Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Only the one so far.

https://twitter.com/chitoryu12/status/1234695227094511622?s=19

Feel free to tweet about keeping it safe from the Brotherhood of Steel or using it to eliminate Casaer's Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

moot the hopple posted:

Barton's problem is I just punched the heads clean off an entire den of geckos. What makes him think his head is connected so soundly?

He assumes that the geckos had softened you up a bit, not given you enough XP to level up and get even more skill points into "punch heads clean off".

I guess Barton is a few steps below the stormcloak in Skyrim who gets their head chopped off at the beginning in the "poor, doomed bastard" rankings.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Minor quibble, but NCR money isn't backed by water, bottle caps are by the Hub water traders (Which is why they have a fixed value). NCR paper money is a fiat currency, and inflation is the reason its lost so much value.

Yeah - I don't think that irradiating the gold reserves would make much change to the value of the gold. You can't move the stuff, sure, but it's still there. I think this is how it actually works in the real world.

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1252619974113472513?s=19

Be sure you help sort out the water problems for the farmers, gotta keep that corn!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The GOG version already has the 4gb patch applied, I think, so you don't need to apply that if you're playing the GOG version.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Elderbean posted:

Guys this game is really good. I was at the "I should really go back and beat it but I'm too lazy to install mods" phase but Viva New Vegas was easy and fast enough.

Seconding this. Currently running through it with the JSawyer mod.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Raygereio posted:

Hopefully the implementation is less bonkers then that XRE car mod that used it's own scripted physics engine based on explosions.

I'm no engineer, but surely the internal combustion engine is a car/train mod based on *small* explosions...

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The amount of times your character has/can have brain surgery by not-entirely-competent doctors, (a village doctor, anarchist scientist, the worst of the Old World super-scientists) your character having a spotty memory makes sense. It's a shame that you can't tell ol' the Bear and the Bull that you have no idea what he's talking about, probably because you've had people stick their hands in your brain-pan a half-dozen times in the last three weeks, with varying levels of consent.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Utgardaloki posted:

Caeser isn't actually prone to enslaving people that just happen to be nearby, that's pretty much fanfiction. The Legion focuses on militant / tribal groups that are far enough away from however Caeser defines 'civilized' to be easily brainwashed / assimilated. People with a lot of worldly experience or education make for lovely slaves, they stir dissent and other poo poo.

s: sawyer at some point, this topic is ten years old shut up

Eddie Sallow is so poo poo at his Pax Romana Fan Fiction that he can't even control the wide-spread practice of slavery, including a couple hundred metres outside his tent. He's going to die from a well deserved brain tumour, and the guy who's set to take over was second fiddle to the last guy who failed to take over Hoover Dam, but at least the last guy managed to find some sort of reason/sense after he was set on fire and dropped several stories down a ravine.

Caesar's Legion only has a chance if the Courier fixes everything wrong about them, like a dotting mother cleaning up after her children, or otherwise steps up to the plate to carry the slack of all the romailures.

Anyway, I want to thank Ropekid for still coming into this thread and these forums to answer our questions after all these years. Clearly the Mailman Dictatorship ending is the best, with No-Bark holding the fort while the Courier is off getting casador stingers surgically removed from their person.

Edit: and thanks to everyone involved in the game for creating a faction that we love to hate.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 12, 2021

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Victor and Holme Versus Barton Thorn and Oliver Swanwick.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

UED Special Ops posted:

Heck, only Goodsprings for some bizarre reason comes under NCR control no matter what you do, which has always struck me as kind of weird considering the massive sway the Courier would have and how little the NCR actually would benefit from such a tiny town. :shrug:

Lazy Pete is to powerful to be left unchecked!

Fallout does has something of a history of things not turning out how you would like it to - it think it's the first game where you've got to leave the crime lords of a city well alone for the city to prosper, otherwise helping the sheriff let's the place lose any means of income and it collapses eventually.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

StandardVC10 posted:

No, I've definitely had the problem Halser is describing on PC too.

Playing NV with the JSawyer mod for the first time, in Old World Blues I was constantly knocking hunting rifles, shotguns and super sledges out of Lobotomites' hands when I wasn't using VATS. Not so much of a problem elsewhere, that I've noticed. Maybe it's just the animation of how those particular weapons are held by NPCs that has caused it - most enemies in the Mojave are either creatures that don't wield weapons, raiders that tend to use weapons that fire from the hip or using close combat weapons, or I've been able to shoot with a silenced varmint/sniper rifle while hidden.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The King doesn't really know what he's doing with The Kings. "Wouldn't it be great if we were all just chill, self-confident but respectful of others' boundries? Maybe we could make a religion political group out of this!"

But every man (and woman) is to be his (or her) own king (or queen) so if someone is waltzing around deciding that they're the king of Kings, well, a King is not going to take kindly to that. It's not surprising they'd fight to the last man.

Westside/Followers are more of the anarchist utopia that a bunch of people want out of New Vegas but the game doesn't go into them all that much. They get kicked around by the bigger groups and there's no way for the Courier to directly and outright secure them a place in the Mojave.

Whenever I'm in Westside, I keep hearing Meansonovabitch say "I'm glad that Meansonovabitch is on our side" in his gruff voice.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Once again, there is only 1 Vending Machine from Dead Money outside of the Sierra Madre. The others are at the Sierra Madre and you cannot find your way back, with the cloud constantly moving around obfuscating things.

There's 1 for the entire Mojave.

They were made by the scientists at Big MT. You've got five of 'em - six, maybe - to get back to work on that, unless you just slaughter them all as so to get back to the Mojave.

Admittedly, this is making out the Courier to be Elijah, but less of a jackass. Building a nation out of these choice cuts of the Old World.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

UED Special Ops posted:

Ahh yes, the NCR having a single lovely president after an incredibly competent one in Tandy and a few mediocre ones in the middle that don't get much mention equals the NCR 100% going down the exact same path as the old world US. Guess we better watch out for the NCR going after those Chinese solider ghouls in that one random factory in DC next cause they are going to get on that hate train for commies any day now...

Seriously, are people really saying that the NCR is going to turn into the old world USA? Oh no, the NCR has a patch shittyness thanks to a huge variety of factors both side and out. The game itself shows that with notable but still doable effort one can turn around a huge amount of things with the NCR, but nope, NCR is worse then the Fiends I guess. Oh well.. :rolleyes:

• Tandi's Dad - The first President of the NCR.
  • Tandi - Very capable, everyone likes. Arguably used underhanded methods in expanding the NCR regarding Vault City, etc. Presidency lasted 52 years, cut short by her death.
  • Joanna Tibbett - Vice-Prez to Tandi, serves the final 3 years of Tandi's latest and last term, is voted out half way though her legitimate first term when a number of NCR citizens are murdered by raiders from the Mojave.
  • Wendell Peterson - Voted in to deal with the raiders. Also starts eroding powers that held the "Brahmin Barons" in check. Voted out two months into his fifth term, succeeded by...
  • Aaron Kimball - Veteran of the wars started due to the aforementioned raider attacks. Popular due to the power and water coming from the Hoover Dam. Unpopular due to the wars to hold on to the Dam. Also eroding laws put in place by Tandi, so has support from the Brahmin Barons, who seem to be the hidden Bad Guy that the Player/Courier has no ability to effect in any meaningful way.

So, they've had a so-so President followed by a great President, then a so-so, a guy who sucks and then a guy who sucks hard. It's a shame that the ending slides don't focus on how just, you know, letting Kimball suck up a JFK Special effects the Republic. Who takes over? Is the guy/gal who follows suck less, or more, or about the same? The move to expand East has been happening for about 20+ years at this point, due to public outrage over raider attacks. A House Win - and not outing Chief Hanlon - may well be the only thing that holds the NCR back. It's a shame that there's no way for the Courier to take their own kind of problem solving out west to deal with the Barons.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

MariusLecter posted:

Getting Harlan out alive and the Nightkin to leave is a bit tricky when Harlan just runs up through the hallway where one of the nightkin patrols.

I've never had that problem, but I've always done a run will some amount of stealth and have picked up a couple of stealth boys by that time to get by the 'kin and see that Harlan's dame had died.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Chamale posted:

I made a video about where you can find great melee, guns, and energy weapons while still at level one. Who needs to go searching the remote parts of the Mojave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2sAWvbbcZ4

Might as well just steal That Gun, especially with the JSawyer mod that makes the varmint rifle also take 5-point-whatever ammo. Slap the mods for the Varmint on, you've got yourself decent early, and mid, game weapons for medium and long range.

I don't know how killing Lonesome Drifter effects the quest for getting acts for the Tops, and it seems a bit mean, too. I guess stealing That Gun is mean, but, eh, I'm already screwing over a bunch of people in Novac so~

Although, I play with the Viva New Vegas suggested mods, so That Gun is a lot cheaper under that.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Arcsquad12 posted:

If companions were modded to have the Hand Loader perk would they recover shells?

