Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxxidation posted:

Of course Aigis shows up again.

She is so terrible, and so popular in Japan.

Maybe we'll get an Aigis Reflector joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Put in Jack Frost, obviously.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lynx Winters posted:

I'm not going to tell anyone to buy something or not but really you should not look at this as a Persona game. It's a fighting game that happens to have Persona characters. It's also a really good fighting game and it's actually not hard to learn at all.

Yeah everything I've read points at this being the case. The story mode stuff is just going to be frustrating for people who don't enjoy fighting games (and will likely be on youtube in two weeks tops anyway). This doesn't mean "goes to tournaments and wins all the money" necessarily, but if you don't like doing quarter circle motions to throw projectiles there's a good chance this game won't really be that fun for you unless you just love jokes about Kanji's sexuality so much that nothing can diminish your enjoyment.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

JackDarko posted:

I'm going to be getting this game on Tuesday for the PS3 if anybody wants to destroy me ( i'm terrible at fighters ) my ps3 account is NotAntagonist.

I'll play you if you're east coast, I'm too big of a baby to deal with lag

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zexerous posted:

So I just made a challonge page for Tuesday night for PS3 if there's enough interest. I can stream the whole thing no problem.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/btcfkwrvwr

I'm not sure on what time you were thinking but if it's 7:30 EST or later I'd be down.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Have they said how you actually get the different commentators?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I know it's just day 1 but gently caress Circus Bear

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

You have to chain it REALLY fast. You can do 5a 2b on crouchers as well and IMO it's an easier link.

Yeah but then you don't hear cool mic static and the fantastic "WANT SOME?!".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Buhbuhj posted:

I've been using "Kaboom!Liberating My rear end!" but I was hoping to get something to do with tsundere or moe.

I think "My rear end!" is gonna get a lot of mileage once everyone unlocks it. For now though I'm just sticking with cute stuff like my boy Kanji and rockin "Foamy Orange Cream Soda"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dogbutt posted:

The only thing I'm kinda disappointed about the game is that there are no new playable characters. I thought heard somewhere that the console version was going to be drowning in new people!

I'm sorta glad it doesn't, it really has the perfect amount of characters/matchups right now for a 1v1 game. Granted I've literally never played a Persona game so I'm not missing my favorite character, but yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What are my options as Kanji when I land a fatal counter 5C? It seems too far to do anything with barring OMC shenanigans and even then I'm not sure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

darealkooky posted:

I could complain about how kanji's dp is really silly and basically forces me to sit there and get grabbed, but that's probably more just grapples being my kryptonyte

Short hop the grab, or just poke at him if he gets close enough. Yu's normals are a lot faster than Kanji's longer range C attacks, and outrange his A and B attacks pretty well. You can also do Raging Lion or Swift Strike, or even just B+D him. It's actually pretty hard to grab someone off paralyze, since that's exactly what they're expecting you to do and will make every effort to avoid the situation (which is why you'll see a lot of better Kanjis walk up and bait B+Ds and stuff because people get really nervous in that situation).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

axleblaze posted:

It's a counter, and I think the person needs to hit you three times for it to activate.

This is correct, but there's two pieces of weirdness to it.

1) The hits it absorbs last the entire round. So say you counter two hits, like from Kanji's qcf+B for example, but he's smart enough to hit swing again so the super fades. If you get 100 meter again (hardly a difficult feat for Liz), you can do the super again and only need to absorb a single hit to have it activate.

2) It isn't an unblockable effect. If your opponent is in a neutral state when the counter goes off, it doesn't actually hit them. So say you absorb three meteors from Chie's super, but she didn't actually run after you or attack you and instead just stood back, your IK would activate but not actually do anything.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hyun. posted:

There is no 'rematch' option. You have to go back to character select every single time. This means three load screens between matches. This is dumb as hell.

Yeah this, I have no idea how this happened.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The IKs are funny and cute to throw out against your friends who don't know what a particular character's looks like yet. Other than that they pretty much don't matter, but I totally expect one to claim a match at a big tournament some time and make everyone in the stream get pissed. I'd rather they had given characters taunts and respects like GG had.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MY ANIME GF posted:

Everyone online is free to circus bear lol what a joke

i think so few people play teddie that no one knows what the gently caress it does and most people won't go on dustloop and go "oh it's unblockable, whoops."

that said once you know "it comes from either side and is unblockable, super jump you dummy" it becomes sorta easy since no one ever sets it up with items online.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait you mean people didn't figure this out on their own after the first time?

