Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Well I'm pretty much ready to order a Nexus 7; is the poetic slimline the preferred case in this thread for any particular reason? And what are some alternative you guys can recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If I bought swiftkey for my phone, do I have to pay again to get it on my tablet?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

DemonMage posted:

No, but the tablet specific version is a separate purchase. The regular version works quite well on my N7-2013.

Hmm, I have the paid version on my phone, but I look it up on the apps list in Google Play,it shows up as the free trial version (both on my HTC One X and N7-2013).

Edit: Found the problem, I was using a weird "editor's version" that I got on sale.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 23, 2013

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's the thread's recommendation for Nexus 7 (2013) screen protectors? I really like the feel of the naked screen but I have a feeling I'll need one.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Cool, that saves me a bit of trouble then.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

I'm an idiot, how do I update my 2013 N7 with this?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I finally updated my Nexus 7 to 4.4 and I don't notice anything different, does this make me a bad person?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I bought a poetic slimline case for my 2013 Nexus 7 back in October and it was working out well until early-mid January when both corners on the left side just started... kind of disintegrating and falling apart. I know that there's a 3 year warranty,but for something this cheap, I feel like it's not really worth the hassle of opening a RMA, shipping it back to them and waiting to get a replacement. Has anyone had any success with any other similar cases for their 2013 Nexus 7?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm not sold on the 4:3 aspect ratio and the pirce tag yet, but I guess I'll have to wait for some reviews first. My 2013 7 is still perfectly fine and I suppose I don't really NEED a new tablet yet...

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Someone talk me out of getting a Nvidia Shield Tablet, I have a N7 and don't like the aspect ratio of the N9 because I mostly use it for video.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Ixian posted:

You asked someone to talk you out of it and as Don Lapre is the thread smartass in residence he told you not to. Pretty straightforward.

The real answer is no one knows, it's a tablet, with specs on the high end, made by a reputable manufacturer, just like the N9. Get whatever one comes in the color you like or something.

It was me that asked someone to talk me out of it and other people gave actual answers

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Has anyone run into issues with the touchscreen becoming less responsive with 5.0.1 on their 2013 Nexus 7? I got the OTA 2 days ago and the amount of times I've have to double or triple tap something is worrisome.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Are there any good 16:10 tablets on the horizon or is 4:3 the wave of the future?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

FYI, I was chatting with a Dell representative trying to get a 50% off deal on a Venue 8 7840 today (they were out) and they offered me a Venue 10 7040 for "50% off $459" (so about $230 + taxes/shipping). I was pretty turned off by the Anandtech review, but I thought I'd mention it here since that's a pretty great deal for a 10" tablet with a 2560x1600 AMOLED display.

How do I get this deal, I am dumb and have too much money

E: I dropped my Tab S 8.4 one time too many and the glass on the screen shattered. The display still works, but it's not covered by the warranty and I'm not sure there are any good 16:9/16:10 tablets left worth getting

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 14, 2015

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
For what it's worth, I have a nexus 6P and don't really have any issues with my Samsung Tab S2 but I mainly just use to to watch videos in bed and on planes

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I always see this, that tablets are for "consuming media" in bed. When I lay in bed and consume media, I set my laptop on top of me and use zero hands. Are there people literally holding the screen they're using to watch poo poo for hours at a time? I'd consider that akin to torture. I'm certain I'd prefer dental work (at least I'm not holding something for an hour).

Most cases for tablets fold in such a way that it can prop up the tablet to stand up with zero hands and a tablet weighs much less than even the lightest laptop and is probably more durable if it falls off the bed if you roll over after falling asleep.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah I upgraded from a tab s2 to the media pad m5 (10.8 inch model though) and my main complaints are that it's heavier than I expected and it hates to play anything higher than 1080 (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu,.twitch) which is a bit ridiculous in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

SlayVus posted:

I got mine from GizTop when it first came out. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. GizTop is selling the 8GB 128GB version for $350 vs the $500 launch price. The 12GB 256GB is $400 from $600. I don't know why you wouldn't need anything more than the SD870. The best I like about it is that screen isn't OLED. Really snappy, use NA play store and everything else. I guess the only reason why I think you might want like a SD8G2 is for high end emulators.

Why is having an OLED display a bad thing