Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh wonderful, a thread where I can dork out over the Dragon Ball Z and GT CCGs made by Score. I'll have to get a write-up done on the game's mechanics ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I had a handful of Gundam Wing cards for a few months in 2002 before I traded them all away for more DBZ stuff. Was that ever a thing?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

soscannonballs posted:

Still waiting for someone to do a DBZ TCG write up. I played the poo poo out of that in high school and still have all my cards and some decks sleeved up.

I'm working on it I'm working on it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One day, I will do that DBZ CCG write-up.

In the meantime, anyone who is still awake can relive a little bit of it by watching this stream on Twitch.TV.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DocRanger posted:

Any good FREE non-collectible card games?
I want to print out the cards and play a couple of games with my younger relatives.

There's a fun game that I played at GP Indianapolis with my host called Yomi that you should check out. It's inspired by fighting games and is based on a rock-paper-scissors system, and if you win you can then follow up your successful attack with a number of extra attacks.

There are two editions of the game that you can get, depending on what kind of money you want to spend. There is a manufactured version that will run you $100 that comes with everything, two decks that are paired with each other for $25, or an electronic edition that you can print out and play with for $15.

Spec it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DocRanger posted:

Yomi is not exactly what I was looking for, but thanks all the same. I learned the term "print-and-play", after all.

I missed the free part, but $15 for the whole game and you get to print it all out at will is pretty good.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Icy Penguigo posted:

Ask me anything you want to know about the DBZ card game (any iteration produced by Score.) I played competitively from 2002 until Score lost the license in 2006 and could probably write 100 pages on the topic. Funny story, Score lost the license basically because whoever was in charge at the time had a petty argument with Funimation and wanted to "stick it to them" by not renewing the license. That was the end of a long, tragic saga :downs:

That's what did it in?! I don't remember if Chippy's blog on the whole story ever concluded and I hadn't heard anything like that before. DBZCCG forums tend to be written by people who type with their feet and are an over-reactive bunch, so I avoid those places for the most part.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't mind power ratings so much because when I do play, I still prefer to play with Cell LV. 1 HT Namekian and pile on as many physical attacks that remain as possible (though I believe that Namekian Combo is the only Namekian style card that does that). A pile of Cell, Jrs. make it more fun, but then it's just a matter of getting myself low enough in power stages to let them finish the job.

lighttigersoul posted:

Yeah, I used to play the game and I avoid the online community.

There was a tournament held at GenCon this year by RetroDBZ, and they made a handful of changes for the event. It wasn't something that I had any hope of attending, but I was rather displeased with the idea that they decided to ban Supreme West Kai from the event rather than removing her special rule for defense. She's still a very powerful personality without it, but making her play by the same rules as everyone else changes it up greatly.

They also made some discussion about changing the way Sensei Decks worked and making it so that you could choose which cards you were sideboarding from your deck, something exclusive to Piccolo Sensei, rather than what leaves your mainboard being up to random chance. At the time it was introduced, I had no problem with how the Sensei deck worked, but after four years of Magic, I look back on it and wonder why in the hell Score would want a sideboarding mechanic be so clumsy to use. It made it so that the only cards that were really worthwhile to use in your Sensei deck were "Sensei deck only" cards while the cards that could be in the maindeck from the start for certain match-ups were hardly as appealing because you couldn't choose what you sideboarded out.

...but in the end the online community made their vote or whatever with the finesse of their fists and said no to that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Me too. I never had any copies of Earth's Spirit Bomb until 2008, but I was playing Android 19 Orange the moment I got my hands on a Buu Saga Orange Style Mastery and Orange Reflex made things so wonderful.

Orange and Namekian Style supremacy, aw yeah.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I was burnt out after getting halfway through Baby Saga. Even though we played Expanded rather exclusively, there was still this whole "first set of a new game" feeling with it that just made it feel like there was too little to do. Or something. I was seventeen and having a hard time keeping up with everything.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I have this really awful idea of making new templates For Score's DBZ CCG with updated rules text and maybe some other changes to streamline the writing on cards to make them easier to understand but otherwise the same. Of course that would mean watching that awful show all the way through again just to get screenshots of the right frames.

But, if I went through the trouble to get one set done or get all the templates made, would anyone be interested in helping with the project or getting a PDF of the proxy cards?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I assume that Score-era cards are going to be compatible with the new ones. I hope so, because Cell Namekian Ally 4 lyfe.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every set came with its staple cards, but I think the biggest problem of that game was that so many power cards and key cards for certain decks were ultra rares and promos. I realize that good ultra rares sell product, but when you can't compete because you don't have a Fatherly Advice or You're Invited or missed the wrapper redemption for Cell Saga promos, things get out of hand.

