Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm cooking three racks of spares cooking at 250 right now and haven't ever bothered with crutching before but I'm kinda curious about trying it since I finally bought some butcher paper. Should I go with 2-1-1 method? I think I've always heard that 3-2-1 results in overly tender ribs

I'm a big fan of 3-1-1, two hours of foil is def too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

um excuse me posted:

I've got big plans for tomorrow.

Mind sharing ;)

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I ended up pulling the baby backs at around 5 1/2 hours. Didn’t even take any pictures. I just stood there in my kitchen and ate the whole rack over the sink.

I'm very proud of you.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Tias posted:

I do historical interpretation at my current internship, and we built a viking age smoker of clay and willow rods, then fired some fine rear end trout through it. Is that within the purview of this thread, 'cause if so I'll post some pictures.

Feed us brother

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

onemanlan posted:

I picked up this MB560 on clearance at Walmart over the summer. Its been a great grill. It's a great jack of all trades. Does well at low and slow as well as searing when you need it. The downside is that grease build up does happen & it needs to be regularly cleaned. If you fail to clean before searing you can get yourself a little grease fire going. Also I've had some issues with the safety switches on the lid. MB was quick to replace those for free though. Think that's due to grease ingress. It cooks great though & you might be able to find them super cheap at the moment. Oh and the app is pretty garbage.

An oak tree fell on my house 2 years ago. I'm finally getting my revenge on it. Been blasting through Oak as an alternative to the usual hickory & pecan. I love the patterns in this knot

I've become a huge fan of resting briskets. If you rest them in cooler thats heated & humidified with hot water + towels you can get really good extended hold times. really has upped my brisket game.

My new smoking accessory that I'm happy to have on hand is a Slow N Sear Deluxe & SS cooking grate for the Weber 22' kettle. I think the Weber Kettle is probably the best intro smoker & grill combo. Takes a bit of work, but it does a lot of things really well if you invest a bit of time in it. Can't beat it for the price.

Let me recommend a few other YT BBQ Channels I found helpful:
TRoy Cooks
SmokyRibsBBQ
SDSBBQ
Kent Rollins Cooking

I've always Weber kettle smoked using the snake method, is piling charcoal and lighting one side better?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

For the slow n sear specifically, either you do half a chimney of lit coals and half un-lit, or you start with a tiny pile of 14 ish briquets in the corner lit up and the whole rest of the basket un-lit. Depends on what temp you want to hold and how long you need to hold it.

I normally start with 12ish lit when I start my snake, but I wonder what holds 225-235 longer, snake or sns.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

If I just do ~14 briquets stacked on top of a couple fire starter tumbleweeds, the sns will hold 225 for probably 2.5 hours ish? Depends on the temp outside. A full basket lasts WAY longer.

Wonder if I should make a bro and sear and try that this weekend, snake method is fine but takes a while to setup

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
The ThermoWorks Smoke is awesome and CookinPellets are available on Amazon.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

:what:

Do you mean no smoke ring because no wood chips/chunks used?

I get much better smoke rings with a pellet grill but my charcoal Weber kettle smokes still get decent rings.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

I would first off ask you if you do not smoke during the cold months, and if so why not?

This. It's 6 degrees here today and I smoked a pork shoulder, smoking meat is a year round activity.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

D34THROW posted:

In other words, it's like al dente pasta in that it straddles a fine line between two undesirables; in the case of pasta, it's firm versus mushy. In the case of ribs, it's pulling the ribs out of a rack with zero resistance versus having to tear the poo poo off with your teeth.

My stepmother-in-law posted a picture on Facebook of the smoked pork tenderloin my father-in-law made on Sunday. I have never seen such a perfect dark pink smoke ring around a pale beige center. :stare: Considering he was the one that got me into smoking and grilling in the first place, poo poo makes sense.

Did he use a pellet smoker? I get great rings with mine.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

This is the way. I don't how a poster above is going through so much charcoal on a kettle, is the lid on??

The slow n sear is a must-buy accessory for kettle users. Makes it into a drat good smoker and is great for two zone cooking.

