Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gravitee posted:

I loved loved loved the 2019 LE. Is it better than that if you've tried both?

I don't 100% recall the 2019, but from what I remember, I feel like the 2021 is better. I think the half charred staves added a lot to the finished product. It's super well rounded and complex, better than a lot of the bottles I paid quite a bit more for than this, too.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scythe posted:

If OGD BIB and Rittenhouse are in your top 3 all-time worst whiskeys, I want your life and/or liquor budget.

I was trying to find a polite way to say the same thing lol

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Is Kentucky Owl Confiscated worth $125?

It would be pretty good at $50 but lol at $125 or more for it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd be down. I am definitely glad I had a sample of Willet 4yo rye before dropping cash on the bottle, as it is definitely not for me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I had Handy at a bar in Atlanta a few years back and drat it was good, so viscous and tasty. Definitely worth a whirl at ~$20 or less a pour.

I read that a "a handy" and was really confused for a second. All the BTAC bottles are great and I wish it was possible to find a bottle ever. I always wonder what kind of job these fb group dudes have to be able to hop down to a liquor store at like 11am on a weekday whenever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nimmy posted:

If it was as easy as showing up at a liquor store at 11am on a weekday I could swing it. I don't think those days exist anymore, it's all lotteries.

And if it's not, let me know where in Austin I can show up at 11 and get a bottle at MSRP.

It's not like the super rare stuff like pappy and BTAC, but I always see posts locally here in WI where guys are nabbing stuff like george t stagg, michters, and blantons cuz they're showing up at open on the weekdays when the shipment gets put out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah Stagg Jr sorry. That and EH Taylor are the two I keep hoping to get lucky on randomly through the year.

It wasn't so bad wandering through a liquor store every few weeks on a whim before, but now with covid it feels not right stopping in just on the chance there's a bottle I want.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Goddamn I still don't understand how Knob Creek single barrels stay so cheap. Just grabbed a store pick at 15 years and it was $40. I don't feel so annoyed about allocated bottles anymore.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't buy either of them :colbert:

:colbert: You're missing out. The 2021 FAE-01 limited release is dope as gently caress.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nimmy posted:

Let us know how the FAE-01 is. I went to the liquor store Friday and ended up with some Stranahan's Sherry Cask, but when I was checking out the owner offered me that bottle. I am not a huge fans of wheaters or Maker's and said no, but it was hard. I was tempted to buy just to have it, but I thought that would just take a bottle away from someone who would like it.

It's great but if you don't love wheated bourbon or Makers then it's prob not anything I'd recommend for you.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

biglads posted:

Moving house in a couple of months and am having to provide an inventory of the bulk of my collection for the purposes of storage & insurance. Think it's gonna be up near 400 bottles so looks like I have some sort of a (nice) problem.

:eyepop: And I was getting sideye looks from my girlfriend for having uh, 11 or 12 bottles right now

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: It's less the actual amount of bourbon and more the fact that a new bottle has shown up every week for the past like month and a half :shepspends: There's been so many nice bottles showing up on shelves lately.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I, too, have had Wild Turkey

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've been drinking p much only high proof bourbons for the last month and I didn't think my palate adapted that much, but I just poured a dram of Glenfiddich 14 at 86 proof and this tastes/feels super watery. I'm surprised at how much difference it makes.

Edit: earlier in the thread I was complaining about not being able to nose whiskey well, but I finally got myself a couple glencairns and that really does make a difference.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 21, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

My ABC has Knob Creek Rye SB store pick for $50. Am I right thinking that feels like a stretch considering the regular non-SB is $30 on sale?

Yeah it def depends on the age. I just opened a knob creek single barrel that's 14 years 8 months and it was def worth the extra money.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

coiol posted:

Any thoughts on Tennessee whiskey? I've been mostly a peated Scotch drinker but enjoying more bourbon recently, especially a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel strength C920 I picked up a while back. I'm taking a trip to Nashville and scheduled a couple of tastings at craft distilleries (Nelson's Green Brier, Corsair) but I know almost nothing about Tennessee whiskey. It looks like it's basically following the same rules as bourbon (51% corn, new barrels)? Any interesting bottles I should look out for that might only be available in-state?

