Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hi whiskey thread. I'm finally getting back into keeping whisk(e)y around at home again. Picked up a bottle of Willett Pot Still Reserve for super cheap at Total Wine and it's an interesting bourbon. Almost viscous?

If nothing else, it makes killer ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is Eagle Rare stupid hard to find everywhere? It's one of my fav bourbons, but I haven't been able to find a bottle in like a year.

Edit: Is there anything similar in the same price range that will scratch the itch?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 13, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It was always in the $25-30 range when I could find it in WI

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

On the off chance that anyone lives in or knows the area, any good liquor stores in Lincoln/Omaha/Des Moines? Gonna be out that way next week, and wouldn't mind making a pit stop or two for decent bottles.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm looking for a nice celebration bourbon and I really don't wanna play the allocated bottle game. Anything especially interesting in the $75-$100 range I should be able to find without too much searching?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If you're looking right now you may stumble upon High West Midwinter Night's Dram @$90-100

The sweet spot for available stuff is around $60-65 - Old Forester 1920, Four Roses Small Batch Select, Knob Creek 12 and SiB picks, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, JD Barrel Proof

Depending on where to live, these may also be on shelves and worth around the same price: ECBP and Toasted, Larceny BP, Makers Limited 2019 or 2020, Makers 46 Cask Strength

Above that price but still sub $100 these are probably findable depending on where you are:
Booker's (any batch), Little Book, Knob Creek 15, Old Forester Barrel Proof Store Picks, Makers Private Select Store Picks

Oh good call on the Midwinter Night's Dram, I need to keep my eye out for it. Whenever I look into Booker's, my eyes go crosseyed, figuring out which batch was named what. I should grab a bottle though, I've always liked it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:psyduck: is plain ole buffalo trace suddenly in super high demand? A couple groups I'm in have a flurry of posts about it being in stock w/ a few bottles left at various liquor stores.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That's bonkers. I've never not seen it very well stocked in Madison. I had no idea it was a hard to get bottle.

Edit: I know it's just me yelling at clouds but goddamn the bourbon market is straight up dumb these days. I wish I appreciated it more when I was in college and a lot of the stupid expensive bottles were still readily available at MSRP.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 21, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

All the better to nose gently caress that old rear end barley juice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol there's so much booze just pour in a a cup of korbel or whatever bottom shelf brandy you can find, you're not gonna taste the difference with the insane amount of eggs and cream and spices added

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It feels like bourbon prices are going crazy lately cuz everyone is stocking up to be the lord of whiskeytown after covidpocalypse. The couple bourbon groups I'm in are full of posts showing off huge hauls with multiple of each bottle type.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

And are you just trying to be coy about your huge supply of clorox wipes, Mr. McDuck?

fuckin this, man. It's the only thing that I still can't reliably find around here.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I never heard of an infinity bottle before. It sounds kinda fun, the dregs of a bottle always end up being a weird amount anyway.

I never was a huge fan of sweeter bourbons until just recently. I just cracked a bottle of 1792 Small Batch that was gifted to me, and it's pretty delicious.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Weller used to be my go to bottle in college to mix with coke cuz it was cheap and inoffensive as gently caress

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Odd Mutant posted:

Maybe you'd want the BiB if you can't get the 1920. Which I can't these days. Here in west Wisconsin the 1920 and 1910 are now highly allocated, and you'll be lucky to see it on shelves more than two or three times a year. (If you folks think otherwise please tell me where you're seeing it.) The 1910 loving costs $95 in Chippewa Falls, what the poo poo.

So weird how bourbon availability is so different even within states. Old Forester 1910 and 1920 is p reliably in stock for MSRP here in Madison.

Just got gifted a bottle of George Remus. Not bad, I'm not sure I would buy a bottle, but I'm enjoying every glass I've had so far.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love the combo of good whiskey with a lovely beer like high life or something

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Carillon posted:

Has anyone had the Olde St. Nick Rye? My local costco just got some in for ~150 bucks, didn't write down the exact expression, but I hadn't seen a rye that expensive before. I'm sure it's good, but curious if it's worth picking up.

Meh. I haven't had any of the super old bottles, but the pours I've had were definitely not worth the price of admission.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Would any other industry tolerate this level of shenanigans? :mad:

Yeah probably

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Can I just say that I loving hate all the abbreviations and acronyms and poo poo surrounding bourbon :argh:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

In regards to scotch I usually kept a bottle of Glenlivet 12 around, and I just finished a bottle of Royal Brackla 12 that I really liked. Any suggestions on where to go from there? I'm also open to trying different styles, as long as it's not a super huge peat bomb. I'm trying to stay in the $50-60 range if possible.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any opinions on George Remus Repeal Reserve? Store has it for $75 and it looks like that's under MSRP. I do like the normal bottle of George Remus quite a lot.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, bottle was gone by the time I got back in, but they might have more coming in a couple weeks.

