Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Informant! is genius and has one of the laugh-out-loud funniest moments in any Soderbergh movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

I think the overall point is that aesthetically, this movie is very much a copy of Iron Man. We can pick things that both look just like it and things that look nothing like it, but in total it's entirely done in the aesthetic of Iron Man. It's a smart production decision to emulate a successful film, can't fault them.

To be fair, the original Robocop felt very much like a cross between Iron Man and Judge Dredd. So I would argue that influence was always there, before there were even Iron Man movies.

To be also fair, this new one certainly looks a lot more overall derivative, but hey, it's a sci-fi franchise reboot in The New Age of the Remake so that's to be expected.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

This might be the worst derail I have ever seen.

Y'all need to go polish your helmets.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am really curious to see how well 50 Shades does and so should all nerds because this may be the beginning of another rated R renaissance.

I'm ecstatic for it for all sorts of reasons.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's really funny to see the likes of Jennifer Lawrence and Fassbender in this now.

I count four Oscar nominees and two winners in that image.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's really easy to forget Halle Berry is an Academy Award winner, given what she's been up to.

Seriously.

Still very pumped for this movie, though.

edit: correction, five nominees and two winners, I forgot Jackman got nominated for Les Miserables.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 28, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Really? I've only really seen one of the WWE movies in 2013 (Dead Man Down) because it seemed like the most batshit (and it was). I guess I'll have to check out No One Lives and The Call one of these days.

I heard wildly mixed things about The Call, but it's a Brad Anderson joint and I've liked most of what I've seen by him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lotish posted:

Isn't Sunspot supposed to be Japanese?

Sunspot is Brazilian. Sunfire is Japanese.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'll never understand why when a leading actor or actress has a bomb they can't get cast in anything. I mean I'm sure at first it's a pride hit to take less money or not play a lead but when you work on a bomb, don't you want to build your name back up? Are major directors really saying, "Yeah, I could cast Berry/Clive Owen/Brody in my movie in a supporting role but... he sucked in this movie as the lead so nope"?

I mean I'd think much of the time it's less of an artistic call and more of a financial one. Movie stars cost money and studios want a return on their investment. If an actor is seen as having lost large amounts of money for a studio in the past, that studio and others are gonna be less likely to foot the bill for them in the future. As for the "take smaller parts" thing, I don't think it's any big secret that the Hollywood system is made up almost entirely of people with enormous egos.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My friend did some construction work on Adrien Brody's castle. True story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Young Freud posted:

What blows is that Nimrod is actually Rachel "Phoenix" Summers' nemesis from her continuation of Days Of Future Past. Not only do we not get Kitty Pryde going back in time, but there's no setup for her at all since both Cyclops and Phoenix are dead.

Yeah but the whole Rachel Summers storyline was terrible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

7 new character posters for Seth MacFarlane’s A Million Ways to Die in the West. with MacFarlane, Charlize Theron, Amanda Seyfried, Liam Neeson, Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Silverman, and Neil Patrick Harris.

I can't say I'm much of a MacFarlane fan, but I gotta be honest: my interest has been piqued. That's a hell of a loving cast he put together.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Noxville posted:

With the exception of Seth MacFarlane.

I remain undecided on him as an actor. I mean, I've never seen him in anything but a voiceover performance, which he's not terrible at. I remember liking him in Hellboy II.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can't wait for this to come out. 21 Jump Street was a surprise hit with me and one of the funniest movies I've seen in theaters in years, so I hope this one can reach that same level.

Has any comedy sequel besides Waynes World 2 ever done this?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Corek posted:

Paquin won too. She isn't in the movie, but she is in that image.

To recap: Anna Paquin (1993), Halle Berry (2001), and Jennifer Lawrence (2012) are Oscar winners. Ian McKellen (1998/2001), Ellen Page (2007), Hugh Jackman (2013), and Michael Fassbender (2014) are nominees.

Ah, Jennifer Lawrence was actually the one who I forgot won, I only remembered her being nominated.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Uhhh I liked Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey more than the original but I'm sure some would disagree (like I disagree with Wayne's World 2 being same level as original Wayne's World). Hot Shots Part Deux was equal or better than the original Hot Shots! I think the best example though is Gremlin's 2: The New Batch.

I'm not as crazy about Gremlins 2 as a lot of people here are but these are all acceptable answers, especially Hot Shots Part Deux which is way better than the first. Good call.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Addams Family Values, too.

poo poo, I really feel like an idiot for forgetting that one, that's one of my favorite comedies ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I absolutely agree that Evil Dead 2 is a better movie than the first (although they're both great), but Evil Dead isn't a comedy (I know some of you are going to insist it is, but here's the thing: it's not) so it doesn't really fit the kind of thing I was referring to.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

Apparently Fassbender basically had to be forced to do the movie at gunpoint.

