Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

atomicthumbs posted:

help me I cannot stop laughing just at the thought of a ten minute montage of Bro/Ben Stiller falling down stairs, and I'm afraid to read the rest of it

I would have thought Snoop Dogg would be the obvious choice for Geromy but Donald Glover would just be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

dumb brunette posted:

Wait, what if UU is this Earth's (or another world's?) First Guardian through having the genetic code combined with a troll. Explains how Mom's void powers nullify the monitoring, explains the trolltag (UU has been previously associated with Bec -- Unbreakable Union, Umbral Ultimatum), explains the lime-green. Doesn't explain why she's not a servant of Lord English, though.

EDIT: This is obviously a really longshot guess and would require a lot of lying on UU's part :v:

This was actually my first instinct because of the chumhandle, and because her writing sort of reminds of Doc Scratch's in how formal it seems. But I think it's more likely she's a player from the final universe, the one this session will create. I remain slightly suspicious of her, though.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

President Ark posted:

Something I noticed: In these ads, virtually everything has the Betty Crocker logo on it, with the implication this one corporation owns literally everything.

Also the olive garden "feeding chamber".

Except for Olive Garden, all of those brands are owned by Betty Crocker in real life. http://www.bettycrocker.com/products

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Yeah but A2 also succeeded in summoning Lord English.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Yeah, I can see not liking the chatlogs because of the typing quirks, but otherwise it's basically just word balloons taken off the panel and placed underneath instead.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"huh, tl;dr. I'd rather this conversation was drawn, as is what I would kind of expect from a webcomic"

It should be noted that basically the entire point of Homestuck is to be what you don't expect from a webcomic.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Anyone else hope that we're going to be formally introduced to Bro tomorrow and Mom on Sunday? It's gonna be their birthdays. :3:

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

She would, but dreamselves take on the wounds of the realselves. With no other player around to corpsesmooch her, her dreamself would quickly die as well.

edit: of course I was beaten

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

We haven't heard anything about the life of B2-Jade, have we? Jane mentioned that they're all related to someone famous. John was a comedian, Rose is an author and Dave is a director. I'm curious to know about Jade now.

Doc Uzuki posted:

We all suffer from a severe septomin deficiency, so we have to make do with just M.A.T.H.

This is the best reference. :hfive:

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

You can also try some of Andrew's older comics. I would recommend And It Don't Stop because A) it's great and B) you will suddenly understand Dirk's life.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Well, I too managed to hack together a song just before the deadline. It's a strife theme for Sollux.

I have no talent with any real instruments, so this was made with software instruments in GarageBand. It took a long time because I kept fiddling with the instrumentation and relatives volumes to try to get a sound I liked. I'm not really happy with the drum line because I generally have no idea what to do with drums, but I'm still fairly proud of it.
I am very new at putting music together on a computer. Any tips on how to improve would be appreciated.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've only been writing music for a few months, so clearly the right thing to do was enter a contest that's going to have professional musicians in it.

I did three, and sent them in a couple of days ago because my continual fiddling stopped improving them.

Hephaestus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-1

Cetus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-2

Typhaeus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-3

I like the Typheus one the best. It reminds me of Molgera from Wind Waker (who is indeed a bigass flying snake) but calmer, more contemplative.. Which is good because the confrontation with Typheus is more about the choice than a fight.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

Thanks! I like yours too. It reminds me a bit of the music from the megaman games for some reason.

Well thank you! And I was pretty heavily inspired by Megaman classic and X games, they're pretty much my favourite video game tunes. I even directly referenced the song for (what else) Gemini Man.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

I haven't laughed this hard at an update since.... well since the last Roxy chat. Every single line is golden.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Eh, if it is just straight-up souls though, then Nepeta's class never really made any sense at all, unless she was even less useful than I thought (and I didn't think she was very useful at all).

Heart may not precisely equal love, but it's definitely part of it.

Though if Dirk's role *is* to destroy souls, and he latches onto the guy who is constantly hitting us in the face with his seemingly sub-conscious Lord English references, Act 6 may actually end much sooner than we were expecting.

The aspect may present itself in a different way for different classes. As Light players, Vriska was all about being the luckiest, while Rose's powers are geared more toward guiding her team towards their destined path. If Light can encompass both "luck" and "fate" (different, but related, concepts) then I don't see why Heart can't mean both "love" and "soul".

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

I think it's supposed to be Vriska's colour, not Terezi's.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Starmaker posted:

I've been reading this comic from the start, and sporadically kept up with the fan base, but I didn't even know the wolf head was a fandom thing. It's a fandom thing?

Not the wolf thing specifically, but Andrew's interlude/rant at that point was a response to fandom people whining about how long Hivebent was taking.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

tinaun posted:

They are pesterlogs within the update.

So many things to learn:

Land of Crypts and Helium, with other three being LOPAN, LOTAK, LOMAX (probably jake)
Jane's consorts have been dead for millions of years.
All B2 kids dreamselves are going to die?! :ohdear:

All four kids' consorts are going to be dead, it looks like. "One by one, the Nobles will come, only to find the remains of those who worshipped them and paved the way for their arrival."

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Haha, the text boxes were messed up and cut off at the bottom for me, so I didn't even realize there was a clue on one of the tablets. I just brute forced the solution. Gonna have to redo it when it's more stable.

So uh, did Jake just die, is that why his lantern is out? I thought it was just for his dreamself but then he got hit in the head so I don't know.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

quote:

iT WAS COOL BEING ALIVE AGAIN FOR A WHILE, aS A STRANGE UNSETTLING MUTANT,

Only Tavros could come out of that.... experience.... with a positive attitude. And this line is just killing me.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

The ring in this session doesn't even have any prototype orbs, it's just a plain golden band.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Mortal Sword posted:

Now that it's been released, I can talk about whatever, yeah. The new stuff was mostly in the realm of experimenting with page layouts, backgrounds, and the like, especially when it came to the more action-oriented animations. There were far more opportunities to mess around with stuff like that in Book 2, with the increasing use of flash in the comic itself, and I expect Book 3 will probably have even more in that regard, what with all the Strifes. The initial draft of Book 3 alone took over 10 hours longer to assemble than Book 2's.

Here's a couple screenshots directly from my InDesign doc for Book 2, just to illustrate some examples:

It's always hard to gauge book length for these Acts before they're actually laid out, since you have some spots where 8 pages of the comic will take up only 2 book pages, and situations where one comic page will take up 20 book pages (like the walkaround flash at the beginning of Act 2).

I just got my copy at TCAF and I have to say you did a really great job on the flash pages and the SBaHJ pages. (Is that something that needs to be spoiled?) Plus this page. It's just... majestic.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Did anyone else go to TCAF and see the oil painting of Hussie? Ryan North commissioned it, because of course he did.
Here's my lovely cell phone pic of it:

I have no doubt that this will show up in the comic somehow.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

quote:

You were pretty smooth about it, offering to light her cigarette during a calculated pause. And she doesn't even smoke. You're just that good. While you were making your smooth pitch, you did a masterful job of giving her the impression that you didn't care much one way or the other.

DD now stands for Don Draper.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

I don't know if this should go in this thread or the fanart thread or the Portal thread, but someone's created a Sendificator for Portal 2 maps. It's a pretty cool puzzle mechanic.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Blood Nightmaster posted:

It's possible their names were just different in that instance of Earth. It's implied that pre-scratch Jane's birth name was literally Nanna Harley here, so who knows about the other alpha kid's B1 counterparts and how they were raised. That, and what Jake is saying is an awful lot of crap to parse through anyway--the mention of juggalos was probably just the last thing Dave could catch and comment on.

For what it's worth, Hussie actually refers to Nanna as Jane and Mom as Roxy in the annotations for book 2.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

If I'm ever feeling down, and I need some motivation, all I have to do is put on Heir Conditioning and turn the volume way up.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Dolash posted:

I always figured that Sburb reseeds the host planet with carapace life just as a form of tidying-up. If it weren't for things like Bec Noir and Lord English, after all, universes wouldn't be destroyed after they successfully reproduce. Sburb doesn't appear to have a built-in mechanic to destroy universes after they've succeeded at the game, so leaving the dead planet with a new population ties up a loose end. Who knows, maybe they have the means to revive the race that used to live there? We know very little about what the carapaces are intended to do.

