Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

UK Retailer complaining of ASUS tablet quality issues:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/02/uk_retailer_clove_refuses_to_sell_asus_transformer_prime/

Great. Mine arrives tomorrow from Amazon. I've read about people sperging about wifi issues...is that it? I know every negative review on Newegg has a response from Asus support (which curiously points to an XDA thread for help) saying they are working on a fix (plastic back?).

Now, on your link, Asus seemingly angrily "refutes any and all claims from third-parties regarding the quality of our products."

So, they admit there is an issue on Newegg, but make this bold statement? Also, when people bitch about the GPS, Asus' reply is "sorry, it's not a professional GPS unit so expect it to be half-baked."

Having just dropped $500 on this thing, I'm both confused and concerned, all at the same time.

Did I make a mistake buying this thing? Will wifi even be usable in hotels (I travel a lot) where the signal isn't like the router is sitting in the room with you (i.e. hotel wifi is usually weak)?

Edit: here is where Asus support sends you for help on this "non-issue" issue...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1443868

Let's get it together Asus. What's the deal with this thing?

Edit2: submitted to Engadget. I'm spergin' in advance of even receiving one! Asusgate?

Last edit: So, an Asus employee, Gary Key, is "traveling to Taiwan from Jan 27 to Feb 4 to work on Transformer Prime problems with our engineering group."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4025695

What are these "issues" :airquote: you speak of, Clove? -Asus Management

:suspense:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

There's been a lot of speculation about one ASUS mystery product.

Welp looks like Amazon is getting a return on my TF201 that just arrived.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

donglelord posted:

It's a lovely picture of an unannounced product with no known specs or release date.
Yes with a Q2 rumor for release. I guess if my new TF201 that just arrived had working wifi and no dead pixels I would keep it. Sadly it seems to be defective like many others.

If wifi would stay connected long enough to download ICS maybe it will fix itself. It's becoming a chore. The dead / bright pixels are a deal breaker though.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 3, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

El Duke posted:

and a ton of QA problems that stem from Asus being Asus that aren't getting remedied.

Pretty much this. I love this tablet but fear its the ugly duckling of the Transformer brand. It just came out and I had to F5 amazon for days until it finally came in stock when I purchased two days ago. I know there is always another tablet on the horizon and I'm cool with that. I just don't understand how this Prime was released and remains so hot with all the issues it has (none of which have been officially acknowledged by Asus nor are resolutions planned).

Its as if the fixes are being rolled into the next version effectively screwing the current TF201 owners. That's a hard pill to swallow for a product that is still flying off the shelves.

I may return it and suck it up while I wait in the next version. That's a shame because so far minus the issues I have it's pretty much tits.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Not that I want to applaud Asus, but the original Transformer was better built, and since the Prime was apparently the beta for the Transformer Prime EX 701, it stands to reason they might actually get it right this time. Or at least better than the Prime.

This. Asus is capable of making a solid tablet like the original Prime was. The TF201 is the exception.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm going to return the TF201 to Amazon due to the issues I'm having and get a used Transformer TF101 with keyboard dock for $350 locally while I wait on the rumored new Transformer to be released.

Any known pitfalls with the O.G. Transformer? Is this a good price for the unit + keyboard dock?

Thanks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Yea delivery conf is like 19c if you do your postage online. No reason not to do it.

I've never encountered an issue with someone not receiving a delivery confirmation package, but I've always wondered...what do you do if (Asus) says they don't have it? Do you just read the delivery confirmation over and over and tell them "I KNOW IT'S THERE IT SAYS SO HERE."

Just curious if you have any recourse at all. I've always thought not...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So people nowadays actually pull out gadgets at parties and talk about ROMs and stuff?

Man I'm getting old I guess.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

Hey look, a link that has Transformer Prime information and failure rates.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57373634-94/putting-the-transformer-prime-in-perspective/

Spoiler Alert: It's less than 1%

Well the Prime I ordered and promptly returned to Amazon was riddled with issues. The XDA (I know) Prime forum is a scary place. Nothing but rage complaints and this poor guy Gary with Asus actually posts there trying to help people. I cannot imagine his PM inbox volume. He's a brave man.

And I imagine that statement about "only 1%" was a carefully crafted PR move by Asus. The Prime is littered with issues, period.

But then again, for once, I am the 1%. :smug:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dissss posted:

As asked this before but didn't get a response - does any current tablet have decent wifi reception?

My O.G. Transformer, with it's plastic back, has fantastic wifi (and GPS) reception. :haw:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

Followed this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1513750

cliffs: flash to TW firmware, get root again, reinstall recovery, flash ICS

The geek in me says do it, but the rational side of me says sleep on it and wake to a simple OTA :v:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jethro posted:

Just had my first ICS system crash on my TF101, so that's fun. The best part is where it was stuck in a boot loop until I did a manual hard reset.