Is it that much better than the "bro'n'sear" or using the baskets with a charcoal "bridge?" I'm using a water pan regardless to catch the drippings ATM.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

I had a slightly smaller shoulder I did last week which I cooked around 225-230. I chose not to wrap and in hindsight that was a mistake as the exterior was a bit dry and tough, and the meat not as juicy as I would've liked. It actually tasted better over the next few days as I would tear off chunks and heat them up in a covered pan with a few drops of water and some tallow. The steam and fat added some moisture back into the meat and softened up the tough exterior

Wonder how it would work using Chud's foil boat method he uses on briskets

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7096123859350523182

Good lord they want $440 for these things

Weber is the Apple of grilling.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I figured the pork butt I was doing this past weekend would take 10-12 hours, so I started it the night before just to be safe. It took 18 hours and I juuuust had enough time to rest it before dinner the next day. When in doubt always, always give yourself more time.

I'm also not a huge fan of injecting since it introduces potential pathogens into the interior of the meat (with no guarantee you'll get it to 140 in 4 hours) but YMMV.

Was it 30 lbs or did you cook it at 185? That seems like a long time.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

8 pounds at 225. It was off the smoke and wrapped in the oven after 12 hours but it still took its time getting to 203.

Every piece of meat is different.

Foil or butcher paper?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

I love seeing a master work his craft.

Ribs are on sale this week. Gonna pick up a few racks and try different things.

3-2-1 method, (or maybe a 3-1-1 so they have a bit of pull) on the pellet grill.

2-4 hours at 275 in the pellet grill.

Finally, I got a cheap offset smoker last weekend for even cheaper because it was used. Once the heat gasket tape I ordered comes in and I can plug it up I'll muck around with that. It has a fire grate in the cooking chamber itself for direct grilling so I'll play with smoking and grilling as well.

I did no wrap on a Weber kettle and it turned out amazing, don't be afraid to do one rack unwrapped.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

For sure. The only one I was going to do wrapped was the 3-2-1 rack. The rest I want to work on my unwrapped ribs.

I found 2 hours would melt the ribs to a point where I didn't want them (fall off the bone) but experimenting is definitely the move, enjoy the cook!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I score them down each bone and the long way a few times, works well!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

They do make hybrid charcoal/propane grills, although I have no experience cooking on them.

If budget is not a huge concern and you want the convenience of gas with the flavor of smoke, you might be interested in a pellet grill. Traeger is a well-regarded brand for those.

I'm with Blue here, I can't imagine a gas/charcoal hybrid would do anything particularly well and if you don't want to purchase two pieces of equipment, pellet is the way to go.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

If that's the case I think I'd go with convenience over charcoal and just go with gas and maybe invest in a cheap charcoal grill to go with it. The pellet stoves sound interesting though! Would a gas / smoker be cheaper I'd imagine?

I have a Weber gas grill and a Weber kettle. The gas grill is for parties/quick dinners and the kettle is for smoking/searing the ever living gently caress out of meat. For the gas grill we paid $600 and for the kettle we paid $200. If you take care of cleaning the gas grill one can be had for much cheaper though, our first one was a Charbroil 4 burner and we paid $240 for it and it lasted 4 years but by the end it was rusted to poo poo and the wheel was propped up with wood scraps.

When it comes to smoking I normally smoke 4-6 hours on the kettle and then wrap the meat and use my oven to finish it off.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Paul Proteus posted:

I always take them off for spare ribs since it's so drat easy, but I never take them off for beef or pork baby back ribs now.

I used to be fussy as hell with baby back ribs. Pull membrane, 3-1-1 them, spray during first three hours, etc etc.

The last time I just scored the bottom, never sprayed them, didn't open the smoker except one or twice at the end, did 5 and a half hours at 250. They were the best baby backs I ever made.

This has been my findings with ribs as well, people church them up way too much for such a "kind" cut to bbq.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Sorry I meant: Can I put thoss pitboss pellets in any pellet smoker? Or is each brand of smoker designed to only work with the matching proprietary pellet?

Any pellet brand can be used in any pellet smoker, pellet construction can differ from brand to brand but I've used traeger brand in my smoke hollow without issue, I prefer "cookin pellets" on Amazon.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Kaddish posted:

I'm a heathen and smoke like 90% of my meats at 250 or over these days.

I've seen lots of people recommend doing 275 for everything, I myself haven't tried it that high, anyone do that regularly?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Everything came out perfect except it was really tough. I suspect it's because I didn't give it enough time at temperature. The areas near the edge came out perfect.