Edit: I'm also still sore at the Retro DBZ people for outright banning Supreme West Kai instead of just removing her special rule. Or would she still be so insanely powerful that a ban would still be necessary?

Which reminds me, the other thing I don't think anyone liked was that card errata would end up completely replacing the card text. Change Piccolo, the Trainer's constant combat power to be a power that must be used during combat? Fine. Completely rewrite Vegeta, Settled Down? Jesus what were you people thinking before this card went to print?

Star Man fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 18, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The other thing I'm interested in knowing is if a card in PanZ is an identical reprint of a Score card, can I play with the older edition? The Saiyan mastery previewed is obviously not okay since it has a different title, but would Confrontation be okay?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That's good. I was the rules lawyer in my playgroup out in the sticks in Wyoming, so it would be tough to communicate those rules because of our rather casual environment.

I remember the Retro DBZ people trying to change the sensei deck rules and that changing them to be the same as the GT sensei deck rules were on the list of options. Which in all honesty it should have been in the first place when the card type was introduced in World Games Saga. The whole idea of the cards that you take out are random instead of selected was also really dumb. Oops, I just swapped out one of my Dragon Balls I need for my Dragon Ball victory deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ho boy, I just dropped $30 for all five Comic Con promos on eBay. Can't seem to find anywhere besides eBay to pre-order any product. Hopefully I can find people in Denver that are interested in the game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, it's all five cards.

I also just looked at the regular Goku card and saw that his highest power stage is 9,001. We just can't let that stupid meme die.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just saw the other one. At least there's an analog to Aura Clash even if it means having to live like it's 2006 again. I'm looking at the demo decks on the Retro DBZ site and god drat they need to provide larger images without me having to click on them again to see them.

If there's one thing I hope gets reprinted, it's all three rare blue cards from Cell Saga. Those were pretty fun cards and I still regret to this day never playing blue Krillin beatdown before World Games Saga. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I'm way too excited about this.

I also like that "removed from the game" and some other terms have been keyworded and that a few keywords have been borrowed from the DBGT TCG. The text on these cards still seem like they could use a little bit of cleaning up, "his" should be "his or her", and the keyword "remain" could stand to come back, but I'm sure that'll be ironed out over time.

Icy Penguigo posted:

I know a bunch of distributors and can probably hook you up with one. There are at least two or three people selling product on the Retro DBZ Discussion Facebook page, including the person I'm buying my product from.

That would be fantastic. I'm going to see if anywhere I like to go to in Denver is picking this up first, but I'll send you a PM if Black Gold or Denver Central Games isn't getting this stuff and if I can't convince either to.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, that's a good thing too. A handful of personalities did get progressively better the further along they leveled up, like Trunks Saga Frieza 1-3, Uub, Tapkar, Supreme West Kai, and Zarbon. When I played orange Android 19, I would always try to reach level 3 because it was such an amazing personality power. But you're right, everything revolved around the best level one powers. I'd always try to build around Aura Clash and choose good level two and higher powers and you'd luck out sometimes with certain personalities like Cell's level two, but the decks that hinged on a main personality's level one were always hosed by it.

Though I do remember when there was an errata to Piccolo, the Trained that made him gain two anger every time his power was used and it actually made the card even better. Get to WGS level two, use the personality power, play Namekian's Strike and tutor for Supreme Kai's Ki Push, and start the whole chain over again. God drat was that deck stupid and amazing. Too bad I didn't get my playset of Namekian's Strikes until a week after the deck was killed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think the only other question I have about Panini DBZ is about the starter decks. The listings I'm seeing on eBay and other websites taking pre-orders have deals for starter decks A and B. Are there only two different starter decks or are there several. Trying to figure out oif I should get a starter box or just one of each.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Weird. And I saw on the Facebook page that the release has been pushed back to October. Gives me a little more time to save up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No, it's now set for October 17 according to their Facebook page. Product will be shipping on October 8th. Of course people are already bitching and moaning, but that's the date that Panini itself seems to have set and told the people running the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/paninidbz

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Icy Penguigo posted:

Yeah, that's the first hard date Panini has announced, it's not likely to change at this point. I would be thankful for having a few extra weeks to save up, but I'm actually putting my order in this Friday.

Where are you ordering from? Both stores I frequent don't have any plans to order product yet. One told me that they've gotten some interest from other people, but they don't know yet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That's a lot of text for a card. I hope it's 4x6 or something.

