Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Swapping out my parents comcast rented cable modem for something bought, there doesn't seem to be a lot of thread recommended options that will work for them.

25Mbps in the woods (when lucky) with telephony through the modem. Already have an airport extreme that's been going strong for six years and seems in no need of replacing, so the modem doesn't need wifi. An Arris TM822R seems about consistent with what I'd get to meet that need. Does that sound about right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Holy gently caress. Finding wall plates/covers/inserts is an enormous loving pain in the rear end. My options are to mix and match brands and hope it works, or spend $20/outlet + keystones.
Still looking for a decent 4-port insert for those decorative outlet covers...

https://www.monoprice.com/category/adapters-switches-and-splitters/wall-plates-and-keystones

I have never not found one I needed. A lot of the times they have a ready made plate that will have everything you want if youre willing to occasionally accept extras, and the rest of the time the modular stuff is sufficient.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The ceiling ones also come with the circular mounting plate which is a pretty common form factor. In the future a distant upgrade may require a different mounting plate of the same size, or more likely just be a snap in upgrade. I doubt the four screw pattern is going to change for the base. Unless some market guru decides that mounting circles with circles, or even squares with circles, is no longer sufficient and we must now mount our Ovals with high tech ~Octogons~

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Steakandchips posted:

Buy patch cables.

For long runs through walls, crimp the CAT6 into wall jacks.

Crimping RJ45's onto patch cables is for masochists.

???

A $25 tool off amazon and the process takes like 60 seconds per end.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Patch cables have come down in price but nothing beats just buying a 1000' spool and being set for a few years.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've been running Unifi for years now and have been generally happy with it. Older EdgerouterX in the basement splits out to 3 wired AP's and 1 AP in my yard shed on mesh. Currently running 3 VLANs, one extra for work and one for IoT.

1) One of my TV's has line of sight with the shed 100 feet away, and keeps switching from the AP 10 feet away to the shed AP on mesh and suddenly streaming tanks before it gives up and switches back. Without getting a Unifi Security Gateway is there anyway to establish some sort of static route to prevent that? TV specific VLAN?

2) I've been on the starlink waiting list for a while now and it looks like I should get it by the end of the year. Do I run a line from my roof all the way to the existing EdgerouterX in the basement to utilize the two WAN setup with load balancing, and then back to the existing cable to the second floor? Or can I put one router in the attic and leave the one in the basement and use two WAN that way and let them talk over the network to load balance?

3) The house was built with Cat5 + phone lines from the basement to the 4 bedrooms. I've been milking a 1000' spool of Cat6 for my projects, as they're all kept in the basement local to a rack in the corner where all that was ran originally. When I do pull a few new cables next month I was seriously considering pulling 6 strands of OM4 to my attic crawlspace and another 6 strands out to my shed. I have a cleaver and have access to a terminating kit I can get from work. Am I being dumb and over-satisfying my future proofing urge if I do that?

4) Should I just upgrade the edgerouterX? I've been wanting to get local 10Gb between my storage and my workstation.

e; I live in the woods and the link to the shed is to support an eventual barn workshop.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 6, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Thanks that helped. For some reason I hadn't thought of just an SSID on the same LAN, as i've only used it for VLANS

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Famethrowa posted:

Google wifi apparently also doesn't support vlan tagging so it might be time to abandon the little shits. I don't get why this super nice and functional mesh network simply can't handle being on a vlan.

You can have the edgerouter acting as the WAN gateway, and have an isolated port that passes traffic between the modem and the google device, without using a VLAN. The google device will just see the edgerouter as the same as the modem, and the actual modem will just see the edgerouter.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I, in a big brain moment, ran 6 strand OM1 when I was pulling other cables. Because screw cutting into your walls twice. 1000' was $250. Its unterminated and i'm pretty sure buying the ends and the corning cleavers and the tools will cost a ton if I ever need to use it, but its there for the future.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've finally got some more testing on the Dual WAN setup i've been working on. And as a networking idiot I figure someone here can either learn from or critique. As everything this network is advanced overkill for fun and education, in reality I could be fine with the original edgerouterX and single AP that I expanded this from. Actual relevant use case is I have a bunch of electronics dev boards plugged into and around the 24 port switch so I can test out FPGA/Arduino/RaspberryPi/etc builds without having to leave my desk. Next goal is to be able to do it remotely over VPN, and even have certain other friends also be able to remote into the electronics lab and load a build and then see the data logs pop off the oscilloscope.

