Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Name: King Lou

Specialties: Warm, Deep, Smooth, Authoritative, Friendly

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/King+Lou

IMDB/Portfolio http://loureads.com/lous-voice-over-demo/
Main Demo - http://media.blubrry.com/loureads/p/content.blubrry.com/loureads/Lou_Fernandez_Demo_V3-cuisinart.mp3
Technical Reading Demo - http://voice123.com/mp3/demos/luisfernandez1%20-%20Technical%20Read%20Demo.mp3
I did a various voices/wallah on this anime series http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1009

Payment: Paypal is cool. Checks are also fine for higher amount.

Most people know me for my podcast, Lou Reads the Internet for YOU!. I do VO work when I can. Clients include CBS, PBS, ORKIN, CUISINART, BLIZZARD GAMES, The New York Times & More. I even got to go to Blizzcon last year to help out because of my VO. http://imgur.com/a/ZprfN

I forgot add that I use ProTools or Audacity to record and use a MXL88, Blue Snowball or Blue Yeti Pro to record depending on the situation. I also have one of these Harlan Hogan Portabooth things. It really does make a difference but its absurdly expensive. It was a gift. I also have the square style of VO box which you can easily make yourself.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

MrChrome posted:

I'm a DJ (https://www.djchrome.net) and I've been looking for someone to record some bumpers for me for when I DJ live. My friends and I have tried to make these a few times but they all sound terrible. If someone wants to have some fun, try to record some bumpers like this:

"DJ Chrome, in the mix"

"You're listening to DJ Chrome"

"DJ Chrome, in the mix, live..."

Or anything similar to this. You can be creative. I can do all the post-processing and sound effects.

I don't have any money right now, the most I can shoot you is $5 via paypal. Anything would be appreciated!

I took some Nuvigil today so I'm full of pep! I did these for you.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Loved it at "Capture the Flag"

That used to trip people out when I was playing Halo. I know a guy at Bungie and I've been begging him to get me in touch with the people who do the voice casting. No luck.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I think the idea is to have GBS'rs ask us to read stuff just for practice. A VO thread would fit in Creative Convention or in Rapidly Going Deaf, I suppose. Again, I think the idea it to give SA's tiny VO population some fun stuff and inspiration to practice. Maybe get some feedback?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

MrChrome posted:

This is awesome! That was just what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

You should also do "Gained the lead Lost the leaGained the lead"

Paypal to loureads@gmail.com?
Glad you liked it.

My paypal is kinglou@gmail.com

Thanks!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Hey The Joe Man,

What pricing scale do you use when figuring your VO rates.

I just read this article and found it pretty interesting. When people ask me what I charge I have a hard time quoting a price.
http://www.nethervoice.com/nethervoice/2012/04/12/are-you-hiding-your-rates/

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

If anyone is interested Blue Microphones is giving a Yeti Pro away.

http://blueblog.bluemic.com/2012/04/twitter-giveaway-win-a-yeti-pro/

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

titties posted:

What I would like to know is how much can vocal features mitigate lovely equipment? Can I create usable recordings when my recording space is a blanket fort and my gear consists of "software preamp and Rock Band mic with a sock over it"? I would love to provide samples for goon critique, but I worry that the sound quality of a setup like I described would belay the possibility of accurate critiquing beyond "buy better crap".

The only way to find out if it sounds like crap (and you probably know the real answer already) is to record and let people hear it. There is not way around the fact that you need to invest in some recording gear to even attempt doing this. Even as a hobby. I started with the Blue Snowball and actually did paying work with that for a while. You can luck out and find them on ebay for around $50 or $60. Or you can buy cheaper ones but you really need at least something that doesn't attach to your head for recording that people are going to take seriously. I'm not sure how the Rock Band mics compare to other mics. I also have a BS recording set up at work and a worse one at home. This is my work set up.

I hung a sound blanket on a cheap wooden curtain rod. It does a good job. A family member bought me that portable sound booth as a gift after I ruined a vacation trying to gather poo poo to muffle house noises so I could record. It works alright. You can build one yourself very easily.

I would kill for a Whisper Room. I recently had a chance to buy one but I have no where to put it... so sad... SO for now I have to wait until everyone is asleep and go around unplugging poo poo like the fridge so I can record as quiet as possible. NYC glamour living!

quote:

As an aside, I love listening to Lou Reads. Lou, you inspire me to think about the possibility that someday I might someday record something for someone to critique in order to know whether or not I should record something.