Well not everyone just stands still and blocks. Sometimes you might try to jump over it and assume it's air unblockable if you didn't completely avoid it. Or try your own super against it and assume it's projectile invulnerable. Or maybe you're just stupid and assume it hits low/overhead for god knows what reason. My point was that I've seen one (1) Teddie other than my friends I play with regularly (and zero Yosukes period, actually), so if you're doing any of those things and don't see another Teddie for a week (and if he throws a hail mary Circus Bear) then it's pretty easy to forget what you may or may not have learned until it's too late.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Mitsuru only has two charge moves, she doesn't even have any charge supers or whatever. Is she really a charge character?

Also, SLabrys also has a charge move.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bebopaloobop posted:

Let's just make fighting games really boring and homogenous this is a good idea.

Do you also think DP motions and 720s should be removed because they're tied to really good moves that are balanced by being "hard to activate"?

I don't think either should be removed, but I think we can look at some games as examples of doing things in new (maybe better? maybe not?) ways. Like Cerebella's 360 detection in Skullgirls, I loving love that poo poo and it made her a lot more enjoyable to play, though that then raises balance questions.

Also gently caress the pretzel, I give no fucks that poo poo is vile.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OmegaGoo posted:

Unless you have tiny fingers, they only really hard button combinations are anything involving A and C without B (assuming default pad controls). Just jam those combinations on a shoulder button, and ta-da.

Yeah, or if you're on a stick you can do something like

A C D
B

or whatever. It helped me a ton.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anyone on the east coast/michigan want to play some sets? Add me @ countblanc on PSN.

e: note i'm bad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Why in the world would they not release a changelog?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutcruncher posted:

Yesterday I didnt fight a ragequitter, but someone who would refuse to fight me ever again, constantly quitting and re-searching for a match.

That might be even sadder than a mid-match quit.

I had a guy like that a few weeks back, but it was particularly strange because he actually beat me (and it was a close match, so it wasn't like he was way out of my league). I guess he just hated the Kanji mirror?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'll be playing more soon since I'm moving to a place with an actual scene in a month, feel free to add me on PSN @ Countblanc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Fun posted:

Good games to countblanc tonight, have you played jmcrofts? You could learn some good Kanji tech from him.

Good games to you too crofts, although I've never been as mad in my life as when I was playing that Naoto in the lobby haha. How is his record so bad?

I haven't actually! And yeah GGs. I'm usually a bit more on the ball, but I haven't had a chance to really sink my teeth into the game since Youmacon a few weeks ago so I'm a bit out of practice. I'm hardly good, but trust me, I generally don't do walk up raw command grab haha. Also does Kanji's 5A really not come out fast enough to beat your 5D, or was that just online shenanigans? I was pretty sure I was hitting it in time, but I really don't know the matchup at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Fun posted:

Depends on the situation. If you block 5C and I do 5D, you beat it pretty consistently, but if I hit with 5C and then do 5D as far as I know no normals will beat it. I also cancel 5C on one hit instead of two to try and gently caress up your timing sometimes, so that could be it.

Oh word, I didn't even know you could cancel it. Thanks. Also your PSN name is really similar to one of my friend's who plays and I was confused why he was suddenly playing Elizabeth and like ten times as good as when I played him a few weeks back, whoops.

e: adding ya

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I'm going to go through and add some of you dudes that still play. I really want to get back into this. If anyone's going to be around this weekend I'll be up for a few rounds. Maybe we can get a room going or something. I'm super rusty and am probably going to get destroyed but it's all in good fun. :)

I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like lobbies because I get bored if I have to wait my turn, but if you want to play some sets I'd be down later this weekend. PSN Countblanc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Fun posted:

You should be warned that those are by far the two hardest characters to win with.

I'd argue that Yosuke is harder to use effectively than Elizabeth, assuming he's playing against people of similar skill levels.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zetta_Slow posted:

Is there any point at all in charging Kanji's moves? Are they just fake outs? I've used them a few times to trick people into a back jump, but other than the air one, I don't see the point of the charging.

They don't get extra properties from charging, if that's what you mean.

