Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

I keep procrastinating, but I really want to do some ribs on my weber kettle. Main thing that has stopped me so far is lack of a rib rack, because I can't justify all that effort for just 1 rack. So in that respect, any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy so I was just going to get the cheapo Weber rack on Amazon, but I'm open to suggestions.

The other question, though is this: where do you put your air temp probe?

Since I have a kettle, I have the slow n sear, but in my head the ribs would have to be near the center in order to fit, which puts the probe on the opposite side of the heat source. With 2 racks, that's a pretty effective heat shield, right? I feel like the temp probe would read WAY lower than the heat that the ribs are getting.

I guess I could chop the racks in half and have the probe on the side?

I have a 22" kettle and with the slow n' sear I can fit two racks of St Louis ribs without a rack but it's tight. With a rack it's not a problem.

What I do is turn the grate 90 degrees and mount the probe onto the grate handle using a binder clip so that the tip is about half an inch in front of the first rack. Air seems to circulate pretty well but you probably still want to shuffle the ribs around once or twice during cooking. You can't really get in to add more coal but I have never needed to add more coal for ribs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

dy. posted:

Trip report: this was the first time I correctly set up the Slow N Sear and it worked incredibly well and required almost no adjusting. Held 225-235 perfectly for the duration of the cook, about 7 hours.

Before, I was starting the process with way too much / too hot charcoal and it caused me to battle temps the whole time. This time, I started with about a handful of lump, lit it in the SnS instead of a basket, let it get started but not red-hot, dumped a full chimney into the Slow N Sear, and then let it come up to temp. Worked amazingly well.

I usually fill the SNS and then remove five or six coals (either lump or briquettes) from one corner and then light those and replace them. I find that with lump temps drop at around 4 or 5 hours because the irregular size coals have burned themselves some haphazard way and I need to smush them back together. But when all you got is lump you just gotta make it work.

If only there was some way to get regularly sized lump charcoal pieces!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The kids have liked all the smoked pork and beef products I've done so I might be able to convince my wife to let me smoke the turkey this year. Probably spatchcocked and brined.

She mostly just really, really likes gravy made with the drippings though and I have to imagine that drippings from a pan under the turkey in a smoker are going to be unpleasantly smokey. Like a peaty Islay scotch.

Anyone try making a gravy from smoked turkey pan drippings? How did it go?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If you like meat that's about to turn green, sure.

I'm kidding. I'm sure it's fine. Enjoy!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

sterster posted:

Speaking of legs, I picked up some 'fresh' turkey legs. Curious if anyone has general advice or tips before I just yolo this.

EDIT: So looks like I need to brine these bad boys for 24 hours. I've got 3lbs of turkey leg here and I remember you guys talking about being very specific about how much salt to use. Suggestions on brine/salt quantity. I know someone posted a bine calculator.

A few pages back, around Christmas time, someone posted a link for smoked turkey leg as done at Disneyland/world. I don't know if you've ever had a Disney Park Turkey smoked leg but they are really, really good.

If I were you I would do that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

life is killing me posted:

Yeah it’s my electric smoker.

See I was thinking it was gonna like be in the humidity floating around and make its way to the food. I know a small amount of rust won’t hurt if it’s just a spot or two though. I just was afraid with no rational reason I guess, but still

Water holds a lot of heat. Having a lot of humidity in the chamber should act to buffer the temperature and reduce spikes and dips and provide more even cooking experience. I suppose it will also help more evenly distribute the heat over the surface of the food as well but that's probably a lesser effect.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I usually buy pre-cut st louis or baby backs at the grocery store but this weekend I bought a full spare rib from a butchers. The rips tips are good but why doesn't anyone ever mention the back flap?

I trimmed it off put memphis dust on it, stuck it on at 225 with the rest pulled it when it looked done about 90 minutes later and it was AMAZING. Some of the best, most flavorful and tender pork I've had in my life.

Kind of like a mini, porky skirt steak.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

But, Meathead says in his book you can smoke on a gas grill with indirect heat and even on a small Weber kettle grill the same way. Maybe I could try that first.

