Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Michael Scott posted:

Can you expound on this point? Why does Tesla not need to make money on a car whereas GM does..?

Probably because Elon Musk is rich enough to burn money for as long as he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

My leaf does a flat 10% penalty to the mileage display if I turn on the AC. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

In that vein, why does every EV or hybrid on the market apart from the Teslas, Lexus hybrids and the i8 have to carry the looks of a low-budget piece of poo poo?

It doesn't cost any more to make a car that's visually appealing, does it?

I like how my Leaf looks :(

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Linedance posted:

Well, it's a bit like waiting for Wednesday for gas to drop 10c/liter before filling up, or avoiding filling up at highway service stations. Even people who use premium or drive luxury cars do that.

Except that the car does it automatically for you, so why not?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I've been reading this thread, that WBW article on Tesla, and asking a couple questions in the A/T car buying thread. Now I'm thinking pretty strongly about going electric in a couple years, when the lease on my Mazda3 ends. Maybe even sooner if I get a real bug up my rear end and find someone to take the lease, though I'm aware that that's financially a losing decision :v:

Couple questions I figure I'd ask in here--

- I asked this in the A/T thread but didn't get much answer besides "a lot". I live in Las Vegas NV, a land of 115F-at-worst summers, so the air conditioner's running full blast in the summers, at least for the first ten minutes or so of a drive after being parked outdoors (thank god for garages). How much does that suck away at the range of a typical EV? (By typical I mean something I can actually afford to lease without a trade-in--so not a Model S or an i3 :v:)
- Anyone own one and not have access to L2 (220v?) charging? How well/badly does it work out for you? I live in an apartment so my odds of getting them to rewire the garage (or even being allowed to pay for it myself) are slim at best. Some 90% of my driving is a 20mi/daily work commute though, and I almost never go more than 60 miles in a single day anyway, to get to/from the skeet/trap range at the far north end of town.
- For Americans, do you usually roll the $7.5k tax credit back into the lease/purchase, or will the dealership do that for you, or...?

The Leaf says how many miles the AC is draining and it's usually not more than a couple for me and I'm in south Texas, not as many as the heater drains, that's for sure. And if you're plugged in, all EVs should be using the outlet to run the AC instead of the battery.
I don't have a lvl 2 anywhere but public stations, I just use the normal outlet at my apartment and at work. Works out fine since my commute isn't that long either.
If you purchase, the credit is obtained when you file your taxes, I'm not sure if the dealership can give you an advance and take the credit. For a lease, the dealer gets the credit and you get a discount.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Yes. Both. I dont want to go overboard with my lovely opinions beyond "i like X" (3 posts might be enough) but putting it in D and pressing the "gas" will aways feel slushy if i'm not actively controlling the disconnection of the drive wheels during a stop and the slip during setting off. Feeling the car doing things on its own in the seat of my pants is unnerving. To a lesser extent I worry it encourages inattentiveness and feels like its taking control away from me. I wont pretend to not be an automotive luddite, but this is really just a control configuration preference i wont want to lose as i hopefully transition to electric. Plus i enjoy every second of it, even in heavy traffic.

I was thinking of a solution like how they added fake "gears" to CVT cars that should have just gone to one RPM and never moved because the consumer preferred it that way. It sounds like they knew EV motorcycle buyers would want to shift their own gears as well and made that work. Just take an EV, attach some PC car video game controllers for your hand and foot and do the rest with software. It wont be as good, but if i cant have metaphorical heroin i will take this electric methadone.

You should try driving an EV first.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I've never driven an EV either, much as I profess wanting to buy/lease one in two years. I wonder how much a dealer would hate me if I walk in for a test drive for a two-years-from-now lease. :v:

EVs are still enough of a novelty that they're used to it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Clever use for old EV batteries: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/rolling-battery-fixes-ev-chargings-big-problems/
Put them in a cart to use as a mobile charging station at business parks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I have bluetooth audio phone connectivity, hands free calling and OBD-II diagnostics on my 90s miata, while not being forced to carry electric windows, power steering and air conditioning. That article is a pro click. I'm also in the market for a used leaf but i've had too many smartphones that didnt hold a charge all day after a year or two to think its realistic. Will a 10 year old leaf be a viable daily driver? 20? 30?

i hope you know something i dont and its batteries are different somehow :ohdear:

I've had mine for 3.5 years, the battery is going to trip the warranty replacement in about a year when it hits 70% max capacity. Also, the Leaf has a regular car battery to power some of the accessories.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

So this brand new automobile can be expected to last no longer than 10-15 years with an acceptable range (When replacing the battery vs getting a new one out of warranty wont make financial sense) and this vehicle is supposed to be green? I still want one, dont get me wrong. But i hope im misunderstanding.