I'd doubt it as the Player recovers shells without the perk - they just recover more if they have the perk. I don't see why NPCs would start recovering shells if they're given the perk.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Eraflure posted:

Now let me tell you about those hundreds of weapons I sold to Old Lady Gibson

Fallout New Vegas 2 - Gunrunners hire the protagonist to assassinate Old Lady Gibson and her Mann Co.-like business of selling multiple sawn off shotguns wonder-glued together that's undercutting them, somehow.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

2house2fly posted:

JSawyer "Ultimate Edition" is an "improved" version of the jsawyer mod some guy made. Possibly better to use, since I think the original jsawyer was last updated in 2012, but it's still got someone else's name on it

Someone needs to come up for a name for this type of mod, like how people's various homebrews of D&D 3.5 were called "fantasy heartbreakers".

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

In one of the Let's Play for New Vegas someone chimed in that they won a competition to have their name in the game - Oliver Swanwick, the lottery winner, is a goon. This may make you less or more likely to kill the Powder Ganger named after them.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Caidin posted:

Why did Marcus' have an irrigation system built into his armor anyway?

Maybe it's bodged-together power armour and he has a liquid cooling system going on?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

MariusLecter posted:

Veronica says how she has a duty to also despite being gay and all. Kinda cringe, did Avellone write that?

It seems to make sense that the Brotherhood would prefer that their women have kids, but this could also be Veronica's interpretation of why forces saw fit to separate her and Christine - unknowing that it was actually Elijah interested in her use as a protege to him rather than higher-ups trying to ensure that all their women are baby-factories.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The biggest problem with House is that he requires a somewhat functional NCR to, effectively, fund his plans. If you're able to ensure that NCR is somewhat functional - i.e. not a waterless, farmless desert, ground to dust under the unreasonable demands of the Brahmin Barons, etc - then why not just go all out NCR?

You can show House your golf swing and still get NCR support, you can't give Crocker an early retirement and still keep House's plan running. House is a poor Independent ending, if you can take Old World Blues' Good Karma ending as a possible/reasonable canon. No need for Cyborg Hughes-Musk when Cyborg Postman/woman will do.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Raygereio posted:

And in the endings where the Mojave chapter survive, they end up basically being lovely raiders who shake down travelling people for any loose tech they might have in their pockets. So House isn't wrong about that.

:ffg: "A combination catheter/jerk-off machine is too dangerous for none-Brotherhood hands!"

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I don't think so. The Chairmen were going to be called the Geckos or something before it became "The Chairmen", so people headcanon that being his surname. Another common choice is Siegel, based on the surname of Benjamin Siegel, one of the early hotshots in Las Vegas history.

Personally, I prefer Benny Bing. :shrug:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Campaign 2281

Daniel [no surname]: "Let's talk fleeing Zion."

Joshua Graham: "Kill the bastards."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ZrU6qnhlg

The Sorrows don't deserve to lose Zion so I just spread the Good News of High Velocity Brain Trauma among the White Legs. It did the Courier a world of good, maybe it'll do the same for the losers who aspire to be Roman cosplayers?

Edit: You 'white saviour' either way because it's you who have to haul rear end to get together the bits and pieces needed for getting the tribes out of Zion safely. If you don't gather the compass and food and whatnot for them, it's awful for them on their journey to the Staircase or wherever the place is they flee to/through. If the Courier doesn't 'White Saviour' the day, Daniel fucks up the evacuation. Then the Sorrows need to rely on the more militant Mormons to 'protect' them in the harsh reality of the Wasteland.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 25, 2022

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Lt. Danger posted:

however, the Sorrows and Dead Horses sleep in caves and under makeshift shelters. are they entirely incapable of even rudimentary construction? why?

I thought the area that the Sorrows and Dead Horses were in was an area they had fled to after a series of attacks. Daniel already has a bunch of the 'tribals' and New Cannanites out of the area, this was to be the last of the evacuations. Daniel has the map and all already written out and stuff, and the Sorrows probably usually live further away from all the caves that they forbid themselves to enter. Graham wants to launch a last-chance, decapitating assault against Salt-In-Wounds and the White Legs.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

2house2fly posted:

It's fun finding little ways around Dead Money's bullshit. Like taking the Rad Child perk and getting max radiation poisoning before entering the DLC area, giving you huge amounts of free healing letting you walk casually through poison clouds. Or taking Fortune Finder and drowning in casino chips, and Them's Good Eating and getting free healing items from the ghost people. You can build yourself to trivialise the whole thing when you know what's coming, which makes the second playthrough of it much more enjoyable

Playing Dead Money with a Dean Domino build does seem it would trivialise a bunch of the bullshit.

Discendo Vox posted:

I know jsawyer said it was deliberately left open, but there is no way in my mind that the thing occupying the Rangers before they're recalled to fighting Caesar is anything other than pursuing the Enclave.