Thanks. Thats very flattering. The only way to find out is to start recording. I'm loving old. People were telling me my whole life I should be doing VO. In the past 5+ years things have gotten WAY easier for outsiders to try to get into the biz. I'm barely in. The hurdles are still high but you gotta keep at it. As you may know I started doing Lou Reads as an exercise to see if I could do anything at all. And it all started in a thread here on SA where I read something from some horrible craigslist tampa sex ad for a thread not too different than this one. And I was inspired to read stuff hoping I'd get asked to contribute to one of the Shmorky Best of Weekend Web things. Anyway, thanks again for the compliment. Keep reading everyone!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I wouldn't expect a rockband mic to better than much since its basically meant to be screamed into by people who can't sing (no offense. I'm sure some of you are awesome at Rock Band). I would think that headset mics wouldn't be good enough to do professional recording on. Are people using them?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I'm going to go ahead and say that blatantly drinking anything other that water if you're starting out in the business is going to be a no-no. As you said, the guy you mentioned runs the show he is drinking at. Most people don't view drinking on ANY job as ok. Also booze isn't the best thing for your voice as it dries you out.

Why do you think you need drinking to read? Sounds like nerves/stage fright. Thats just something you need to drum out of yourself by doing it and doing it. Liquid courage isn't really appropriate in the booth (until you get your own animated TV show).

Also, anyone with a Yeti Pro with issues ITT? I just lost another super long recording sessions to this amazing fuzzed out sound.

Just a FYI. Blue Mic told me this is an issue with the Blue Yeti Pro. They know about it and are fixing it for free. VERY annoying.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I used my Snowball to record the latest episode of Lou Reads in my office at work with the door open.

http://loureads.com/2012/06/18/lou-reads-about-men-who-love-dolls-and-the-dolls-that-lay-there/

recorded with Audacity and finished in Garage Band. I've been having crazy technical problems over the last few episodes but if you want simple and reliable the Snowball is a killer deal.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I haven't contributed in a while. I kind of backed off looking for VO work because my wife is sick but a friend at the UCB asked me to record this while I was at work the other day and they just posted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5FjdBcAHt4

I think they mixed me down a little too much but whatever.

I may have more work coming soon. Its been a tough year.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

khan! posted:

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in SA Mart looking for voice recordings (on a now and ongoing basis) for telephone related use. I know it isn't high end voice acting, but maybe it's a way to make a few bucks quickly now! One very cool guy who put in a recording suggested maybe I crosspost here.

My thread is at: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=350319

This thread you speak of... she doesn't exist...

In other news someone just asked me to do some free recording for some educational presentation and I did it... came out ok. Bored at work I guess. I just hope that all this talk of students, synax & compiling isn't really just a secret commercial for Pepsi.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

If any of you are going to be watching the League of Legends North American Regional championships tomorrow you have a chance to catch my VO at the very beginning. I'm introducing the event and announcing the shoutcasters. 10 seconds of glory.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I was told in a meeting with multiple agents that they don't want links. They just want you to send your MP3 in your email. If they have to click it they trash it instead. They just want your small mp3 file they can listen to in the email and if it catches their ear then fine. CD's are pretty dead but I guess they might still be accepted.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I have a Blue YetiPro that I had to send back 2x because of audio drop outs and issues with random bursts of static. They admitted that there was some sort of issue with the Yeti Pro and that they were fixing it. However I'm not happy with the 3rd one they sent me. I'm not convinced they fixed it at all. Also their tech support hasn't returned my emails/phone calls about it. I'm sure they think I'm a crank. Luckily I have Snowball & Mbox Mini that I can use instead. I would still buy Blue products but I think the Yeti Pro is sort of an over promised device.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I had the problem with the Yeti attached via MBox to Protools & via USB using Audacity. Blue told me "There has been a few issues with the pro’s, the new pro’s will have a gain mod and a new driver."

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I've always wondered about people getting stiffed or having their work ripped off. I got stiffed for $3500 on VO with an ad agency in other state. As far as I can tell the company lost the job. None of my work was used. Doesn't make me feel any better about wasting all that time. If you're doing a job for something long get that poo poo in writing! I've also had a lot of jobs I was awarded on Voice123 just never get past the "You've been chosen!" stage. The people just vanish. It happens.

In happier news I just recorded two spots for Spotify. One for Carnival Cruise and one for McDonalds. Its pretty low-ball stuff, money-wise, but it looks like I may get to do some more work for them in the near future. If you don't pay for Spotify then get ready to mute your computer when I come on!

