Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Finished off a bottle of the Balvenie Doublewood this afternoon with my dad. He generally doesn't enjoy Scotch, but he really liked the DW today. What are some good single malts that have a fruity taste or are bottled after aging in sherry casks? We have a liquor store nearby, and I would love to get him further into Scotch rather than his normal favorites like Bourbon or gin. Any help is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kidsafe posted:

Balvenie Double Wood is so pleasing because it actually isn't heavy on the Sherry. It's only aged in an sherry butt for months rather than years. Similar, but maybe a little bit more sherried is Aberlour. I might also look into Glenrothes.

Ok, never tried either of those but I have seen the Aberlour in the store. Of course the smart thing to do is buy a new bottle of the DW since I already knows he likes it. But I will definitely try the Aberlour this weekend.

Thanks also for the tip about the sherry casks. I've read this entire thread over the last couple of weeks, but didn't remember that fact coming up.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban...now that's a fine Scotch. Notes on the cork included apple and chocolate, mint and chocolate on the first taste. Just a drat fine product for $54 including tax. Best birthday present to myself ever! :)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
The Glenrothes, both the 1998 bottling and the Select Reserve, are a wonderful jigger on a chilly day. They unfroze m'nose and warmed my belly well. Completely caught off guard by the tasting, I had to sit in the cigar store while I reclaimed my brain enough to drive. Oh, well...I can go to the supermarket tomorrow. Drunk shopping for food was fun when I was 22. Nothing is fun at 39 :).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kidsafe posted:

If it were me, I'd buy Balvenie 12yr Double Wood insread of Glenfarclas 12yr. They aren't similar, but I'd rather my first impression of Glenfarclas be the 17 or older. Balvenie represents the super sweet, lemon drop candy side scotch and would be a good contrast to the balance of HP and the light characteristic of Bowmore (peat aside.)

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is another sweet double wood-ed Scotch. It's finished in a Port Wine cask, so it tends to have a nice flavor profile if you like port wine. I' throwing it out there mainly because my Dad, Grandpa, and brother all liked it despite "not being Scotch drinkers." It's also not very expensive!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Elliptical Dick posted:

Just listed Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Balvenie 12yo Doublewood as options for Christmas presents to my mum. After which my girlfriend goes "I already sent her some whisky recommendations and she already got some". Let's hope they were good ones!

Someone is getting some Jack Daniel's Honey for Crimmus! :)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

rxcowboy posted:

Someone please educate me about Canadian whiskey. I see it constantly poo poo on, but for how much it sells and how many varieties there are, there has to be something good here. What would be a good bottle to wow me about Canada?

Crown Royal Maple

(Srsly don't drink it)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wormil posted:

Canadian whiskey appeals to people who prefer mellow So it isn't that they are bad just uninteresting.

My hatred of Canadian whisky is not b/c it's Canadian, either: I'm from Tennessee and think that Jack Daniels Honey is vile. You can't even drown it in Coke like you can Crown Royal for a palatable drink.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Marshall Louis posted:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban on the other hand, just turned my wife into a newbie Scotch drinker.

My dad is not a Scotch man. But I bought another bottle of the QR and he and I finished it off at the in-laws' house over dinner. This was after the Balvenie DW from last week. I gotta keep getting these "fruity" finished Scotches for him. Maybe let him try some of my peated Scotches and see how a little liquid smoke goes over :).

I did buy him a bottle of Four Roses bourbon but he just drank all my whiskey...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shif posted:

Call me whatever you'd like, but is there anything similar to the taste of Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey? Not a fan of anything sweet, but I find JD to be delicious. Also, is there really that much of a difference from the Johnny Walker Red to the Black? I'm a pretty big fan of the Red already.

I am from TN and we buy JD all the time.

To give away.
;-)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I've never had JW Red, but I though the consensus was that it isn't a great sipping whisky but is a wonderful mixer?

Yes. JWRed for my friends who wanna get wasted, Glenmorangie or Highland Park or equivalent for the friends that appreciate it. I am not wasting my good stuff on most of my buddies, kinda like having a few Aurturo Fuentes to pass along when they wanna smoke a cigar, while I will give my second group a DPG Blue or cuban RASS. Usually this group is overlapping with the one with good Scotch.

I don't think I am being snobby here, it's just that I have known these guys for thirty years now, and I know their habits pretty well.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Devoz posted:

If you had to pick between a Macallan 18 Sherry Oak or Glenmorangie Signet what would you pick? Assuming price was the same for both.

Glenmorangie Signet.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shugojin posted:

Yeah Kentucky is messed up. By area, the state that most Americans associate with bourbon is about half dry for gently caress's sake.

Lynchburg (where JDaniel's is made) is a dry county, too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ChickenArise posted:

Are there any tax benefits to producing in a dry county/area?

Nope.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shugojin posted:

On the other hand there's not really a penalty either if you were already there when it went dry. I guess you can't really do tastings for tours but that would be a tiny loss compared to relocation.

Yep.

You hit the nail on the head as explained 10 yrs ago on the JD tour.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Meaty Ore posted:

I picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel (aged 10 years) for about $23.

My brother-in-law's father (we are a close knit family :-) ) keeps a bottle of this on hand for all of the big and small family occasions. He is a good man.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

rufius posted:

As Chuck Cowdery says, it's easy to drink good bourbon on the cheap and hard to drink good scotch on the cheap.

This is a very good quote because of how true it is. And I got a new whiskey blog to read! :)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fenrir posted:

I've made quite a few posts lately extolling the virtues of Wild Turkey 101

Still pretty much the best drat thing you can drink for $30.

