Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ouhei posted:

And stare at the scion badge on my steering wheel airbag every time I get in the car? No thanks.

Is it juvenile? Maybe but I don't like the Scion brand at all. I dislike the way they market their vehicles and don't really want to directly support the brand. From launch pictures I don't like some of the changes they made in the car either.

That's a pretty amazing point of view. I don't hang out in AI, but I was checking this thread because I love my 07 tC. Sure, I'm not a car nut and when I bought it, really not all that interested in cars and "driving." Since I got my car though, wow, what an amazingly fun thing to drive. I have a hard time driving anything else.

So yes, the commercials are stupid and the marketing is stupid, and yes, maybe the tC is a car for Jersey ricer fags. But you know what? I'm glad I didn't know that at the time. It's a fantastic car for the price, and the new Toyotoa/Scion/Subaru seems to be a big improvement. If you're in a huff because of the brand, that's a shame and you're missing out. But at least you can buy the Subaru. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God drat that Toyota is a sexy car. But I swore to myself I would keep my 07 Scion tC until I can buy an all-electric car. Ugh!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God, after reading that review I really want to test drive the Toyota. But then I'll be forced to buy it.

I love having no car payments. I love having no car payments. I love having no car payments.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'll be the first to say I don't really belong in AI because I have no clue about what I'm talking about, but 200 bhp without a turbo doesn't exactly sound anemic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

Only if he's had his (baby) teeth whitened.

Honestly should be mandatory for anyone in the UK. Just make it part of the NHS.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Laserface posted:

if your antivirus picks anything up its a false positive as I managed to view it fine but some others have noted it.

On a PDF? Yeah, I don't think so.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you for the fantastic Google link. I am completely unaware of what a PDF 0 day exploit is and my comment was not along the lines of "yeah, I'll be opening a PDF that is uploaded to MediaFire about a car that is very popular right now and also has a 'false positive'".

But I read everything from your link and am now much more informed! Thanks Goon!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wrong Thread, hurf

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rabble posted:

Scion.com updated with FR-S standard features list.

What a sexy, sexy car. But my 07 tC has been paid off for a year and I really don't want car payments again... :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Both of them are surprisingly ugly. They look like something out of the 80s.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PT6A posted:

The tC just made no sense whatsoever, in my opinion. As best as I can tell, I was the target demographic, and it didn't even rate a test drive when I was looking for a car. Why would any sane person buy a FWD, fairly underpowered coupe? It doesn't have handling, it doesn't have power, and it doesn't have practicality. At most, it was a slightly interesting looking car for not too much money. That was it. It's reasonably heavy for what it is, and its fuel economy is poo poo.

Scion became too focused on image, and not enough on anything that makes cars worthwhile to buy. Hopefully the FR-S represents the start of a turnaround. Sadly, the only thing it represents to the main market of people who would buy FR-Ss is a history of poor decisions and failure.

I'm not a huge car nut, but as I've said several times in this thread I love my tC. Tons of space to move stuff around and to me the handling and acceleration is great. It's not a track car. I don't expect to drift through corners on a 5 lane road. I love the way the car feels. Any time I drive something else it feels awkward.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God drat it. Trying to constantly repeat to myself "wait for the used models, wait for the used models, wait for the used models..."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Improved upforce. What will happen to that car?

When I originally bought my tC, like 2 weeks later I got hit by a hailstorm of that magnitude. Every panel was damaged, other than the rough because that is made out of some sort of glass and did not dent or crack.

Was about 4-5k worth of damage. I've tried to block it from my memory. Really sucks to have your first car banged to poo poo before you even make the first payment.

I'd imagine they'll repair it and sell it as a used model.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yummers posted:

I wouldn't mind being the one to pick that car up at a discount.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Use the money saved to throw in one of those turbos everybody keeps talking about. :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So do all these 3rd party turbos void the warranty? I know jack all about cars, but I will say adding a little more umpf to a FR-S / BRZ is making it harder and harder not to buy one...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If they make a turbo FR-S I am all over that poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hate you people. I have been really trying not to buy this car. My 2007 tC has been paid off for a good while now and is starting to show it's age, but my fiance and I just got engaged and I'm sure there will be wedding expenses...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

While we're on the topic, are there any goons that have driven a turbo FR-S / BRZ? How is it versus a stock model?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

Supposedly new details on official TRD supercharger.

http://www.ft86club.com/?p=2540

I hope to god that this takes at least a year to make it to market or I am going to be making some terrible financial decisions.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Where's my turbo. ;__; And no, not the $25,000 one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Only because I can't buy a Toyobaru yet. :(

Have seen a few on the road and they look great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

After waiting for a few years i finally pulled a trigger on a new car. Picked up the Hot Lava or something other color. 6spd with just the spoiler.