WAN 1 is lovely cable internet, coming in through an Arris T25 (Massively overkill for the speeds I am offered in my area), which then passes through the PoE adapter to my EdgerouterX on eth0. eth0 is setup as a standard DHCP WAN port, and switch0 is again a standard 192.168.1.1/24 covering eth1, eth2, and eth3 (But I have 'VLAN Aware' off and I don't know if I should turn it on) and DHCP server covering 192.168.1.0/24

1st VLAN is for my work laptop and on tag 10 and switch0.10 at 10.10.10.1/24 and its own DHCP server covering 10.10.10.0/24, and DNS forwarding onto switch0.10. For the firewall rules I originally tried just have a drop rule pair for anything between address-group NETv4_switch0 and address-group NETv4_switch0.10 and that just made my work VPN break. I need to learn more about firewall rules now.

eth1 is currently the only connected downlink and goes to a USW-Pro-24. From there is a few other switches and APs, but we are concerned with the flex mini and AP in the attic.

the flex mini and pro-24 both have one of their ports tagged with a VLAN tag 20 themselves through the Unifi GUI, in the attic I've not got the Starlink router bypass to that port, which then passes it seamlessly down and out of the 24 port. This then gets plugged into the ERX eth4 interface which is also set up as a DHCP WAN. load-balance is turned on between eth0 and eth4, but no route-test options setup.

So far after about a week i've had great success with the actual function of it, and while starlink isn't great its a lot better than the cable internet I get here in the woods. Definitely need to figure out how to write good firewall rules though.

As far as I can tell the ERX is only loading for traffic at the network edges right? Anything internal from my NAS seems to go through the switches and APs without touching the router? Or am I just not looking in the right places to see that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Famethrowa posted:

I'm real sorry, I'm probably a moron and for the life of me I can't find documentation on what it means to be a WAN gateway: What configuration specifically would be handling this? Would it be setting a port(s) to be a Switch only edit: no of course its not... or is there some fancier voodoo going on?

A WAN gateway is the interface between your personal home network and the wider internet. Everything on the LAN (Local Area Network) side of the WAN (Wide Area Network) gateway has its own address, but on the whole they only have one IP that the WAN sees, and the gateway does the translation between them. To pass the modem to your google device like you described you should just be able to setup a simple static route and take the plug for the google mesh off of your other collection of switched interfaces, and then it won't be on a VLAN like you were having problems with.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'd say find an UDM or an EdgerouterX from another vendor, but almost everyone is out of stock, or use your current router with the NanoHD and all unifi access points, you don't need everything to be unifi for it to work

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That almost sounds like its your ISP rather than the edgerouter.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
OM1 is fine for that, if you want to run it anyway. The spec is 10G at 33m.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've got a tangental question: What are people actually using these massive wireless uplinks for?

I've got 4 switches and 5 access points, handling all the usual Plex Server and networked storage plus work stuff. I've got a ton of devices on the network. But the only time I ever even noticed speeds was trying to transfer multi-GB simulation result files from my VMs to my workstation. And even for that case it was always an intermittent thing that didn't really effect my workflow but just made me notice something not being instantaneous. I ran a 10G link for that because i'm a nerd and I could, but even just a gigabit Cat6 would have been more than enough. Yeah i'm sure you'll see a status bar when trying to move those 65GB linux ISOs :rolleyes: but we have software that handles all that in the background and there is never time critical need for stuff like that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Manager Hoyden posted:

I have a wifi problem in a very large remote building. This place is in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere, and we need full wifi coverage. Right now we use a data hotspot out there and it does in fact work very well but only covers about a fifth of the area needed.

We're not looking for great internet speeds but we are looking for great network speeds between devices. I would assume the easiest solution would be a mesh wifi setup, but I am confused about whether it would be better to get one that supports 4G LTE itself or just plug the existing hotspot (netgear mr-1100) into a standard one. And also which brand/model to buy of course.

