Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

scarymonkey posted:

I'm not quite following your ftp "streaming" solution, as far as I know no Android video player I know of can stream from an FTP source and no Android ROM i know of can mount an FTP source as a file system mount.
I haven't tried FTP because it's a deprecated protocol (in my book) for anything other than public (anonymous login) servers.

However I do regularly "stream" video over SFTP by running sshfs & FUSE on my phone. It works on any rooted Android phone if you compile/find a "fuse.ko" module for. Folks regularly mount SMB shares with CifsManager which is essentially the same idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

scarymonkey posted:

I know fuse.ko capability exists, does any popular ROM/Kernel include it?
Not to my knowledge. It's definitely a "roll your own" thing, but if you do roll your own, it works pretty much anywhere.

scarymonkey posted:

The main point I was making is even if my media were on my SD card my phone/tablet would still be too weak to play them without re-encoding.
I appreciate that. I don't have any HD media, but my phone handles 480p well enough. The one thing it doesn't like is non-square pixels, so I've avoided doing anamorphic encodes of DVDs in HandBrake. I can definitely see utility in on-the-fly reencoding for compatibility purposes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

That's a classy dev right there. A far cry from what some other devs have done.
How's that? Anddoes did eventually give a purchase credit to Amazon purchasers. I thought Bithack and Shifty Jelly did too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Anddoes took a while though. He said it was Amazon's fault for not giving him access to their transaction records, but considering the WidgetLocker dev is accepting screenshots of receipt e-mails, Anddoes could have done something similar from day one.
My biggest complaint with Anddoes is that he wasn't very forthcoming about the situation when it first went down. My understanding is that folks who actually purchased (not freebie) Fancy Widget Pro were handled on a case-by-case basis, but I didn't bother to pursue it and just switched to Beautiful Widgets instead.

I'm happy though that he did eventually clarify the situation, rather well actually. I'm still using Beautiful Widgets but was able to do a license transfer (or whatever) to the unlocked Fancy Widgets on my wife's phone and it runs rather well.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Re: Fancy Widgets

I got that email as well, it's uh, interesting.

So folks probably remember that Anddoes had a falling out with Amazon shortly after Fancy Widget Pro was listed as a freebie. He ended up removing Fancy Widget Pro from both Amazon and the Market, but in the later case replaced it with "Fancy Widgets", for which you could download a separate, paid unlocker.

At first, folks who "acquired" Fancy Widget Pro on Amazon were screwed. My understanding is that folks who actually paid (didn't get it on freebie day) were handled on a case-by-case basis by emailing him, but he didn't want to handle the potential 100k folks who got it on freebie day that way.

A few months ago Amazon gave him a dump of order numbers, and since then folks with an Amazon purchase order (even on freebie day as I understand) could pick up Fancy Widgets from the Market and use it as an unlock code, and install it on up to ten devices (?).

So, apparently, the new development is that Fancy Widgets is back on Amazon as a free app, but folks who puchased Fancy Widget Pro are still eligible for a full unlock. Even more interesting is that, somehow, that email went out. I'm not sure how his Amazon spat got resolved. But if you're actually looking to upgrade to Fancy Widgets I'd just get the Market version anyways since both can be unlocked and the Market one will get updates first.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iostream.h posted:

What's the current best NES emulator available?
I think NES.emu is pretty good, as are the rest of Robert's emulators.

Edit: Cheat support is probably the one big feature that's still missing at present.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Do apps purchased through the Amazon App Store ever get updates?
Yes. Updates to Amazon's store suffer a week delay or so (compared to the Market), so they can be vetted. But otherwise it's the same, some apps are updated frequently, others not at all.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got a couple (specifically Plants vs. Zombies) that I have never seen an update request for. I ask because PvZ has crashed a few times on me this last week on the new phone.
PvZ has never been updated. That's Popcap being Popcap.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

VibrioCholera posted:

It was usually easily pressed on the word list but I type a lot of words that aren't in the library and don't like how it constantly auto corrects them and I had to use magical backspacing pressing methods to get words to stick.
You can turn auto-correction off.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Recently I've been digging ES's music and video players.

They're dirt simple, but that's what I want. ES's music player is a very simple folder player and has replaced MortPlayer for that purpose. ES's video player, unlike stock, remembers the position of a video if I cut away for a moment, tolerates playing in any orientation (not just one), and doesn't gently caress with my backlight levels.

