Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Windyblade posted:

Booker's is my favorite bourbon by far, there's something intense about it that makes it unique. The flavors really just click in a special way. Even the vanilla, which I usually find to be either overpowering or not worth mentioning, actually adds something for once. It seems to be a love it or hate it thing for most people, but I say it's absolutely worth trying.

Mine as well, though, at 121+ proof, I would recommend the application of an ice cube or a wee splash of spring water.

As for scotch, I like my scotch like I like my women:

Twelve years old and mixed up with coke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Control Volume posted:

Any reviews for Jim Beam?

Jim Beam Black Label actually was a terrific deal back when it had the 8 year age statement on it, a few years ago.
I haven't revisited it more recently, though, and they did away with the age statement, so that may have changed.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
In addition to the too-low-proof and too-neutral-base-spirit, I'd say the most fundamental problem you ran up against is that you just threw some wood in the oven for an hour or two rather than using properly seasoned wood staves / stave shavings.

Per a major stave producer:
"Staves are air-dried, or “seasoned,” for 24 months to achieve 12-14% moisture levels for liquid-tight barrels. Natural drying allows rain and other elements to reduce the tannins in the wood, softening the flavors. The seasoning process also results in pliable wood that can be molded into barrels without splintering."

The reason it is quite bitter is that all the tannins were still in the wood and leached out before all the pleasant wood notes could come out.

It is not going to be poisonous (assuming there is isn't anything hosed up with the tree you used) but I'm sure it is quite unpleasant to drink.

Maybe dilute it with some other whisky or vodka and/or put it in a mixed drink and use the bitterness to your advantage.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I keep 30 to 40 different gins on hand. No thread though but I'd happily discuss it some

Sounds like you should start a thread!

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

DoctaFun posted:

Also not an expert, but a lot of the local micro distilleries around here have bottled gin to sell while their bourbon still needs to age for a bit.

I am something adjacent to an expert, and this is 100% correct. Whiskey comes off of the still water white (hence the term "white dog") and usually requires years of aging in oak. Difficult to run a business when you are plowing many monies into producing a product you can't sell for months and months in the future. Gin and vodka, on the other hand, basically come off of the still ready to drink (though there is a school of thought that aging in stainless steel/neutral vessel for a few weeks mellows/unifies and improves the product).

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Surprised no one has recommended Glenmorangie as babby's first scotch: it's quite light, fruity, and accessible.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Toebone posted:

I've got a half a bottle of Chivas Regal I don't really care for straight. Any good scotch-based cocktails out there aside from penicillin and sours?
Should make a decent Bloody Scotsman - probably best with a boost of something a bit peaty-er mixed in.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm more a wine and cocktails guy but reading this thread has made me go for some scotch. A bit sacrilegious: Been doing 3:1 Famous Grouse: Laphroaig 10. Delicious and pretty cost effective for scotch. You still get the smoke at that ratio.

You are pretty much making this:

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/blended-scotch/famous-grouse-black-grouse/p/109330750

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Comb Your Beard posted:

I had that years ago, for some reason I like this more. But yea it is similar. I got on the Grouse bc of how popular it was in Scotland.

Makes sense: when you cook up your own blend you can tweak just how smoky/fruity/peaty the final product is until it is just to your liking.

Also, Black Bull is good. It's got that flinty/sulfurous note that can be quite divisive but I do enjoy.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

Since I'm not spending money going out every weekend, what are some bottles I should try under $80? For American whiskey, I generally prefer rye to bourbon. Bulleit Rye is fine. I also like Rittenhouse and Old Overholt but IIRC those were a bit harsh. For single malts, I generally prefer peat and smoke. I know I like Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Laphroaig 10, and Lagavulin 16. I recently purchased Macallan 15 and Glenmorangie 18 because they were on sale and both were disappointing. I also had Macallan 30 a few years back and thought it was meh. My favorite whiskey that I've tried is Yamazaki 18 (I think the 12 is junk).

If you like a very easy drinking rye, Pendleton 1910 might be up your alley. Canadian, 12 yr aged, and right around $30ish.

As for peaty, maybe give Talisker a spin?

CleverHans fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 2, 2020

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Eagle Rare is rumored to be a select pick of Buffalo Trace, so grab that when you see it.

Edit: it’s usually around $40 though

Was just about to recommend this as well. A perennial favorite of mine.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

DoctaFun posted:

I don’t want this to come off as snobby either, but I don’t know that I’ve ever met someone who is ‘in to Canadian whisky’. It’s always either bourbon, scotch, or rye, and if a Canadian bottle gets suggested it’s always a ‘it’s really good for a Canadian whisky’.

There’s probably a lot of good Canadian whisky out there too, but it’s almost always at the bottom of the list prestige/hype wise.

That said, the crown Royal noble collection from two years ago, 13 year bourbon mash, was fantastic. The release for this year is a 16 year rye, which I’m excited to try. Not a lot of 15+ year old rye whisky out there to try, especially for $60ish!!!

Ya, Canadian whiskey is the Rodney Dangerfield of brown spirits.

That said, Forty Creek is a very tasty tipple if you can find it.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

I don’t know if it’s the cheese or crackers I ate but my Evan Williams SB tastes extra orangey today. My 1792/BT infinity bottle too. I like it.

How much variation is there in the Single Barrel from bottle to bottle?

A fairly good deal, when compared to the regular bottlings: that is a great part of their cachet, all the character of individual single barrels rather than being blended out to the exact house style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If you are used to smelling wine, coffee, etc. you need to step back, both literally and figuratively.

If you just go stuffing your nose in and inhaling deeply, you are only going to get ethanol burn in your nostrils: try wafting it from a few inches away.