Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Not sure if it really qualifies as a "haunted house movie" but House of the Devil is on Instant and is damned good. Session 9 is pretty great too, but it's about a sanitarium and not a house. I'm not sure how much that ruins it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

^Mreh.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Session 9 is good. It was one of the inspirations of Silent Hill!(the game not the terrible movie).

It's more likely that the reverse is true. They definitely share a similar vibe, but Session 9 came out barely a month before Silent Hill 2 in 2001. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the movie had an impact on SH3, though, since the two have some overlapping imagery.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

The entire film is about a white woman being punished for trespassing on a black narrative and trying to co-opt it and rob it of its power (by finding the "real" Candyman.) It's about myths having a reality beyond their origins.

Also bees.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Speaking of British comedies, does anyone have an opinion on Black Books? I added it to my queue last week because I spotted Bill Bailey crammed into the corner of the boxart, but I don't know anything about it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Abugadu posted:

I was pleasantly surprised after watching Vexille, a sci-fi/political anime about Japan developing androids, being criticized by the UN, then withdrawing from contact from the rest of the world for 10 years. This is one of those where you can tell whether you'll like it after watching the first two minutes.

I turned it off after the first two minutes. The premise sounds interesting but Netflix only offers the dub and not the original language track. It doesn't surprise me by now, but it's still annoying. Doubly so that I actually have to start watching the movie before that information becomes clear.

It's sad that Netflix half-asses so much of its foreign content. Their Japanese language selection is particularly miserable, excepting a couple of Kurosawa movies.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I've now heard is that you should just pretend Rooney's character is a white guy who thinks he's a stereotypical Japanese man, and everyone in the building just humors him.

How does that make it better?

Whether a person can look past Rooney's character and enjoy Breakfast at Tiffany's mostly comes down to personal tolerances, and I'm not advocating for or against the movie. But attempting to create unsupported contexts that cast Rooney's character as anything other than bald-faced racism really just compounds the problem.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ape canyon posted:

Any suggestions for a good, tense horror film? The horror section is pretty huge, but I always have trouble separating the wheat from the chaff.

I think it's been mentioned before in the thread, but House of the Devil is one of my favorites. Give it a shot.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

Can't really be mentioned enough. If you have Netflix, enjoy Westerns or Animation even a little bit, do yourself a favor and watch Rango.

I guess I'm the only person that found Rango to be pretty average. It's not a bad film by any stretch, but it felt rote and a little draggy, especially that subplot with the moles. And boy howdy, is it ever impressed with its own existentialism.

I'd still recommend it, just not as vehemently.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Anybody have some old sitcoms or something of the kind from the 90s or early 00s that they know of? I'm almost done with Malcolm in the Middle, and I'm looking for a new series to watch. If I can't find anything, I might just start Breaking Bad.

King of the Hill is on Instant. Most of it, anyway. I think a couple episodes are disc only due to weird licensing stuff.

Frasier is a pretty great 90s sitcom too.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Hitch posted:

I heard this wasn't going to be on instant for too much longer. Wasn't there some new agreement where Netflix won't carry AMC shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad?

Sounds like a rumor. AMC and Netflix signed a multi year deal last October.

https://www.amcnetworks.com/release_release_press.jsp?nodeid=6420

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Wolfsheim, you might want to spoiler that for folks just getting started on the series.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They kinda did, it was called Triangle and it was pretty drat good. I personally didn't care for Timecrimes very much, I have weird taste sometimes.

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of Timecrimes either. Yeah, it's pretty intricate, but it sure would be nice if there was some writing beyond the expected "time paradox" stuff. Maybe a character or some dialog or something, I dunno.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Has Theseus been recommended yet? That movie is great, having seen it in theaters, I felt a bit disappointed but you can't go wrong with it on Netflix. I'm pretty sure its in blue ray quality too.

Do you mean Immortals? There's no movie called Theseus in Instant Watch.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Stuntastic posted:

Anyone have any good horror movie recs? I've found the streaming selection to be pretty lackluster

I'm pretty sure I said this the last time someone asked, but it's still true: If you like horror, you need to watch House of the Devil.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

stimpy posted:

I don't get why everyone keeps gushing over it. It seemed pretty formulaic and standard to me. At best I thought it was pretty run of the mill. Unless there's some sort of satire of lovely horror angle that I'm just missing and don't really give a poo poo about anyway.

There's no real satire to be found in the movie, though it is steeped in common horror tropes of the eighties. The real reason the movie is so beloved is because the movie right up front makes you think that anything could happen at any time by suddenly and brutally murdering the roommate, then plays off your expecation for sudden violence by slowly building up the tension over the course of the next hour. It's a classic fake-out, referencing the eighties style of gore-horror and then turning into a very spare, minimalist take on the genre. I agree that the final five minutes are probably the weakest of the film, though I think the director was smart to rush through that bit as quickly as possible. Once the chase was on I was able to breathe easily for the first time in an hour because I finally knew what to expect.