ES's text editor is also the only one I use on my phone and does a pretty darn good job for those cases where "I just want to edit some text" and don't need a specialized app. Hell, I guess ES is half of what I do in Android.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

How does licensing for the Free App of the Day work, anyway?
You can use the same Amazon account on a stupid number of devices. I don't know the actual limit, if any, but it's at least five.

My wife and I share an Amazon account, so we share apps too. I'm the only one who has to "purchase" them, and they can be installed on her phone anytime thereafter.

That's the general case anyways. I'm not sure about Documents to Go since it looks like they're doing their own licensing foo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dissss posted:

You don't need a Task Manager - just forget they exist and you'll have a much better experience
I finally found a legitimate need for a task manager.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to "go offline" in Skype without signing out, which requries entering my password again on the next session. But if I "Force stop" Skype, it will sign in automatically the next time I start it. TW's build in task manager is much more convenient for doing that than Manage Applications.

Unless I'm a moron and don't get Skype, which is entirely possible.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shanakin posted:

I know they could do well to place it in more of the app but you can definitely go offline.
Ah, you're right. I didn't think they provided that functionality separate from "Sign out" in the menu.

Shanakin posted:

EDIT: I like your solution though because even when offline skype is still running a notification and such and it's annoying.
Yeah, that's actually my real complaint, that there's no way to stop Skype from running its foreground service (the notification icon) without having to reenter your password. Other IM clients (Beem, Talk) let you do that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

C-Euro posted:

How vital is it right now to have a good antivirus program on an Android device?
It's absolutely not vital unless you're downloading apps from a sideloaded Chinese app store or crazy poo poo. In fact, I don't know anyone who actually uses one.

Also, don't leave "USB Debugging" enabled when you plug your phone into a random computer. And in general, I'd avoid charging your phone from unknown computers and USB receptacles, carry your AC adapter around or make a condom cable.

Codiusprime posted:

Pretty sure a Google engineer just recently made a post about how pointless they are and how the peoe who sell them are crooks.
You have a link for that?

There's one good reason for an AV scanner, which is to scan apks on installation for known exploit signatures to avoid malware. That's not particularly useful on a Nexus device running the latest version of Android, but third-party devices get security updates what, twice a year?

Although I don't know if AV scanners hook the package installer or not. They should, otherwise they really are worthless.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlexMoron posted:

SketchBook Mobile
I agree that SBM is really good and worth grabbing, although the $1 it normally costs is still a great deal.

But it's weird. I bought it on Amazon a long time ago, back in April, and was displeased when it fell behind the Market version (1.2?) for months, and I've since learned my lesson about purchasing from Amazon. Although I don't think it was really Amazon's fault, Autodesk just forgot about them.

Anyways, it appears that SBM finally did get updated on Amazon shortly before it was released as a freebie, to coincide with the Fire's release as I recall. Anyways, now the version on Amazon is newer (1.3.3 vs 1.3.1). Perhaps that doesn't make a difference, but I don't know what's up with Autodesk and why they can't keep their Amazon and Market versions consistent.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mantle posted:

It's a Le Pan TC 970. ... I have until the end of the month to decide whether to roll the dice on cm7 support eventually coming or to return the tablet to Amazon.
Oh dear, if you have any option, whatsoever to return that tablet for even a nominal restocking fee do it.

It's yet another cheap-rear end Chinese tablet running Froyo from a manufacturer who, knowingly-or-not, is violating Linux/Android license terms by not releasing the source code.

So you're never going to see a useful, official update, and it's never going to get CM7 support. Aside from the "no source code" problem, CM7 support just doesn't happen but requires a device to be popular enough to attract sufficient developer interest.

Personally I wouldn't purchase a tablet these days that either doesn't come with ICS or for which an ICS upgrade is "going to happen really soon" (which probably means it ships with Honeycomb 3.2). But if you're looking for a moderately similarly spec'd tablet that's well supported by CM7, go for the Nook Color or something.

Edit: It's knowingly.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't moved data yet because everything always says "don't move data because it's slow".
I run entire ROMs (/system and /data) off SD card and it's not an issue. Just make sure to use a quality SD card that has good random-access throughput rates.

In other words, a quality class 6 may beat a legitimate class 10, and will certainly beat counterfeit class 10s sold on eBay.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

The SGS is the modern-day equivalent of the original Pentium bug.
No way, the FDIV bug was a very costly, (and thus) poorly managed "oops!" on an otherwise excellently designed processor.