Is there a certain way you're supposed to smell whiskey? I've done the whole swirl in a snifter or glencairn and stick my nose all up in there and I can never detect much more than ethanol.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Step one is fling the contents of the glass onto the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlbh9ZvMJ8s

:lol: I remember him from a Scotch documentary on Hulu and goddamn the size of that nose

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scored a bottle of the George Remus Repeal Reserve Series IV at another place for only $65 :homebrew:

This is the first actual ~~~fancy~~~ bourbon I've bought and goddamn is this good. I thought the regular George Remus was a pretty good bottle, but this is fantastic. At MSRP this would have been worth it for sure, for $65? I kinda wanna go back and buy the rest of the shelf.

quote:

Hitting shelves during National Bourbon Month in September, the 2020 limited edition of Remus Repeal Reserve features layers of rich caramel, candied fruit, spice, and toasted oak. The finish offers baking spices and oak, as the rye lingers slightly longer.

I think this is the first bourbon I can actually taste and smell everything from the distillery notes.

Edit: I think this is the easiest sipping 100 proof bourbon I've had.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 22, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Wow this bourbon is wayyyyy better than its $40 price point. I think I found a new favorite bourbon. 120 proof is fiery but it's so smooth and complex with a tiny splash of water. A+ would recommend.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Store picks too are all 120 proof, usually under $50 and range from 9 years all the way up to 15 (if you can find them, rumors are the older picks are going away). Definitely one of the best values in Bourbon out there.

Well, drat. KC has been in my blind spot for ages. Def need to keep my eye out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OTOH I forgot how much I hate the wax dip on Knob Creek bottles. Hands down the worst wax seals I've ever dealt with.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sounds like it will be terrible. You shouldn't drink it. Also, send it my way for disposal.

Speaking of distillery tours, I'm so annoyed I put off doing the bourbon trail a couple years ago now. :negative:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I did it everyone. I went to total wine today and they had a bottle of EC toasted barrel on the shelf for $42.

Now, I have little interest in that bottle, as I have so many open bottles right now and no room for storage.

So, I picked it up and held it while I looked around. I know it’s somewhat hard to find right now, so the temptation was there. But what did I do, I put it back and left empty handed.

You're a good person

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you like the spice in Bulleit, you should be looking for other high rye mashbill bourbons or just a straight up rye whiskey.

Edit: 1792 High Rye, Redemption High Rye, Old Granddad BIB, I think one or two of the Four Roses Single Barrel mash bills is pretty high rye as well.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 13, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A bottle of Rittenhouse 100 is cheap as hell and it's a fantastic rye for the price

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

spankmeister posted:

It's good but not worth the money since it's all either Alberta or MGP-sourced.

Yep, I was gifted a bottle of Whistlepig 6yo and while tasty, I would never have paid MSRP for it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Really all everybody. Someone gifted me a bottle of willett pot still reserve.

It was a nice gesture, but it’s quite literally in drinkable for me. It just tastes like wet grass.

I tried it in a Manhattan and couldn’t even drink half of it.

It’s seriously a drain pour for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of it either, but it did quite well in ice cream and baked goods in place of vanilla. I'm pretty sure I used the majority of my bottle was for bourbon ice cream and chocolate chip cookies.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd prob buy another if it was $30, just for the unique bottle. It's like $50ish here for the 750 and there's no way I'm dropping that kind of cash on it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I never had any of the Willett Family Estate before, and last night I managed to get a pour of the 4yo rye. I'm glad I never bought a bottle without tasting, cuz it's interesting, but the flavor profile was so strongly fruit and not enough of the rye spice I was hoping for. It's definitely not the whiskey for me.

OTOH, I also had a pour of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch C920 and wow :eyepop: It definitely punches at 132 proof, but the ethanol nose and burn isn't overwhelming. This is a fantastic bourbon and now I understand why it gets bought up so quickly.

A local store just did a barrel pick of a 10yo EC:

quote:

Elijah Craig Small Batch Single Barrel Select

Barreled On: 01/27/2011, Dumped On: 01/05/2021
Barrel #6022707 Warehouse EE, Floor 5
Bottle Age: 9 YRS & 11 MO, Bottle Proof: 94°, Total Production: 144 Bottles

Retail Price: $29.99

If the small batch is anything like this barrel proof, I definitely need to score a bottle.

----

I'm also still on the (likely impossible) search for a bottle of High West Midwinter's Night Dram. If anyone has one, I'd def make it worth your while. :negative:

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 27, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GD_American posted:

How is Templeton Rye?

Please tell me it sucks. Because I just lost a bottle to a shelf collapse, unopened.

Mehhhh, it's okay. I've had a lot better rye than theirs.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's not The Worst, but we drank a lot of Paddy in college and it was not a great experience ever

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone try the Makers Mark 2021 Finishing Series yet?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gravitee posted:

Nope but it's on the top of my list now.

Grabbed a bottle today, but took acetaminophen after getting the covid shot so I guess I'll see how it tastes tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone try the Makers Mark 2021 Finishing Series yet?

Yeah, this is really, really good if you like the sweeter bourbons.

Nose is very butterscotch and maple syrup, Taste is very burnt caramel and oak, maybe some sort of fruitiness like cherry, something rich. Finish is spice, vanilla, and leather.

For $55-60 this is a goddamn steal. Def a recommend if you like the overall MM profile of flavors. I think I'm gonna grab a second bottle to tuck away for later this year.