Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Boywunda posted:

For those asking about streaming media to Android, I know this should be in the Android App thread, but there is also a GOON made app called Emit. There's a free version as well.

To be fair, probably half the thread now has $25 to spend at the play store.

Also, did anyone get the case? I'm wondering how nice/well it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Things I don't like:

- The official case. It's a cheap rubber sleeve covering a very nice device. The button covers are sloppy and mushy. The screen cover registers taps on the screen when you close it. Skip it and pick up a nicer cover that utilizes the screen idle magnet.

I had a feeling this would be the case. :rimshot: Now to wait for decent ones to come out.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

When did google buy flipboard?

Dunno, but the new Google+ app is awesome. makes me wish more people used it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

BunLengthHotDog posted:

I had to enable "show recent searches" under the privacy and accounts section of Google Nows settings. The only thing that added for me was sports scores...which would not show up automatically without that option checked. Maybe it impacts other cards as well.

Just search for stuff. I've looked up addresses on my desktop and had directions and traffic information show up on a card. It did take a couple of searches for things to start showing up.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you have a source for this? This page says otherwise.

I know that they let me cancel the day after I ordered, but this was the day after pre-orders went live too. Things may have changed.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

My nexus 7 just died :(

Battery got low and it shut down. Plugged it back in and turned it on to a faint burst of static from the speaker then static on the screen. Thinking I'll let it charge and hope that's the problem.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Tunga posted:

Sorry, this isn't completely related, but what battery percentage did it die at? Mine has been switching off at 15-20% and I'm yet to discover if anyone else sees this.

When it happens I get a staatic noise as it switches off and then the device won't power up again until I charge it for a few minutes. The battery charging logo doesn't even show up until I charge it for a few minutes and then disconnect/reconnect the USB lead.

It was somewhere around 5%. When yours shuts down is there anything on the screen? I was able to get it started up long enough to see that it registered my wall charger as usb instead of ac. Changed wall outlets and left it plugged in for a bit and that fixed it. Never had that problem with the battery getting that low before.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Fatal posted:

I'm having a battery issue with my Nexus, not sure if it's just me coming from an iPad or what but here's what I'm experiencing. I pretty much exclusively use it before I go to bed, surfing the web about 30-45 minutes a night (Either betamax or another forum or two, no video). That's it, no other time on it at all. However I'm finding it just sits there and drains the battery so that I have to charge it about every 3 days even though I only have used it a maximum of 2 hours. Is this odd behavior or am I just expecting too much?

My usage pattern in similar and that's about what I get. I've got something hitting the wifi while it's asleep, but I'm too lazy to figure out what it is.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Vagrancy posted:

Here's a hands on which actually deals with the software, not just the hardware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNvCR6A_TWA

Watching him fumble around is painful.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Not sure about the source, but they're saying the Nexus 10 will be $299

http://www.gadget-specs.com/2012/07/google-nexus-10-price-and-released-date.html

They need to stop making these. I've already replaced a Kindle Fire with a Nexus 7. Not sure I could resist a 10" tablet for that price, especially one that's AOSP.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

I also got this on recommendations from this thread. Its a good case.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

IT Guy posted:

Depends on if he has email syncing or apps auto updating or wifi always on, etc. There are so many variables. My nexus 7 can last around 2 weeks if I turn that stuff off.

Edit: ^

Edit 2:

What's your screen on time? I get 3-4 days on mine, but that's with 1.5-2 hours of screen on time a day.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Which cache is it you're supposed to clear to recheck for OTA updates?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

w00tazn posted:

I can't help you there but, there wasn't any ETA on the OTA updates with the AOSP migration today.

oh, heard it was out for the N7 and assumed they were pushing it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

IT Guy posted:

Hey guys, I like the new clock app.

The stopwatch is neat with the lap counter. Its kinda ugly, but the previous one wasn't a looker, so its still a net gain.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

If you wipe the Kindle OS, you probably will not be able to use any of the Amazon Digital Store features (movie/TV renting or buying, most likely Kindle Books will be nonfunctional as well).

The original KF does not have Bluetooth.

The only part of Amazon's ecosystem that is exclusive to the Kindle Fire are amazon's TV/Movie streaming. You can just load the Kindle app for android from the market. Its actually very similar to your experience on the native Fire's software.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Oddly enough, I switched to my other wireless router and my Nexus 7 idle battery drain has dropped to a half a percent per hour.

My normal wireless router is a Buffalo running Tomato. I switched on the wireless in my Actiontech router that Verizon gives out and connected to that and the battery drain pretty much stopped.

is one 802.11N and the other G?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Shadowgate posted:

Press power and volume down at the exact same time.

And good them in for a second. The screen will kinda shrink into itself.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Warchicken posted:

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before, but browsing the thread I haven't seen it obviously - is there an awful app for the kindle fire?

If you dig around or ask in the Awful Android thread; you can find the apk to sideload. There isn't one in the Amazon store though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Going out of a limb here, but Best Buy isn't exactly renowned for their accuracy in....anything.

My guess is that's the fully packaged weight with box and charger and everything.

I went looking and couldn't find any other verification of the weight. It is a solid aluminum chassis, so it won't exactly be light.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Okay that's pretty awesome and would be worth an upgrade.

Yeah, that at the same price points would be amazing.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've had a nexus 7 for 2 months. I must admit I have barely used it, but recently went on holiday and it was great for internet and email stuff. One morning it just won't come on, plugged it in and turned it on, all I get is flickering white lines of pixels. Anyone had this?

Organising a return with Asus who have emailed back to say they'll be emailing to confirm a collection time/date. Bit frustrating but whatever. The thing that irritates me is that in the paperwork emailed through they say:

"ASUS shall not be held liable for the permanent loss, damage, or misuse of your data."

Obviously everything is backed up so don't care about loss, but I can't get on the device to wipe it so its tied to my email and play account and has a few private files on it, in fact any file on it that is mine is private. Why the hell shouldn't they be held liable for misuse of my data? I mean the clue is right there in the word 'MISuse'.

Have you let it charge a little and then tried to turn it on? I've gotten that when the battery has been completely dead.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I have yeah, I am sure it was on charge over night directly before it ceased working. Again the next morning I left it plugged in for long enough that I would expect something to happen. But yeah, I'll give it one more go now before I agree a pickup time.

If it does start working again I cannot guarantee I will return to this thread and admit that essentially I was too thick to manage charging it up!

I thought mine had died, when I just needed to give it an hour on the charger. Felt like an idiot when it started working right.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's been no buzz about anything coming at I/O except a rumored X-Phone by Motorola.

There has been confirmation that there'll be more about Google TV there according to Google's Twitter and Google+ accounts. :v:

This is true, Asus showed off what became the nexus 7 at either CES or Mobile world Congress, then it just disappeared until Google I/O. Maybe the Nexus Q is their big hardware push :haw:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Telex posted:

not to squash the N7 talk, but is there a charger made that will let the Nexus 10 operate without draining?

I'm just keeping the thing on daydream with an ipad charger (the big one, not the small one) and the battery slowly drains all day rather than maintaining or actually charging.

The battery is going to do that some. The charger should let it charge, then run off the battery, and top it back off. If its never topping back off, then try a different charger.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Sereri posted:

I think "single US model" just mean that there aren't different models for At&t/TM and Verizon LTE, so just a single US model.

Yes, but what else does it support? The rest of Verizon & AT&T/TM's networks are incompatible. So its either LTE only, and thus won't really work anywhere else or it has extra guts and that's what Tunga was asking about.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Hahaha, the idea of using a tablet for Google Wallet is pretty lol.

The idea of taking photos with a tablet is pretty dumb to me too, but people do that all the time.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

It is, but the N7 doesn't do it for some reason.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

bull3964 posted:

A nice tweak that Motorola added to the X/MAXX is that when it detects the wireless charger but knows it isn't centered right, it puts a circle up on the screen to allow you to align it properly. It's a simple thing, but works great.

