letting an ideal dictate your life is severely unhealthy.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
The source of this was from the Fate/Zero finale screening and QA session. The final question of that session was whether or not ufotable would work on Heaven's Feel.

Atsuhiro Iwakami (Aniplex) said that it is all up to Type-Moon.
Then Hikaru Kondo (ufotable) went into a long explanation of how we won't be seeing anything for a while.
At the end of that explanation, Rikiya Koyama (Kiritsugu) came up to the mic and literally said "SOON". In English.

Personally, from how it was described in the QA session, HF is possibly in deliberation but we won't be seeing it until 2014 or so.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Good_Haro posted:

To me the whole answer sounded like a dodge (a lot of "we have to talk to type-moon....if it does happen it won't be for a very long time..." and so on). I seriously doubt they have any plans for it in the works yet. I think Koyama was just loving around, he got pretty silly by the end of the panel.

That was a troll move, but Koyama was glorious at the session in general.

btw: I was the guy that asked about the ufotable staff. It was on the behalf of someone on NeoGAF.

InsaneZero fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 30, 2012

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Good_Haro posted:

Ah, cool. That was probably one of the only decent questions too.

This reminded me of that Shirou question.

gently caress that Shirou question.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
I'm still waiting for somebody to attempt selling the Realta Nua PC games on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
Whatever they do, I'm pretty sure it'll air Jan 2014 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the original Fate/Stay Night release.

This also means it's highly likely this is actually an actual Fate/stay night production, and not based on any of its spinoffs.

• Locked thread