Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Republicans posted:

Any tips for smoking chicken? Just bought a new smoker and I was thinking just spatchcock, give them a simple rub and smoke on 275 until 155 internal then I'll check if the skin could do with some high heat in the oven to finish, otherwise let it go to 165.

It's rather hard to ruin a spatchcock chicken, and the main issue is getting the crispy skin. Some of the crazies on the big green egg forums (my go-to for smoking/grilling recipes, not the website itself) recommend keeping the chicken uncovered in your fridge for 24 hours prior to cooking, to dry out the skin. I don't have that kind of time / fridge space so I generally just spatchcock chicken directly over the flame, and start skin-down for 15 minutes first then flip. It's a hack but works and is easy.

Ideal white meat temperature is 160 degrees; dark meat is better at 165 so the connective tissue melts a bit more. Dark meat is also far more forgiving than lean white meat which will go dry quickly over 160. Ideally you can cook through the dark meat to 160 when the breast is still at 150-155 and let the bird rest.

If you have a hotter part of your smoker, put the legs towards it and the breasts away. Finishing in the oven isn't a terrible way to crisp up the skin, or do the whole cook in your smoker at 350/400 degrees.

If you have pecan wood, my favorite cook right now is a bit of oil and salt/pepper/garlic on a spatchcocked chicken, smoked direct with pecan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

wandler20 posted:

The Kamado Joe lump charcoal is really good. Has some really nice big chunks in it and I've never come across weird stuff in it.

I buy Kamado Joe off amazon. Good stuff.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Would I be correct that pellet smokers let you be lazier with automatic temp control and poo poo, but that "regular" smokers are cheaper? Are there other disadvantages? (5436 raises taste being a possible difference, I didn't think of that)

is there a decent pellet smoker that's not pushing close to $1000?

AFAIK with pellet smokers you have less flexibility around the type and amount of smoke you impart to your food - with a regular smoker you just add whatever wood chunks you want, while with a pellet smoker the pellets impart both heat and smoke so you're limited to whatever smoke those pellets make. Also if you cooked with hickory pellets yesterday and want to do an applewood smoke I think you'd have to clean out all the old pellets first which could be annoying. That said my experience with pellet smokers is rather limited.

For me one of the main draws of grilling and smoking is that I get to play with fire, which you can't do with a pellet smoker.

EDIT: There is also automatic temperature control with "standard" smokers. Most smokers can fit a fan that automatically increases air flow through the firebox if a linked thermometer detects the temperature dropping in the chamber.

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 14, 2020

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

All the "best thermometers" listicles say not to get a remote thermometer because it's soooooo hard to get working and is a gimmick, which makes me think that the vast majority of grillers / smokers are 90 year old tech illiterates

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Are you hard boiling eggs, shelling them, then putting in the smoker? Or smoking raw eggs? Would smoke penetrate the egg shell? What wood do you use?

Also has anybody here used mesquite to make something that doesn't taste like freshly tarred road?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I'm excited to make smoked eggs next time I'm back home and have access to a smoker. How long would they last if you smoke then refrigerate? As long as hard-boiled eggs I'd expect? Do you lose some of that evanescent flavor if you do that?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

This annoys me so much. Costco in most southern states sells prime brisket for like $2 or $3 per pound. In Pennsylvania, the only brisket I could find at Costco was some bullshit pre-cut stuff for like $11/lb. I found a decent butcher but I'm still paying about $4-5 per pound for choice.

So what I'm saying is, screw anybody with access to $2.50/lb prime brisket, you are the worst.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

What crazy new smoker did you get?

You want to do a brine with pink salt if you want the “American” experience. Then smoke at 225 until done (I cheat and refer to virtual Weber bullet website for times and temps for basic things).

If you don’t do pink salt rub with salt and baking powder for awesome maillard at low temps.

Can you elaborate on pink salt / baking soda helping with the maillard reaction? I tried googling this and got a bunch of scientific articles, and then some forum about how you're supposed to use "cure #1" powder on turkey before smoking.