The SGS and its variants, while possessing reasonable and certainly marketable hardware, are a massive blunder due to the absolute poo poo-turd software stack that shipped on the platform. Nearly two-years later, two fairly-major Android revisions, and a very significant helping hand in the form of Google "fixing poo poo" for the Nexus S, the SGS TW platform is still rear end, although a little less so.

And you know, we could've left Samsung at "almost as bad as LG", with HTC and Motorola remaining the unbeatable OEMs. Except somewhere shortly after the release of GB (and a Samsung OEM'd Google development prototype) both HTC and Motorola started to seriously gently caress up.

All Android OEMs are tainted, and they all suck. Devices pimped by Google however, have a tendency to suck the least.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

Connectbot doesn't work for this, doesn't have an option that I can see, tunneled ports started with connectbot are accessible only by the phone.
I actually was never able to get tunnels to work in ConnectBot, so I use command-line ssh for them.

Wagonburner posted:

But how do I make this easier and not have to type all that (plus a bunch more tunnels that I want) put it in a shell script and execute that from local busybox using connectbot?
I don't know if it's optimal, but what I do is create a new "local" entry in ConnectBot dedicated for the purpose of running said script. After creating it, if you long-press on the entry and select "Edit host" there's an option for "Post-login automation" which you can set to "exec sh /path/to/script.sh". You might even be able to do "exec ssh ..." and avoid the need for a script. If it requries root, "exec su -c 'sh /path/to/script.sh'" works as well.

Note: For the above "Post-login automation" to actually, well, automate, you have to enter a newline (press enter/return) at the end of the "exec ..." command, which should expand the text box with an empty line.

So yeah, by doing all that you've short-cutted the script to a ConnectBot "host" entry you can just click on. That's good enough for me that I've never bothered to try to shortcut that further.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

I don't know how to get back to it to end it other than rebooting or doing a ps -a|grep ssh then kill command, anything I can do so that ssh session ends when the connectbot local term window closes?
Automatically I'm not sure. Probably the easiest thing to do is not manually disconnect but keep ConnectBot running (if you need to access another host, the back button works), and then when you want to shutdown the tunnels open that sessions and do a Ctrl-C.

Otherwise you could do some fancy scripting stuff to background the ssh processes, record their process IDs and write them somewhere. Then, at the top of the script check if the process-ID-file exists and if so, kills the processes instead of spawning new ones, removing the process-ID-file at the end.

That's a bit complicated though.

Wagonburner posted:

edit: before I started playing around today I had no idea I had built in command line ssh edit again: or grep!
Is this CM?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Anti virus programs on Android only protect you against old viruses.
True, and frankly I wouldn't really recommend running an Android AV program or claim that they're necessary.

However, given that OEMs are embarassingly bad about pushing security updates, the 2-3 root exploits that come out every year have a surprising amount of longevity, much to the benefit of Motorola owners. Anyways, the point being that AV programs are (presumably, I have no actual data on this) effective here since signature updates are much easier to push out.

Of course, the Market shouldn't be serving root-exploiting malware these days, but there was a time that they weren't on top of that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

What does this have to do with... anything?
He's stating that the Otterbox, despite being an otherwise very rugged and sturdy case, has giant unprotected hole in the back for no functional purpose other than to display the device's Apple logo.

The point being that Apple folks will gladly give up (insist, even) actual protection in order to flaunt their device as a status symbol. Meanwhile, folks like him and I wonder why there's a giant-as-gently caress hole in the back of a rugged case.

It's not immediately relevant to Instagram, aside from the hipster idiot thing.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why do so many people in this thread have a persecution complex?
I think everyone is just amused by it. It's the Apple Instagram folks (admittedly, a small subset perhaps) who feel like the party was ruined.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It all just reeks of "Wahh iPhones are seen as status symbols and Androids aren't :qq: "
That assumes any of us actually want our phones to be seen as status symbols.

I have to admit though, if I had a Galaxy Note, I would be endlessly entertained by (not so) slyly showing it off.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

The reason I ask is because it's not an Apple thing.
:aaa:

I hope they're not all like that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

(as in, Amazon basically gave away his app without asking and gave him nothing for it)
While Amazon is certainly not blameless in misrepresenting (at least to the public) the success (or lack thereof) of FAOTD on app revenue, according to shiftyjelly, Amazon did ask them if they wanted to be a FAOTD first, and did clarify the 0% revenue share up front. In fact, there was even email clarification over that point.