I smoke on a Weber kettle no problem. I have a slow n sear but snake method for coals works fine too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
When smoking on a charcoal grill you really want to limit the amount of oxygen getting in to keep the wood from igniting. I usually have the vents just about closed tight.

FWIW I usually smoke steaks with oak followed by a reverse sear. The smoke is typically pretty mild to the point that even my young children think it tastes good and they hate anything with flavor.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
That rotisserie post made me hungry so I'm thinking of getting this kit for my grill:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XHFLXB6/?coliid=I1IW3CYMJB0E56&colid=SZIEYHZYBC84&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone have experience with this one? The reviews seem reasonable. It doesn't seem any worse than the weber branded one and for the same price you get the pizza ring which looks worth a try.

Kettlepizza looks cool and all but that's some premium prices.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

I think the issue with most of those pizza oven kits is that the lid is too high above the pizza so the flames don't get close enough to the top of the pie while it cooks, so if you don't watch it like a hawk the crust will be done long before the top is. The top-end Kettlepizza kit includes a top stone that remedies this, but that's a pricey kit for what it is.

Looks like the same Amazon product brigade has a solution for that too, though you lose the rotisserie function with this one: https://www.amazon.com/only-fire-Stainless-Charcoal-Kettle/dp/B07LC5VZWR?ref_=ast_sto_dp

That's a good find.

Or it looks like you can just get the metal lid that kettlepizza uses: link for a little less.

It's 21 3/8" and the rotisserie thing is 22.5" so it may need some fidgeting to work right going that route. It looks like there are tabs in the top of the rotisserie ring but it's hard to tell if they are big enough.

I also have a big rear end baking steel that could work. Might need some kind of support though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Also odd bits of scrap metal, nails and etc...

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hed posted:

There's definitely rib tips on that one closest to the camera, you can make it out. So Costco is blaspheming and calling those "St Louis Cut" when they are not. I'll trim them off in the future.

FWIW the rib tips are delicious. Next time trim them off and cook them just like the rest of the ribs, just since they are smaller pull em a bit earlier. All that tendon makes them lip smackingly good.

Or, throw them in with stew or to flavor some beans or whatever.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

atothesquiz posted:

Aaron Franklin has some pretty good videos on trimming briskets. His most indepth one that's free is his Texas A&M guest lecture. He comments how much money he's throwing in the trash every time he takes a slice out. You remove A LOT of weight when you trim it properly.

I was going to chime in with Franklin's videos as well. He trims a LOT off. But he is also trying to make his brisket cook consistently over thousands of iterations over every combination of variable and across years of time. Ideally, he wants your experience with his brisket to be as good today as it was three years ago and will be three years from now on any given day you drop in.

A skilled home cook can probably be less aggressive and get good results with more care and attention to detail then Franklin's can do at 2am every night.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

I don't know if this is different enough to have a better suited thread, but y'all have portable grills? I always like the idea of bringing a small grill on daytrips. I love my kettle but the idea of having an open bag of charcoal in my car gives me nightmares. Also a 22" kettle is silly to put in a car. What is your portable solution?

I was thinking about getting a coleman portable camping stove since that appears to be the goto/largest selection. After reading various reviews about their pretty big line of products I ended up deciding that I'll get an "Even-Temp" propane stove. Has anyone used one? Am I going to break it with a cast iron dutch oven? How's the temperature control? 14,000 BTU per burner is a shitload of capacity and I'm worried I won't be able to turn it down for simmering.

I have the single burner version of that. It's great! It does get very hot but it's an analog control system, knob = fuel flow, so just turn it where you want it.

It's a portable stovetop though, not a grill or smoker so don't expect to do those sorts of things with it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Until recently my job had me in and out of San Antonio five or six times a year. I regret not having made the time to go up to Austin and get Franklin’s.

I did try just about every highly rated BBQ place around San Antonio though and my conclusion is generally that Texas BBQ is too dry and too peppery. Regardless of if it’s ribs, brisket pork or chicken. Also, not everyone wants to eat on a birdshit covered picnic table in 90 degree heat. How about some loving indoor air conditioned seating?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I expect to pay around $30 for a rack of ribs that have been properly smoked around Boston (Redbones, Smoke Shop, Fireflies).