Yep, me too. Was sitting here watching TV and looked down at my Transformer. It was at the boot screen, then froze. I had to hold down the power button - it rebooted and seems to be working...for now.

Damnit Asus. Here we go with the Prime-like reboots. Sigh.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Secret Sweater posted:

While charging. Anything over like 30 minutes of charging makes it go Fukushima Daiichi status and the outside of it has literally gotten too hot to touch before I unplug it.

My power brick gets nuclear, but the Transformer is just hot. Not untouchable though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Its just strange that an hp touchpad can handle them better with inferior hardware.
In no way is said Touchpad running WebOS. Flash was incredibly sluggish on WebOS. You must have an Android ROM and OC'd the hell out if it for it to play that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does the Transformer Prime with ICS have as big of a problem with random boot-looping that the TF101 does? At least every other day, I'll open up my tablet to find it on the ASUS boot screen with either the spinning loading circle, or the circle will be frozen. The weird thing is it seems to murder my dock battery but not really affect the tablet battery.
I reformatted twice before doing a clean ICS install and mine reboots at least once a day. Also when used with the keyboard dock it reboots all the time. This morning I woke to it on the dock, frozen on the Asus boot screen. It was red hot and the battery was nearly drained.

Its going on ebay tonight as I have ordered an iPad. I'm done with this thing.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I thought you returned it to amazon a long time ago?

Sorry I was referring to my TF101. I did return the Prime long ago.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Apparently he prefers to have someone else deal with it, and only for 500 bucks. :downs:

Have you ever considered returning it to factory?
It's not defective it's just that ICS is very unstable. Prior the the ICS update it never, not once rebooted so its not hardware.

So yeah, I guess I am sticking someone else with it. I only paid $350 for the unit and dock so I'm not losing by pricing it to sell. In no way am I about to try an RMA. Caveat emptor.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

You're right to bail.

Ended up selling my TF101 today for $380. Paid $350 for it 2 months ago.

eBay is a strange place. I'm not really going to miss the Android tablet scene but my GSM GNEX is going nowhere. Love the thing.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 11, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Holy poo poo, $139.99 Kindle Fire refurbs

EDIT: Shipped free!

Yeah just picked one up. Will return the Nook I just got from ebay's daily deals as I am far too invested in Amazons ecosystem. This will be great for accessing free Prime movie/TV content!

Edit: be sure to pick up the leather Marware case from warehouse deals for $9.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 29, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GreatKesh posted:

How does the GPS on the TF101 work? Do I need an app/internet access to use it or does it work like a GPS you can buy for a car that plugs into the cigarette lighter thing?
It works like any phone with GPS. You can use Google maps or any GPS compatible app for Android. The beauty is the TF101's GPS actually works unlike the Transformer and its janky GPS attachment.

You will need internet to access data (A-GPS info and any internet based information) but the GPS will function without internet just fine.

It just works ®

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 19, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm really interested in the 7, but the retina display on my iPad is causing me to hesitate...

Sad, I know, but it's so drat pretty :3:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

At $200 it's the perfect stopgap until I invest some :10bux: x 100 into professional Windows 8 tablet to replace my laptop and desktop.

This is my plan as well. I'm actually thinking of selling my iPad and getting the 7 to use until the Surface comes out. Then I'll sell the 7 and a bunch of other poo poo laying around my house to finance the Surface. Gonna keep my Macbook though.

I'm still debating on the 8/16 version. I may just save the $50 and get the entry level model + case.

It's too cheap not to jump in, especially since I have a shitload of purchased Android apps to use on it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So I have a thing I can do tomorrow.

A guy locally went to I/O and he is selling his Q online locally. I emailed him back and forth and he agreed to sell it for $262. Odd price, odd device, but I'm intrigued.

I emailed him a few times back and forth and asked if he would sell his Nexus 7 (he didn't want to). I emailed an offer anyway for the Q and Nexus 7. $500. He just emailed back and said deal!

I know it's the 8gig white Nexus 7. I also know the Q, as it stands, is a one-trick pony, but I do believe Google will expand it's capabilities as time goes on.

So, if you were me and you happened to have $500 (I will have it from my iPad sale this week) would you do this? I did pre-order a 16gig Nexus 7, but honestly think I could manage with 8gigs. Of course, 16 would be better though. Essentially this works out to a very similar price-point for both today (after tax and shipping from Google Play).

