Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

air- posted:

How about some discussion on dialer replacement apps? I'm still using Dialer One, but I'm eyeballing the Youlu Address Book from comments on the Android Police series discussing the best dialer apps.

I'm liking Contapps, the one reviewed in the top article, part 7. It was free in the Amazon App Store a few weeks ago and I've been using it ever since. I get around their first con by hiding all the icons in my app drawer in Launcher Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

THF13 posted:

TV Show Favs
Tracks your favorite shows so you know what's airing and what you've missed.

Holy poo poo thanks for that, my friend and I have been looking for an app that does just this for a while. He eventually made us a calender we both use but this is even better.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

hooah posted:

Holy poo poo, you're amazing. I've been dealing with that bug for something like 2 weeks. I even tried a factory reset, but since all I knew was that HTC's People app was crashing, I didn't have a lot to go on. You just made me a little less insane.

Now I feel a bit dumb, I ended up doing a warranty replacement on my phone because of the acore crash. Though I'm kind of glad I did seeing as my buttons were creaky and my warranty is up next week anyway, so it was a good excuse to replace my phone. I don't know why I didn't think to ask here first, though.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Sounds like you want friendcaster

Thanks for this, I rarely use Facebook but the GPS polling and notifications were pissing me off royally. This is perfect for me.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Friendcaster doesen't do 'proper' push notifications though (im guessing because facebook hasn't made that an open API or something) instead it half-asses it by checking your emails to see if facebook sent you one. I don't have emails from facebook because otherwise they would clog up my inbox.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't get any emails from Facebook and still get notifications from Friendcaster. Under notification 'refresh type' is gives the options for 'periodic polling' 'k-9' 'gmail' and 'push c2dm' which also says (recommended) next to it, which is what I use

e;fb. And that's what I get for not realizing I wasn't on the last page of a thread.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I don't care about getting notified about facebook stuff, I'll happily manually check it a couple times a day at most, would friendcaster be a worthwhile download for me?

I think so, yes. Simple and no outrageous polling and battery drain. It's free, try it out and decide for yourself if you're on the fence about using it/replacing the fb app with it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Siroc posted:

A few questions:

1) Are there any alternatives to Chrome to Phone that also does the opposite? (i.e. Phone to Chrome)
1a) Is there an alternative to ReadItLater that does this?

https://market.android.com/details?...2lkMmNsb3VkIl0.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hkelgkihphkegiaagbcgglfidabmgkgp

I've used this before, but right now they're doing maintenance apparently, right when I post the app and add-on. I was trying to test it out before recommending it but the server is not responding, hopefully it does what you want. Though ever since I got ReadItLater Pro I haven't had the need for the 2cloud app.
This is only phone->chrome, though, you still need chrome->phone as a separate add on/app.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Speaking of Chrome 2 Phone, is it not working for other people? I can't even log in on my Epic Touch. For the past few months on my Evo, it would work, but it would take five to ten minutes to receive whatever I sent to it.

No problems for me, I use it maybe once a week and have always been able to get my pages sent pretty much immediately. I'm on a MT4G

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Siroc posted:

What benefit does Readitlater Pro have over the regular version?

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm looking for a single program that does both ways. I'm currently using ReaditLater for Phone-->Desktop and ChrometoPhone for... Chrome--->Phone.

EXCLUSIVE PRO FEATURES
* View your entire list (no limits)
* Easily search, sort, tag and archive content in queue
* Scroll with the volume rocker
* Rotation lock

I use it pretty much for the search/sort/tag/archive feature, though I really could have been fine with the regular RIL. I was just feeling generous and decided to buy it (a week before it was the free app of the day). You could also just use RIL for both, though I have both the C->P and RIL add-on right next to each other in Chrome so if I want my link immediately or if I want to view it soon but not just yet, I have both options.
I don't think there's a two-way app/add-on, at least not that I've seen.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Blakkout posted:

What's the best Instgram-esque free app on the android market?

I use picplz, it has similar filters and can send to all the sites like tumblr and twitter and also uploads to a dropbox if you want.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

XIII posted:

I've noticed this too. But, even though it opens whatever page I was on, it also copies the selected text. It doesn't notify me of it though.

