Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mathhole posted:

I'm one of the optimists, though, so I didn't take in much of what you said and will continue with my same eating habits.
optimist is not a synonym for ignorant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Hawkgirl posted:

I'd like to spend less money on food, but I'm not living paycheck-to-paycheck. So what ARE the things it's okay to buy cheap, and what things should I avoid buying the very cheapest version? Here's what I (think I) know:

Eggs: Buy free-range
Grains/rice/nuts/whatever: Buy in bulk
Meat: I don't know? I like buying my meat in bulk from Costco and freezing it but I have no idea where they get their meat.
Milk and other dairy: No idea
Processed items: Stop buying them, they're expensive and way more gross than what you can make at home
unless you live in the mountains, there's probably a farm somewhere near you.
look into CSAs/farmers markets.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

amishbuttermaster posted:

Sorry but no, this is not true. I'm in Billings, MT. Plenty of Albertson's, no Mexican or any other kind of ethnic markets whatsoever.
http://g.co/maps/wgmd8

first result is http://www.goodearthmarket.coop/, what appears to be an analogue of whole foods. :effort:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

Bricks are cool but splitting them down is a bitch. With the flat bag method you can snap a corner off if if only for one or whatever.
if that's the case, why not just use icecube trays and then use ziplocks to store the frozen stock cubes?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Odrade posted:

Another cheap fish in the UK is coley.
Coley(coalfish) is called pollock State-side.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Krittick posted:

Good suggestion with the soup. I may just do that.
what soup are you referring to?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

:words:
hotpot comes in a rice flavour as well? :smith:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dadbuck posted:

I too love to have my rear end-trumpet sounding out my arrival, while spiking my bloodsugar and leading to pre-diabetes.

Instead of advising on eating cheap and unhealthy food, we need a lesson on frugalism and creativity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24879628/ns/business-retail/t/frugalists-bargain-hunting-lifestyle/
surely dumpster diving is the zenith of healthy eahahahahahahahahahaha

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Fame Throwa posted:

I'm trying to get my grocery bill down. One thing I noticed is that I spend too much money on bread. My boyfriend and I are picky eaters and health nuts, so I have to get 100% whole grain bread with no HFCS. It's good for my fiber, but I'm always stuck blowing like 4 dollars per loaf. Is there an easy way to make healthy whole grain breads?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511135 < the GWC bread thread

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

for sale posted:

Thanks, I forgot this forum was half autistic.
clearly you'd have to be autistic to know not to steal poo poo from a grocery store.
thanks for sharing your gripping tale of how you fooled an uncaring machine, you paragon of social redress :rolleyes:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

As a serious point, you should not use self checkout stations, as they take away jobs from people who need the work and yet provide almost no tangible benefit. Rather, you should support grocers where the employees are unionized or at the very least work in a coop type system. This way the workers, you included, are all supporting each other against the system which is rigged against them!
1930 called, they want their logical fallacy back

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Nooner posted:

making good food is literally sooooooo easy and cheap.

Go to the market and get a bunch ofbrussel sprouts, they are like $2 a pound if you get conventional.

cut them in half and tossthem with oil salt and pepper

dump em in your grtill basket and set the flames to medium heat

stir every once in a while

take off when they are soft on the inside and toasted on the outside

THERE YOU JUST ATE GOOD FOR FOR CHEAP YA DINGUS -- good thing you guys got Nooner around to hold your hand all the time
where's the latin kick??

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Why even have preferences, it's just a form of whining
why post if you're just gonna be snarky to people giving you tips

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

"Stop being a baby" and "god all this whining" aren't a necessary part of encouraging someone to eat healthier and/or cheaper. Can we not have one thread on this forum that doesn't have any rear end in a top hat-ish posturing? It's not needed in a thread like this.
good point, if only someone had actually posted tips in here, what a place that would be..

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Stop making excuses and just do it. Like, just stop being a baby and eat the damned food.

Make multiple dishes, freeze or fridge them so you're not eating the same thing every meal for three days, OR make one thing, say, roast a chicken or maybe two and then have it different ways for the next meals. First one, classic roast chicken and some veggies (roasted brussels, or carrots, purple potatoes, creamed spinach, whatever.) Second one, make a sauce, say cream or tomato based pasta with peas and noodles (or spagetti squash 'noodles' or spiralized zucchini.) Then a stir fry. Then a thai curry. Then 'poo poo on a shingle.' Then a bbq chicken salad. Then an asian chicken salad. Then a waldorf chicken salad on crackers. Then a curry chicken salad. Then 'tortilla soup.'

Between the sheer amount of whining here and in BFC sometimes, I have no idea how anything gets done.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I've had a terrible track record with rice cookers because I always burn them badly enough I'm like "poo poo this thing only cost 10-15 bucks - do I reallywant to clean this burnt layer of crap out of it?"
don't buy cheaply made rice cookers then?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

non-recyclable poo poo like vacuum seal freezer bags
plastic has been recyclable for a while, welcome to 2016

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't really buy it. The bird is leaking juices all over. There's plenty of steam in the oven. If you want to crisp up the skin by keeping it dry fine, but don't pour juice all over your crisp skin at the end!
if you're basting by just pouring the juices over the bird, you're doing it wrong. the skin would be crispy enough by the end that brushing juices on it wouldn't matter.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

:psyduck: Did that guy really go through my whole thread posting history to find a :killshot: regarding chinese duck? Sorry man, I've literally never seen duck in a grocery store except for ethnic markets. Especially not ever seen a whole-bird-including-the-head chinese style duck.

I did notice the other day that my favorite local latin market sells middle-eastern food as well as semi-obscure "latin" stuff like recaito. Gonna make some ridiculously cilantro-fied beans this week, and then check out that http://www.gazakitchen.com/ cookbook. I guess this is the same woman who did that episode on Anthony Bourdain's show in Palestine, but when the Conflict Kitchen tried to do a Palestinian menu with her, they literally received multiple death threats. wtc
A) it's just a matter of clicking the ? below your avatar
2) you're becoming insufferable with your hot takes on who's the thriftiest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I took your advice, and most of your posts are one-liners, and half of your posts itt are responding to me. Thanks!
insufferable: check
bad at math and/or fractions: check

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got fact-checked on fractions! :psyduck:
poo poo happens when you mouth off and get shown up for being smarmy and wrong.

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 27, 2017