Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Luminous Obscurity posted:

So it looks like its Dirk - LOPAN(eon), Roxy - LOTAK(rypton), Jake - LOMAX(enon).

Count me disappointed that Roxy doesn't get the totes sweet nightclub planet.

It's brilliant that two of these abbreviations are also the names of characters from goofy B-movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

RedMagus posted:

Horribly goony of me to say, but am I the only one dissapointed there's no LOTAX planet?

No, I was going to put this in my last post but then I edited it out. Or rather "Yes, I was going to put this in my last post but then I edited it out."

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I assume it's doing something like the script I used to make this ugly thing (2 years ago...):

http://home.earthlink.net/~omnomnomnivore/pesterloglog.html

(It uses chat names + color codes to uniquely identify characters).

The Aradia sprite was a bit offputting, but everything else in the update was great. I'm beyond excited for more.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

I looked at the A6I3 art credits and the person who made the goofy Aradia sprite is apparently the same person who made the pretty excellent Porrim sprite. Huh.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Dolash posted:

Where can you possibly go, psychologically, from Bec Noir? His whole motivations right now just seems to be "destroy everything!", he bounces across universes and dimensions and the only thing you can be sure of is he will try to slaughter whatever he finds there. He doesn't even seem to want to rule or anything, I mean he blew up troll Derse and killed anyone he came across on the Battlefield even after WV's rebellion.

Jack Noir's motivations in general are kind of hard to pin down. Would all of them start exploding planets if they could, or is Bec Noir particularly deranged, maybe from the ring or something? What do they want out of life besides not having to be arch-agent any more and killing the black queen? The constant stabbing thing is funny and all but it kind of makes it hard to pin down a character that's anything other than a psycho murderer.

A character that's a game construct and a chess analogue doesn't necessarily have to be anything other than a psycho murderer, although I agree in wanting some more development for the different Jacks.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

JT Jag posted:

It'd probably be quicker for him to use that Thank You stamp with his face on it.

It's hard to use the "You're Welcome" stamp on a CD or flash drive.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Bobulus posted:

So, I have never cosplayed, and never really considered it.

But for the first time in a long while, I'm living in a neighborhood where kids trick or treat. And I'm considering answering the door and giving out candy while wearing troll horns or something. Just to see if any of the kids comment.

I've got a Selpulcritude shirt. I guess I could answer the door as Hussie in badly-applied troll cosplay. All I'd need is some all-white contacts.

Someone talk me out of this.

Can I talk you into it instead?

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Spellman posted:

Hussie's been watching Breaking Bad.

Now we know why the updates are taking so long. That poo poo is addictive.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

This update is the best update. I like Gamzee and all but I just sort of... let it play for a while.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

MrBims posted:

Breakfast of Champions? Andrew Hussie probably learned everything he knows about fictional writing from Kurt Vonnegut.

I was going to say exactly this, Vonnegut's been my favorite author for years and Hussie is basically him with more Nic Cage references.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Somehow Jane's practical dress sense makes her super endearing to me. No big whoop, just some shorts and a tshirt to wear to this birthday party.

Jane is wearing Ethan's loving baseball shirt from Ctrl+Alt+Del.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Jim the Nickel posted:

A little late, but god drat, Ke$hastuck is hilarious

Finally, someone let him out of his cage.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

This is about to be beautiful.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

This is literally the best single update in all of Homestuck.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Hussie on Caliborn tearing down Hussie as Hussie tearing down Caliborn in the instruction manual is beautiful.

As a side not, anyone interested in a few pictures from Phoenix Comic Con? During the hiatus I met Hussie and stuff.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Sure. I was going to ask what everyone did during the hiatus anyway. I was actually productive. Did some actual adult-person-type-stuff. Didn't get any fan-projects done, though.

I showed up to CC with forums goon/best friend Brohemian Rhapsody. I had already had my SBaHJ book signed when I ordered it. Regardless, he said he could always enhance it and drew me some original Hella Jeff artwork:

Afterward I whipped out my phone and took an ironic selfie. First time I've ever seen the man smile. For the curious, yes; I am dressed as Aquaman.