Or they retroactively add another Big Bad that the NCR's been dealing with for the past 80-ish years since we last saw them. Could be Enclave, could be BoS, could be another raider-ish nationstate they've been dealing with in an underhanded manner, they could take the Van Buren idea of a pre-war Scientist secretly doing bullshit with the Blue Flu and have the rangers be trying to deal with that, etc.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The wiki says 'Nerve' is a +5% to Companion damage and armour per point of Charisma, up to +50% at 10 Charisma. I think in base game this doesn't work at all. Some mods may alter it to do more, from the looks of it.

Edit: Misread your post, but the wiki I'm looking at still considered it bugged and not working, so ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 9, 2022

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I'm fairly sure I usually come across c4 and a detonator out in the wastes before I come around to doing Vault 22 but never remember to pack it before it's too late. But, yeah, the data room should be safe.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Vavrek posted:

And I forgot my brain. I didn't even notice until the ending slides for OWB mentioned it. Felt kind of bad leaving my brain behind, all alone. Wasn't what I'd meant to do at all.

Sounds exactly like something a person without a brain would do. I assume 'he' didn't take it personally.

My first run in the game accidently became a Yes Man run because I didn't realise that hacking into that one computer to the left of House's big screen would piss him off so much. Aforehand I had been unlocking and hacking pretty much anything I came across, as long as it didn't say "detected" at the top of the screen there was never any bad consequences. With the securitrons now firing at me, I panicked, ran to the elevator and saw House in his chamber. Getting him out and trying to apologise didn't work. I shrugged my shoulders and killed him.

My first Postman just bumbled through the Mojave, changing it forever entirely by accident.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

It's been a while but I remember Mr house being an alien

Mr House shortly before being beaten to death with a golf club, 2281, colourised.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The worst thing about Fallout 4 (OK maybe not the worst, but hear me out) is that the single most annoying character for regular lootin' and shootin' play, Strong the super mutant, may be putting forward the idea of the Master's Unity project but doesn't have the vocabulary for it and so comes off even more annoying than he normally is complaining about you daring to interact with the game's Minecraft aspects.

I think Marcus has voiced his original support for the project, mentioning that a Human friend would have 'made a good mutant'.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Honest Hearts' problem is mostly that there are no good reasons to back Daniel's "plan".

The conversations between many of the characters even reinforce that Daniel's plan is dumb: the NCR and Caesar's Legion are "tribes" just as the New Canaanite affiliated ones and the White Legs. Would it make any sense for the NCR to flee forever from the encroaching Legion?

So, yeah, chalk me up for worst:average:best as HH:LR-DM:OWB. But they're all heads and shoulders above the FO:3 DLCs.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The White Legs have hosed Around, and WILL Find Out but it's up to you that it happens at the hands of you and Joshua or the 80's. As a wise man once said, "there's always a bigger fish" and the White Legs ain't it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Chamale posted:

Incidentally, I've been wondering what are the most instances of the word "gently caress" you could hear in a single playthrough, because some of the "fucks" are mutually exclusive. These are the kind of thoughts I have after 400 hours playing this game over and over.

Apparently Mr New Vegas, quoting Big Sal, uses 'gently caress' and its derivatives twice, and the King only once, rejecting a NCR offer.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Janissary Hop posted:

I just find parts of her character to be stupid. Lady, I passed like a 100 dresses on the floor and in various containers on the way here. What kind of scavenger are you?

She wants a fancy dress. Those 100 dresses you've passed? Patched-up, dusty, worn-out hand-me-downs. She wants the good stuff. The artisanal gown from the most exclusive eatery in the wasteland, a preserved pre-war dress found in one of the most deadly ruins of the Mojave,

the gamblers suit you get from winning a bunch at the second(?) suckiest casino in New Vegas.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Alhazred posted:

Makes you wonder how rogue the paladins at the Follower's Outpost really were, hm?

Veronica seems to think they were pretty rogue. If they attack you earlier outside the Bunker she thinks their deaths will be dismissed just as the Wasteland being dangerous. They've lost other bands of power-armoured Paladins before, nothing too strange about it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

RBA Starblade posted:

Can't withdraw if you never stop using

Colonel Moore prepares for her report to Congress about the loss of the Dam, adding a 'positive' note that a deranged package courier has hoovered up all known chems in the region and local drug dealers are having difficulty keeping up with the demand, thus reducing drug trafficking into NCR territory to effectively nil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Chamale posted:

It bugs me that there's no way to report him for that murder, even though the NCR's supposed to have laws. Of course, I usually don't do that quest because he takes five minutes to walk over to Keith on his way to arrest him.

It's probably marshal law in that area. The guy can get away with shooting a drug dealer who's being aggressive.