You don't burn up the battery, you recycle it. That's what makes it green. Well, one thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

King Hotpants posted:

Okay, I guess I'm weird.

We used to have two gas-powered cars. We traded them both in and got the Leaf instead. We live in a rental condo with an attached garage and trickle charge overnight off of a 120V/15A circuit.

I used to make more "driving everywhere all at once" type trips, but I found that my driving style has adjusted to fit the car. Now, I'll look at the errands I have to run in a given week and parcel them out so I won't run out of battery. I haven't really had a problem yet. If we had 240V in the garage, I would be able to do even less planning.

The nearest "destination city" for us is LA, but we've always rented a car to go out of town, even before we had the Leaf. Our last two cars were solid but getting old and we didn't want to risk them crapping out while we were that far from home.

Yep, I live in one of the largest cities in the US, the Leaf's range works just fine for all my in town needs. Friends and rentals exist if I'm going somewhere out of town, which I did before I got the Leaf anyways.

Godholio posted:

Now pretend you're trying to entice the demographic that includes men in their 40s with 3-5 kids and hates everything about their lives. "Yes, I'd like to sit in a booth for half an hour twice a day with these screaming nitwits and my 300 lb wife who spends my paycheck on perfume that smells like roadkill's rear end and McDonalds instead of the peace and quiet of standing at the gas pump fighting the urge to just spark a lighter and call it good."

A road trip where you stop twice for a half hour? That's nothing at all like stopping for lunch and dinner!

The grocery store has charging stations, as does the parking garage across the street and some of the movie theaters. Places that you'd normally spend some time at anyways are are going to end up being the places you "refuel" your EV for in town stuff. EV charging on road trips will end up being like TA and other truck stops that have a bunch of stuff going on, I'd wager. Either way, we're many years away.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm just saying it's not a compelling competition with a gas vehicle when there's an amount of inconvenience and cap on capability. This is America - people want to be Free To Do What They Want, Like Drive To Florida Non-Stop even if they are never going to do it. It's an actual hurdle for EVs and EV fans don't really like to acknowledge it.

People always ask me about road trips. I tell them that's not what the Leaf is for, and neither my bicycle nor my scooter are for long distance trips. Some people have trouble with the idea that a car doesn't have to be an all in one transportation device.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The 2016 Leaf SV/SL now has a 30 kWh battery to provide 107 miles for about the same price as before.
It comes in red now so I might have to trade up even though that would make my custom plate even more weird.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah this kind of poo poo is why, as much as I love my Leaf in general, I'm not really expecting any sort of working self-driving mechanisms from Nissan in the near future.

The 2015 base model doesn't even have a timer you can set to automatically START charging when electric rates are lower, it only has a timer to stop charging at a certain time. I have an alarm on my phone set for when electricity is cheap to go manually plug it in at that time.

Also it does bluetooth calling just fine, with audio going over the speakers, but I can't play music over bluetooth for some reason. While this may be some trim upgrade dipshittery, it more seems like just a really goddamned stupid oversight as it's not explicitly listed as a bonus feature of the higher trim levels in any marketing I've seen.

Must be an upgrade because I don't have the base model and mine can do both of those things. My clocks aren't connected either though, but I expected that for dumb, technical reasons.

wolrah posted:

Nah, connected computers are a good thing as a whole, the tricky thing is convincing the vendors to actually spend time on security rather than rushing features out the door as fast as possible. For that we basically need industry standards and enforcement that actually has teeth. If the stockholders feel it when a security issue comes up you can bet that the company will care next time around.

Yeah, that's one thing that's really impressed me with Tesla, their carputer is basically designed from an computer engineer view point, not an auto engineer view point.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's a nice big screen but the Tesla UI is kind of a running joke among designers for how lovely it is. I guess it's better than whatever GM shat out last week so that's nice but man they really need to hire some serious UX people to redo that thing. It's like looking at some awful website for a mexican restaurant that was last updated in 2003.

Oh, yeah, never let a programmer do graphic design, that's evidence right there as to why they shouldn't. I was talking more about the backend.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I DID buy an extension cord cover when was plugging the leaf into a 30a outdoor cord, though. Just for where the charging brick met the cord because I'd have to leave it draped in an area that tended to puddle. Also, I loathe that 90 degree plug for just that reason.

