Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Can someone give me some advice on why I can't catch them on the 2nd land of my Doom buk combo?

lovely cell video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zavx8YAxEG0

I feel like I'm not getting the j.M after the 2nd launcher fast enough, or I'm not letting them drop enough when I land the first time. Maybe it's both.

Also, is it better to let the j.M rock after the launch and hit fully, or should I cancel to the foot dive ASAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

The problem with vanilla was that the dynamic menu and char select music was good, but you can't use those and have character themes in the game play.

Is this fixed in Ultimate?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Zexerous posted:

Anyone with any gif making skill able to make me a Phoenix Wright club avatar?

Where the gently caress is the club template?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lothire posted:

Braved the online world outside the danger room for the first time today. Unfortunately, I'm still as mentally unstable and unbelievably salty as I was when playing vanilla. Really takes a lot out of me. Looking to air out my experience (Playstation Network).

I find Maximilian's preview fairly well accurate. I don't suffer from dropped inputs on simple combos anymore (sadly I'm still unable to perform anything more advanced than a magic series because I'm bad at this game). However, I feel the overall delay in input has increased since vanilla. Perhaps it's just me and the lobbies I was in, but it took a great deal of mental adjustment every match just to get into any sort of flow.

Speaking of matches, I lost a bunch. 3/11 in fact. Looks like a lot of people are going back to the big guys again so input delay becomes less a problem (hulk, nemesis, sentinel). Could just be new players grabbing the easy guys, could also be top rank players stat padding off us scrubs. I wouldn't know, since all the ranks were resent. Either way, it's a bit frustrating. Still, gotta learn to deal with these guys eventually - even if you aren't allowed to punish some things that local play wouldn't be a problem. My biggest gripe is not being able to grab dudes out of the air well because of how fickle that can be.

Despite all that, I had fun. While trying to cool off my anxiety between matches, watching others play just as badly (sometimes worse, amazingly enough) than me is refreshing. Watching tournament players on streams tends to cause me to forget most people aren't playing on that level. It'd be nice if we had a goon lobby of some sort so that I could get feedback on what I'm doing wrong. You know, outside the obvious combo dropping and frantic button mashing.

You sound a lot like me. I'd love to play you but I'm on xbox.

I just kept playing online. Ignore the record. Play everyone you can. Don't worry about combos, don't worry about losing. Just learn to block and get in. Gotta beat that anxiety. I can spend all day off line and do sweet Morrigan jump loops or fly combos, or recently I learned Doom's BuK loop (which he really doesn't need anymore) but as soon as I play a human it goes to poo poo. None of that matters if you can't learn to get in and start the combo.

Once you do it enough you can get past that anxiety a bit and then start pulling out the combos and setups you practiced.

Also, for anyone interested, I went back to SSF4 for a awhile and learning to do combos in that game really helped me in Marvel. Having to be so precise with the inputs and timing in that game really prepared me for Marvel.

So Wolverine: I didn't think SWISS CHEESE would be an issue. I don't mash out my combos or c.Ls, but then it started effecting me in places I didn't think it would. At the start of a match when trying to throw, and most importantly going for the slide to OTG after a throw or flying screen. Gotta adjust to that, but it's hard because it's not like Skrull or Chun where they always had that limitation.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

So does "increases the chance of obtaining rare cards for Capcom characters" mean cards of capcom characters or, I have to use capcom characters to get shots are rare cards?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Kageneko posted:

So does "increases the chance of obtaining rare cards for Capcom characters" mean cards of capcom characters or, I have to use capcom characters to get shots are rare cards?

Increases chances of getting capcom cards.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

It's cool but his opponent had no idea what to do or was throwing the match. He was just chilling back letting wright power up while trying to zone him? that is not what you do to wright. And he wasted so many meters on loving maya shield. It was really bad.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

It's an interesting dynamic because it seems like the characters to beat Morrigan are not good against the other top tier characters/teams.

Also props to Chris G. Doing getting the motion down is one thing, but being able to do it consistently on demand and to turn it on and off as needed is pretty tough.