Without seeing and feeling it, I'd probably agree. It sounds like the issue I initially had with beef cuts starting out when I wrongfully thought I was overcooking them, when in reality I just had to give it another hour or two and then I achieved that buttery penetration we all dream about.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do it because it in my mind it should help the fat render. But honestly I'm not sure how much that helps, and I just really like the way it looks and cooks up that way.

I do the same thing and that's my assumption as well.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Today's pork butt for carnitas finished much earlier than expected since I decided to wrap in foil rather than butcher paper. But still in the perfect time window for holding wrapped in the cooler.

Can't wait for these freaking tacos tonight.

What did you do to the meat, anything specific?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

You can definitely do just s+p and love it, but paring it back beyond that seems unenjoyable for most people

Maybe do like s+p on 3/4 of the brisket and leave the rest naked. My first thought was just cut off the bark on some and serve, but I'm sure some of the delicious outside seeps inside during the cooking/cooking process.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Another option is to do a chuck roast on the side, cook it like a brisket or shred it, it'll still be pretty fuckin delicious.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll skip the brisket and go with steaks or something instead. There's a new butcher in town so I can pick up something nice and quality.

No sense wasting a brisket on a bad idea, even with good intentions.

Respect either way, good luck on your cook!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

This is actually a pretty good idea.

This is currently my go-to if I'm not doing a pork butt, it's cheap, easy, and delicious.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm happy with my Smoke, although mine is just the plain RF model (no Bluetooth or wifi). Range covers my whole house and the remote only lags the base unit by 5-10 seconds at most. Final checks are done with my Thermapen. Honestly I just default to buying Thermoworks because everything I've ever bought from them has been very reliable, and because the probes are interchangeable.

I second this, their stuff just works and works well.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

So everything I read was at 250 it’s approx 30 min per lb. Is that not correct?

In my experience you can't use metrics like that to try and time things, it'll burn you if you're trying to get things ready for a party, etc.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Dark meat chicken - highly recommend using a Vortex and doing the "indirect-direct" method with it and a chunk of pecan wood over the coals.

Perfect for both smoking the chicken but also crisping up the skin.

This is my go to also, absolutely dominant!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I snake method my 22" Weber kettle and start it with 12 quantity 3/4 white briquettes. Top vent I go fully open, bottom vent is barely open and I live in ~230 for like 5-6 hours which is enough smoke and then I oven it the rest of the way wrapped in foil. This is in Wisconsin mid summer and when I say barely open I mean like halfway between closed and the first indicator on the bottom.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Pork shoulder ended up a little dry. Think I cooked it too long trying to hit 195/197 and should have pulled it a few hours sooner when it was like 190. Also think maybe my grill temp controller reads a little low and I should probably cook at indicated 250 instead of 225.

Ribs were amazing though, 2/2/1 with some apple cider vinegar.

Was there little white bits of fat in the shoulder meat still?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Is that Meat Church? Don’t sell them short, they’re awesome rubs. My local ACE has a great selection from them.

Good luck!

ACE also sells the King Malcolm Reed's stuff.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like hickory is neutral enough that it could be used with almost anything. I know it's quite popular with ham. The only popular wood that I feel needs to really be used with care is mesquite. Although I am sure others have their own opinions.

This is also my opinion.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Lawnie posted:

I would be putting those fuckers in at 8pm the night before. Sounds like you have a lot of mouths to feed. Both brisket and butt will do really well wrapped in foil, then a towel, then put in a cooler if they finish way early. They will stay hot for 4+ hours that way in my experience. If you lack cooler space, the microwave is a very good option for a sealed, insulated space.

This has gotta be the most common question in this thread, I think the standard answer ought to be “start cooking at bedtime tonight for dinner tomorrow.”

Yeah, if it's just for you and the Mrs you can go play gently caress around the same day but for a crew, better to be safe than face the hungry mob!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sterster posted:

Chicken wings are actually on sale. I've only ever made them via Alton Brown's fridge method in the oven. Anyone have suggestions or can point me to something involving smoking them? Is it worth it?

I use a vortex on my Weber kettle and use a chunk of smoker wood over the center and they turn out amazing, here's a video from Malcolm Reed on it: https://youtu.be/y9kC1rCIDHg

crondaily fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 14, 2023