It did that for me, too. But I don't use the Chrome Beta, so maybe they changed some things or I'm doing it wrong?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

hotsauce posted:

But whatever, really. It's not a big deal. It's a me-too app that does what it's supposed to do.

Yeah, and what it's supposed to do is pretty awesome.
I accidentally messed up on my unlock pattern for the third time and my screen went white, then let me continue trying the pattern. A few seconds later ::ding ding:: email alert, it's a picture of my confused face trying to unlock my phone. I think the options go above and beyond the standard security/antitheft apps, at least those that I've tried so far.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, question: I'm looking for an alarm clock app that I can give a list of songs (not every song on my device, but maybe all songs by one artist, or all songs in one folder, or whatever) and randomize them for what it plays every time it goes off. Is there anything like that?

I use Alarm Clock Xtreme (which I grabbed for free when it was the Amazon AotD) and it does exactly that. I have it set to a specific playlist I have on my phone but you can also do Random songs by artist, sounds exactly like that you're looking for. You can also set it so it will ask you a math question or make you enter a captcha to dismiss the alarm/hit snooze.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What's the point of this? It looks like you take a picture, pick some brightness/contrast settings and then upload it to yet another social media site? Am I missing anything?

Basically, though I like it for sending pictures I take to Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

But you can do that with the stock gallery and just about every other app.

True, but I like the filters and stream of friend's pictures, too. I use picplz currently for that but will probably switch to Instagram as enough of my friends use it and maybe 4 use picplz.
It's the incredibly simple sharing plus the social media factor plus the filters that's the draw, for me at least.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Has anyone used Carrr Matey? I'm going to be going somewhere that I'm not very familiar with, I'm horrible with spatial directions, and I need a "I forgot which direction my car is in" app.

I have it but I've only used it once (and that was for a test to see how it worked).
It did the job and it's free, I'm similar in that I'm horrible getting around somewhere new, and I would feel comfortable with using it to get back to my car.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Has anyone else been having problems with Launcher Pro?
Recently (as in within the last day, if not within the last few hours) nearly every time I hit the home button it makes me select either Launcher Pro or the HTC Sense Launcher (I've got a MyTouch4G). I've tried clearing the defaults, turning my phone off/on, and uninstalling all the apps I've installed in the last 24 hours, nothing works.
I hope the answer isn't "try a different launcher", even though I really should as the rewrite is never happening. I'm just stubborn and like how I've got my home screens/docks set up. I'm open to suggestions of other launchers, but I'd have a hard time switching if I can't have my 30 apps/folders in my dock and ability to hide apps in the drawer.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I assume you aren't running an ICS ROM on your MT4G?

I am not, everything is stock (I tried rooting it once before and hosed it up and decided I'm fine with stock unless and until there's an indepth walkthrough for my phone).
But my problem seems to have cleared itself up. I'm pretty sure it was an app that was causing all this (some alarm app that an Android blog recommended, I'm led to believe this because there was an update ready when I went to delete it that said something like "Fixed home issues"), I deleted it and it happened at least once more but since last night it's been fine.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Send me your email and I'll give you an invite.

Heck if anyone want's one I'll send you an invite. Although I guess it's quicker now.

I'd love one, as well, if you've got. Been waiting a while and nothing so far.
Username@gmail

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm looking for a way to 1: use the pin number option for my unlock screen and be able to 2: key in the pin with the option to select camera (or other app) while 3: maintaining the Cerberus feature of taking a picture on wrong pin number input.

Does Widget Locker play nice with Cerberus in this way?

Not exactly sure if this is what you mean but I use Widget Locker and have it where if I go left with my swipe to unlock it will bring me to my camera app while also requiring I use my pattern lock before the camera app shows. It will still take a picture for Cerberus if the pattern is entered wrong. So if that's the scenario you're imagining, yes, Widget Locker will work for this.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

XIII posted:

I've decided that I'm the only person on here that uses it, but I swear by ChompSMS.