Did you know it's possible to do it too fast and fly cancel the soul fist before the fireball comes out? Pain in the rear end.

Pretty sure Justin has said he doesn't have the execution to do it himself.

I wonder if putting Akuma on point was less about the meter and more about giving his arm a break.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Nonbaka posted:

The sad thing is that I can do Doom's footdive combo consistently in training. My lack of experience against other players and playing online had me bumbling like I just picked up the game though. I'm going to try playing online a bit more to try to get used to it and maybe I'll do better next time.

I played some casuals after I was eliminated and had some luck replacing Doom with Wesker. I guess I'm that guy.

I have this same problem sometimes. Even after playing fighters for the last two years pretty consistently.

Three things I can offer as advice:

1) Keep at it. Don't get discouraged. You'll eventually get used to getting that hit confirm, and you won't get so excited that you mash your combo, or that you panic so much that you flat our freeze up and drop it.

2) Grind those combos. Even though you can do it consistently in training keep going back in there and spending a little bit on it. Do it on different sized characters. You want it to be so habitual that your hands will just do it even if your brain is still trying to process the situation.

3) Realize that when you're online, you're going to just flat out drop poo poo sometimes because it's online. I always thought it was me because I only ever played online for months after the game came out. Once I got to play in person, I tore it up. It was so much better.

Some guys can do those long combos online but they're probably just more experienced. It doesn't matter just get back in there and try to hit it next time.

Hope all of that helps.

So throughout the day I have been booting the game up for a bit to work on Doom's TAC/Marlin Pie/swag combo. I probably spend about 3 hours total. I am getting pretty consistent with it, but just now I had to stop because my loving right index finger is shooting pain through my arm every time I slap those Ls (or S for fly). :(

Working on that combo is so great though. It's like all of the Doom combos I worked on over the last year were individual parts, and now I'm putting the whole thing together.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGp29UPcEE

Watch Maximillian's Assist Me videos. He goes really in depth into character's moves and combos.

Does he cover Zero. Looking to link a friend to something to help him learn the basics, but I can't find an assist me that covers zero. His episode titles suck and I think search is useless because Zero is a number.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Zero is like one of the most execution heavy characters in the game, imho. He's definitely worth learning because he's unambiguously one of the best characters in the game but unless you're comfortable holding down a button the entire time you're playing and doing your combos I would not, personally, recommend for a new player to start playing with Zero.

Just look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WVwkqIxask

I mean, play who you want, but you should be realistic about your execution barriers if you're a new player. It will make the game a lot more fun for you in the beginning.

He's not new to fighters or Marvel. He wants to get serious with Zero. Looking for something that explains what moves are good in what situations, what mixups to run on incoming characters, what assists are good, and team building strategies. That kind of stuff.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

2-3 times a week I put this game in, go to training mode and practice foot-foot dive, hyper grav loops, and fly/unfly soul fists. I pretty much have it down. It's very consistent and I can pretty much do them without even thinking about it.

And then I go online and I can't do any of it.

Today I was trying to foot-foot dive and just getting M then S foot dive. I guess I was doing it too fast. It was throwing all my timing off. So when I'd land I'd do M then hard kick. Which just fucks up the timing on my next loop start. I'd try to slow it down, but then I'd miss other parts like the ADD or the OTG because I had to think about it again. Then I'd get all flustered because I know my hands are doing it the way I did it 1000x before, but it's not coming out with that I know I'm doing.

Then the guy I'm playing just turns around and does the combo I'm trying to do just fine.

So what is it? Do I just play online forever until I can do combos, or do I adjust that lag thing in training mode? If that works, what happens when I play offline? Will I have to adjust again?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

You just need to adjust to the the timing a bit for those special characters, which can take a little bit to get used to.

Sentinel you want to pause a split second before you jump. I recommend turning off the "Hold S to auto super jump after launch" option. After you get used to that slight pause, connecting MMHS is easy. If you don't feel confident in it during a match you can just do MHS which is pretty easy for sent to do.

