Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, that's the biggest problem I have with that design, too. I get that they're going for the classic analog watch face, but it's just going to look goofy with anything other than an analog dial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Was the OLED screen just a rumor, or something they actually mentioned? If the latter, I'm quite curious as to why that changed, as I'd imagine that would make a significant difference to the battery life.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Right, because there's nothing worth talking about until Apple (maybe) unveils their God device. :rolleyes:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Last Chance posted:

Not sure why you're rolling your eyes.

Because there's more than one wearable ecosystem, so calling to close the thread until Apple's comes out (which no one's even sure of at this point) is silly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ilkhan posted:

Day 2 report. Again off charger at 7:30, moderate usage until noon, then mostly sitting on my desk. 70% at 5:18pm.
Battery life concerns seem...overstated.

And yes, it charges fine off a standard Qi pad.

How do you feel about the responsiveness? I'm wondering if people go into it knowing that it's an older SoC, and so are predisposed to feel like it's laggy, or if it actually is laggy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ilkhan posted:

It stays lit while on the charger, yes. Black background, time, and a blue ring showing battery percentage. Should be simple to find an image. Its not super bright, a nice bedside clock.

Is there a way to turn it off? My wife turns into one of those creatures from the deep sea at night and hates any light in the bedroom.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can just flip it over

While it's charging? I don't think it can charge through the screen, unless I'm underestimating the range of Qi.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doesn't the charging dock have magnets to keep it attached to the back?

Oh, so you're suggesting upending the whole shebang, not just the watch. That might work, I dunno. Although the dock looks more like a cradle, so it might not use magnets. Someone who actually has one would have to speak to the existence or not of magnets.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Argyle posted:

This is why I'm sticking with my 360. Even knowing that the G Watch R will outperform my 360 in almost every capacity, I just really, really prefer the way the 360 looks.

I agree. Although the R would be a lot better if it didn't have the pips around the bezel, since it would eliminate the jarring effect that I feel is likely if you use a digital face with that watch.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's great and all, but I feel like this conversation is similar to the gently caress-off huge phone battery one: if it lasts a day of good use, who cares what percentage it's at when you put it on the charger, as long as it's still running? People are used to charging their [device] daily, so anything that doesn't break that routine is fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The problem is that the battery in that Moto360 will only have half of it's life in a year.

What are you basing this on? Phone batteries don't deteriorate THAT quickly. Did they use an inferior battery here?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

Somewhat related, setting Cinema Mode (or "Theatre" for the yanks) on will cause the 360 screen to switch off on the dock, which can be helpful if you don't actually use it as a desk clock and would rather it charge faster and not risk any screen burn.

Excuse me, it's "theater".

But this is good to know. I might be getting a 360 for Christmas, and my wife hates any light in the room, so this would get rid of that concern.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lblitzer posted:

Scored a 360 at Best Buy today for $150 with a two year replacement plan. Booyah

How'd you manage this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Huawei appears really thick, though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I appreciate that they have a specific message for those who browse without Javascript enabled.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rexxed posted:

Yeah for a somewhat barebones oldschool smartwatch it's not bad. It's very comfortable and doesn't have any functional issues that I can tell. The downsides of no touchscreen, only a few notification options, etc are mitigated a lot by the price point. I like it because it can act as a bluetooth trusted device to keep my phone unlocked if I want to and it's cheaper than a keyfob that does the same thing and doesn't show me the time/weather/email/whatever.

I bought one because while I like the idea of a smart watch (I always wear a watch), the current mainstream ones are too expensive for what you get in my opinion. Having an inexpensive one that's not cutting edge lets me play with one and use it regularly even though it will probably be a couple of years until I look into a pricey mainstream smartwatch.

If you're a big nerd like me here's there resources for developers page: http://www.metawatch.org/developers/ It doesn't seem to have the community of a pebble but it was only $15.

Where the hell are you seeing $15? Or is that a typo?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just restarted my 2nd-gen Moto 360 at over 80% battery and it shut down instead, I assume because it thought it was low on battery. What other wearables are out there that look like a normal metal watch? I want notifications of some sort, good battery life, and don't care about fitness or GPS.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm really digging this Galaxy Smartwatch so far, but should I not be able to read text messages on it? It just shows 'new message from _____', with options to respond, but I can't actually see the messages. I'm on a Pixel 2, and my SMS app is Signal (though I do use WhatsApp and some others from time to time).

Those are not, generally speaking, SMS apps. Do they have separate apps you can install on your watch to handle the interactions?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also looking for a recommendation. The year-old replacement battery on my second-gen Moto 360 is starting to die by mid-evening, and I don't really feel like replacing it again.

I'd like something that looks like a normal dress watch, does notifications, and had at least some level of face customization. I don't care about any fitness/heart tracking.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Silly Burrito posted:

Currently using the Mi Band 4 with this band from eBay. I turn off the sleep tracking and heartbeat tracking and have been getting 2-3 weeks before I need to recharge. The only downside for me is that there's no faces that can display the weather directly on the face, but plenty of customization for looks.

Yeah, that... doesn't look like a normal watch.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

codo27 posted:

I can't believe there's still nothing out there with no fitness poo poo so we can have the option of battery life. I guess it's cause they really wanna track more than just your vitals

This 1000x. I couldn't care less about my steps or heart rate. I have no idea what kind of impact it has on the battery life, but removing or disabling those features can only extend the time on a charge.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Gripweed posted:

I wanted to get my dad a Fitbit for Father's Day, but all the ones they have now are crazy complicated and seem to require a subscription. I remember when they first came out and they just had five little lights to tell you if you did 10,000 steps, and an app so you could see your progress. I had one, it worked great. My dad's trying to be more active, a simple pedometer like the original Fitbit would have been perfect. I'm not buying him something that also requires a subscription and can get stuck in Golf Mode if you accidentally press the wrong button.

I loving hate living on the downside of the peak of technological progress.

Maybe just get him an old-school mechanical pedometer then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Gripweed posted:

Got any brand suggestions? I checked Amazon and then immediately rediscovered that Amazon is full of scam garbage now.

No, sorry. I had one that I think I found in my dad's toolbox years ago, but I have no idea what's relevant nowadays. It might be entirely possible that no one makes them anymore, which would be a drat shame.

Edit: I just poked around for a minute online and remembered the major difference between the mechanical pedometer I used a bit years ago and what things like a Fitbit are doing now: the former attempts to measure distance based on how many steps you take whereas the latter just counts the number of steps. Maybe there are mechanical step counters?

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 16, 2023