Yeah, this. Mine has a kink in it because there's only like six inches between the brick and the end of the plug so if you don't have something to put the brink on, it get bent out of shape. I ended up just wrapping the cord around the outlet once to at least support the brick a little bit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

Why not just glue a little shelf there for the brick

I'm in a parking garage & parking lot, not my property.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Pure electric is fine with a 200+ mile range and a backup vehicle.

Its when you lack one or both of those that a hybrid is better.

Chargers don't need to be on every corner like gas stations are unless they become as quick as filling up on gas. We need home+workplace chargers to replace gas stations. Those are the only places where people consistently stay at one location for significant amounts of time each day.

Yeah, a bunch of the grocery stores and movie theaters here have got charging stations, both very handy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ripoff posted:

So for you EV guys out there, how often do you see this poo poo?

I understand why EV charging spots are predominantly closer to buildings and so forth, because trying to feed a L2 charger a ton of amps results in you having to use shorter runs of thicker cable unless you're trying to install a transformer or whatever out there. This makes perfect sense. However, I live in an area with a ton of EVs thanks to Georgia's awesome tax break a few years back on EV sales, and in almost every single parking lot I come across I see someone with a gasser car parked in the EV spot because it's inevitably closer to the building.

EV adoption depends on people realizing that opportunity charging is a thing and that it can cure the range anxiety stuff right off the bat, and I'm stoked that the local grocery store chains are all about doing this stuff for their customers. However, I'm worried that there are a poo poo-ton of narcissistic people out there who will block access to these chargers because "Ahm more important than thay arr" or whatever the idiot driving this Nissan Versa thinks, and that a lot of the frustrated EV crew will eventually say "Ha gently caress this, it'll never work" when it comes to the end of their lease. Then again, it could just be the pricks that live around this area, and as a note I'm moving out of here as soon as I can for that same reason.

As a note - the lady in the Prius had just pulled in at that point and had her car plugged in by the time I was moving out, so it's not like she was using it as a glorified equivalent to a handicapped parking spot.

Not here, since it's illegal or at least there's a big sign on the charger saying it's illegal to park a non charging car there. You should see if you can get a law like that passed at least at the local level.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ripoff posted:

God, I would love to do something like that, and try to get a law passed allowing filtering for motorcycles. However, talking with a few people who have lived here over the years, they've told me it's a solidly red state where your opinion doesn't matter unless it comes attached with a $10k "donation". :smith:

I'm in south Texas, you just have to get it passed at the city level.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Projected images on the dash space? Would be tricky to get the perspective right for all size drivers and seat positions.

Eh, projecting that info on the bottom of the windshield is the new hotness and not nearly that hard to get right enough.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

Also there was a little psych study going around about how Prius drivers were bigger jerks on the road because of the compensation idea - they feel like they're doing something good by driving a Prius and that this entitles them to act more like jerks on the road because it still evens out. Maybe this e-golf thing is basically the same idea.

This is why all EV owners should make it a mission to cut off Prius drivers, really put them in their place.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Linedance posted:

That's California. Where I live, most downtown residential parking is multi-storey underground garages in condo buildings (sometimes barrier separated from the commercial/public use sections). Now, low rise, street level multiplex parking, maybe you can get away with getting an electrician to install a charger at your spor, but dealing with a condo board, building managers and a building that wasn't designed for it in the first place means you're going to need some engineering to get chargers installed, which is not going to be cheap. Yes, you probably can do it, with enough money and perseverance, but your efforts would probably be better spent trying to get a solar+wind power+green roof installed on the building instead.

Eh, you only need a couple outlets in the corner for now. The ones in my parking garage are next to the maintenance room so the power lines didn't have to be run very far. Of course that means you'd only have a couple outlets period, but it's a start. All the parking garages around me only have 2-4 charging spots and those were probably retrofits. Hopefully new garages are being build with an eye to easily adding more charging stations over the next decade.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

I haven't had any experience driving a focus electric but I love my base model leaf, despite some weird flaws/exclusions in the base model (no bluetooth audio even though bluetooth phone works fine argh) its a great car, has great cargo space, and isn't gently caress-ugly like the focus electric.

It's true you don't get the remote app stuff with the base model (unless they changed that with new MYs?) but it also had a horrific security flaw so :v:

You CAN set a timer on it to make it do whatever it needs to do to get the temperature to some factory-set unchangable point around whatever time you tell it, if you mostly want it to heat/cool for your commute or something. It's kind of goofy but works fine if you have a set commute schedule.