Here's a bonus picture of him vaguely menacing me with a toy shotgun.

2022 edit: removed personally identifying info!

VERY COOL MAN fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 8, 2023

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Koosery posted:

This interlude can be read as commentary on Homestuck's age. Caliborn's hard mind, and visual style of constructing images from right angles (which is one of the best figures in Homestuck since it ties together platonic idealism, abstraction, and pixels all at once) evoke how an experience, if it's to last, must be made of pieces that can be recreated. Whether the building blocks are words, or universal symbols, or archetypes, or pixels, only some limited form can survive. But the story becomes new again, when our intuition fills in the gaps, gives it color, rounds it out.

At least that would happen if this weren't in the POV of someone incapable of all that. The story of Homestuck remains inert, simplified symbols where life never goes. The point where an idea is so distant or small that even though your mind conceives it, it exists outside your mind. Much like Homestuck would be to someone who tried to read act 1 then quit (which lets Hussie double up and use Caliborn as an audience surrogate too).

Of course, above that layer is self-criticism, since Homestuck should implicitly not have gone on long enough for its beginning to become a misinterpreted historical document before the end's reached.

Sometimes I wonder how, when Hussie is preternaturally aware of so much, he completely missed one of the most important things.

I love you too Koos :syoon:

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Line Feed posted:

Well ladies and gentlemen, it's official. John is no longer Homestuck.

The whole blurry business has felt like an homage really but I think the phrase "unstuck in existence" is close enough to Slaughterhouse-Five's "unstuck in time" to officially count as Homestuck's first Kurt Vonnegut reference. Heartwarming, considering he's my favorite author.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

This is the greatest thing that could have happened.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Well that update was weird as gently caress. I almost never think about MSPA except for when I'm reading it but earlier today it popped into my head and I was thinking "huh, I wonder what was ever up with the crazy Jade that blew herself up" and bam, after no mention of it since it occurred, today's update is delving into that version of Jade. Fuckin' creepy.

Hey so um... avatars. Did anyone want one? It's been almost forever and I have to reinstall swf decompiler and photoshop but MSPA is back so why not celebrate with some AV-replacing, right?

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

You forgot Vriska (Vriska)

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I've been trying to create my own ParadoxSpace comics, however I haven't yet thought up anything funny.

That's okay; neither did they.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

i have a post on the first page of this godforsaken fuckin thread somehow

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

homestuck did not end, ending implies closure

homestuck stopped

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Koos Goop posted:

Homestuck.

no

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wow I just cant care anymore :geno:

this. might play it because i literally already bought it but like i'm not even slightly excited

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Bogart posted:

I wish Homestuck ended with the Scratch.

i wish homestuck ended

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

its a good thing for archival purposes but very weird to be part of said small community. i have a post on the first page of this thread & its so old i still used something like proper punctuation

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Cavatica posted:

Half serious: the full detective pony fan work is probably more canon than the epilogues, at least in the sense that it doesn't contradict the web comic as much.

In true seriousness, I think one of the things that blurred what counts as canon for me is a combination of how the comic started as a series of fan commands, how other creators were involved almost from the start and certainly towards the end, and the overall context of how many references there were to Hussie's other works.

Even if I drew the line at the web comic itself, that would be a valid reading and it would be a complete story, but it wouldn't feel as... contextually complete without at least acknowledging where some of the more out there references came from.

its not even just this. the comic is littered with contextual debris, like sweet bro & hella jeffs entire art style & format being cribbed from hussie's dunk on one specific penny arcade forums user. you dont need to know this to enjoy the comic but at the same time in 2010 as a serial reader its kind of assumed you would

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Kazy posted:

You're not getting the era-appropriate experience of downloading a random .exe off of 4chan and having it ping you at 2AM when the site updated.

ideally playing an embarrassingly specific annoying joke gif and/or mp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Kazy posted:

Digging through my old hosting, I found a couple of these:

Also have this decade+ old meme:

oh gently caress this rules. i need to go spelunk in some old HDDs