If it was uneconomical for shiftyjelly to make Pocket Casts a FAOTD due to bandwidth costs, then honestly it was their mistake for doing it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Odette posted:

I'm interested in the Android ecosystem, .... Obviously I can't just jump in and make a mess of things so to begin with,
You'd be surprised, a lot of folks jump in exactly that way, for better or worse.

Odette posted:

I would like my knowledge to be based on pretty solid foundations, so does anyone know any good resources to get me started with learning to program in Java and/or Android?
Not sure about a beginning Java resource. Truth is, it's good to have a grasp of Java syntax, OOP, etc., but you don't really need much experience with the Java standard library. Aside from some core classes, most of Android uses its own API.

For Android app development, the developers site is pretty decent. Download the SDK and walk through some of the tutorials. I haven't bought any books on Android app development (haven't really needed to yet), but I like the Pragmatic Programmers stuff, so Hello, Android is probably what I'd pick up.

All that in mind, Android platform (ROM) development is really a whole different beast. The framework side of it is still Java, and most of the APIs are the same as the application ones, but there's two big differences. First, you don't really need lots of application development experience to make contributing changes to Android itself. You're generally not going to introduce huge changes, but make a bunch of small ones. Usually there's already code in the framework that serves as a boilerplate for what you want to do, so it's a combination of copying/pasting and modifying it appropriately to do what you want. Thus, it's a different skill set than application design.

The second issue is that the Android platform is huge. ICS is 18 GBish (if I'm remembering right) of source code alone. Platform development is almost exclusively done on Linux machines (in theory a Mac would work, but I don't think anyone does that in practice). It's also very large and, in some ways, unwieldy. It doesn't even fit inside a single Git repository, but rather is comprised of a few hundred repositories stitched together. I've never tried using Eclipse on the entire code base, I imagine it would choke, so knowledge of Linux command line utilities (find, grep, etc.) to "quickly" search through the sources is a huge help. That said, it's usually not too hard to figure out which package needs to be modified to implement some feature, which narrows the scope of the code you have to look at considerably.

In short, Android app development is a fine thing to learn, but app development vs. platform development is mostly two different skill sets, so don't worry if you're not an app expert before diving into the other side.

Edit: Also, see the development megathread.
Edit edit: f, b.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ante posted:

The only thing that really bothers me about Android is the sound management. If I hit my volume control buttons on the homescreen, my volume control goes up or down (but not as loud as I'd like), but my text message volume remains unchanged.
FWIW there's an option in CM7 (I believe?) and CM9 (definitely) to link notification and ring tone volumes. But yes, sound management is definitely a weakness in Android. Although to be fair, it's a difficult problem. I understand why ringtone, media, alarm, etc., volumes might or should be decoupled, but there's not a great way without making it somewhat complicated. The fact that OEM skins further gently caress things up here is no help.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The reason why Chrome is lol huge is because it requires 30 MB of native libraries. That alone is pretty unsurprising, but the problem is that Android doesn't support loading native libraries from .apk files, and requires them to be stored in pre-extracted from.

When the first Firefox (Fennec) builds showed up, folks complained about the very same thing. I believe the Firefox folks wrote a special loader that could read native libraries straight from an apk, saving considerable space. It's a shame that Google hasn't written something like this straight into the Android framework, there's really no reason not to.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Dunno where else to ask this but why in the gently caress does the Amazon Appstore keep an apk from every version of every app you've ever gotten from it in /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache/?
I don't believe the most recent version does this anymore.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I went ahead and deleted them all but why would it do it in the first place?
They have to download the apks somewhere before installing. At one time, they might've felt it would be convenient to keep them there for easy reinstallation of the apps you love. It probably didn't occur to them that if you uninstall poo poo, it's because you really don't want it anymore.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

rolleyes posted:

Notifications should be about events which weren't triggered by the user.
Android also has a history of persistent, "ongoing" notifications that are used, for example, to indicate to the user that a foreground service is active (and thus, not subject to being killed). Foreground services are definitely triggered by the user. So it's not just asynchronous notifications.

rolleyes posted:

I really don't see the need for what is basically just a user setting to be there constantly on the offchance you might want it;
I assume that the motivation for the "Select input method" "notification" is that some folks might be using an IME that doesn't actually show on-screen keyboard, like for bluetooth devices or some variant of speech-to-text or something. The problem is that in absence of both the notification and something on-screen, it might not be clear to the user when an IME is actually active or available for use.