$30 bucks for a $4 rack of ribs braised in a slow cooker seems pretty lovely though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s the same piece of beef, just cut differently. Why not do what you were going to do anyway and see how it goes? Could be amazing.

Or, if it’s really bothering you tie it together with butchers twine.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I love galbi but would still be (briefly) irritated if I bought what I thought were standard short ribs and got galbi cut instead.

"Meat Glue"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
You eat steak because it's manly. Over done steak increases the manliness. Flavor has nothing to do with it, it's all about the ritual of eating charred flesh.

Or, at least that's what it seems like when people massively overcook steak and then smother it with sauce.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Charred on the outside and raw on the inside is sometimes called, "Black and Blue".

I heard it comes from the steel mills where at lunch time the workers would take a slab of raw beef and slap it on the outside of the furnace. Once that side was charred enough it would slide off and you slap the other side on.

So, yeah, very manly.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't the breakdown of the tough bits into gelatin more about spending a lot of time in the range of 160 to 180? Instead of shooting for 195-205 what if you crept up to say 175 and then just lowered the temp of your smoker and held it there for a couple of hours?

Is there something other than collagen you want to break down that occurs above 180?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mothers Day Leg of Lamb oak smoked at 275 for ~2.5 hours on a Weber Kettle until reading 135 internal. Rubbed inside and out with salt and herbs and lemon zest. The result was excellent with a smokey, sweet and savory flavor with that tender, slightly elastic chew you expect from a good ham on the crust.

The wine was a bit of a disappointment. We purchased it exactly 10 years and 1 week before after a tasting at the makers (along with many other bottles, mostly pinot noir, which have long since provided great service) and at the time Robert Parker had rated it with 95 pts. It was still good but not the amazing bomb of a zinfandel I was hoping for. Some initial fruit but then just lots of alcohol, we really should have drunk it a couple of years ago.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I have a small oregano plant that has survived two consecutive Massachusetts winters. Along with mint, thyme and sage. Nothing else seems to make it. Basil just falls over a dies randomly at any point even in the middle of summer.

The mint is practically indestructible. Just piles of the stuff. It's at the point where I am ripping out runners by the roots otherwise it will take over everything.

Pro-tip: wrap the herbs in a paper towel and put them in a freezer bag and put it in the crisper in the fridge. Lasts for a month+ easily. I'm not sure if it works better to keep the bag a little open or to seal it completely. I know that if you use a silicon bag you definitely need to keep it open though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Chad Sexington posted:

Doing a pork shoulder on the WSM 14 today. Started it at 8 a.m. and the cooker was running hot all day, usually between 270-300. I just kind of let it go because I figured faster the better and pork is forgiving. At ~5 hours, it settled at 185 and hung there for about an hour. Seemed like a late stall, but I wrapped it and after a bit it got up to 195.

I figured work was mostly done, so I unwrapped and put in the oven at 225 to firm up the crust. Well gently caress me if it doesn't drop down to 165 and sit there for the next two hours. I wrapped again and I've got it in the oven at 250. Coming on 10 hours now and it's 188.

I'm guessing that first 195 reading was near a bone or something and throwing off my temp? Oh well, hopefully this is done before 12 hours though. If it goes much longer I know I'm not going to let it rest before diving in.

e: Took it off at 11 hours and 202 degrees. Rested 30 minutes.

Maybe a little drier than I would have liked, but looks fancy on my homemade kaiser rolls.

I figured I’d try wrapping it to see if it came out better. Wrapped he pork when it hit the stall, and then took it to 195. Took off the wrapping just to firm up the bark and finish. Then the temp dropped like 30 degrees.

I've observed this too.

My theory is that when you wrap it in foil you accumulate a lot of moisture on the surface of the meat and when you unwrap it and stick it in a low temp environment it just evaporates and sucks out a ton of heat with it.

I think that if I wrap something like that again I will just leave it wrapped until the temp is 'done' and then crank the heat way up to like 500F and flash crisp it for 5-10 minutes and ignore the internal temps. The evaporation will still happen and cool the meat just much faster and dry out the surface before too much of the internal juices can escape and dry out the roast.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

We do have a Central Market near us and we frequently go there for meat so I’ll have to check there if I can get the wife on board. Bonus points if the 3yo will even allow it on his plate after we tell him what it is.