Also ggs jmcrofts. Was that your first game ever as teddie because somehow I feel like I was getting the ol sandbag for a while there

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's fine, no worries. During our kanji matches I'd notice you beating my 2B with jC and then for the next match remember not to 2B, and then completely forget by the match after that. Whoops.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

The best way to deal with Kanjis fishing for 2b with jC is just to go up in the air after him. A lot of characters can get a counterhit AA which combos into good damage. Your kanji is pretty good but you need to air tackle less (and I need to fall for it less :sweatdrop:)

Yeah I know, I'll have good streaks where I only use it with proper traps, but then I get beaten once or twice and my mind goes to poo poo and suddenly I'm using it every time I jump and getting blown up for it. Is there an easy way out of that delayed Cruel Attack into command grab other than not teching? I tried DPing and using the D grab and both got beaten.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zetta_Slow posted:

THIS. I always go to poo poo when I get beaten and end up spamming my furious or the air grab. I'm also having problems linking the air combos. I may just give up and use all outs into D and the 2B it, if that works...
Also, I don't understand what a DP in this game is. Isn't that the shoryuken command? Or am I just really confused?

People generally use it to mean your furious action, since they're often DP-esque (Yu's being the most obvious, but they're generally at least partially invincible or just general "get out free" high risk options).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zetta_Slow posted:

Wait, does Kanji have any options on his all out attack with D? Or is only the air C command grab combo it?

The Practical Kanji Combo vid on youtube has one option.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really like the size of the cast so I wouldn't really be torn up about them just rebalancing a bit instead of adding more characters. Though I guess it probably doesn't help that I've never played a Persona game so I don't really care about the characters beyond what they do in P4A.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mumblyfish posted:

50 online matches played, and still Grade F-. That must be an absolute record for sheer suck. Yeesh! Question: Is there some trick to doing quarter-circle inputs online? I can manage them offline like... 90% of the time. Maybe half the time if it's double quarter-circle. Online, though? Basically never. I've had a couple of flukes, but nothing reliable.

There's a good chance you're just panicking. It's easy to do poo poo in training mode, but when you actually get thrown into a match you need to focus on so much poo poo that it's easy to let your execution slide. Just keep doing stuff until that 90% becomes a 99%, and keep playing matches. If I had to offer any more concrete advice it'd be to focus on your execution during matches and less about actually winning, but just drilling motions for a while isn't a bad idea.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The only offline mode worth a drat is Training Mode (and maybe whatever the one is that teaches you some basic combos), to be honest. Fighting Game AI reads your inputs and reacts in really unnatural ways most of the time, so it really isn't worth much beyond getting used to hit confirming random hits into full combos, and you can practice those better in real matches if you don't mind losing a lot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
P4A seems really complicated because it has the Arcsys touch of having a million little systems in the game, but actually playing it is pretty simple compared to tons of other games. P4A is a fine choice for learning, and it's all really pretty so that helps.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zetta_Slow posted:

So, I just uploaded another ranked video last night, and would love some tips about what to fix, and what I'm doing wrong here and there. In your opinions, what is the best followup to a non ch 2b, I just stick with 236C 236B, but there must be something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAd6Z9VQIY

Like me, you use a few too many air dives, try to cut back on them. Like during the first match you paralyze the other player and then just airdive (and it works for god knows what reason), and then you do the same thing but without the paralyzation against the Naoto who counters it. Also, during that same Naoto match, you end with a follow up Cruel Attack when you had enough meter to do the ex version. It didn't end up mattering, but there's really no reason not to just confirm the kill with the meter.

e: I think you would have got the kill during the first Labyrs match too with an EX cruel attack. Also, make sure to learn the super grab full screen follow ups, EX dive is the easiest if you have the meter. You might know them already but you didn't even attempt it in the Labrys fight so I wasn't sure.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 11, 2012

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Maid posted:

I picked up this game like a week ago and I've been playing with a small group of guys from #vita, but I'm at like 0 and 8 despite spending a lot of time (admittedly) in challenge mode. I've tried out just about every character and while Kanji is a lot of fun to play as, I still can't get my poo poo together enough to win a match. I've taken a few rounds but well uh...

Any chance I could get a beginner's course ala Yosuke from a few pages ago?

Just as a heads up, 0:8 is a pretty small sample. I have something close to 400 games under my belt online and probably 150-200 in person, and am still completely awful (though I also have zero fighting game experience outside of half a year of melty blood). This isn't to discourage you, quite the opposite; Losing your first 8 games is basically nothing to be ashamed of at all. Unfortunately I don't have nearly as much useful information as the dude who posted that amazing Yosuke post, but the Kanji page on the Dustloop wiki might be a good place to start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

apple posted:

I recorded a set against a Liz the other day, with commentary even, so you can see what I do against her:

This is really cool, thanks

• Locked thread