Has anybody here used insta-cure? I assume you meant himalayan pink salt and not a bag of salt made pink due to the addition of "Red #3"?
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pink-salt-in-turkey-brine.270714/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine.110799/

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Apparently lots of Wagyu cuts are hitting the market because restaurants aren't using it. So it could be the real stuff.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

um excuse me posted:

Seems picturesque to me. I have two Weber's, neither of which have seals, it's like a steam train, baby

There's a super weird and angry debate on the BGE forums about what gaskets to use. Apparently, many people on the forum recommend using industrial "Rutland" gaskets which aren't actually designed or approved for use around food since they contain fiberglass:
https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1165663/best-replacement-gasket

An article on nakedwhiz about safety:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/rutlandgasketsafety.htm

But apparently they work super well and last forever and are better than all the competitors. Or something.

Have you guys waded into this flame war / have a strong opinion on gaskets?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I add bleach to any marinades I use to prevent bacterial growth.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I buy the Komodo joe lump because it's huge chunks and is available on Amazon.

I made reverse sear steaks yesterday night. I apologize for the terrible photos but I wanted to finally post something here.

Here are the mostly raw steaks being smoked. 1.5" t-bones. The flash basically just illuminated the smoke.

I smoke them to an internal temperature of 110 degrees (about 10-15 below your desired temp). Then you get your grill up to 600 degrees and sear them off

If you do it right you end up with desired doneness inside, nice hard sear outside, and no grey ring. I add cayenne to my steaks because I add cayenne to everything.

I use hickory for my steaks because it's tasty.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I did a rather nontraditional smoke:

Made some dough

Wrapped into dough-rings

Boiled in molasses water

Smoked on the BGE at 375. I think this counts as smoking?

The finished Montreal bagels. A faint flavor of smoke

Pretty good. A whole lot of work for a bagel but will probably do it again (in a year)

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I generally keep checking every few minutes until the temp registers on the thermometer and then start closing vents - it's a lot harder to lower than raise temperature. Keep in mind that your thermometer is likely measuring dome temperature while the actual fire will be hotter, and the grill itself can hold lots of heat, so even when the flame equalizes the temp will keep increasing.

Adding in the convection plate, drip pan, and meat will always drop the temperature significantly so it's ok to overshoot by a good bit (300 is probably fine). Counterintuitively you can also lower temperature by adding coals.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

What are some good things to do with a whole smoked turkey for 2 people? We're trying to give some away but not sure if we can even deal with 5 pounds of turkey and a bunch of sides. Is there a vacuum sealer that is SomethingAwful (c) recommended?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

We aren't taking reservations and our day's dinner service is a single seating for 3

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I did the dry brine, spatchcock and cooked the bird mostly at 350 - came out perfect and juicy. Next time I will try pecan instead of hickory. Could also work on the skin some more, but the bird finished super fast and sat for 1.5 after coming out of the smoker so that might've been why it wasn't crispy.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I spatchcocked and smoked a duck over applewood once. I used a salt/pepper/garlic powder rub, and didn't brine which was a mistake. Overall it was mediocre.

When I try again I'll definitely brine, and I need to put a lot more effort into crisping the skin. I put cuts into the skin to allow the fat to drain but might've not cooked it long / hot enough (I pulled when the thigh was at 165 or 170 I think). If yours comes out well please report back.

EDIT:
vvvvvvvvvv everybody here recommends this recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe but I haven't tried it because I don't want a chunk of raw beef sitting in my fridge for a week. Has anybody here actually just purchased raw corned beef?