I just ended up calling any meat 'steak' because my kids would eat steak. Just call it fish.

I made a leg of lab for mothers day and just called it steak even though my kids are 9 and 7 now. Pretty sure the 7 year old would have given it the stink-eye if I had called it lamb.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a deck mat for their grill/smoker they recommend? I see lots of reviews saying various ones stain their composite decking or that they don't protect from dropped charcoal (I don't really see how that could happen but I've heard it's worth protecting).

After a couple of small charcoal spills on my wood deck I went and bought just whatever was at the Blue Big Box Tool Store. My thinking is that I don't think it needs to be 100% charcoal proof, it just needs to give me a little time to deal with it.

It's made of fiber cement board and should be moderately fire resistant.

http://www.grillpad.com/our-products/the-original-grill-pad/

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've smoked salmon in my kettle and never noticed any fishy smell. I expect that as long as you aren't dripping melted fish fat everywhere the residue will be minimal.

I always put my salmon on a cedar plank out of habit (don't think it does a drat thing) even though I usually smoke with oak so I expect that's protecting the floor of my kettle.

My best results have been with very low heat in the 200-225 range. Even then it only takes 20-30 minutes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've posted before that I use soap on all my cast iron every time I clean them. I have 2 pans and 3 pots.

It's never damaged my seasoning.

I do always hand dry and rub in a light coat of oil after each use to prevent rusting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

See a waygu brisket is one of those things I'd watch like a hawk. Also I'd be terrified to handle it.

Are wagyu brisket really better for smoking? Like, isn't the big thing with a low and slow brisket turning all the tough bits into gelatin? If the beast was coddled the way wagyu is are it's tendons and connective bits going to be as developed?

Yes it's fatty as all get out, which seems good burnt ends, but otherwise I would think the ideal application for a wagyu brisket would be hamburgers or something else where the fat is a key part of the profile.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

From far back so you can get a perspective on size:

Here's what I'm doing to prop up some grates under the flue to smoke meat:

I took this from the side so you can see how long front chamber is wrt the back chamber. I have a lot of room there for something like 2-zone cooking:

A cardboard box is designed to transport things but people smoke meat with them too. Or, to turn this around, metal smokers can't smoke meat because they were conceived from oil rig gear from the early 20th century. They can only impart the flavor of crude oil at best.

Like, you're telling me what I'm producing is unicorns and fairy dust. My post was about the success I finally have from figuring it out. You're outright denying this as if I am posting from another reality. I just don't get it.

If you wanted to make your oven more of a smoker maybe you could add a secondary firebox lower down to the side, or back, somewhere that exhausts into the pizza oven chamber. Situate the pipe into the pizza oven chamber such that you get the most flow across the food you want to smoke. Also, maybe put an insert into the pizza oven when you are smoking that makes it two levels and directs the smoke across the bottom level and up into the top?

Maybe with a vent cover to not interfere with the airflow dynamics when you want to use it as a pizza oven?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 6, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

1 normal/2select a size paper towels with like a teaspoon of oil on it has never failed to light my chimney.

Can confirm. My current grill has a gas starter but before I got it paper and oil is what I did.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Getting ready to do a big ol cook tomorrow. Got a 10 lb Butt and 3 spare rib plates and also some chicken wings and beyond meat stuff.

Since I only have a 22" kettle and a slow n sear I'm going to take some short cuts.