I would also say that this is probably the best-shot horror film I've seen in recent years. The camerawork is truly impressive, and does a great job of conveying an oppressive atmosphere without really bashing you over the head with it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

To have a place on the Internet for ladies to casually mention their videogame-playing boyfriend at every opportunity?

For anyone looking for a really smart and low-key horror flick in the week before Halloween, I really recommend Lake Mungo. Low on scares, but a drat good movie in its own right. Ignore the horrible cover with the screaming girl, this is a classy production all the way through.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Revener posted:

Roomate wants to watch an interesting horror film, anything fit the bill on Netflix presently?

Tell me what they consider interesting and I'll give you a recommendation. You might also think of checking out the 2012 October Horror Movie a Day thread, which has a lot of good recommendations that I've been drawing from over the past month.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

The quality of Whedon's work depends entirely on the power of the premise.

No, Whedon's strength has always been his characterizations. I can't think of anything he's done that relies heavily on the premise (except maybe Dollhouse, which I didn't like). His strength is in creating likable characters with just enough depth to be interesting without being overcomplicated. The plots those characters walk around in is incidental, even in his big-screen stuff like The Avengers. Absolutely no one is ever going to praise Whedon for his plots, because his stuff always boils down to "cowboys in space" or "cheerleader versus vampires" or "superheroes punch aliens."

And just for the record, I recommend Buffy wholeheartedly despite its shaky first season(s). The back half of that series has two or three of my favorite hours of television ever. Firefly, as sharp as it is, is not quite as sharp as Buffy at its peak.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

kuddles posted:

Strangely, I feel the exact opposite about him. I always find his premises and scenarios to be more unique and compelling than most other science fiction, and then find myself let down by the dialogue he has written for all his characters I feel nothing for because they all act like the exact same smarmy person.

I don't get what people are seeing in those scenarios, but I agree that it sometimes feels like a character (specifically the comic relief guy that appears in every Whedon production) is reused from series to series. It's not a real problem with Firefly and Buffy because the actors that played Wash and Xander had very distinct delivery, but Dollhouse and even Cabin in the Woods both had characters that were trying too hard to be Joss Whedon characters and it was really distracting.

Cabin in the Woods is still great, though, despite that one bit of weak writing. And it lives on the strength of its premise, so I guess I can agree with you there if not necessarily on his larger body of work.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

foodfight posted:

Everyone should watch The Great Happiness Space and not read too much about it.

Please take this man's suggestion under advisement. It's a documentary about Japanese host clubs, and that's all you need to know. Don't read anything, just go watch it.

I'll watch Jiro tonight if the rest of you watch The Great Happiness Space.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

MustardMaster posted:

Now I'm watching The Great Happiness Space.

:psyduck:

I'm literally speechless. Oh my Lord.

I'd just like to point out that this man is speechless because his heart was just carved out of his chest. This is not a funny little documentary about Japanese pretty boys. This movie will wreck you.

...so maybe watch it after the holidays, I dunno.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I just found out tonight that Bellflower is on streaming and watched it straight away. It's a movie about a guy with a Mad Max fantasy who has a stockpile of weapons and a freshly-completed flamethrower tucked back for the coming apocalypse. And then he falls in love, and all the worst things you can imagine arising from this scenario start to happen.

It's a rough watch, and I'm sure the ending will be a big point of contention with most of you, but I think it's a pretty great movie about a guy trying to reconcile his power fantasies with the powerless feelings that come from being in a really lovely relationship. It's worth mentioning that the director, Evan Glodell, who also stars as Woodrow, actually made the badass Medusa car and a special camera for the shoot that accepts a handful of artifacted lenses. Which is to say that Netflix is not making GBS threads itself, those video artifacts are supposed to be there.

Give it a shot.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Volume posted:

Haha wow. Not a bad documentary but then the twist at the loving end.

I didn't get much sleep on Saturday night, so when that twist happened I kind of straightened up in my seat, rewound a minute or two and tried to shake myself awake because I was certain I had dreamt it.

I have to admit that I started watching this because I was sleepy and wanted something I could just simply agree with while nodding off. I thought that it would be a ninety minute tirade against Mormonism, censorship, and artless Bowdlerization, three topics that are traditionally hot-button subjects for me. I was surprised, then, when midway through the movie I began to sympathize with the Mormons who just wanted to be able to watch the airline and network edits on their own time. In a perfect world these cut versions wouldn't exist at all, but if the studios are in the business of producing sanitized versions for certain markets, why not sell those versions to demanding customers? Arguments of artistic integrity are kind of moot after you've heard an overdubbing of "Yippee kay yay, Mister Falcon."

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I've gone through the first two seasons of That Mitchell and Webb Look this week. I'm really enjoying it although there is a significant gap in quality between some of the sketches. Sir Digby Chicken Caesar is consistently great, Numberwang is consistently horrible, the derivatives of Numberwang are great.

Mitchell and Webb is famous for being uneven. One of the later sketches even acknowledges that.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

Speaking of which, I just finished The IT Crowd (which is on Netflix!) recently, and although there were some slow episodes, I absolutely loved it.

I'm disabled...