So I live in the woods myself and I've got a dual WAN hookup through both starlink (mediocre) and my local cable provider (slow and overpriced). You've got many similar options for getting some sort of internet uplink to your building. Whatever you use, you'll want to pipe it to a router and local access points. Hardwire what you can. You will still always be limited in your connectivity to the outside world by whatever your using as your WAN provider. But even common networking gear will give you excellent speeds within the building itself. I am currently unaware of a commercial mesh product that does all-in-one routing/5G LTE hotspot/wifi well. For large locations you're really going to want to use dedicated boxes for the internet connection, routing, and switching to your wifi access points.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 12, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I still have yet to connect any of my Ubiquiti gear to anything cloud based and at this point i've got a lot of it.

I hate clouds

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You should buy RJ-45's with the shield tab instead of the plain clear plastic ones and run shielded the whole way.

however you don't really need those speeds for cameras, even crappy cat5 will give you 100mbps, so you can just skip that and it will still work for the video feed. Hopefully you've got 24ga wire for the PoE to not lose too much power over the distance.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PurpleButterfly posted:

- I would like the coax cable drops in my living room and office to each have their own cable modem; I'm pretty tired of the Cat5 cable running down the hall.

It sounds like your place is small enough that one AP could easily give you good 5Ghz speeds throughout, or you do one hardwired AP and one AP with wireless backhaul. Both are simple. Big apartment buildings aren't great for powerline adapters as there is almost no isolation from unit to unit.

palindrome posted:

- How should the basement cables be terminated? Why would one choose to terminate to a punch down panel, as opposed to an RJ45 to RJ45 panel (after searching I think this is a feedthrough panel)?

Its easier to terminate in wall cable to punchdown female RJ-45's than it is to terminate them to male RJ-45's because then you'd need female to male extensions or cables to plug them into anything. So you terminate them to punchdown females and then run 1-2 ft patch cables to your actual equipment. Makes it flexible and reconfigurable.

In wall stuff is female to female, hand held stuff is male to male. All equipment is all female.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

palindrome posted:

Electricians are doing the crimping, and it's already paid for. They have the 1000 ft cat6-a roll and said, "we'll do male ends on the basement panel." This made me think, why not? It does seem unusual based on what I've seen at work but I don't know if there is a downside. We need to tell them:
1) "fine, go ahead and put male RJ45 plugs in the basement which will go to the panel"
or
2) "No, leave it un-terminated and we will punch it down to a panel later"

I say its a terrible idea

My basement panel was moved 8 feet to a new location with a new server rack. If you terminate everything male that screws you over, but if you terminate everything female you can just use 1/3/6/10 ft cables as needed. Why can't the electricians punch it down to a female panel? From my experience its faster and less finicky than male crimps.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Punchdowns, even cat 6a, are very easy. I gently caress up 10x as much on the RJ45s

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Pekinduck posted:

Cheap is the priority, we'd be willing to invest in one-time costs but want to keep the monthly bill low. This is in an urban area, all the regular options should be available. "janky solution for a couple hundred" sounds up our alley lol.

The iphone at the root of this setup is sitting on a table in a semi-underground concrete cube. Theyres a lot of room for improvement. I could mount an antenna outside no problem.

If you're in an urban area, and taking payment from customers is how you run a business, you can get a landline internet run. Then from there a router linked to one or two access points. Depending on the size of the space.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For myself, now that the UXG-Pro has had some time to get into the market, its time to finally replace my Edgerouter. For anyone who has used one, can a UXG be setup without any of the cloud stuff? That was a big issue with the dream machines last year right? I want to keep my current local unifi console deployment

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I have found some cheap devices that won't do auto-negotiation, and just do 100 or give up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I was lucky enough that we got fiber run on our street after years of nothing but trash speed cable.

The test off the new NVG468MQ directly gave me the spec'd gigabit 940/940mbps and the VOIP phone service.

Routing from the ONT to my ERX also gave me the spec'd speed.

However If I put the provided Arris into either bridgemode or pass along the WAN through DMZ, the phone line no longer works

Another big problem, which I suspect is on my unifi/ERX configuration, is that upload's get limited to 30Mbps when I have the rest of the network connected. Maybe something to do with my pihole? I'm scratching my head on that.

Anyways i'm thinking there must be some fuckery that can occur so that I can forward the VOIP traffic from the Arris into my ERX and onto the ONT by faking out the Arris's WAN port.

Any input for what I should look into for solving that upload issue and/or rerouting the VOIP service?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Rescue Toaster posted:

Have you tried just plugging the Arris WAN port straight into the ERX LAN and see if it works? The Arris itself would be doing double-NAT, but if the VOIP still works and nothing else is plugged into the Arris, who gives a poo poo?