What I want now is a stand with integrated wireless charger that allows you to adjust where the coil is to match the device. That way you can just toss it on the stand and it will line up right.

Kinda expensive but Panasonic already makes one: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-QE-TM101-K-Black-Wireless-Charger/dp/B0051R4ECM

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Guess I remembered it wrong. I do think that I/O is a long time from now for a smart watch release. It's like Microsoft announcing the Surface, everyone is excited, and then they don't actually put it out for months and months.

The nexus 7 was announced at I/O 2012. So there is a precedent for it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Tegra 2 and 3 didn't seem too popular. People around here seem to hate them compared to the Snapdragons at least.

The 2012 Nexus 7 had a Tegra 3 in it and it was fine. There were "issues" with Tegra 2, especially on phones.

I may be mistaken, but I think most Tegra 2 devices didn't see anything past gingerbread.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welp. Looks like I was wrong. :v:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/21/this-is-volantis-htcs-nine-inch-nexus-tablet/

8.9" Display at 2048x1440 (281ppi)
NVIDIA Logan 64-bit processor (Tegra K1)
2GB RAM
16/32GB internal storage
8MP OIS main camera, 3MP front facing camera
Aluminum zero-gap construction
Stereo front-facing speakers
8.91"x5.98"x0.31" body (that's 22.63x15.19x0.79cm)
418g (or 427g with LTE) (that's 14.74/15.1 ounces)

16GB for $399
32GB for $499

AP Mock-Up:

Funny how the nexus line started off cheap and the price just keep creeping up.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

JoeMB posted:

Hopefully pricing isn't final since that $100 bump to 32GB is way too much.

Apple gets away with it :downs:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

What sense would it make for them to only use a tablet to push the L-release? That feels like they're going back to Honeycomb days.

Sure there's the Nexus 5 and maybe even the 4, but what if there's hardware-specific stuff like the N5 has with turning the CPU off when you're locally playing music with the screen off?

I still say that @evleaks was wrong and we'll most likely see an L-release tablet and an L-release phone.

The first nexus 7 was the reference device for 4.1 so its not unheard of.

Personally, i'm just hoping for one more nexus phone since my nexus 4 is getting a touch old and LTE would be cool.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Isn't this what that Nexus 8.9 is supposed to have in it?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's been officially confirmed by Google to Android Police that the 2012 Nexus 7 will receive Android Lollipop as well.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...d-5-0-official/

This means that every single Nexus (minus the Nexus Q, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Nexus One) will receive the update:

Nexus 7 (2012)
Nexus 4
Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 5
Nexus 9
Nexus 6

Wow. Hopefully it won't run like a dog on the 2012.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

(Crosspost from Phone Thread)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...er-in-november/

Nexus 7 (2012, WiFi), Nexus 7 (2013, WiFi), Nexus 10 will receive the OTA for Android 5.0 starting November 3, 2014 while the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 7 (2013, LTE) (and presumably Nexus 7 (2012, HSPA) will get it "later that month" according to AP.

Whatever, just post the factory images already Google. Don't need no steenkin' OTA.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Manky posted:

I recently factory reset my 2012 N7 and I am so pleased with how snappy it feels. No lollipop for the mobile version so I'm still on Kit Kat. Feels blazing compared to my 2013 Moto G.

I flashed mine when the factory images dropped. Still stutters pretty bad on Lollipop. Bought it at launch, I guess 2.5 years isn't too bad with it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Mogomra posted:

Lollipop is definitely a net loss for me, but I can't be bothered to flash back to KK.

I'm on the '12 N7 so that's probably it.

I've found that disabling Google Now and the Google Now launcher makes my 2012 N7 usable. It's maybe a little slower than it was on kitkat, but I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

Boy, I came in here to freak out about not getting the OTA Lollipop for my 2012 Nexus Wifi and it seems that...I have nothing to worry about? Just keep on keepin on? Cool

You'll get it eventually. And it'll probably just jump straight to 5.0.2 which is much improved over the initial 5.0 release. At least it is for me.