Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Subjunctive posted:

Certainly so. Missed deadlines is a simple matter of established fact, and it would take real suspension of disbelief to deny the quality issues so far.

Also you still can’t reorder media favorites in the Model S UI. What are these clowns even doing?

Hilariously, the 'best selling EV in the US' has a total production run so far of ~15k, so I assume that must be counting pre-orders.

Puts them solidly in Delorean Motor Company range for uptake!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

You're casually suggesting 35,000-70,000 DC chargers be built (one or two chargers built on 20% of gas stations) and I'm telling you that's still not enough. You're describing what would be needed for a higher rate of EV adoption. I'm talking about eventually making the sale of new gas cars illegal.

A reminder: 30k chargers at low end to service 15k vehicles which are not in any way evenly distributed geographically. There is absolutely no business case to do this.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Correct, comrade. :ussr:

Hey, if we want to build them as public infrastructure it's a different discussion, but at present you're talking about getting gas stations to do it.

Plus the whole issue that gas station real estate is based around cars in/out in 10 minutes. I'm trying to imagine how you deal with mass EV charging on, say, the Kansas Turnpike where there are hundreds of miles with just median built small gas stations with attached fast food.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Three Olives posted:

People really need to get over the idea that level 3 chargers are equivalent to gas stations and should or will ever be adopted in anything resembling the way we use gas stations. An electric car should be charging overnight on a level 2 station, maybe also at a workplace, level 3 is for unusual trips or emergencies, they aren't even designed to fill up a EV battery, the idea is to get you enough charge quickly enough to get you to a level 2 charger.

It's like if you expected AAA to delivery you 10 gallons of gas instead of just enough to get you to the nearest gas station.

We really have to break people of the idea that design decisions for ICE cars make any sense for EV cars for most users. Cars have large ranges and fuel tanks because going to the gas station sucks, if oil companies had designed an infrastructure system to slowly deliver 5 gallons of gas into your car in your garage overnight at dirt cheap prices everyone would be doing that and it would seem absurd to keep 3 times that in your car at all times just in case you want to take a road trip or have to drive all the way across town every once in a while and don't feel like spending the extra $5 to fill up at the gas station.

'Unusual trips' like driving between cities outside of the coasts.

RZA Encryption posted:

Gas cars offer the ability to not care about any of that. If we want to usher in the glorious EV future, we need to make sure drivers don't have to care about that stuff either. It should all "just work". (go further than needed with the ability to add more range quickly)

Also the ability to not need a tow if they run out of power a quarter mile down the road from a gas station.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 13, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Three Olives posted:

So your solution to mass adoption of EVs is to make them all luxury cars?

Let's be honest. The concept of 100% ev uptake is hinged on forcing the lower and middle classes to accept that car ownership is no longer for them, as they have been priced out. Battery lifespans and the expense of replacing them mean the used market at 20% of retail is no longer a possibility, and at that point nobody making the median us wage can afford to drive.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

Sometimes we suspected that, but then if you look at the standards for automation everywhere else, what those fuckers are doing genuinely is the industry standard thing to do. I think the automation industry is just genuinely terrible and bad at its job. It seems like the goal of an automation project is a video that looks like you got a robot to do a thing, and then you sell your company to a sucker. Nobody wants to make a robot that can reliably do a thing repeatedly.

Much like driving automation, manufacturing automation that can adjust to minor to major differences on the fly reliably is somewhere between extremely difficult and practically impossible if you don't have very tight control over the narrow scope of work and a bucket of funding and time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I know pickup trucks are supposed to be all about The Most Everything In Class, including engine size/power/fuel consumption, but it seems to me there's an awful lot of unused space on them that could be filled with battery packs, like between the frame rails for one. I know the target demographic would never buy one because you'd might not be able to drive across Texas with a herd of cattle in the bed in one, and some of the potential payload would be eaten up by the battery weight so it couldn't claim to have the Best Payload In Class. I just want a PHEV Tacoma.

I sure wouldn't want one because the infrastructure to refuel it quickly outside of major cities and interstates isn't going to be put in for decades, if then. There isn't any financial justification for the level of infrastructure required to build it in the boonies. Same reason 75% of the country only has a handful of Superchargers per state, and all of them are on major highways.

Hybrids are a much better answer for most of the use cases for pickups.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

An efficient diesel make the most sense for a pickup but most people drive them around empty and we sell them with the largest HP engines we can make so marketing.

Well, yeah.

We'd see more of those if 'diesel' wasn't automotive company for 'tack another $15k on the price' in the truck market too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

El Grillo posted:

How many genuine competitor vehicles to Tesla's are either out or going into production any time soon? i.e. long range consumer BEVs. The only one I can think of is the I Pace. Apparently you can order one of those now, I don't know if they are shipping them yet though?

Every ICE powered car on the road is a genuine competitor vehicle, and Tesla still has yet to get changing infrastructure to a state that the benefits aren't overwhelming in much of the US.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tesla has the best charging infrastructure by far
tesla's charging infrastructure is not remotely close to meeting the needs of a 2% market share in North America and therefore it is underwhelming from a growth-supportive perspective. it will be very capital intensive to build this out.

these statements do not conflict

Exactly my point. Tesla's charging system has serious challenges to scale to replace even 20% of the current fossil-fuel consumer car fleet. Not only in building by the company itself, but in financing the power grid and generation upgrades that will be necessary to make it practical outside of major metros.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Godholio posted:

Nothing will push expensive vehicles faster than regressive economics!

Oh come now, surely you're not one of those plebes who has to have a working vehicle to keep a roof over their head!

:rolleyes:

Accelerationism is incredibly lovely unless it's being used to refer to the cult of never lifting.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

To be fair, the consensus among climate scientists is that if we want to avoid loving up the planet too much, we need to do whatever we can as fast as we can to get away from fossil fuels.

And maybe that wouldn't be as much of a problem if our government weren't infested with irredeemable shitlords who see the lower class as vermin (and climate science as an inconvenience to their donors).

Yeah, you're not wrong, but at the same time a single supercontainer ship burning bunker oil puts out the equivalent per year of 50 million cars' worth of pollution. There are 90,000 of them in operation, each running ~270 days per year.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Electric semis are a better direction than luxury cars too.

Good use of electric vehicles absurd torque, plus a vehicle that gives no poo poo for how much the batteries weigh -and- will reliably be stopping for mandated downtime on major highways thanks to DOT regs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

AI's won't need horns.

Nah, they'll just continue to plow into pedestrians and be given ever excuse. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Is the chevy bolt any good? It kinda seemed more like, 'this is a car but it runs on electricity' and less of 'we are disrupting the transportation sector'. Or are the batteries poo poo or something?

It's exactly what a consumer EV should be, just a car that you fuel differently. Not going to revolutionize the world, but will probably sell to people who'd never drop $TESLA.

• Locked thread