You're not alone, I love Chomp and recommend it to all my friends.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

ceebee posted:

Are there any apps that I can load onto my phone that will allow my family to see my progress/location on a cross-country road trip from a website? Any good suggestions are appreciated :D

Latitude might be good for this, I haven't used it for that purpose in a while but when I did we just made sure I was sharing my info with them in the Maps app and that was it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Xarb posted:

At the moment I have the lock-screen/security on my SGS3 set up for swipe then pin to unlock. I also have it to lock immediately if I press the power-button.

What I want to happen is that the phone will always require me to swipe it on wake, but only require the pin if it has been locked for a certain amount of time.

Is this possible with an app? I can't seem to find the correct settings in android itself.

That was an option on my stock MT4G and i seriously miss it on my SGS3. I hope someone has an app for it, it was so handy.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Pipski posted:

Is there a decent alternative to Missed It for indicating missed calls / SMS / e-mails etc. as a widget? Since the last ICS update it just doesn't work properly, and, more importantly, the slider to make the widget background transparent doesn't do anything anymore. It looks proper manky. I've looked for an alternative but, to my surprise, haven't found any.

I've found that UCCW does a good job of that. If you check out the 'show off your desktop' thread I've posted a couple of times on the last page or so, both of the themes I posted use UCCW to tell me how many texts/missed calls/etc I have.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Thoom posted:

Mine aren't working either (GNex and N7, both running CM10), and I have a standard @gmail account. In fact, Google Now barely works at all for me. It pops up my route to work once or twice a day and beyond that sits in stony silence.

I'm having issues, too. When I first updated to JB on my GS3 I had a package sent and it gave me the tracking card (even though it was shipped UPS Mail Innovations or whatever that new 'pass it to the USPS' thing is, so the card didn't work right) but now I have something with an actual tracking number that I can check using the browser, and nothing.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there an app that will allow me to put a pin/pattern/whatever lock on my phone, but only when I use the widget/whatever to lock it? I want to be able to hit the power button and use my normal lockscreen (slider) but use the app to actually put a lock on it.

Switchpro widget has a toggle for the lock pattern. Not sure of any other app options.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Just want to pop in and thank all the goons who recommended Press. It looks great and I'm really enjoying reading on it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Until July 1st at least. :suicide:

They say they'll have their own set up working before then, but I don't understand all that much about what they need/how it all works. I've got to believe, though. I'm one of those that uses Reader almost everyday to keep up on the news and current events and comics and poo poo.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Is anyone here familiar enough with customization in ChompSMS that can tell me if there's a way to increase the space between conversations in the conversation list? I'm trying to tweak the look for a larger contact name but it just ends up cutting off the top instead of increasing the space:

You have to make the date/time bigger. Mine is set to be invisible so I can have big names and not deal with them being cut off.

Mine looks like this

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

What are everyone's favorite photo editing apps? I've messed around with a few and I'm really liking Magic Hour and Snapseed but I'm hoping there's something that'll let me make a picture black and white except for a portion I can choose. Aftereffects let's me choose a portion of the picture in the way I want but only to blur the background.

Is that even an option through an app? Are all my friends editing their pictures on their computers before posting to Instagram?
Or any other apps people like to suggest?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

1st AD posted:

Snapseed and the 4.3 gallery allow you to do this through selective/local adjustments, but neither give you control of areas outside the mask, so you'll have to mask off multiple areas around your subject and reduce saturation in each area.

Thanks, I just tried it out and it seems to work well enough, it'll just take some time figuring out the easiest way to do it. I thought Snapseed could but could not for the life of me figure out howhow.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Pixlr Express has a few tools that make this fairly easy, Color Splash desaturates the image and gives you a one-click magic wand tool to add a region of colour back in (there's also a brush and eraser if you want to do it manually), and it has a History Brush tool so you can desaturate the image or whatever, then use a brush and eraser to paint out your last adjustment. It's not Photoshop levels of control but it's pretty good

Thanks, I'm really enjoying the tools they have. Might be my new default photo editing app now.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah this was my problem with Aviate. I work in a skyscraper and the closest Starbucks is two blocks off, but the thing always thought I was getting coffee.