Also in the corner it's easier to just jump straight up, then do MMHS. If you go up-forward, sent can push up against them, and they push on the wall, which moves sent slightly up and over them. This can make one of your moves miss.

When you feel saucy you can try the MH fly LLMHS which I found can be more consistent if you aren't sure you have the right angle. But just watch out with the Ls after the Fly if you play someone online. I tend to drop that online a lot.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Dias posted:

Hard might be misleading, I just have trouble grasping the hitstun decay and OTG timing (especially with assists) for some reason. Not that I've put any significant amount of time on Marvel, but I had a much easier time with P4A, Melty and even Skullgirls. It's personal more than anything.

I suck at Skull girls simply because you can cancel at any time. So the fact that I can't use the hit stun to buffer the cancel drives me nuts. (read: I mash).

I still can't do a god drat hyper grab loop after months of on and off practice. I can do all kinds of fun magnetic blast combos, but it all falls apart when I hit the corner and can't end it proper.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Some of these suggestions are really dumb when they're considered together. Nerf "x" character's good buttons, nerf their specials, nerf their teleports, their xfactor damage and speed, their assists, and their TAC combos and infinites.

Now x character is completely wrecked into Hsien-Ko tier.

Does anyone seriously think Phoenix needs more nerfing? The only people still playing her are heavily reliant on TAC combos and infinites. Remove those and it makes things a whole lot harder for her. Yes, she changes the meta game, and your team's whole plan, but it's not like that's a bad thing. It's just another type of game plan like rush down, teleport mixups and zoning.

I have mixed feelings about TAC combos. The infinites can go, but I'm not sure about the combos. Cutting back on the characters that could do the good ones helps everyone else, but they are also some of the funnest combos in the game to pull off. It would be a shame if they went.

Same for hidden missiles nerfs. I'm okay with them dissapearing when someone gets hit, but don't do silly things like changing the amount or speed. Then we'd lose out on all of those really flashy combos where the missiles OTG across the screen and allows you to link it into an extension. That stuff is great.

I don't expect any sweeping changes from Capcom anyway. Assuming they do patch, they would play it safe. UMVC3 is still the most popular fighter right now, so I can't imagine they would do something like removing TACs, or severe xfactor, or teleport nerfs. Stuff like that wrecks the meta game it has going, and even if they acknowledge it needs some balancing, they aren't likely to do anything that rocks the boat.

And honestly I don't think they should. The game can use some changes, but the fewer changes they can make the better. I think most of the changes should be buffs to other characters. The only system change I like is the removal of TAC infinites.

As for Morrigan, I honestly think any nerfs but the astral vision meter building, will destroy her. However, if they do get rid of it, they should make it so that you keep astral vision when you tag out or use supers. Just like the other install supers.

Edit: Give Sentinel his health back!

itskage fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 21, 2013

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

People push block me out of the corner all of the time when I'm doing those L/shell kick mixups. Are you playing a big body where the jump Ls instant overhead? Only way I see that becoming a big issue.

Anyway, her damage is pretty terrible unless you do her really optimized combos which are really execution heavy and the good ones require the corner from the start. Although this doesn't make a huge difference at the highest levels of play, it is a factor.

I mean I didn't say I don't think she needs nerfing. But I don't want them to go overboard. The astral vision nerf would be huge. Plus possibly nerfing missiles, and TACs in the same patch. TAC combos give her meters for astral vision. Do we really think we should go beyond that? You'll cripple the character and remove one of the few viable zoning characters in the game.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hulk resets made me wonder. Can you option select forward/backward air H+S for a tech/throw or S? So like hulk gets S or throw, Morrigan gets shell kick or throw, etc?

If that is the case then I feel dumb for thinking about it now.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

itskage posted:

Hulk resets made me wonder. Can you option select forward/backward air H+S for a tech/throw or S? So like hulk gets S or throw, Morrigan gets shell kick or throw, etc?

If that is the case then I feel dumb for thinking about it now.

I had a chance to test this and no it does not. You do your s move in throw range which is actually pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Pixeltendo posted:

At least the Marvel side would have something interesting.

War Machine and US Agent.

• Locked thread