Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
A good Luc Besson poster:

The Sunshine theater in New York has a gigantic version of this in its lobby that is very striking.

Let's see what's popped up on IMP Awards recently...

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Great movie, and very appropriate re-release poster. The original poster is pretty baller though:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

beanieson posted:

Harmon talked a bunch of poo poo about NBC & they brought him back anyway.
Oh, it wasn't just NBC. He ratcheted up to John Kricfalusi levels and talked poo poo about everyone involved with the show, then feebly apologized when he realized that he'd have to work with them again. Also he self-diagnosed himself with Asperger's because he identified with a fictional character he wrote who may or may not have Asperger's.

ShufflerZero posted:

Return to Horror High

So there's another VHS cover that has a skeleton cheerleader on it? I can't find the other one, but it has the immortal tagline of "Gimme a D! Gimme an I! Gimmee an E!" or something similar.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Now this is how you do a re-release poster.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Walking through the lobby of a theater near me, I did a huge double take:

They were indeed showing the first movie, and I'm kind of amazed I didn't know about it until I saw that poster.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

When I watched Gravity in the theatre, there was a couple in front of me who clearly thought it was too long. They got up when Sandra Bullock's character gives up in the escape pod, just before Clooney shows up again.

They ended up returning to their seats two minutes later. I guess they originally intended to beat the rush of people leaving, which didn't exist because it was an early afternoon showing?
That movie is 83 minutes long without credits. On what planet is that 'too long':wtc:

Wompa164 posted:

Angelika? Are you in Dallas? I saw the same thing looking at their website last night and was smitten.
This is in White Plains, New York.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm amused by this 1898 movie poster that emphasizes the fact that it's copyrighted.

Odd that they mention copyright since you couldn't copyright films until 1911 or 1912 (I forget which year). Film piracy and unauthorized dupes were a huge problem before then for just about everybody who produced motion pictures. That's why intertitles would often have the studio logo as the border, and why you can sometimes see the studio logo within the movies themselves, often painted on props ("Life of an American Fireman" has THOMAS EDISON PRODUCTIONS visible in a picture frame if I remember right).

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Cool posters I've seen of late:

Poster for the rarely-seen musical version of "The Seven Samurai":

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

They're not exactly posters but loving :aslol: at every one of these Empire covers for Days of Future Past: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=114003

How are there twenty five different covers for the same issue? Jesus.

I found this hilarious Japanese poster for "Seven" a few days ago:

EDIT: Another poster for Jim Rash's character in "300" and he looks pissed.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 27, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

computer parts posted:

Huh, I thought HFR would be dead after The Hobbit until Avatar 2 comes out but I guess not.
There's been quite a bit of news saying that Fox will not release "Days of Future Past" in HFR, even though most of the movie was shot at 48 frames per second.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Cover to a Super 8 movie that one of my teachers "found on the street".

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Rocky" is getting re-released on Blu-Ray in Germany. This is the actual cover.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I took this picture at a Best Buy yesterday. Seems someone at Fox had the bright idea that minimalist posters needed to be much uglier and jaw-droppingly terrible.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Eiko Ishioka strikes from beyond the grave.
Speaking of, she designed awesome posters.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
BFI previewed their new poster for the 1932 "A Farewell to Arms" on their Twitter account:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
From the distributor that brought you "Boyhood" and "The Human Centipede"!

That hashtag is certainly something.

EDIT: Have a similar horror poster layout of 'monster looming over something'.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 29, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Speaking of... good excuse to post this "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" poster.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Shout Factory's art for the "UHF" Blu-Ray. I dig it. It looks like something out of 1989.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
This is apparently a real newspaper ad from 1984 or so. Both movies came out from Paramount.

Here's an ad from "Alien"'s US TV premiere. Guess whoever illustrated hadn't seen the movie.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

lelandjs posted:

So MGM is celebrating their 90th anniversary with special edition Blu-Rays with (you guessed it!) special minimalist covers! You can see them all here, but here's a few that I felt "deserved" to be highlighted, usually because their existing posters didn't need to be improved upon or the minimalist execution was just too hacky:
I saw these at Best Buy the other day, with a couple more that weren't posted inclduing "Bull Durham" and a really cheesy one for "The Delta Force". Most of them are just kinda inoffensive. The two best ones are, not surprisingly, the ones based on actual Saul Bass designs: "West Side Story" and "Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."

Click to enlarge.

Basticle posted:

Some Polish posters, applogies if any are reposts
Two great ones I didn't see in there:

(Wall Street)

(Danton)

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 20, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

I'm imagining whatever this guy is about to say has something to to with Bitcoins, the FEMA death camps, or how Darren Wilson is an American hero. Also, this is shamelessly cribbed from a Norman Rockwell painting:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Pretty sure the IMAX snype is something leftover from a temp poster. I also wouldn't be surprised if the makers of the film get a C&D as IMAX is trademarked and fairly protective of their brand.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
How do you mention awesome 70s font without posting the "Foxy Brown" poster?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I see they hired Tommy Wiseau's graphic designer:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I thought the MPAA was pretty strict on 'don't point guns at the viewer' when it came to posters. Has this changed, or did Lionsgate not run this by them before they decided to post it?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Fast Five" was basically Soderbergh's "Ocean's Eleven" with cars, "Fast Six" (or was it "Furious 6"?) was a straight-up globe-hopping action adventure more in the mold of modern Bond. I don't know about the rest of the franchise but those two are pretty fun.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Some posters I've come across recently.

I wish this were a policy for every movie.

I think this scene is maybe two minutes in an incredibly moving and sad 2-and-a-half-hour film.

When holiday-themed newspaper ads for movies go too far.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Not only that, he barred critics from seeing it because he didn't want the ending spoiled its first week of release.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Inherent Vice" is getting character posters in time for its nationwide run.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Apparently this spent over two years on the shelf after being finished because it was so bad, and this was at the start of MGM's death spiral. Have a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRzrjMbBdBo&t=9m56s

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The 1953 "War of the Worlds" is pretty drat good and VERY short at only 85 minutes. Sadly, when the film was transferred to digital you could plainly see the wires in practically every shot of the saucers. I've seen the movie on DVD, in 35mm, and on Laserdisc, and only the DVD has that problem, which is really a shame. The saucer designs got reused in "Robinson Crusoe of Mars", which is also very much worth seeing.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm surprised Shaq's head isn't dislodging any ceiling tiles here. I'm sure it does in some rooms.
I can't remember who had this great quote about Shaq's proportions when he was seated at a restaurant: "He looked like the one adult who had to sit at the kiddie table at Thanksgiving."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Oh God that movie. It did disastrously at festivals last fall, like to the point where it took months for it to find distribution, and when it finally did, it was announced it was only going to be released on-demand and DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I saw "Until the End of the World" today, the full director's cut, which is a fantastic movie for all but about 30 minutes towards the end, and wondered how on earth anyone would try to market it back in the day.

The US got this poster:

France got this:

The UK got... this, which is up there with that "Stalker" poster as far as inaccurate covers go:

Yeah this totally looks like it deserves the PG-rating.