It wasn't that horrific of a flaw, just meant anyone could've turned on your AC remotely if you had added it to the app.
Also, it's totally worth the upgrade for the remote start + bluetooth audio, I don't regret it in the least.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Since Tesla doesn't use LIDAR or anything 3D apparently, you could just drive a cerulean blue car.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

wargames posted:

Autopilot is a terrible name, it should have been named lane keeping because driver are idiots and feel they can just sleep through driving.

Yeah, they should call it cruise control, no one has ever confused what that meant and caused accidents.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Yeah, maybe the autopilot should make sure when the driver takes over, they're not doing something dangerous/stupid.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ripoff posted:

I'm glad to hear about the success stories for folks only using 120v charging. The realities of trying to find a reasonably priced place to live are setting in, and it's looking like the apartment lifestyle is my permanent thing going forward. That said, for some odd and awesome reason, Atlanta is chock-full of CHAdeMO/CCS chargers according to PlugShare, so if I hit an "oh poo poo" moment I can get an 80% charge in a half hour and let it soak up the last 20% at home.

Yeah, my apartment complex has regular 120v outlets, but the one across the street has a public level 2 charger that I can use if I need charging quicker. It's worked great for me so far.
And someone mentioned maintenance, I just did the five year maintenance on my 2011 Leaf, only had to replace the tires and wipers. Everything else is still fine (other than the battery which I really need to get around to warranty replacing).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ilkhan posted:

If I get an EV it will be to floor it every stoplight without getting 5mpg like I would in my Mustang (15mpg over 10k miles). Otherwise whats the point of plugging in a 200+ mile range car every evening?

It really is a fun thing to do.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

blugu64 posted:

The anti gm/volt consortium is just myopic and dumb. There is a zero percent chance I'd drive anything electric aside from the Volt right now. People mock the 350 mile road trips, but it's a fact of life that door to door, that's how far from my folks I am. It's 90%+ at 75mph to boot, and I only take one 20min stop on the way. I don't want to stop more, I don't want to stop longer, I've seen every nook and cranny on the way to and from, and I just want to get the trip done. Aside from that I'm all electric, and it's great. The $12k used volt fits a real segment that would be completely unreached otherwise.

That's why you move far enough away you can't just drive to visit your family and have to fly instead, problem solved.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I looked at the rumors for the 18 leaf and now I can't wait to trade in my 2011.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

I have left a voicemail for him that hasn't been returned, anyone know the next step? I will update with repair costs.

Report it to your insurance company, they employ lawyers of their own to make people pay.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

My rates will not raise? The building has threatened him with fines until he contacts me. I am willing to wait 1-2 more business days.

As Goober Peas said, it shouldn't, but you never know what insurance companies will do. If your complex is taking care of motivating him, then wait for that before contacting insurance.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

That reminds me, my 2011 Leaf is about to lose a fifth bar, I really should call Nissan and schedule a battery replacement. Also they need to hurry up finish the 2018 so I can upgrade.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

rhombus posted:

What's your current range at a full charge now?

It says 55 miles when I start it up.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

To be on topic, looks like Nissan will be giving the rest of the 2018 Leaf info out on Sept 5th. Meanwhile, they've added a mode to make the accelerator be an analog controller for the speed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I tow a flat bed tow truck behind my tesla so I have unlimited range.

And on that flat bed? A second Tesla.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

call to action posted:

Depending on where you live, the lease cost differential between a 2018 Leaf (when it arrives) and a Bolt may not be that big, just keep that in mind.

some of us like the look of the leaf more :(

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Agronox posted:

So in other news, new Leaf reveal tomorrow night! I guess we're still looking at a 30 or 40 kWh battery for the base model. Curious what kind of range that will equate to; I have to assume they got a little more efficient compared to the first version.

Tonight, actually. 8:30PM EDT. I do hope there is a 60kWh option since I'd like to stick with Nissan.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Agronox posted:

So in other news, new Leaf reveal tomorrow night! I guess we're still looking at a 30 or 40 kWh battery for the base model. Curious what kind of range that will equate to; I have to assume they got a little more efficient compared to the first version.

And there it is, 400km range in the "extended" edition that'll be out early next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

blugu64 posted:

I only buy EVs that are made from submarines

obv, how else are you going to transport a dead swedish reporter?

• Locked thread