I also recorded something for some science project website for free just because they asked.

EDIT: I just heard my McDonalds spot on Spotify. Whee!

EDIT 2: I just booked another Spotify spot for Energizer that turned into 2 spots. Sadly the pay goes WAY down for the 2nd spot. Modern problems. :(

King Lou fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 27, 2012

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Meow Cadet posted:

I got a part!

There was a random post on my local Craigslist for voice actors for a cartoon web series. I responded, and auditioned today. A few hours later, I was offered a part. Recording conflicts with my day-job, but I'll try and work it out. This is not a paid gig, but it should be fun. The ego boost for being offered a role is stupid. I want to brag to everyone I know, but I know that's lame. Oh well.

Its not lame to want to tell people or feel good that you were chosen to do something. Even if there is no pay it feels good to be picked! Congrats on getting the part!

I probably talk too much about getting gigs. Especially lately because I've been on a mini-run of work. But besides recordings for people who listen to my podcast I hardly did any VO work last year or most of this year for that matter. Now here in the last 1/4 of the year I'm landing work and it feels great.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Yesterday I was asked by someone to give a quote for doing a last minute reading for an awards ceremony. It was 750 words recorded, edited & delivered. They had hired a VO talent via Voices.com (The talent had bid on the job which is how that service works). I normally don't have to bid on the job when I'm hired for VO. People tell me how much the pay is and I decide based on that. So I did some research and it seemed like $300-$400 was a pretty normal price range for that kind of work (rush record, edit). So I asked what the other VO had bid and the guy had bid $147.

I was going by rates posted at places like
http://www.voices.com/rates
http://www.bodytonemultimedia.com/Body_Tone_Multimedia_Voice_Over/Body_Tone_Multimedia_Voice-Overs_Rates.html
http://www.thevoicerealm.com/pricing.php

I find the that much like video editing, people just don't value VO very highly. I mean, we can all talk, right? Whats so special about talking...

The other gig I've been doing lately has been hinting they might cut my rate by $50 because they think VO talent are being over paid. I'm sneaking out of my day job to do this. If I had to do it for a living I'd be homeless at these rates.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you are in the NYC area but this thing is happening next weekend and I'm going to it.

quote:

VO Event Announcement: The 5th Annual New York Voiceover Mixer
The world's largest voiceover event will be held on the evening of Saturday, December 1st. Come join hundreds of VO industry people from around the globe! More info and details on how to RSVP can be found here: http://voicetalentproductions.com/Events/

If you're going let me know so we can try to meet up.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

I'm going! Would be interesting to put some faces to names (and voices) from here.

I actually sent an RSVP but haven't heard back... any suggestions?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I guess my name is there. Weird.... Well thanks for saying that. I wouldn't have looked.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I just recorded these for the hell of it while I have garage band open. I tried on a couple to sound like that song example but its hard to say that inflection without laughing. I am also ill.

In more tales from VO work I just got some bad news. Well, not great news. I was picked to do some VO for a client for Spotify. They agreed to pay me a certain amount for recording 2x a week for 12 weeks. Then at the last minute they decided they wanted me to read 5 things in one sitting, instead of 1, and then lowball me on the per session price. The way this place operates is they pay one price for doing one spot per client. But is that client want more than 1 spot in a session then every spot recorded after that is 1/2 off. So they applied those rules to what was once a killer deal for me. Now I'm going to get around a 25% pay cut for the work. We just started today and I was getting my invoice ready to send in when I got the call. Its a drag!

King Lou fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 3, 2012

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

titties posted:

^ Yeah, that's not cool. Are you going ahead with it anyway?

Also, would you be willing to talk a little about what it's like to record in a studio? I know I'm not ready to work professionally yet, but still the idea of actually stepping into the studio is terrifying since I don't know what to do or how to act and they'll all know I'm a poser and oh god

There really isn't that much to getting into a VO booth. Usually there is an engineer who will get you set up. They are responsible for putting the mic where it needs to be, getting you a water, etc. There usually place to put your copy. There are headphones where the people in the studio can talk to you through. Besides that the best thing you can do is be prepared to read the copy and be ready to take direction, no matter how stupid. Also don't be afraid to step out if you need to. Sometimes you just need to clear your head. Especially when someone tells you something crazy like "Can make it sound like you're sad that your happy?" or "You need to sound like you're just talking to me about how much you like bank rates but without selling them to me but also hitting those key points. Also speed it up."