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 11, 2020

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The brine calculator is for adding nitrates to your food to preserve it and make things like corned beef. If you're just using regular salt to brine for 24 hours you don't need to be exact.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The bigger ones aren't efficient for grilling since you need to use a whole lot more coal and it takes longer to heat up. But maybe for smoking that's not a problem.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Wasting money if you don't start your coals with waste heat from Bitcoin mining

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The cheap bags of wood have a lot of tiny pieces while the more expensive ones are nice hearty chunks. But I guess that doesn't really matter too much until you get down to the little chips.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

What wood do you prefer for your turkey? I've done pecan and apple / hickory and am considering which to do this year.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I swear that sometimes the flavor from acrid white smoke is stronger after refrigerating / reheating.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

https://www.theonion.com/area-dad-stares-longingly-at-covered-grill-in-backyard-1819578520

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I don't know, but supposedly some people use their Kamados without gaskets at all. I've seen recommendations to use foil as a temporary gasket if your smoke temps refuse to stabilize

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

NomNomNom posted:

Anyone ever smoke a store bought corned beef for some faux pastrami?

My understanding is that store bought corned beef is almost always already cooked. Do you have a source for raw corned beef?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Whooping Crabs posted:

I thought it was raw, do you not have these in your grocery store this time of year (United States)

I live in the US too and have never seen that before. Maybe I shop at the wrong stores. Let us know how it goes

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Goddamn, I had no idea.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

They should sell smoker window units

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

All meat that isn't described as dry aged is wet aged

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Murgos posted:

I was talking to one of the staff at one of those old timey farm museum places where they try and do some subset of the work the way it would have been done back in the day specifically about a small smoke house not unlike that one. Maybe a bit bigger and stone walls but still a wooden roof and door.

The trick was that it's a very, very low smolder that with a tight fitting door creates a very low oxygen environment, just a few wisps of smoke. They would hang the meat in there for weeks and months at a time but it was practically a cold smoke with the temps never getting very high at all.

Is there so little air that the food doesn't rot? Or would they salt the gently caress out of the meat / hope the nitrates keep them from dying?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I just can't. I'm sorry, I can't.

I'm confused. What do you consider spritzing to be? And how else would you get a blackish brown bark? Pretty sure that color is only achievable with intestinal bleeding

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Have you peed on it too, to claim ownership?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Brisket just came off the smoker; once again it didn't have an apparent stall. These Akaushi briskets are amazing.

Only problem now is I don't have an empty cooler to put it in. It's sitting on my counter wrapped in butcher paper. Guess I'll be eating it for lunch instead of dinner.

Use some old towels / maybe the oven?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

toplitzin posted:

I have a copy of Charcuterie and Project Smoke which both I think cover scratch made ham.

I'll grab you a shot of the recipes once I'm off this block of conference calls.

EDIT: it looks like your thought of the temp getting dropped over time is correct from one recipe, but opposite on the second. :shrug:

Charcuterie:
Goes hot smoke to cold smoke

Project Smoke:
Goes cold smoke to hot smoke.

Counter point:
https://lifehacker.com/sous-vide-an-always-sunny-rum-ham-that-would-make-frank-1848157451

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

This is like my 3rd turkey with leathery skin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Meat is delicious and juicy but I just can't nail the skin.

I added baking powder to my dry brine this time, and made sure the dome of my egg was fully hot before I put the turkey in, hoping that would work.

This year I cooked a bit cooler (275) but in previous years did 350ish and still had leathery skin. Will using too much oil ruin the skin? Can water evaporating from the drip pan steam the skin too much?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I smoked the meat I had curing for like three weeks, looks like despite that it didn't want to penetrate all the way to the center. Cut thin slices and made bacon. Not that this was pork belly, leaner cut.

Turned out well though my fried eggs failed, broke both yolks so not as over easy as I wanted.

(sriracha & jalapenos)

I dunno if this might be something like canadian bacon. At any rate it tastes like bacon and the 2.5% instead of th 3% I tried this winter was better, 3% is too salty. And I like this cut, more meat less fat, so much fast on the last one.

Fancy meats with eggs in the morning are always good. Did you need to hit it with high heat to get some crunch?

The product sold as "Canadian bacon" in the US is different from "peameal bacon" sold in Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peameal_bacon. It's quite good.

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

You can smoke a bird halfway and then fry it afterwards, but my understanding is it's not worth the effort.