Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Lord Bude posted:

I was assuming they'd boost profits by saving those for adults only tie in DVDs. Wheel of time would make pretty decent hentai too.

Hmm. Pillow-friends, Compulsion, being held down by weaves of Air, Graendal being raped by that weird Myrdraal, you know what? I think I can see it.

Faile makes such an annoying tsundere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're both right in your own ways. You should never skip dialogue, but some things can safely be skipped, such as pages-long descriptions of women's clothing, or pages-long internal diatribes wherein Nynaeve elaborately blames every single problem in the world on everyone other than herself, to pick an example. In Wheel of Time these two things alone probably account for 600 pages' worth of safely skippable material, which does add up to a fair bit of your life that you won't get back.

Oh, come in now, Faile being captured by the Shaido Aeil took up waaaay more time than Nynaeve being unable to accept she causes her own problems.

One of my favourite things is how Tuon dismisses everything people around her say as barbarian superstition yet pays huge attention to her own omens and portents, and all her omens and portents were just the worst ones possible, all the time. She kind of reminds me of Daenerys's Dothraki handmaidens in ASoIaF, repeating incredibly retarded common wisdom as though it were fact. "It is known."

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Hmm, thought that one of the Forsaken mentioned it (Common) being pretty simple to learn/understand? Maybe it doesn't work in reverse :v:

That was specifically for writing, I believe. Either Graendal or Mesaana was writing a letter to someone and thought to herself that this quaint written alphabet they had in this day and age was so primitive and simple.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

To be fair, I think Mat would deliberately do that just to bother Elayne.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Unfortunately we never really see the Green Ajah do anything aside from have multiple Warders. Presumably everyone thinks that this is an excuse for having lots and lots of hot Aes Sedai - Warder action, much like everyone seems to think the Red Ajah is all about hot hot lesbian action.

I got a friend the first three books for her birthday and she's about halfway through Eye of the World. She's pretty annoyed with all this lame Elyas bullshit, and I'm inclined to agree. I thought Elyas was terrible, but he goes away eventually. It gets better. It does.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Now that I'm thinking of it, I don't believe I've seen any Greys engaged in negotiations. There's all manner of call for it but it never seems to happen.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

At least it sort of made sense. I'm still annoyed how the Sharans just showed up out of nowhere with no explanation as to why they were following Dermandred. Some lead-up wpold have been nice.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

You know there's an entire book of background info/history right? Behind the wheel of time. It was released around books 6/7

I dunno, the reasons that book gives for the Forsaken falling to the Shadow are all so bland and trite. Asmodean wasn't as popular a musician as he wanted to be and it made him eeeeeeevil!!!

My co-worker and I have essentially decided that Lanfear fell because she couldn't handle being dumped by Lews Therin and went crazy. I mean, OK, you've been dumped by the most powerful person in the world. I can sort of see going a little overboard in the "I'll show you!" department.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Ika posted:

I thought graendel (E: I think I was thinking of semirhage) was a doctor and was already convicted of being needlessly sadistic during her treatment of patients before the war of power / bore / etc. So she didn't have many other places to turn to.

No, that was Semirhage. Mesaana was a teacher. And Aginor was a biologist I think?

I mean, I love all the female Forsaken, they're amazing characters. Its just that they all have terrible origin stories.

I would totally subscribe to the Lews Therin being a tremendous jerk theory. I can see it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

I haven't bothered with the re-readthrough, but the first reread was fabulously entertaining - it's a great summary of the series, and she has some great commentaries. She is also, I suspect the sole reason why Brandon Sanderson decided to randomly insert to references to gay men in A Memory of Light; and quite possibly the breaking of Semirhage by spanking is a joke directed at her as well.

See, the thing with gay men I was OK with, because there's chapter after chapter of people alluding to the hot hot lesbian sex all those Aes Sedai had while they were novices. It seemed a little one-sided.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I think it may have to do with Robert Jordan realizing that he has to distinguish them from the Fremen of Arrakis somehow .

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

If the whole Perrin and Faile thingdidn't happen there would be like three fewer books in the series. Or that space could have been filled with something actually interesting, like more PoV Forsaken chapters.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

gently caress the Seafolk, they're the biggest assholes in a series full of a lot of assholes.

A thousand times, this.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Pash posted:

Basically the only fun Aes Sedai to read about was Verin... so having them continue to do dumb things with the bowl of wind was hardly surprising... if still dumb...

While Verin was amazing, I definitely enjoyed reading about Elaida's continuous mistake. She's just like Cersei, so wrapped up in herself that she can't tell that she's ruining everything.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I really enjoyed the bit where Cadsuane pointed out that Semirhage was just as human as everyone else and being afraid of her gave her power, and proved her point by bending Semirhage over her knee and spanking her in front of an audience because she wouldn't eat her dinner.

For most of the series anytime someone got all scared because the Forsaken were like 3000 years old I got really bothered because they spent pretty much all of that time asleep in the Bore so they don't know loving anything about modern society but no, everyone just assumes they're all-powerful. And then Cadsuane just lays out this smackdown. Wonderful.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I really like that sequence where Elayne watches a play and doesn't like it.

Yes, but is there anything Elayne actually does like?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I was also totally baffled by Elayne's baffling character about-face to Perrin when he showed up in Andor and she started getting pissy at him because he actually bothered to defend what was nominally her territory in the Two Rivers and the people of the Two Rivers hadn't been paying their taxes. Seriously, what the gently caress, Elayne.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

If it's done as an anime then Faile has to be voiced by Tiffany Grant. No-one else is as loathsome.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

One of the things I liked the best about Wheel of Time is that when it comes to society there isn't really any racism or sexism - women can be mercenaries, shopkeepers, no-one seems to have a problem with female rulers or anything. It's very egalitarian. Everyone can read and write, it doesn't fall into the usual fantasy epic trap where women just can't do anything. Oh sure, it has women think like this, men think like that but it doesn't seem to be reflected on society as a whole.

People don't seem to discriminate based on skin colour either - people of all races happily mingle together, hell, I think it's only mentioned one or two times that Tuon is black, which honestly surprised me a bit. When the Seanchan were introduced in such an Orientalist fashion I made the assumption that they would look sort of Asian and then stopped thinking about it.

Nobody seems to think twice about all the hot, hot lesbian sex those Aes Sedai are allegedly having, aside from it being something that only the novices do. The few times male homosexuality is brought up in later books it also doesn't seem to be an issue.

That said, nationalism is loving rampant in WoT and is obviously one of the main contributors to social ill that the world is subject to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Surely you mean sky lights?

• Locked thread