I have already put 400 miles on the car and have only owned it 2 days, every mile has been an absolute BLAST!!! This thread has moved quite a bit in the past 6 months so i have a lot of catching up to do. Anything crucial a new FRS owner should know? (other than not being an idiot in the corners)

Next on the to-do list is probably that TRD intake, Strut bar and i REALLY want some Gunmetal TE-37s or WORK Emotions on this bad boy.

God, that is a good looking car and the exact color I have been drooling over. Congrats!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

I've owned the car for 6 days and i fall in love with it a little more each day. MAN they made a fun fun car to drive, it will do whatever you want it to do in the corners its so, nimble, so ready to do whatever you want it to do.

I'm trying to figure out how i want to modify the car now but i'm afraid of throwing off the balance of what i think is an amazingly balanced car.(Coming from a Mustang GT, Scion TC, Tacoma x-runner)I am definitely going to go with the TRD intake, seems like every one is really happy with that one. Its been so long since I've modded a car, are Tein springs still awesome springs or is there another brand people prefer to use on these cars? I've looked all over the ft86 boards but i am just not a fan of that layout/its really hard to find what i want to on there.

I know this is going to get me laughed at, but humor me for a second. How does it compare to the TC?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

PS. I went through this whole thread last night and saw the picture of you and your wife standing next to the FRS... GOD drat you are tall, i am surprised you fit so comfortably. I feel like these seat bolsters are going to crack my ribs at times.

Thanks for the comparison. I think I'll miss the center console and the cargo space of the TC. Not sure if the commend about being tall, but that wasn't me. I vaguely remember commenting about that picture, though. The reason I do think have an FRS yet is because I am getting a wife instead. And she keeps rubbing it in my face, commenting about how good the FRS / BRZ looks every time we see one!

To me it sounds like the FRS is everything I like about my TC, but done much better.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bluetooth issues are related to Android 4.2. They changed the Bluetooth stack and it introduced a lot of problems. The next Android update should improve things significantly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

People like you graduate into people who never buy a car new.

No poo poo. Bought my first car new. A couple of weeks later I sign a year lease on my first apartment after moving across the country. Was laying in the living room right after having gotten the keys thinking "Internet Explorer, you've done alright. Nice new car. Nice new apartment." 5 minutes later and the heavens opened up. Hail the size of baseballs. $5k worth of damage and a dent in every single body panel. I basically gave up instead of having a nervous breakdown. Still own the car almost 7 years later.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

GReddy's turbo kit is out:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/3086/greddy--fr-sbrz-t518z-tuner-turbo-kit.aspx
$2500 plus significant supporting mods for +90hp.

Looks like it's 5200 not 2500, but thanks for the link.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So on a scale from 1 to 10, how bad would getting an FRS/BRZ be for someone who has never driven in the snow and is thinking about moving to an area like Colorado? I have read of a couple of people "garaging" the car for the winter and I have heard rear-wheel drive can be the most difficult in the snow. Just how difficult are we talking here?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

highmodulus posted:

Liked these for a while, remember when they were being sold well over MSRP when released. I went to the local-ish Suburu dealer to drive a new WRX hatch they had in, and decided to see if I could fit in the 2013 Silver BRZ Premium they had sitting there (I have long legs, and my left leg hit the steering wheel on clutch out before). With a bunch of fiddling, I found a good position for me- so I said what the heck and test drove it for fun. I really liked it- its a fun, willing little car.

Then I drove the WRX hatch I had come out to drive- it was more powerful, bigger and not nearly as fun. I liked the BRZ a lot more. And the dealer was highly motivated to move the BRZ as it was a 2013. So he offered me a surprisingly good deal on it. So now I own a BRZ.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this. I am dying for a new car and have been going back and forth between an FRS and a WRX hatch. I'm leaning towards the WRX hatch because of all the extra cargo room, the extra go, and AWD as I may be moving to a snowy climate, but I just can't shake lusting over the FRS/BRZ.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Since the thread was bumped...

I traded in my 2002 WRX on Thursday for a new 2015 BRZ Limited Series.Blue.

I have about 200 miles on it since then and it's been a riot. Switching between this and my 2011 WRX has been...interesting.

I had been eyeing the FRS/BRZ for the past 2-3 years as shoe-in for a new car. Once they came out I drove one and loved the way it drove, it was just a bit too cramped and didn't have the utility I wanted. I ended up going with a 2014 WRX hatch and have been super happy with it, but I'm not going to lie, I still eye gently caress every FRS/BRZ I pass by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wallaka posted:

The main pipeline servicing the southeast US ruptured last week, spilling somewhere north of 350,000 gallons. It's still not operational.

I somehow hadn't heard about that, but it's like perfect timing with the whole North Dakota pipeline thing going on.

• Locked thread