Corsair was fun when I went a couple years ago. Although, it looks like their current selection is pretty small, at least for purchase. They were doing weird poo poo like quinoa or oat whiskeys and while some of em were not very tasty, it was interesting to try at least. Hopefully they have weirder things like that at the distillery.

I dunno if Belle Meade stuff is separate from Nelson's Green Brier, but I've had pours from a couple single barrels and a reserve and they were all pretty fuckin delicious.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 11, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m a bourbon drinker and the only scotch I’ve ever had is lovely Dewars and JW Red. Are the Oban and Balvenie mentioned above good starter scotches? I don’t think I’ll like super peaty or smoky scotch.

The Glenfiddich 14 has a bourbon barrel expression and it really tastes a lot like bourbon :v:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone else try this? The distribution on this is all over the place, but I came across a bottle yesterday and I've heard good things.

It's apparently a blend of 50% MGP 14yr light whiskey and 50% 3yr10mo Bourye from High West.

I was pleasantly surprised. The nose wasn't super complex, but it really evolved in the mouth and for $40 this is a good buy imo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Speaking of Wild Turkey, I was gifted a Flaviar thing and have a bottle of free Longbranch coming my way. Anyone drink it here? Celeb booze always feels kinda gimmicky, but it's been reviewed pretty well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Basil Hayden's core market seems to be non-bourbon drinkers buying a bottle that has a classy looking label and fancy sounding name as a gift. Or ppl just getting into bourbon also falling for the fancy name and classy label.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I credit that godawful wax with keeping the price of those amazing 13-15 year-old single barrel Knob picks at $50. It's like the antithesis of luxury product branding.

lol :hai:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Monkey shoulder is pretty decent

I also like Monkey Shoulder. I don't tend to drink it neat, but it's my go-to if I'm making a penicillin at home.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can anyone recommend an apple or other fruit whiskey for my dad? He likes the poo poo that tastes like corn syrup apple flavor and ten high so really anything is a step up.

If you take a step away from whiskey, there's stuff like apple jack, calvados or another apple brandy. I've had St George and Copper and Kings and they are both quite good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GD_American posted:

I'm pretty much a wheated bourbon drinker and could never stand scotch. I don't want to completely write them off, so are there any I should try that are milder?

Is there any particular flavor you don't like in the scotches you've had?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GD_American posted:

They just all taste like Pine-Sol to me. I've largely avoided them over the years (I dislike gin for similar reasons), occasionally trying a sip to see if it changed. I tried some Lagavulin 16 when a friend ordered it, no better.

Hm, not sure I've ever gotten that from scotch before.

If you wanted to try something that would be a good transition from something like a wheater, maybe Aberlour 12 or something. It's aged in bourbon and sherry barrels and it's got a softer, sweeter note which kinda reminds me of the sweeter side of wheaters.

I also thought the Glenfiddich Bourbon Barrel Reserve was pretty similar to bourbon.

Maybe Balvenie Caribbean Cask, it's kinda got the sweeter, brown sugary, rum/bourbon type thing going on too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm seeing more quality brand bourbon at Total Wine w/ their Spirits Direct label on the price tag. Is this something kinda like a specific barrel selection situation for the company or is it more along the lines of their other Spirits Direct stuff and it's mediocre for the price?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Word, that's kinda what I assumed.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone try the newest High West Rendezvous? I grabbed one today cuz it was $20 under retail and I still don't know what to think of it. It smells and tastes super floral and spice, but not like rye spicy. It kinda reminds me of an old tom gin.

I think I like it?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

It definitely felt like back then the hype was much lower.

Back in college around like 07 and 08 we were mixing Eagle Rare and Weller to pregame before going to the bar because they were only a couple bucks more per fifth than the bottom shelf stuff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any suggestions on a cheap peat heavy scotch? I don't like drinking em neat, but I love me a penicillin and that needs a nice smoky float on top.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

How peat heavy are we talking? Johnnie Walker Black is probably one of the cheapest bottles you'll find themed around peat, but it's not super heavily peated by any means. Laphroaig 10 is maybe the best value for a peaty single malt, but that will obviously cost you quite a bit more than a peaty blended Scotch.