Y'all purists can laugh at my ice cubes. I've just always drank it that way.

I don't see any problems /with any of these statements. WT 101? Good. >$30? Good. Ice in bourbon on a 90• day? Good.

Enjoy!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shugojin posted:

We can be purists all we want but the point is to drink what you like how you like it.

Agreed! I generally put an ice cube or two in even when drinking Scotch. I don't really care if it is considered wrong, I simply don't like drinking room temperature liquids. Hot is good; cold is good. The only thing I ever drink according to what other people do is tequila shots :-).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Devil Wears Wings posted:

but my pick would be Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

This was the last bottle of Scotch I bought last week and is it is already gone. It is good stuff.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

biglads posted:

He sounds like a decent bloke

Thanks! I knew you'd like it!

Get it? I am your mom's boyfriend! J/k, I bet your mom is a nice lady :-)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jewcoon posted:

What's a good whiskey to get in Ontario for around 50? I'm leaning towards Glenfiddich right now.

You can never go wrong with Glenfiddich. It is not the absolute best or most complex, but it is still a solid choice for anyone who wants a real Scotch. I always keep a bottle around for friends that want to drink with me but have been put off of peat smokey or iodine invoking Scotches in the past. Everybody I know who drinks Scotch whisky likes it :-).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

I really like Auchentoshan for a lighter, grainy cereal whisky. It's not called the Breakfast Whisky for nothing.

Never heard that term before.

I think I will drink some now for second breakfast (Yes, I am a hobbit).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mojo1701a posted:

and thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I bought the Balvenie Golden Cask at Heathrow's duty-free store

Please describe this in detail (I love Balvenie scotches and the DW is what got my dad into scotch. Simple people have simple tastes :-) ).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mojo1701a posted:

Long story short, if you need an excuse to travel, might as well be this.

Thanks!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Devil Wears Wings posted:

EC12, and Buffalo Trace.

If you want a good mixing bourbon AND a good sipping bourbon you cannot go wrong with these two. I hope they're available where you can get them!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm in Memphis for a month and my friend asked me to bring her some Tennessee Whiskey (or Moonshine). I'm a beer person, and know jack poo poo about whiskey, so does anyone know of any good local whiskey (or Moonshine) I can get?

Jack Daniel's is considered Tennessee whiskey. If it was good enough for the Chairman of the Board to be buried with, it's good enough for your friend :-).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

silvergoose posted:

...it's surprisingly hard to find time to sit down and sip whiskey with a 2 month old now in the house.

Are you kidding? Scotch is the only thing that allowed me to sleep through the first year of my son's life :-). 'Course, I'm now divorced, so ymmv!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

2DCAT posted:

I agree with Booyah: As far as $20 ryes go, the Rittenhouse is significantly better than the wild turkey 101.

Make me third to agree. Rittenhouse is better, but I will admit that the WT101bourbon's really, really tough to beat for the price.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

b0ng posted:

I think that the only thing that will turn me off from a whiskey so far is too much heat, I've been gunshy about trying anything above 100 proof.

Wild Turkey 101 is exceedingly drinkable at 101 proof. Nobody should be giving you poo poo about adding a bit of water or ice to open it up, either.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

That's too bad. In my experience the first bit on a just opened bottle isn't as good as the rest.

That's why I buy booze in advance if I'm going to share. I take the first shot for the team before we get down to seriously drinking.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Just bought my dad Four Roses Small Batch for $36 and change. That is all.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

GrandpaPants posted:

Do you guys do anything with your bottles after you're done with them?

I fill them up with random cigar bands from cigars I smoked and liked. I don't drink nearly as much any more because of a medication conflict, but I smoke a couple/a few cigars a day. Ones I like get glued back to cylinders if needed and put in the bottles. I've donated a few to my tobacconist and they look really classy in the store.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ChickenArise posted:

I like it at the price point, but not the Rye. tbh though, I'll just grab Beam.

I like the Rittenhouse because my Granny was a Rittenhouse from up north and I pretend it's a family business. :homebrew:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stultus Maximus posted:

Are there any good blends with a salty/briny character?

I'm not an expert by any means but I have tried a bunch of whisk(e)y in my forty years and I can't ever remember getting a briny blend. If somebody knows of one I'd be just as interested in hearing about it!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Slash posted:

Talisker Storm came across as slightly salty to me.

e: just noticed you said 'blend'

Yeah he was asking about blended scotches, but I do love Talisker Storm anyway :allears:!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

It's been a couple of years since I last had it, but Té Bheag was a seriously great blend last time I tried it.

Kudos on the knowledge! I'll have to try to find some to try, sounds interesting!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

I ain't got nothing to say about that but Kentucky Bourbon is better than Tennessee Whiskey.

As a TN resident all my life ('cept for four years) and drinking for twenty years (more if you count high school, but who drinks good liquor in high school?:clint:), KY bourbon completely blows away TN JD. Even the cheap stuff. JD tastes good in a Coke, and that's about it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Impulse-bought a half-bottle of Fighting Cock today to try.

I was supposed to be shopping for my wife's birthday present.

Whoops. :)

"Here, Dear: half of a half bottle of Fighting Cock!"

I bet her panties just melt off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Ahh, I got her some fancy tea and I'm going back for hand-made chocolates closer to the day. Was going to buy her a nice teacup, only to discover the price of good china makes whisky look tame.

I broke a plate from my mother's china last Christmas. I told her I'd replace it because it was my fault, not because I'm independently wealthy.

Cost me $240 on eBay and that included a butter dish I didn't even need. I'll eat off paper plates from now on, Mom, thanks :11tea: