Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

yamdankee posted:

Has anyone tried the Siri inspired Iris? Still being improved upon, but it seems to work pretty well.

I used this over the weekend on my rooted Thunderbolt.

It kept crashing on me on my 2nd attempt to say something to it. It was weird, it would work for the first time, I would hit the button to say something else, and it would just loop and loop over and over again. I wasn't able to get out of the program either - had to pop the battery out.

Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Just putting it out there that Out of Milk is $$$, and awesome. I friggin' love that app.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm having issues with WidgetLocker.

I bought/downloaded it when I found out I can have the ICS lockscreen on my Thunderbolt. So I set everything up, and it LOOKS great, but it's just super clunky. It takes a while for it to unlock, and turning the screen on/off takes a longer time for it to come up.

I know it's because of WL, because when I removed it, everything went back to normal.

For what it's worth, I'm running CM7.1.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Couch Life posted:

I don't know what's up with Widgetlocker but whenever I use it it takes like 2-4 seconds before I can actually unlock the phone. This doesn't happen with the stock lockscreen so I'm at a loss. Running a version of CM7 on Thunderbolt but it's happened with different ROMs as well.

Had this same problem. Switched to the latest SoaB Sense ROM and it works $$$.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
So, I'm going to be getting a Galaxy Nexus whenever the gently caress it comes out, but I've got my current Thunderbolt rooted. I've got Titanium Backup (paid for), but I didn't purchase it through the Market -- I got a .txt file on my SD with it that acts as the license key. How will this work with the GNex if it doesn't have any removable storage?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Codiusprime posted:

I tried to switch to a different browser and everything else is just so, loving, slow. Feels like someone poured molasses on my phone. I'm just holding out for the ICS browser.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much. I'm right there with ya on sine of its weird quirks.

The one thing I hate about Opera Mobile is the menu takes up like half the screen. It just seems weird, and not very Android like.

I, too, am holding out for the ICS browser, but using Opera Mobile at the moment.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
x-posting from Android device thread:

Well, Google Wallet failed on me last night, just as I had feared that it would!

I had added an add'l $20 to the Google prepaid card bringing my prepaid amount to $30. I then got a bunch of poo poo and walked up to the register. The clerk rang everything up, and gave me the total. I unlocked my phone (VZW GN) and placed the back of the phone up to the PayPass thingy. I felt a magnetic pull, and thought Wallet would popup and ask me for my PIN but alas! Tried it a couple more times until I got frustrated and just used my debit card.

Couple of things to note: I swapped the battery yesterday to my new extended battery from VZW. That could've done it. I also noticed that I had low signal (3G) when I was in the store, so that could've been it as well, but I don't know.

Just reporting my findings.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So I use and like aCar for tracking car related expenses. I absolutely loathe his copy protection bullshit (Pro via paypal, unregistering and reregistering devices). Between all the phone changing and root fuckery I do it's a pain in the rear end to get it all set up and going again.

Is there another comparable app I should be looking at? Most everything I've glanced through looks like rear end.

If you're looking at doing strictly fuel, I'd recommend Fuelly (https://www.fuelly.com).

It's a web-based MPG calculator, with a mobile interface (http://m.fuelly.com). I used to use aCar as well, but it was loving annoying. Fuelly is cool though.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

beedeebee posted:

How do I stop all my album art from showing up in my image gallery? It's really annoying.

Add a file named '.nomedia' in the root directory of your Music folder.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

beedeebee posted:

Is there an alternative for Google Music? I'd love to try it, but it isn't available in my country :(

Can't you sideload the APK?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

taste posted:

Are there any other mail apps out there other than K9? It's good but I don't need all the features and it does a weird thing where it shows notifications for emails I just deleted. I just want something simple. Something like the stock Mail client that comes on vanilla phones (the stock mail client on my Skyrocket is poo poo, mostly because there are no checkboxes).

Enhanced E-Mail is what you want.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What do you guys recommend for web-based note taking apps that sync with Android?

Bonus if it has a Chrome extension. I'm currently using Evernote, but it's...too much for what I need, if that makes sense. Plus the Evernote Chrome extension doesn't really like to work for me.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Tasks recently launched on the Play Store and I REALLY like it a lot.

It's an app that was specifically created to sync with Google Tasks. It looks like a native Android app, from the Holo theme right down to the icon and widget.

It's very smooth and doesn't lag down my Nexus S running ICS at all.

It's on sale right now until May at $0.99. The developers state that it's a significant price drop compared to the normal price, so I got it now.

They have a free version which has the ads disabled for 10 days. Both have the same functionality, one just has ads and the other doesn't.

I used the free version for about 2 hours before I just upgraded to the paid. The free one had one ad start showing before I uninstalled it. It really broke the "default Google app" illusion for me. Plus, it's $1. Best $1 I've spent so far this year.

I think, if Google does want to make a Google Tasks app, they should just buy out this one or something.

It doesn't look like you can scroll with the widget yet, but that's fine as I don't generally have many tasks on my list anyway. It's still pretty functional otherwise and I don't see why it wouldn't be included in a future update.

How does this compare to something like Astrid? Have you used Astrid?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've used Astrid, GTasks, Agenda Widget, and Any.DO. Out of those, I'd say that Tasks looks the best and performs the best for me on my phone.

For me, the features in the other apps just got in the way as I never used them. Would I want Google to pay more attention to Tasks and add more to it like Last-in-Line said? I wouldn't mind that but, for right now, Tasks is perfect for what I need which is a simple to-do list with nothing added in like a grocery list or something(even though I do use Out of Milk for groceries as it has more features that revolve around groceries).

Thanks for responding.

This looks really good, so I'll probably pick it up the full version for $.99. My main problem with the other 'Tasks' programs were the widgets, and how they didn't really blend with ICS. However, with this one, it's clean as poo poo, and really looks nice.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How does Drive work with other files besides Docs? Things like my TrueCrypt volume, etc.

That'd be awesome if I could get access to it on my phone.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I've got that fixed. I'm really working hard to get a new version out this weekend...

Please let us know when it's out, I'm anxiously awaiting it as well :)

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm trying to download the latest CM9 nightly on my GNex using ROM Manager, and the download keeps failing.

It's been doing this for several nightlies now. Is there something wrong with the app, or is it the server?

I've tried clearing the app cache & data to no avail.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
When it comes to browsers, are people using Chrome or ICS Browser+ on ICS?

edit: FWIW, I just found out about Browser+ and it seems worlds faster than Chrome on my CDMA GNex (running CM9).

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 23, 2012

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Kazy posted:

Is there anything that can stream my TV tuner from my PC other than Orb? They seem to update way too infrequently for me to spend $10 on (in addition to the fact that I already spent $10 in the iOS store).

Plex would do it. You run a server at home and serve your media out.

It's $.99 right now on the Amazon App Store.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think Plex supports TV tuners, much less streaming them to the Android app. Am I wrong?

Oh, I was thinking about streaming media that a TV tuner recorded. My fault, Kazy.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Is there any reason to use this over Pocket?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Gentle Alarm doesn't seem to work well if you're sleeping with someone who's getting up later than you, so I happen to use Alarm Clock Plus. Been using it for a while without any issues.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

Forgive me if this was asked recently, but I'm looking for a different browser just to try out different stuff than the Gingerbread stock one. What do most people use? I saw something about ICS browsers earlier, but I can't really try that out since I don't have ICS.

Looking at the app store, Dolphin looks interesting but it feels like they're trying way too hard to shove voice commands into it. I like the gestures though, anything else that has them?

I don't know about gestures, but when I was on GB (back on my Thunderdolt!) I used Boat. Very quick browser.

Skeezy posted:

Speaking of Dolphin HD, is anyone having this issue where the browser will randomly close on them?

I would try clearing data.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there a Remote Desktop app that is preferred? Looking to run it on my N7. Hopefully something that can send basic commands to a terminal instead of me needing to constantly zoom in and out, etc.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Wyse PocketCloud is decent.

Is that the one that requires a client installed on the server?

Maybe I'm thinking about TeamViewer.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
When you flash a ROM and use Google Restore to restore your apps, does it also do app data?

If so, I won't have to use Titanium Backup anymore!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Since we're on the topic of calendar widgets...

My wife uses LauncherPro on her CM7'd Incredible 2, and I'm looking to replace the calendar widget that LP uses with something else.

What she's looking for is a calendar widget that allows a month view, and when you click on a day, it launches the calendar app for that particular day and she can add from there.