If that works, and you wanted to isolate/control it further, yeah put it on a VLAN with a dedicated port on your switch and you could keep the Arris completely isolated from everything else.

You know, sometimes I over think things. That worked without any additional configuration. Only issue is somehow it goes to virtual voice mail on incoming calls occassionally.

Now to troubleshoot that odd 30mbps upload.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You might get gigabit on the existing wire. Why upgrade? Is there any place where you absolutely need gigabit?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I really like my Brady M210

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

kliras posted:

try graphing it with pingplotter

For such a simple application I'm really curious if there is some github repo with an open source equivalent. Unless what they are selling you is a target server they own that you can ping away at without annoying anyone?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Rescue Toaster posted:

Have you tried just plugging the Arris WAN port straight into the ERX LAN and see if it works? The Arris itself would be doing double-NAT, but if the VOIP still works and nothing else is plugged into the Arris, who gives a poo poo?

If that works, and you wanted to isolate/control it further, yeah put it on a VLAN with a dedicated port on your switch and you could keep the Arris completely isolated from everything else.

So Two Month Later update:

This works most of the time, and reliably improved after I made sure it had a static IP.

But it still just decides to sometimes not work. Outgoing always seems fine, and I suspect that whenever I make an outgoing connection it forces it to resolve. But now and then it will just stop acknowledging incoming calls and it will say the number is not available. I think this might be a port issue rather than a VLAN issue?

Issue two persists, where I can get symmetrical up/down on the ONT & ERX directly, but when I plug in the rest of my LAN it drops to ~250Mbps upload, even if I conduct the speed test directly from a device plugged into the ER-X. Maybe something with my VLANs or firewall? My firewall rules are comical in their novice implementations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Crimping has become substantially easier in the last decade with the widespread adoption of multi piece rj45s where you preload the little guide piece before sliding it into the plug for crimping. Used to be you had to try to load the bite two or three times before crimping because one wire or another would always jump to a different position at the last possible moment.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've been running Ubiquiti for years now and I think the premium was worth it. YMMV. I don't use any of the cloud stuff. All my devices have great roaming among the APs. I really enjoy the local web GUI. And i've been slowly learning about all the features and tools beyond just VLANs and Dual WAN that I originally set up. Their discord is also good for getting question responses.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So i've got UAC-AP-Pro's, and they've been able to handle roaming with own ~15 wireless devices and had no problem handing around 14 guests on holidays.

I think in your case you may either be overloading a single AP with too many concurrent connections, or your router isn't able to handle all the traffic generated.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Muir posted:

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll stick with Ubiquiti except for the basic uncontrolled switch and POE+ switch. Can you let me know if this topology makes sense?

_______________________________________/ Uncontrolled 8 port switch ______\ ____________ / Cat6 to various keystone jacks in various rooms of the house
Cable Modem -> Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X ----------------------------------------------------------- Patch panel --
_______________________________________\ Uncontrolled 4 port POE+ switch / ____________ \ Cat6 to various keystone jacks in various rooms of the house -- Ubiquiti U6 Pro units

There's a UniFi 8 port or a 16 port that each have 1/2 of their ports being POE+, why have a separate 8 and 4 port?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
After months of intermittent fiddling I may have finally resolved my phone issue.

In my ERX, the system/conntrack/modules/sip was still default enabled. So it would do its thing and every few hours when the ISP pinged it, it would remap the ip and the ISP would assume the phone was disconnected. No incoming calls would work until an outgoing call was made to "wake up" the link.

Hopefully I'll know for sure over the next day or so.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Wait since when have unifi firewalls been poo poo? I can understand if you put in bad rules, but the hardware itself has been solid for me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Everything will be some mix of more expensive, more work, or more likely to fail than just sticking with icloud for your use case.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The number the speed test gives you is technically human perception :pseudo:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yes, but they install the modem, and from there it still has to go to a router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I haven't used one, but does the Dream Router have a switch like the ERX where you can turn off all the DPI and security to bump the guarenteed 700 Mbps on the WAN port up to a full gigabit?

Still might be worth it though because you rarely get the rated speed (eg my Gigabit maxes out at 930), and Unifi is a lot more powerful than any of the awful Netgear software. If you're going to plug it in and not touch it for 5 years and don't care about all the added security auditing the dream router will do the Orbi is fine.