Edit, a case is also included.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 2, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

XIII posted:

I wouldn't waste the money on the Q. Yeah, it's super well designed, visually speaking, but, as a functional piece of equipment, it's pretty pointless. I really like how Google pointed out that it has a micro usb port "for easy hackability" (or something like that). It feels to me like they're just saying, "here's a fancy piece of technology, please buy it and make it useful to you."

Yeah, everything I've read about the Q is truly scathing. I'm going to sleep on it. I have a glimmer of hope that Google will do something with it though. I mean, it has 16gigs and runs Android, so there's no way it can only stream music, youtube and Play stuff.

Right?...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to clarify, they are unopened and not used. Anyway, the price on these items from Google Play would be $577 after tax and shipping, so I would be saving over purchasing them as they are listed today.

I'm probably going to pass due to not knowing what the future of the Q is and not wanting to be constrained to 8gigs.

And no I'm not a billionaire. I just sell stuff to buy stuff. Circle of life and all. Very little, if any, out of pocket expense.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 2, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
gently caress all y'all

$400. Blast away...

Also has a $25 Google Play credit. So $375 :smug:

Now to figure out what to do with this bowling ball thingy... :wtc:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 3, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Welp, I put the tablet on eBay and it sold in 3 minutes. $349 :stare:

8 gigs was not enough. I'll just wait on my preorder.

I felt like a bottom feeder for...about 2 seconds. Then I felt like a very smart man.

Currently doing an experiment with the Q. Wonder if anyone will buy the thing?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

So what's the longest you have kept an android device?

Haha. My GNEX actually. Overpaid for it royally when it first came out and now the resale value is like a 2007 Kia, so I'll just keep it.

The Nexus 7 did set a short-term record though. About 3 hours. That's cool with me. It's a nice tablet and I'll definitely pick up a 16gig one.

And people on eBay confuse me, but that's alright with me (and my wallet).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lol, I saw that. It stood out in the sea of completed listings in the $300-$400 range. I figured $349 would sell fast and it did.

That idiot who bought it for $1,825 must have been drunk or something. Actually, I'm sure it was a fake bid so they could enjoy their 10 minutes of internet fame.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What? Did this suddenly stop being a problem in the last 6 months I haven't owned an Android tablet?

It's...beautiful :stonk:

How can an app as mainstream as Twitter look so lovely? I mean c'mon man!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm trying to cache 84megs of Google Maps currently and the download is so slow, you'd think I'm on dial-up. What's this all about?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The 8gig has 5 usable gigs out of the box. Avoid it (I had and sold the white I/O version).

Unless you are ok with that little amount of space. I wasn't.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
You can easily cancel a Google play order... or at least I was able to cancel mine about 2 weeks ago with no issue. There is a number on Google's website where you put in your phone number and they will call you right back. Took about 3 minutes to do.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rumbaar posted:

Tried to return mine today, due to a dead pixel. The store wouldn't take it back, as ASUS indicate you have to have '3 bright dots or 5 dark dots or 8 in total' before they will except a warranty return.

Has anyone returned a single dead pixel unit? Preferably in Australia.

EDIT: On phone to ASUS, and they now they say they do not have a dead pixel warranty at all. So dead pixels are not covered under warranty.

I can't help, but I do fine ASUS' "bright pixel" policy (at lest on it's computers) to be pretty misleading since it doesn't seem to cover colored stuck pixels. Sneaky.

At any rate, my Nexus 7, purchased from Office Depot in downtown Seattle, is perfect. No lifting, pixel issues, ghosting. What sweetened the pot is the 16gig rang up $249 (duh) and the manger said "these are $199 I think" and changed the price. That prompted me to get the 2-yr damage warranty. What are the chances that if it breaks and I bring it in, they will deny a replacement because the purchase price was wrong?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How well does the flap wake/sleep the tablet? Color me sold if isn't flaky about it.

I have a variation of that case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D2POAS/

The sleep/wake magnet works 100% of the time. It's a great case.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
You can get the flash .apk directly from Adobe's archive.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4675670

I'd trust that before some XDA .apk.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I'm such a sucker for buying my 16 gb at Walmart last week. Oh well, I don't see myself having any issues with storage anyway since I either stream everything from Netflix, HBO Go, or Rdio.

Return that sucker! You have 90 days...I don't see why not.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Or get it today for $229 w/no tax and free shipping :v:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-ASUS-1B32-32GB-Tablet-Quad-core-Tegra-3-Processor-/310502050925

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
4.2 sounds like a disaster! I suppose we can (should?) expect a 4.2.1 soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Have there been any reviews of the Nexus 7 with HSPA+?

The Verge's was like "read our Nexus 7 review and pretend it had a modem."

I wouldn't expect anything much different that that regardless of where you go.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639904/google-nexus-7-with-mobile-data-review