I had to switch back to Nova, it kept switching me from "Work" to "Home" (I put my addresses in for the "Going Somewhere" profile, they're nowhere near each other and I have barely left my desk with my phone) and then to the Diner downstairs. It also lost a bunch of my custom app groupings. I really like it, they just need to throw in some "custom" app groupings, and obviously fix the bug poo poo, but I understand that it's a beta. It just doesn't work for me right now.

I also really like Themer but I am too picky about my "themes". I can't wait till Aviate is out of beta because it's perfect (except for the times when it's not)

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

CancerStick posted:

I don't have chromecast tho

Do you have a PS3/360?
That's the icon of the button I press when I want to set up a TV Queue/send videos to whatever console we're using at the moment.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

CancerStick posted:

No. I've seen it before. I was in my car sitting in the car waiting for my girlfriend to get off work. It was hooked up to the car via Bluetooth is why I wondered if it was Bluetooth.

I do have a PS3 but it hasn't been turned on in probably a year.

e: in the parking lot not car but anyway it is showing the same symbol on the screen when connected to my Bluetooth speaker at home too

It's most likely YouTube's "unique" broadcast to anything symbol.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought I had "failed" when I was 90% sure I clicked the wrong number of stars, but I've gotten three so far. The first two got me $1 each, and the last one only got me $0.50, because I don't use AirBnB, so I only answered the first question.

I got a full dollar for saying I don't buy premium bottled water (the choices were awful, I had to choose "Never, it's stupid to pay that much for bottled water" because it was the closest answer to "Never, I'm always near free water") and only 88 cents for doing a full survey about I-can't-remember-what.
I don't understand how they choose how much to give, the last one I got was 99 cents for a full survey about Netflix.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Vinlaen posted:

1) Can I send a link (or text/whatever) to my Nexus 5 from my PC and have it appear as a notification? Preferrably I'd just like to use the PC and paste the URL in a form and have it sent to my phone.

Is Chrome to Phone still a thing? I used that or the Pocket add on for Chrome to pull up links on my phone but haven't used them in a while. Now I just email links to myself.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Simple little paint type app I can put a circle or an arrow on a picture? (or draw dicks on people's foreheads)

I needed to email someone where a certain sidewalk/entrance to a building was yesterday and used my PC to screenshot maps and mspaint an arrow onto it. I'm positive I could've done this on my phone just not sure what to look for.

Depending on your phone, you may already be able to do that. I have a SGS3 and when I hit menu on a picture in the gallery I can click "Advanced Edit" and then "Decoration" let's me basically paint in whatever I want.

I've used Picsay before to do speech bubbles but if you just want to draw you can possibly avoid needing a whole 'nother app for that.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Vin BioEthanol posted:

My cyanogen gallery and my gallery-replacement app (quickpic) look like they just do cropping, filters or pictureframe type stuff when you click an edit option. No advanced edit there. Picsay is installed and looks like it'll do the kind of stuff I want.

That's probably the best bet, then. It doesn't look that great but it's nice enough when you want to send an arrow or speech bubble (when I was dog sitting my mom got plenty of pictures of the dog saying weird poo poo, not sure how nice it was for her to get).
I used the Google Experience (I think it's called that?) gallery replacement and it doesn't have the drawing option. It looks like it should but it only gives me stupid filter options, which I'd use Instagram for if I wanted that kind of editing.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

I really really liked Aviate, but there were a few things you couldn't customize or change that I just couldn't get over. It has incredible potential and looks gorgeous though.

That's why I switched back to my Nova set up. I really want to love Aviate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Disharmony posted:

Recently I've been seeing uploads in Instagram that has 3 or more split screen still images and a video. Does anyone know the name of that app?

edit - PicPlayPost but only for iOS. Awww.

I used Photo Grid and it works great. I also use the A Beautiful Mess app that they finally brought over to Android (like 4 months after they said they would) but for collages photo grid is a thousand times better.

ilysespieces fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 21, 2013

• Locked thread