Doesn't have to be some monster peat bomb, just noticeably smoky.

I might just get a bottle of Ardbeg or Laphroaig and use it 1/4oz at a time for the rest of my life

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Eagle Rare for <$35 is just...not going to happen anymore. IF I can even find it. Hell Buffalo Trace tastes similar (obviously) but rougher and it's now running at $35+ if you find it on the shelf.

I feel like I need to reset. What's everyone's favorite sipping bourbon for ~$30, easy to find, in the 80-90 proof range. I love barrel strength too but, honestly, sometimes it sneaks up on me when I don't need that much booze.

Like - what is your go-to, not a special occasion, sipping bourbon. Not for mixing. (Also I know Wild Turkey will be mentioned. For whatever reason, my local stores don't carry any WT product, including Russell. It's weird - maybe a distributor thing?)

Around $30-40 I like Four Roses single/small batch, 1792 Full Proof, Yellowstone Select, and Knob Creek 120 proof. I think these all clock in at over the 90 proof you mentioned, but all three sip pretty smooth imo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm a big fan of High West. I just opened a bottle of the Rendezvous Rye and goddamn it's a trip. It's super herbal and floral up front and I don't taste that super often in rye/bourbon. Their yearly Midwinter Night's Dram is the one bottle I really try to seek out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I'm super leery of anybody selling "a blend of straight bourbon/rye whiskey" since under US law you can put flavorings, colorings and "blending materials" :wtf: in those. It's a way to skirt the stricter rules for straight whiskey basically.

High West lists its blends on the website.

Rendezvous Rye:

A blend of older Straight Rye whiskeys ranging in age from 4 to 9 years.
Straight Rye whiskeys:
95% rye, 5% barley malt from MGP
80% rye, 20% malted rye from High West Distillery

Midwinter Night's Dram:

Straight Rye Whiskey:
80% rye, 20% malted rye from HWD

(No age statement, but probably p close to the blend used for Rendezvous)

Double Rye:

A blend of straight Rye whiskeys ranging in age from 2 to 9 years.
Straight Rye whiskeys:
80% Rye, 20% Malted Rye from High West Distillery

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yes! Friend of mine helps run a bourbon group, and his infinity bottle is absolutely amazing. It's an amalgamation of barrel picks and seems like mixing in the last few shots of every bottle and letting it sit has let the best parts of each bottle shine through. I want to start my own, but the fancy decanter I have is leaded glass and I'm not entirely convinced I wanna let anything sit in there and possibly leach out the lead. Debating just reusing another interesting bottle like IW Harper or Willet Pot Still and making a custom label for it instead, that way my brain will finally let me drink stuff like Orphan Barrel knowing there will always be a little bit of it blended in and it's never truly gone

Willet Pot Still bottle is trash to pour out of imo. Looks nice but goddamn I hate actually pouring out of it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Speaking of Willett

lol fuckin Metallica bourbon

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

brb gonna blast fart metal at barrels of bourbon for 2 years

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

High West Midwinter's Night Dram apparently releases nationwide October 1st. Goddamn I hate hunting down bottles. :negative:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Horn posted:

I've never paid attention to the release of a new whiskey so this very well may be a stupid question but since High West's Midwinter is supposed to be released today does that mean it's going to start showing up on shelves now? Or is that when it'll start being sent out from the distillery? I got a bottle as a gift a few years ago and am kicking myself for not picking up a bottle or two when I saw it sitting on shelves last year.

It released at the distillery today. It should start showing up elsewhere throughout October. I think the bottle I got the year before last hit the shelves here in WI right around Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Secondary on 2020 GTS is already approaching $1000, in January it was around $600
It's completely absurd at this point - plenty of great $50 bottles on the shelf

:lol: Goddamn idg paying that much for anything I'm going to consume.

Edit: I guess I used to think that about $100 bottles but Remus Reserve and Midwinter Night's Dram were def worth it at that price point. But still, rent money for a bottle of bourbon, dang.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 8, 2021