That character also has only ribbons covering her tits.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Panini DBZ Blog is now up. There is a link to the rulesbook's PDF file so you can refresh your memory of the game and see what's different.

Though the most striking things that I see are different is that there's not mention of Saiyan or Namekian heritage.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 11, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I preordered a starter deck box and booster box of Panini DBZ. Hopefully I can find somewhere in Denver that will support the game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there enough interest out there to get a Score/Panini DBZ thread started or should we just congregate here for the tine being?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oi. I went out to a store listed on Panini's website today to find out if they have any events planned in the future. They almost had no idea what I was talking about. Good thing I pre-ordered a box of starter decks, so I'll have decks to demo the game with to pull some people in with.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'll get started on something this weekend. I'll include as much as I can about the game during 2000-2004.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Got my DBZ stuff today. Learned that every starter deck comes with a random high tech card that can be a personality or a mastery card alongside the other five high tech cards in the pack. And for some reason all of my starter decks came with an extra copy of Blue Round Through instead of Orange Truck Lift.

Got quite a bit of nice things out of my booster box as well. Stare Down, Namek Dragon Ball 7, most of the rare named cards, and several other staples for each style. Among my foils were Dragon Radar, Black Reflection, and MOTHER loving VILLAINOUS VISAGE.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BJPaskoff posted:

I tried the DBZ game. It being fun aside, the designers really need a lesson in templating. If a card has more than one ability, it's a mess of words and all the abilities are written in one block of text. They should have used some big, clear symbols on the cards for things like endurance. Also there's a reason Magic has abilities written as "Cost: Effect". You could probably write things like "an energy attack costing 2 stages to perform" in a much more succinct way.

Strangely enough, there were things like that when Score was printing cards for Dragon Ball GT (which are also compatible with Panini's cards!). Observe:

The type of attack and what kind of damage it deals is in that box on the right. The field with that big white numeral was for endurance. Cards that didn't have endurance used a zero, but there was always something listed there. In the text box, a number followed by a colon indicated the cost in power stages required for the card. Sometimes it would be a different requirement, but it was always followed by a colon.

But instead, the Panini people are following too closely to the old templating.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
From what I can tell, Piccolo Namekian and Trunks Saiyan are pretty good decks so far. Still need to try out Goku Orange and Krillin Black.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've been playtesting with Vegeta in a red deck and relying on critical hits to quickly gain anger is just not enough. I just love how the style that's built around winning the game by MPPV can't compete with the style built around discard pile manipulation at its own game. Namekian Knowledge Mastery is just so good. It's a style that supports all three victories.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am not looking forward to seventeen pages of card changes again. They have got to figure this poo poo out before it goes to print.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm okay with certain decks being the best until the next set comes out.

I guess my problem is that I used to carry a copy of the CRD with me everywhere that I played. My playgroup was almost entirely made up of high schoolers in 2001-2004, and it was always a loving killjoy to everyone, even during sanctioned events, whenever I had to point out a card's ability being changed. I'd really rather that Aik and friends don't let this become a habit again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Panini has put up a new FAQ for DBZ on their blog. Nothing too big, but they clarified the "playing" vs "putting into play" thing that I'm familiar with from FFG LCGs. Makes all those Namekian cards that put Dragon Balls into play a little less ridiculous, at least.

Namekian Knowledge Mastery reads, "whenever a Dragon Ball enters play". So it gets around the rule. What's also entertaining is that it doesn't specify who controls the Dragon Ball, so the Mastery triggers if your opponent plays a Dragon Ball.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I saw a Hoenn boxset at Walmart today that can also function as a lunchbox.

Also include some Pokémon-themed sleeves. Even if she doesn't play, the point is to help the kid learn how to take care of her things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ugh. I dropped about $200 on DBZ stuff and have yet to find anywhere in Denver that hosts events.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Countblanc posted:

DBZ has always been an east coast game. I'm not really sure why, but most of the best players come from there, or Texas (I think it was Texas, it's been a while). Obviously that was a decade ago, but I'm not really surprised to hear things haven't changed, unfortunately. Maybe ask a game store if they'd consider running something during the week? It's weird, my campus game club doesn't even know the game exists, despite having people show up every week to play poo poo like Vanguard, but there's still two weeklies within 30 minutes of me.

I think there is one place out in Aurora, but the 20-mile drive is discouraging. I really do need to call them.

Something I have encountered is that several game stores that are nearer to me are aware of the game and have had a few people ask about it, so I know that there's some interest in the metro Denver area.

EDIT: Welp. Sunday at noon in Aurora it is.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Orange Android 19 player in me smiles when an Orange deck is a good deck in the meta.

• Locked thread