I suppose it's somewhat redundant in the case of an on-screen keyboard, but as someone who changes keyboards somewhat frequently, and most often when a text box isn't on screen (that in GB you could long-press), I find it convenient.

Edit: Just to be clear, you can't long-press in a terminal to change the keyboard to something that's more useful than Swype in a terminal. That's why the notification is useful. But yeah, you should all be running CM9 where there's an option to disable it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

What do you guys think about games that are demos (as in let you play the first level or two) and have an IAP to unlock the full game instead of having Game and Game Lite as separate downloads in the market place?
I really hate this. IAP (if it should exist at all) is really something that should be reserved for optional, à la carte add-on purchases, not "pay here to unlock the full game" type poo poo.

Let's put it this way. If you're developing an app/game with the intention for it to be a paid app/game, then sell it as such, maybe offering a "lite" version also. Don't list it as "free" with a giant ugly IAP to unlock 75% of the content. It's inconsistent and confusing, and frankly annoying.

Like Tunga pointed out, your game/app isn't free, only the demo is. Yet it'll be listed in the "Free Apps" list and not the paid one. It does't matter how large of a warning you have that says "75% of content unlocked by $2 IAP" or whatever, it's still inconsistent. Yet everyone knows what's up when they see two versions of an app/game in the Play search results, a $2 regular version, and a free "lite" version.

It's a bit different if the sales model is such that the entire game/app is intended to be released for free, with sales recouped from optional à la carte IAP purcahses, like add-on levels, or gratuitious skins, or whatever. Even here I personally prefer to pick up a (perhaps more expensive) Paid version with everything unlocked. But Free+IAP makes sense, becuase each individual IAP doesn't represent the majority of context, but are merely "little extras".

Edit: To clarify, I personally dislike IAPs and literally only browse the Paid section, willing to spend more to get something where everything's unlocked. You can do whatever you want with the Free/Fremium version, I'll ignore that, just don't ignore the market of folks who actually look for Paid stuff.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 25, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

The reason I am considering this is because it allows the user to carry over progress from the demo version of the game to the full version of the game with out relying on saving info on the SD card.
If the Paid and Lite versions are signed with the same certificate, can't you just use a one-time intent to migrate any useful data form the Lite version to the Paid one?

Lowen SoDium posted:

It also allows for patches and updates to effectively update both your demo and full version with a single push.
Are you expecting users to have both versions installed long term?

Edit:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Basically, it just seems to me that if you do IAP right, you can make things easier for your users and easier for yourself.
Doing "IAP right" isn't about making thing easy, it's about using them in a sales model for which IAP is solely appropriate. Otherwise you're using IAP as (an inconvenient) workaround for problems (e.g., data migration between Lite and Paid versions) for which there's better solutions.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

To tell the truth, I am not a very good developer and I am still learning a lot of this.
It's alright, learning is good. Check the Android Developers pages on Sharing Content, namely Sending Content to Other Apps and Receiving Content from Other Apps.

If the amount of data you have to transfer is small, you can probably just serialize it and shove it in the intent's EXTRA_STREAM field. If the amount is large, it looks like the best way (although I'm not completely certain) is to have the demo app write it to a MODE_WORLD_READABLE file and send an intent with a URI to that file to the paid app.

I'm sure this topic has come up on Stack Overflow before. It might also be worth asking in the Android Development megathread in the CoC subforum.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I didn't mean a single push to update both version for a single user. I meant a single update would effectively update the program for any user regardless of if they were a demo user or a full version user. This was about making it easier for me as a developer to maintain a single version.
Codewise the free/paid portions of your app should be well enough abstracted that bug fixes can be made to one codebase. Just have the build process scripted such that it generates updates to both the free/paid versions and upload them both. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

I can't imagine that IAP in this fashion is necessarily easier for users. They should be alright as long as you do provide a data migration path.

Also, in general, in the tradeoff of "making easier for developers" and "making palatable for users" you're better off making things better for users if it means making it marginally harder for yourself.

You can also do both the Free/IAP and Paid route. But unless you're doing IAP for other reasons I'd avoid them entirely. I'm also not certain how difficult IAP is to implement for developers, I imagine it can't be much easier than the aforementioned data migration method.