The most annoying thing is there is an unspoken rule in the booth which is "never apologize." I personally hate that rule because its a natural reaction to a flub but I've been told over and over that if you apologize at an audition or session that subconsciously people remember you as unskilled/unsure. I'm sure that isn't the case for EVERYONE but I've been told by 3 separate VO agents/casting directors that when someone apologizes they write them off then & there. So now when I gently caress up I say "This script is poo poo!" :colbert:

Actually, as everyone should know, when you flub, just start again at the beginning of the last sentence. Whatever you do, for God's sake, don't apologize!

EDIT: Yes I will probably work with the pay cut just because I can use $3500. We'll see if it even happens now, though.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 4, 2012

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I just got my 4th Blue Yeti Pro from Blue. They promised this one won't be a giant piece of crap. I would recommend to take the Yeti off its stupid, pointless base and just stick it on a regular mic stand and attach the poop filter as one would normally. Although I don't have a fancy Blue pop filter.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

VO related. My friend Sam Riegel and his friend, who are both professional voice actors, have started a podcast about their lives in VA. Its not very serious but they state that up front. Sam is probably one of the busiest people I know. He's never not working and he comes from an annoyingly super successful family. Anyway, I thought if people wanted to hear about the industry from the voice of Donatello and his friend it could be worth a shot.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/allworknoplay/id583666188?mt=2

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

If you live in NY and want to take a VO class a friend of mine who is an agent is teaching a great class. He just posted a video about the class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcveKg5UOpQ

I guess the class is taught where I recorded my demo... I've been slacking off in my VO stuff. Time to get back into it.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

What does the scam involve?

Also cool about the seminar. Actors Connection is legit and a great resource.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Does anyone else belong to the LinkedIN VO groups? I belong to the Voice.com one and the VO Professionals one.

The Voices one posted this video this morning. An interesting video about warming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbRXG76yQU

I don't know anyone who thinks about their body/voice that much.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Actors Today Don’t Just Read for the Part. Reading IS the Part. - Article from the New York Times about VO today.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Ishamael posted:

-Mr. Jones, I am going to spread your buttocks so I can see your tailbone.

It's weird doing VO sometimes.

Thats pretty funny.

I was just trying to find the VO I did for the Psychichelp and Doctorshelp websites. It looks like those sites are both gone. So sad. Nothing like doing a sales pitch to Psychics.

I just booked more Spotify gigs lasy week. Did a couple of things for Jim Beam. It was the 1st time I've gotten the direction to "Bro out and be douchey"

Luckily thats in my wheelhouse...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Oh man. That sucks. I would have loved to come to this session. I have an important meeting at 8pm. What a drag.

In other news you may have been hearing me on Spotify again recently. I did a couple of Jim Beam spots in July and just did a Saints Row spot. I just got the Jim Beam one and thought I'd share it. I was disappointed they decided not to put a music track behind this one.

I am looking forward to hearing the Saints Row one. Its one of the only VO jobs I've ever had where they told me "Do what you did in the audition. We have no notes."

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

You going to kill Steve Blum and replace him?

I looked that guy up. He's a pretty big deal!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Finally got my Saints Row spot from Spotify. Just in time for it to be out of date!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

hoped.so posted:

Would it be appropriate to post a script for a kick starter video? I have a condenser mic and will likely do it myself but it might be nice to see how different it could sound with someone who isn't the shy science-y type.

Yeah, whats the harm. Give it up!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

That period at the end of your URL is messing up, gurl.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Thats awesome, Melanie. Congrats.

On the flipside of the coin I'm in the middle waiting to get paid for work I did for Spotify in July. Hooray!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

The Snowball mic is p good, from my experience.

Seconding this. I have a better mic but I find that the Snowball really does a great job on the cheap. I've recorded a lot of professional work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

So I picked up a yeti to mess around with on audacity. Boot up the program, select the yeti mic and start recording. 10 or 15 minutes in, and the yeti mic stops picking up any sound. I click record and nothing gets recorded. My onboard mic will record sound when I switch to that, so it's not the software. Yes, I made sure it was off mute. Anyone else have this problem with the yeti?

I have a Yeti Pro and I've had to return it 2x for weird issues (static on the recordings, volume knobs not working). They are good about returns if it does in fact need to be returned. I have never had a problem with my Blue Snowball, though.