Someone showed me the "I'm disabled" episode first, and I laughed so hard I wrecked my voice for the rest of the night. We then watched the first three episodes of season one in utter, chilly silence.

So yeah, everyone needs to watch that one episode (Season 2 Episode 1, "The Work Outing"), but don't knock yourself out trying to watch the full run.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

How do you guys manage your international queues? I didn't know that the new season of Breaking Bad was on Netflix UK, and I'd love to have access to the new season of Portlandia. I already have a VPN with nodes around the world so that part isn't a problem, I just want to know how you keep track of what's available where.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Revener posted:

Just finished Paranormal Activity 2 and 3, the stories were just terrible but the found footage aspect of it was interesting in the same way those old ghost-cam websites were when I was a kid. Anything else on Netflix that runs with the latter aspect?

It's not a found footage movie, but The Innkeepers is about two people who are attempting to make such a website about a hotel with a grisly past. Great film, you should watch it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Diogenes Ex posted:

I'd recommend this one on the strength of the characters, although I felt the ending was that from a much, much lesser movie.

I liked the ending. There's no big twist, but it doesn't necessarily need one. It's a very slow ramp up to the inevitable, and it gets there naturally without a whole lot of contrivances. It's not my favorite horror film on Netflix, but it's probably very near the top.

That's maybe the weakest spoiler I've ever spoilered. I have spoilered the absence of a spoiler. Spoiler!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Junkie Disease posted:

Lady with kid? Red Herring.

Has been tv Star? forshadowing and empty epilogue.

Old man? Worthless flavor.

Side story about internet site? Pointless.

All of these elements have a purpose, and none of them are pointless.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

As a rule I'm against the use of wacky image macros to convey emotions, but yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Tennis Ball posted:

Oh man. This is actually kind of good. Not in an ironic way... (Only 8 minutes in though...)

Big Baby: Man, you still in love with that whore?
Sidekick: I kiss a horse one time and you guys just won't let it go!
Big Baby: I said whore.

At this point the writers, exhausted from effort and the lateness of the hour, congratulated each other on their sterling wit and agreed to retire to the parlor and huff the last of the glue.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Volume posted:

If you're like me and you like your movies about depression to hit home, I recommend Special. It's a bit of a comedy as well but Michael Rapaport really sells the depression bit.

Yeah, but don't watch the trailer. It spoils the whole arc of the movie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Rothgil posted:

I added Groundhog Day to my queue months ago and thought today would be a good day to watch it again.

Turns out they pulled it yesterday

If only you had yesterday to do over again.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Tennis Ball posted:

House of Cards

Kevin Spacey: Is that a PS Vita? Anyways, back to what we were talking about that had nothing to do with video games.

Maybe they're just establishing it's existence for a plot point in an upcoming episode. Chekhov's Vita.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Are there any good horror movies on Netflix that aren't either old classics, "haunted white girl" ghost movies, or gore porn?

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on what kind of horror you want. Name a few horror movies you liked, I'll see if I can match them to anything on Netflix.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

etalian posted:

horror boob movies?

What part of that confuses you?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Short Penguin posted:

As an english student, I LOVE Pontypool. So much. :allears:

I'm an English major as well and think Derrida is the bees knees. The second half of Pontypool is still crap.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Magnus Gallant posted:

I hope they don't fudge facts about the cars, because that just doesn't seem proper.

They do. In the case of the electric car episode they famously pretended it ran out of power and pushed it around for laughs. When the manufacturer complained (apparently they had installed monitoring software in the car and released the data, proving the Top Gear skit a work of fiction) the hosts just shrugged it off.

That's really why I stopped watching the show, because although I'm not really invested in the whole electric car debate, their humor isn't good enough on its own without being grounded in some kind of fact. Sure, it's cool to think of them putting a Range Rover against a tank, but if the whole thing is made up from the start what value does it have?

Basically Top Gear is Man vs Wild with cars, and Jeremy Clarkson is a way more likable Bear Grills. If that bothers you (it bothers me) then don't watch it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Jeremey Clarckson? Likable? :aslol:

Compared to Bear Grills? Absolutely.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

Way back people were talking about Pontypool and one person seemed to think he'd seen a film that was extremely similar. If you liked Pontypool, definitely try and find the Japanese film The Booth. It's not on Netflix, unfortunately. It's on AZNV, however, if you have an account there, and as near as I can tell Pontypool had to have been inspired by it:

That movie sounds awesome and I intend to watch it, but I just want to point out that AZNV also has Lady Snowblood (big influence on Kill Bill) and Tetsuo: The Iron Man (classic Japanese body horror) up for streaming, and that's just what I found by aimlessly browsing around for five minutes. Really good stuff on there, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

casa de mi padre posted:

It's like paying for a PG movie and then sneaking into an R movie.

Something only a total bastard would do!

It's more like paying for a movie ticket in New York and then sneaking into a theater in Vancouver, but yeah, good analogy otherwise.

EDIT: Also, yes, please make an AZNV thread. I'm rear end deep in translation tests over here and need all the Japanese language films I can get.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 23, 2013

• Locked thread