They do have appearifiers that can produce paradox slime, it's entirely possible that there's some ectobiology equipment stashed away somewhere we've never seen.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Also, since we've been talking a lot about the symbolism of suns and eyes, I'd forgotten about the time that we got both:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005738

There's another time: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005534
And did Vriska ever have the same sun-in-the-eye thing? I feel like she did but I can't find it.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Everyone listen to Radiation's PageOfMelody's chiptune remix of Megalovania and a bunch of other songs. It's way rad.

ooops I don't know how Tumblr works

Dark Grapefruit fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 27, 2012

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

The most rabid fans already consider Andrew Hussie's scribblings to be secondary in importance to their own vast web of headcanon fanfics. Homestuck will never die. Years from now, while we are all enjoying Year 3 of And It Don't Stop II, Homestuck will still be getting dragged through the remains of tumblr. And as an aging asexual soulbonder reblogs the latest human-pony-fem-Eridan/schoolgirl-Fallout-furry-John slash fic, Homestuck will pray for its own death. But as sweet release continues to be denied Homestuck will only be able to curse the name of the creator who forsook it.

It's the only thing Hussie can never kill. :(

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Looks like it's finally slowing down for the night, just shy of half a million dollars.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

I find it incredibly appropriate that the trolls people have spent $10k on are both seadwellers, Alternia's 1%.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

What if we cut away right now.

Bongo Bill posted:

It's the Land of Sand and Zephyr, Tavros' land, where we last saw the ghosts of Tavros and Vriska, and which only Tavros and Vriska spent any noteworthy amount of time on.

It won't be a beta Vriska, because there was no beta Vriska. Her duel with Jack wasn't in a beta timeline, it was just in Terezi's vision of a possible future. Nor have we met such a Vriska, which you bet we would have if it were going to be important. In practical terms there'd be no difference in perspective or knowledge between a Vriska who was killed by Terezi and one who was killed by Jack.

Among other things, she's going to (at least try to) relay beta John's message about what Typheus told him. Beta John is double dead and only Vriska knows of the encounter with Typheus now, which is how you know it's going to be important. You haven't forgotten about the denizens, have you?

Although I agree it's not going to be a beta, there are hundreds of betas of every troll thanks to Aradia constantly abandoning timelines.

Dark Grapefruit fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 9, 2012

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

The Internet is kinda like that, too. If you talk about fictional characters enough, people start creating fanart of them. The "Homestuck Anime" thing would be a relevant example.

Or Dr. Brinner, the fake MSPA people made up to parody Hussie's tendency to create extremely labyrinthine plots. And that was back in Act 3, which was such a simpler time!
It still has a TVTropes page and it got a shoutout in comic here.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Link for the lazy: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail118.html

Other webcomics that have done the "break the layout" thing: Prequel, Unsounded, probably some others I'm forgetting.

Starslip Crisis had a broken page like this to represent the characters escaping the timeline. Unfortunately it no longer works properly since the site layout was changed. At the time, the in-panel arrow buttons were clickable.
And of course Kris Straub's older comic Checkerboard Nightmare was built on fourth wall shenanigans.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Y'all are paranoid, I have not had one person try to talk to me about Homestuck upon seeing my record shirt.

I want the Void shirt. Equius and Roxy, Void supremacy.

Dolash posted:

Oh jesus, I could actually see this being a thing. I was already expecting the possibility of a false ending (the way dreambubbles start with the character waking up in them thinking the memory is real seems like a great setup for what appears to be an epilogue to turn out to be an illusion), but Caliborn/Lord English to take on the seven act structure itself? That'd be something.

And then Vriska defeats him and we launch into Act 8: Vriskatime Forever.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

I can't believe I remember this but I know exactly why Tumblr people think Roxy is trans. It's because of her introduction.

quote:

The final two chromosomic symbols have been released from their fluffy, twitching prison.

Yes, people actually interpreted this as meaning Roxy is biologically male.

Bongo Bill posted:

This doesn't exactly explain what purpose dimorphism served on Beforus, but I kinda don't care.

The trolls need to have gender for the simple reason that some Sburb classes are coded to be male or female exclusive.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Bobulus posted:

More importantly, why is today "a big day" for Derse? Hopefully not, like Dad Execution Day or something.

I imagine the Condesce knows about the kids arriving and has some sort of plan. It would explain why she kidnapped Roxy today and not any time in the past five months.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

Bobulus posted:

If past actions are any precedent, Dirk standing on the edge of the room means he's sleeping. Probably getting all sorts of intel that he won't bother to share with anyone else, because he's kind of a control freak.

Except he's down to one life now. Technically he already committed suicide. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

toxic8aker posted:

I want everything to keep ramping up for a infinitely recursive Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 Act 6[...] EOA6/climatic end flash. :getin:

I hope it keeps going until Caliborn takes a crowbar to the act curtains themselves.