Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Glitterbomber posted:

For the favorite stuff, I'm a whore for Sedaris, I own all his books and adore any story he has to tell, so basically any episode he's in becomes my favorite. Also I remember very distinctly there was one This American Life about a mall santa union and some insane drama there? That was pretty loving excellent all around.

This episode was #371, Scenes From a Mall. The other stories are okay, but the mall Santa thing is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Stop responding to Irish Joe, he's just trolling about trolling.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Knifegrab posted:

You do realize these issues are not mutually exclusive? Its ok to acknowledge that someone is going out of their way to victimize themselves while still acknowledging that the things people do to these victims is unconscionable.

Both issues come from one source. Weird, right?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Invisible Ted posted:

Did anyone else think the Not Ok Cupid segment was intolerable in the latest episode? I got about two sentences in and had to skip ahead.

When that episode was first broadcast, I didn't understand what its point was, or why it existed. A year later, I still don't have a clue. It just exists, it's not really funny or poignant, it's a weak idea that isn't developed at all.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

outlier posted:

Was that "Game Face" episode really weak? A group of tourists get stuck on a glacier overnight and have a lovely time. A comedian has a few mediocre shows. It's like they collected all the B-side stories that wouldn't fit anywhere else and shoved them together.

The segment about the hockey player was pretty good, and I like it whenever This American Life plays Tig Nitaro.

I honestly think this week's episode is kinda weak, especially 21 Chump Street, which is my least favorite segment ever.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The second act this week is giving me serious flashbacks to the store that was an ATF front.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Anyone happen to know what Depeche Mode song is playing in the last video clip of act four?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I'm talking about the one she's playing in the home movie clip, not the bumper. It's too slow to be New Life.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

axolotl farmer posted:

Behind the Wheel from Music for the Masses

Thank you!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If you're not familiar with or don't care about Frank Sinatra, you might want to skip this week's episode. It's an update of an episode that originally ran in 1997, and it's all about Sinatra, and as someone who doesn't care much about Sinatra, I thought it was dull as poo poo.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I appreciate Ira Glass' radio voice, because he's the only person in world history who looks exactly like his voice sounds.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Banned posted:

I know this week's is a repeat but I just have to vent that the Christian girl in the robot baby segment has the most infuriating voice I've ever heard.

The best part is when she gets a below-average grade, it's so cathartic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sivart13 posted:

Great true-crimey heartstring-pulley kinda episode this week.

It's just shocking how Peggy at the end is still willing to blame the victim, catches herself knowing it sounds bad, but goes through saying it anyway and allowing it to be put on the radio.

Yeah, that was loving infuriating. How dare she not act like how I thought she would, she has to accept responsibility for that.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

VagueRant posted:

The part where she talked about different ethnicities noticing her as she lost weight was legit hilarious though.

I find it incredible that in the middle of an episode about how society judges and dehumanizes certain segments of the population based on physical appearance, and how these effects are amplified if you're part of different minority, they throw in some racist-rear end jokes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Thanks to this week's episode for reminding me that listening to audio of an improv show is just about the worst genre of This American Life segments.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Yeah, I would have preferred just leaving the stories as cute anecdotes, rather than comedians improvising the jokes that were already in the stories. And there was so much of it, goddamn.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

peter banana posted:

ugh, all those parents on this week's ep insisting that their school not be integrated "because it's a safety issue, don't you dare call me a racist!" sound real awkward and super racist in this context. I mean, maybe you had to be there but boy as that rough.

I grew up in St. Louis and the surrounding counties, rest assured that even if you were there, it would have still felt like dogwhistle super racism. Most of St. Charles county, where the Francis Howell school district is, is made of white people who are scared of black people.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Lol at the fake-rear end story of a Somali kid slamming the woman's (blue-eyed blonde-haired!!) daughter into a wall.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I like how they try to humanize unlikeable ghouls like Ryan and Preibus, and how they try to elicit sympathy for monsters because they got out-monstered.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

bad day posted:

I know they are playing to a generational audience and eventually the Chapo Trap House guys will be running All Things Considered, but it's just kind of silly how they instill neoliberal value signaling into every last millisecond of airtime.

Hey man, didn't know you had an account, how's K3 Lumber doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Oh hell yeah, the re-run about how overweight people deserve respect that features a racist joke.

• Locked thread