My plan:
0. Tonight trim and dry brine butt, ribs and wings. Ribs will be cut st louis style with tips reserved. Wings will be cut down to flats and drummies. Mix 1c yellow mustard, 1c vinegar, 1/4c brown sugar, 1/4c cane sugar, 1/4 spice mix and let come together in fridge
1. About 6am tomorrow start the kettle warming to ~225-250.
2. Coat brined butt with pepper and around 7 put on the butt with a bunch of applewood.
3. Pull butt after ~3 hrs smoke (i.e. at 10-10:30) and move to 250 fan oven to come to 170ish, wrap and monitor until 198 to 203 and probes like butter. Pull and let cool on counter for at least 30-45 minutes before unwrapping. This could be 4pm, this could be 8 pm. *Shrug* Serve with wonder bread and mustard sauce or sweet baby rays on the side.
4. Around 11am coat ribs and tips with Memphis dust and place vertically on rack in kettle after inspecting/refreshing coals and applewood
5. Around 12:30 - 1pm pull tips, and enjoy
6. Around 2pm pull ribs wrap with foil and move to 250 fan oven with butt.
7. Refresh grill coals, pull tray of drippings and then add memphis dusted wings at ~350ish for 1 hour rotating/turning after about 30 minutes. Contemplate defatting drippings and adding a few tbs juices to sauces?
8. Around 4 pull wings place into tray and cover with foil. Check ribs and if done pull, coat with sweet baby rays and return to oven uncovered 30 minutes or so.
9. Refresh coals, clean grill and cook beyond sausages and patties to order.
10. Around 6, or as items become available, serve whatever is ready with sides and sauces.

Phew. Let me know if you see any real issues here or a better method. Yes, probably not enough smoke on the butt.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 23, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
You may be right about the dry brine on the wings and ribs. I've heard it comes out real nice but it could probably be skipped. That said, I need to prep them anyway and sprinkling with salt and refrigerating is not really any extra work.

Alternate plan #1. WFH today, skip dry brining the butt, just dalmation rub and put on smoke today around noon. Pull around 6-7 when at 170ish after 6 or 7 hours of smoke. Wrap in foil and finish in cool oven until 198-203 (10-11pm tonight?) Pull, leave wrapped in foil and place into warmed cooler overnight. Unwrap (to crisp up bark) and reheat to 140ish tomorrow in oven.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Dalmatian is more of a beef thing, no? Every pork rub I have seen uses lots of garlic, paprika, and brown sugar. You can certainly try it but I'd at least get a nice sugary BBQ sauce. I pretty much solely use Stubs Sticky Sweet for pork.

Yes, but. I want to be able to try both the mustard and the sweet styles with the pork so I am trying to keep it mostly neutral and let people play with it.

I'm waffling on the doing the ribs the same way and maybe just finishing them one mustard, one sweet and one without.

Also, butts on the smoker. Little hot at 250 but I'll tweak it as it goes.

edit: Thank god for bluetooth. I can sit at my desk and if I hold my phone near the window I can check the air temp in the kettle and the meat temp while I work.

edit:

After a bit over 8 hours the internal temp is 155 and I need to either add more coals or pull it wrap it and put it in the oven to push through to 200ish. I decided to pull it and wrap it since it's still going to be midnight by the time it's at temp.

Glad I did it this way since the bark looks so much better now than if I had pulled it at 3 hrs.

3hrs

5 hrs

8 hrs

Murgos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 24, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Today I can’t seem to keep my temp under 250, but I’m going to let these go to six hours and see how they are.

I didn't fully understand the 'bend test' for ribs even though I had seen several videos describing it until I completely overcooked three racks of ribs. How much should they bend? How much should it crack?

Now that I know what too floppy feels like I can pretty easily identify when it's in the middle of too soft and too firm.

What I am saying is that even screwing them up can be a valuable thing. Also, overcooked ribs are still delicious.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

baby backs > St. Louis imo

the best bits are right by the bone and for baby backs that's like the whole rack

Baby backs are cut from loin meat so butchers are willing to let them be a little meatier.

Spare ribs, from which st louis are cut, are from the belly. People like bacon, a lot, and they pay more for it. So, often they cut spare/st louis ribs down as much as they can get away with.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Butchers twine and tie it together?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

But now I've got a 2.5 pound hunk with the money muscle that I want to cook. And I've got a bunch of tomatillos and jalapenos coming out of my garden looking for a home.

I believe the word you are looking for is carnitas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Some probably get it via soy sauce.

I, uh, would have expected soy sauce to be gluten free by default. I was wrong, apparently only Tamari style is usually gluten free. Why the gently caress do they add wheat/barley to soy sauce? Sweetness?