Current LP calendar widget switches to agenda view for the particular day when the month-view day is clicked.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

XIII posted:

Do you have Rom Manager installed? Some people were having an issue with pictures not showing up in the gallery that was caused by a recent Rom Manager update that put a nomedia file in the root of your sdcard. A recent update fixed the issue, but you'd need to go delete the file.

I had this issue, and even though I updated to the "fix", it was still happening.

There was no .nomedia file in the root of my sdcard either.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Flaggy posted:

What app do you guys recommend for reading comics?

PerfectViewer is fantastic.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm looking for a particular task app.

I'm a new homeowner, and I'd like to be reminded to do things around the house on a monthly basis (check the furnace filter, tighten screws, whatever). Sure, yeah, I can make a new google calendar appointment, but as soon as the day turns over, that 'task' is gone.

What I'm looking for is:
- Ability to do recurring tasks (weekly, monthly, yearly, etc)
- Syncs to a web client (Google tasks?)
- Has a widget so it's ALWAYS on my home screen

I'm currently using 'Tasks' which is fantastic, but it doesn't have a recurring feature.

Any idea?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

If they're on the same day of the week/month each time, why not just make recurring appointments in Google Calendar with notifications turned on?

If my phone reboots, the notifications will be gone.

I'm looking for something that I can check off as 'DONE' and not see it again for a month.

I haven't used Astrid in forever. Is that still a decent app? Will it do this?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Then check your notifications before you reboot your phone?

I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus that has issues randomly rebooting sometimes :gonk:, but that's beside the point.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Maps seems to be causing my phone to stay awake often throughout the day:

Yeah, I understand I've only been unplugged for 23mins, but that awake time seems to be a lot for me, and it just gets worse throughout the day.

I'm currently running CM10-M1 on a VZW GNex. I've tried clearing the Maps cache/data and it hasn't helped. What else can I try?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How does Falcon Pro measure up to Plume as far as a Twitter app?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

CancerStick posted:

Possibly stupid GoodNews question. Can I update specific feeds or specific folders and not the whole thing? I have it set to manual update only, and yesterday I wanted to update my Podcast folder. I couldn't figure out how to update that section and had to wait for the whole thing to refresh.

Have you tried long pressing a feed/folder?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

My boss says I have until end of day to inventory every gadget in our hospital.

I was thinking I'd print up some barcodes on label paper, and use an inventory app on my phone.

Does anyone recommend a particular barcode inventory app, or a good strategy for this?

I was planning to make barcodes for each category, I.E. PC, Monitor, Printer, etc., stick them on things, and set it so as I scan them they'll get dumped into groups like Building A, B, C. Anything along those lines that I could then export to Excel would be amazing.

I think that Shelves (goon made) will do this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miadzin.shelves&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5taWFkemluLnNoZWx2ZXMiXQ..

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's the consensus on the best IRC client for phones/tablets?

I've been happy with AndIRC.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there any sort of app that will log my signal strength over a period of the me, and show me where it's weakest and such?

I'm getting a prepaid T-Mobile phone and want to use it side-by-side to my VZW gnex, and compare signals.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there a sketch app like Paper for Android? Something dead simple? Also, is there any app I can use to lock out the onscreen buttons? My two year old son playing with the Nexus 10, when using Skitch he'll always bump the home button, and exit the application by accident. It'd be nice if there was an app (or ROM) I guess, that disables or locks out the home button when it's running in the background. I'm not sure how that would work, but it'd be nice to have.

Dunno about the sketch app, but with CM 10.1 (maybe previous ones as well), you're able to use an "Extended desktop" through holding down the power button and toggling it. It will make you Home/Back/Recent buttons disappear, and extend the desktop/app to the full screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

thehoodie posted:

So after having my iPhone stolen, I got a Galaxy SIII for Christmas, and have been having a great time screwing around with it for the past day or so. However, I really miss being able to view text messages/missed alerts at the lock screen, like I was able to do on my iphone. Is there any sort of app that will display text messages, at the very least, on the lock screen? I downloaded one that displays the message on the screen, but it goes away after a couple seconds and I still have to unlock my phone and go to messages to view it again or if I miss it.

I don't use it as I have a native-popup in CM10.1, but SMS Popup might be able to do this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...C5zbXNwb3B1cCJd

• Locked thread