The image of Singer/Fassbender pulling a Herzog/Kinski is just too good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Because after Land of the Dead they either didn't come out in theaters at all or at least not in wide release.

I saw both in theaters, but yeah, fairly limited release.

Survival is pretty bad but Diary is god-loving-awful in a way you don't get to see very often.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yo all y'all making GBS threads on Robin Hood: Men In Tights are dead to me.

Also Dracula: Dead and Loving It is indeed mostly really bad but as cheap a gag as it is I do like the staking scene.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I would have gone to bat for Men In Tights any day of the week before I revisited it a couple of years ago. It's very not good.

I revisited it a couple weeks ago and I'm in strong disagree mode.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Elwes is great in Men In Tights but on my recent rewatch I was struck by how much the guy who plays the Sheriff of Rottingham steals the movie.

I then IMDB'd him to see if I knew him from anything else and weirdly enough the only other credit of his I know is The Prestige.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No one forgot. He's almost as bad as that other guy in the room with him.

Yeah most of the time I'm actually real happy when Cary Elwes pops up in a movie but he's indefensibly terrible in Saw. But then I think Saw is indefensibly terrible all around. Not since Children of the Corn has a movie so bad spawned such a sturdy franchise.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 28, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I feel people only really see the "twist" in unbreakable as all that much of a twist because of The Sixth Sense. Person you thought was a good guy was actually the villian that was behind the whole thing is not only a pretty typical plot beat but it's so typical of the genre that the film is about. I just don't feel just because a plot turn is unexpected, means it qualifies as a twist. For me, something being a twist has to make you really re-evaluate almost everything you've seen in the movie and it recontextualizes alot of stuff. The one in unbreakable just changes what one characters actual motivation was. It just feels really minor to me.

If anything's a twist ending, the ending to Unbreakable is definitely a twist ending. Like, it comes in literally the final seconds of the movie and everything. It's not just about revealing he's the bad guy, it's about revealing he caused the train crash that set the whole movie in motion.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno about those. The first one only works because it's so tasteless, and the rest are just kinda boring.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The first one works in the same way that the teaser for Girl With the Dragon Tattoo works, where you get all this aggressively unsubtle rape imagery leading up to "THE FEEL BAD MOVIE OF CHRISTMAS" and realize, "wow, this movie is going full-bore and really doesn't give a gently caress what I think about it."

Of course, the movie itself sucked. I miss good Fincher, so I hope this movie doesn't suck.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

A lot of the promo art is going for that unsettling mix of sex and death:

I know pretty much nothing about the book except that a handful of people got really mad about that aspect of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

But the promos just make me restless for a nonexistant Nekromantik remake starring Ben Affleck.

Goddammit, I would so watch this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I'm curious what you consider "good Fincher" if you thought Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sucked.

Now that you mention it, everything but Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, pretty much (note: have not seen Benjamin Button).

I was not a fan of the novel or the Swedish movie either, though. Although I'd probably take the Swedish movie over Fincher's movie if only because I thought Noomi Rapace was much better in that role than Rooney Mara.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Neither is Panic Room really, so I find it puzzling that somebody could like "every Fincher movie but GWTDT".

Panic Room is lesser Fincher, but I wouldn't call it bad Fincher. There's still a lot to like in that movie.

I struggle to like anything about Dragon Tattoo. The cinematography's pretty, I guess? But it's not like it's the only Fincher movie with pretty cinematography.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still say the most valuable thing about Dragon Tattoo is that nobody can call Alien 3 his worst film anymore, so maybe people will acknowledge that as the good movie it is.

I didn't know people didn't like The Game. I actually didn't like it much the first time I saw it, but on a recent rewatch I thought it was really great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll bet that movie is really bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Horns was a good book and I would consider myself a fan of Alexandre Aja so I'm very much looking forward to this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Before I scrolled down to the title I thought this was for Falling Down.

Between Falling Down, Straw Dogs, and To Kill a Mockingbird, A Christmas Story is the film that poster least resembles.

Throw some green on there, christ.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Go ask any local bookstore how much their "New Age/Spirituality/Paranormal" section sells and prepare to be depressed.

Or don't be depressed because that poo poo's dope.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I'm excited to see what the next APOCALYPSE OH LAWD craze is gonna be. I was too young for the Cold War nuke scares, then it was Y2K, then the 2012 Mayans...c'monnn, what's next?

Global Warming/Food & Water scarcity. Which have the advantage of being actually real.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Weird that the dude who directed this movie went on to write Cloud Atlas.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

Different David Mitchell, dude!

No, I'm pretty sure it's the same one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spriiiiiiiing breeeeeeeeeaaaaaak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still can't get over how bad Scarlet Witch looks. This must be how everyone else felt about Quicksilver in Days of Future Past.