Edit: Whatever you do don't use Sticky Broadcasts. It's a gaping security hole and astute folks will rip you apart in reviews for it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

Sure there is, you just track how much an account has remotely.
Seems to me that in the currency model you definitely should be doing this, otherwise it's a rampant opportunity for abuse.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Most of the time when you buy currency it just adds to a number in an SQLite table or XML file.
Yup, rampant abuse.

Denzalo posted:

Should I switch my primary number to GV? Pros and cons?
One of the main advantages of porting your number to GV is so you can get free SMS. However, since the Sprint Everything Data plans include unlimited SMS anyways, the only real benefit to doing that is if you wanted to get SMS on your computer or something.

The other main advantage of porting your number to GV is the free voicemail transcription. But I think you can get that if you port your number to Sprint, then do the GV integration that Sprint offers.

The downsides is that GV MMS support is basically non-existent. Also, if you port your number to GV, you won't get free any mobile calls (I think?) if you use the GV dialout number. Of course, you can call folks directly, but then your Sprint number shows up.

Unless you're looking to port to GV for the ability to do fast carrier swaps, or so that you can forward to multiple devices, I'd probably just port the number to Sprint.

Mind you, you can (and I recommend) port your number to the Sprint line anytime after it's activated. That might be a good thing to do so you can make sure your new service works well and you're happy with it before you take the porting plunge.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Are G+ hangouts strictly better than (Google) Talk video chat, for one-on-one?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Looks like Google gave you your answer.
"Higher reliability" and "enhanced quality"? It can't be anymore reliable or have better quality than what my uplink allows for.

Obviously where hangouts is a win is video between three or more parties, since presumably you upload your stream once to a Google cloud service which then repeats it for all the parties. In contrast, if you tried to do a three-way video call with P2P streams, you'd have to upload your stream twice which would take a huge quality hit.

I guess I was wondering if it's any better for two-party communication, like if it uses newer codecs or echo cancellation or anything like that, or if all that technology is the same.

That's a good find though, thanks!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore just because every time I've tried to use Titanium to do it it's failed.
Speaking of which, I have to do a one-time transfer of SMSes between two non-rooted devices. Is SMS Backup & Restore my best option for that? SMS Backup + any better?

I don't care about fancy features since it's a one time deal, I'll end up uninstalling the apps when finished. Call logs probably not necessary.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'd like to think this is to correct the issue where both the Play Store and Amazon versions are the same and thus keep updating over top of each other
Might be? I'll try to look into this a bit later to see if I can come up with a concrete answer.

LastInLine posted:

even though the ad free version isn't on the Play Store but still I thought I'd ask to make sure it won't eliminate all my stars if I update.
Be careful here, it almost assuredly will destroy your stars. I'm actually just about to run my next round of Amazon updates so I'll let you know what happens.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Angry Birds (ad-free) on Amazon weirdness.
OK, I checked into this, something weird is going on. The old version I have is 2.1.1, the new version is 2.2.0. AFAIK Surf 'n' Turf is still the latest chapter although they may have added more levels.

But yes, updating Angry Birds on Amazon does a complete uninstall and clears app data. :siren:You lose all stars!:siren:

As for why, the package name is the same, but the certificate is messed up. 2.1.1 uses the Rovio certificate (ROVIOKEY.RSA: Subject: C=FI, L=Helsinki, O=Rovio Mobile Ltd) that's the same as all past versions. 2.2.0 uses a bullshit certificate (APKSIGNE.RSA: Subject: CN=Wilson Matthew). Since the two certificates don't match, the Appstore forces an uninstall, although Android won't allow the update without doing that.

Apparently Matthew Wilson is the Marketing Manager for Rovio. Either someone hosed up and released a beta/RC build without resigning it, or he hosed up his keychain, or something. But this looks like a mistake, and it's one that's going to eat them in negative reviews as folks will be pissed that they lost their stars upon updating.

Edit: If you backup the app data with TiB and restore it after updating, it should work. I did the manual equivalent and the star data preserved just fine. But since this is pretty clearly a mistake it's probably easier just to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'm assuming you contacted Rovio about it?
I poked the feedback thing on Amazon to have them yoink the update, who knows if they will.

I assume Rovio is piss drunk at Assembly right now. Actually I should be piss drunk at Assembly right now. :(

• Locked thread